shape
carat
color
clarity

Breeder or animal shelter? What did you choose?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

gwendolyn

Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/25/2008 3:52:20 PM
Author: elrohwen
Date: 11/25/2008 1:57:19 PM

Author: gwendolyn

Date: 11/25/2008 1:41:05 PM

A question for the cat lovers: As a non-cat person, it seems to me that the vast majority of cats come from shelters or are strays; is this true? Why don''t more people get cats from breeders? I would assume it''s because cats don''t do things like hunt, water rescue, etc so it''s not important to get one with particular traits like it is for dogs. I''m just curious
1.gif

I haven''t had my own cats yet because I''ve lived in rented rooms in houses/small apartments and have moved to another country recently, but growing up most of our cats were Siamese, purchased from a breeder. My parents had two cats they rescued and both had major issues most likely due to abuse from their former homes. The rescue cats were randomly violent and would bite and scratch anything that moved, including my baby brother''s face. He ended up ok, but the cat very nearly clawed his eyes while my mom was holding him. That was when my parents decided that they didn''t want to risk the unknown of having a rescue cat. My mother has always loved the talkative, attentive personalities of Siamese cats and did lots of research and met the cats a number of times before deciding which kittens we''d take home.

When it is my turn to get some feline family members, I hope to compromise and find a breed-specific rescue option so I can rescue some Siamese babies, since I''m crazy about them now too.
1.gif

Gwen, are cats from a breeder as expensive as dogs from a breeder?

I love Siamese too! They''re beautiful. I got to cat-sit for a pair once and they were so sweet.
Not sure how much dogs from breeders cost, but the Siamese cats my family have ranged from $300 each to $600 each (over the years, the more recent ones have cost more, 3 years ago $520 and 2 years ago, $600). I love them too, but don''t like the price tag associated with them!
6.gif

My mom considers the price to be an investment because she thinks purebreds are less likely to have emotional and/or physical problems. The last kitten she got did have a slight heart murmur which was discovered a month or so after he came to live with my parents, and the breeder said that she would either trade the kitten in for another (would never do that!) or cover the cost of any medications or surgeries for the first six months. After a few months of pills, the kitten grew out of the heart murmur (which was what the vet said would probably happen anyway), but it was nice that the breeder helped out financially and felt partially responsible for the health of the kitten, and didn''t want us to feel scammed by her or anything I guess.

BriBee

Brilliant_Rock
I''ve done everything: breeder, shelter, and purebred rescue. I''ve had good experiences all around, but I swear that the purebreds from the breeder are extra snobby :)
There''s something about rescue and shelters that I really like, I''ve always gotten the most loving pets going this route, it''s almost as if they know you''ve rescued them and they''re grateful.
My favorite experience has been doing the purebred rescue. I got 2 dogs going this route, one that was almost 2.5 years old and one that was 10 months. As much as I love puppies, it was so nice to not have to go through all the housebreaking and destructiveness that can accompany a new puppy.
Most rescues have older dogs, but you can find puppies sometimes. I actually found a lot of dogs that were anywhere from about 6-18 months old, to me this is the best of both worlds. They are still fairly young and there''s plenty of time for training, but you get to skip the crazy puppy stuff.

julesbeth

Brilliant_Rock
I have 2 shelter cats and I adore my babies :) When we are finally ready for a dog I think we will prob also go the shelter route. I would love a cavalier king charles but I just know there are so many shelter dogs that need homes too (and won''t cost 1K!)

Loves Vintage

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I just want to thank everyone again for your wonderful stories. So many are so beautiful and it warms my heart that so many people support animal shelters and rescues. The shelter near my home in CT that I have volunteered at is absolutely wonderful and does great things for its dogs (and cats I''m sure! I''m too allergic to check out that side of the shelter for very long). My favorite thing about the way the shelter is run is that they are very very careful about fitting the right dog with the right family. All family members, including dogs and cats, must meet with the dog at least once under supervision and the adopters references are checked. I will definitely adopt from shelters or breed rescues at some point in my life and I hope to be able to adopt from this wonderful local shelter. (LovesVintage, you''re from CT as well? Which shelter did you visit?)

