shape
carat
color
clarity

Top Light Brown Color vs Champagne Colored Diamonds

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

MissDimity

Shiny_Rock
Went into a store recently that advertised a 1.5 ct ( SI1 clarity) champagne colored diamond for S15 000. Now this seemed a lot to me.
I recently had a 1 ct SI2 top light brown diamond ( which the jeweler advertised as J color) valued at between $1000-1200.

I questioned the sales assisted whether top light brown diamonds and champagne colored diamonds are the same thing, and he said no, that 'top light brown diamonds are a yucky, murky, silvery color' and that 'champagne' colored diamonds were more valuable and had a "lovely warm tone to them'.

I then said what I thought, that 'top light brown diamonds were one and the same to champagne colored diamonds and that the term 'champagne and cognac' were marketing terms only used on brown diamonds to increase there desirably. He dismissed my questioning and said that he was a 'diamond trader' and that I 'should do my research'.

So I am now doing some more research.

My question is are 'top light brown' and 'champagne' colored diamonds the same thing?

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 12/8/2008 4:45:43 AM
Author:MissDimity
Went into a store recently that advertised a 1.5 ct ( SI1 clarity) champagne colored diamond for S15 000. Now this seemed a lot to me.
I recently had a 1 ct SI2 top light brown diamond ( which the jeweler advertised as J color) valued at between $1000-1200.

I questioned the sales assisted whether top light brown diamonds and champagne colored diamonds are the same thing, and he said no, that 'top light brown diamonds are a yucky, murky, silvery color' and that 'champagne' colored diamonds were more valuable and had a 'lovely warm tone to them'.

I then said what I thought, that 'top light brown diamonds were one and the same to champagne colored diamonds and that the term 'champagne and cognac' were marketing terms only used on brown diamonds to increase there desirably. He dismissed my questioning and said that he was a 'diamond trader' and that I 'should do my research'.

So I am now doing some more research.

My question is are 'top light brown' and 'champagne' colored diamonds the same thing?
This was quoted from a gemologist who used to post here.

"TTLB is related to colour grading in diamonds, this grade falls into the brown series, stands for Top Top Light brown, a slightly tinted white diamond (J-L)grading with a tint of brown. You've probably seen TLB as well lower colour grade (M-0) with a tint of brown, Top Light Brown. "

I would surmise from this that champagnes are in a slightly different category.

MissDimity

Shiny_Rock
That still doesn't answer the question of how they compare to champagne diamonds. As your info only specifies what a TLB is but what is a champagne colored diamond?

I saw this on another diamond site:
http://www.indygem.com/productinfo_diamonds.htm

"Brown diamonds have a tint of brownish body color. The brown group is usually less expensive than any other group due to the fact that they are less appealing to most consumers. In their lightest tones, they face up reasonably white in a yellow setting. These stones are often described as "TLB" or Top Light Brown. The brown group is graded by tone, from light to dark in much the same way as other diamonds, however their appearance may be slightly whiter than a diamond of slightly yellowish body color, in the same color grade range. Establishing the correct value with regard to significantly brown diamonds is difficult. The Argyle mines in Australia produce a significant quantity of brown diamonds, and have successfully marketed them using the descriptive names, "cognac" and "champagne".

This supports my theory that they are one and the same.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 12/8/2008 4:59:29 AM
Author: MissDimity
That still doesn't answer the question of how they compare to champagne diamonds. As your info only specifies what a TLB is but what is a champagne colored diamond?

I saw this on another diamond site:
http://www.indygem.com/productinfo_diamonds.htm

'Brown diamonds have a tint of brownish body color. The brown group is usually less expensive than any other group due to the fact that they are less appealing to most consumers. In their lightest tones, they face up reasonably white in a yellow setting. These stones are often described as 'TLB' or Top Light Brown. The brown group is graded by tone, from light to dark in much the same way as other diamonds, however their appearance may be slightly whiter than a diamond of slightly yellowish body color, in the same color grade range. Establishing the correct value with regard to significantly brown diamonds is difficult. The Argyle mines in Australia produce a significant quantity of brown diamonds, and have successfully marketed them using the descriptive names, 'cognac' and 'champagne'.

This supports my theory that they are one and the same.
It has always been my understanding that TLB diamonds have a whitish appearance face up and the brown tint is seen from the side, hence they can look like ' white' diamonds from the top, whereas champagne can have a definite tint throughout and usually don't look like white diamonds. Apparently TLB/ TTLB's are sometimes used in mall jewellery such as tennis bracelets etc due to the whitish face up appearance, and I think there is also a difference in value between the TLB/ TTLB's and champagnes.

Lets wait and see what one of the experts says.

Garry H (Cut Nut)

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
A warm brown Argyle champagne (as opposed to grey greenish) is worth more as an inexpensive fancy colored diamond than a TLB.
It is the same as a J- O yellowish stone compared to a fancy intense yellow - some is no good, more is great

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 12/8/2008 5:34:07 AM
Author: Garry H (Cut Nut)
A warm brown Argyle champagne (as opposed to grey greenish) is worth more as an inexpensive fancy colored diamond than a TLB.
It is the same as a J- O yellowish stone compared to a fancy intense yellow - some is no good, more is great
Thanks Garry!
35.gif

MissDimity

Shiny_Rock
That solves it!!!

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 12/8/2008 5:39:32 AM
Author: MissDimity
That solves it!!!
He did indeed!!
36.gif
36.gif
36.gif
36.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results