It''s also great to hear from those of you who got a dog from a breeder. NEL, I was particularly hoping you would post as I know how involved you are with Byron and Newfs in general. I completely agree with wanting to get dogs that were bred to do what they''ve always done. I want a hunting breed and will buy from a hunting line (though Brittanys have by far the most dual championship dogs, so it''s relatively easy to find a dog bred for both beauty and hunting ability). I don''t actually hunt, but I love being in the woods and want a dog who can do obedience and field sports (besides loving their personality).

I think there''s a place for dogs from breeders and from shelters and it has always interested me how people choose which path to take.

A question for the cat lovers: As a non-cat person, it seems to me that the vast majority of cats come from shelters or are strays; is this true? Why don''t more people get cats from breeders? I would assume it''s because cats don''t do things like hunt, water rescue, etc so it''s not important to get one with particular traits like it is for dogs. I''m just curious
1.gif

Hi elrohwen!

Nice to meet a neighbor on PS!! I live in New Haven county. I''ve adopted from the Bethany, Newington and Meriden humane societies. I once adopted a purebred Siamese from the Mansfield animal shelter -- found him on petfinder too. He was an older cat, scared to death in the shelter and had been dropped off there by the children of a woman who had just passed away. He was an extraordinary cat, that I actually had to re-home to my mother''s house because he did not get along with one of my male cats and would mark in my house despite being neutered. Strangely, he had no issues with any of my mother''s 6 other cats (and would even cuddle with them). So cute!!!

I''ve also been to the Westport humane society, where my mother adopted 2 sister kittens!

Mariposa

Shiny_Rock
We have three dogs, two of them we got four years ago from a kill shelter, one we adopted in April of this year from a rescue. I don''t mean to offend anyone who may go the breeder route, but it saddens me when those who are looking for animals don''t consider rescue. We actually saved our German Shepherd from being put down. She was deemed "unadoptable" due to her age and health issues. She was scheduled to be put down the week before, but because of some technicality she was spared. When we saw the red tag on her kennel, the decision was made. She''s now had 4 wonderful years that she wouldn''t have had otherwise. She''s on a host of medications and she''s quite the diva, but she''s so lovable and rewards us every day for saving her life! Our big boy almost starved to death and our little one was abandoned by being thrown out of a car window.

I know it sounds cheesy, but if I had one wish, it wouldn''t be for world peace, it would be for all unwanted animals to find loving homes.

1.gif

Mariposa

NewEnglandLady

Ideal_Rock
I just want to thank everyone again for your wonderful stories. So many are so beautiful and it warms my heart that so many people support animal shelters and rescues. The shelter near my home in CT that I have volunteered at is absolutely wonderful and does great things for its dogs (and cats I'm sure! I'm too allergic to check out that side of the shelter for very long). My favorite thing about the way the shelter is run is that they are very very careful about fitting the right dog with the right family. All family members, including dogs and cats, must meet with the dog at least once under supervision and the adopters references are checked. I will definitely adopt from shelters or breed rescues at some point in my life and I hope to be able to adopt from this wonderful local shelter. (LovesVintage, you're from CT as well? Which shelter did you visit?)

It's also great to hear from those of you who got a dog from a breeder. NEL, I was particularly hoping you would post as I know how involved you are with Byron and Newfs in general. I completely agree with wanting to get dogs that were bred to do what they've always done. I want a hunting breed and will buy from a hunting line (though Brittanys have by far the most dual championship dogs, so it's relatively easy to find a dog bred for both beauty and hunting ability). I don't actually hunt, but I love being in the woods and want a dog who can do obedience and field sports (besides loving their personality).

I think there's a place for dogs from breeders and from shelters and it has always interested me how people choose which path to take.

A question for the cat lovers: As a non-cat person, it seems to me that the vast majority of cats come from shelters or are strays; is this true? Why don't more people get cats from breeders? I would assume it's because cats don't do things like hunt, water rescue, etc so it's not important to get one with particular traits like it is for dogs. I'm just curious
1.gif
Are you guys leaning towards a Brittany? When we first started thinking of breeds a Brittany was D's #1 choice. Mine was a lab, haha. Two very energetic breeds and we ended up realizing a newf was much more our pace.

I noticed there are 2 regional Brittany clubs around CT--the closest is the Southern New England Brittany Club (http://www.snebc.org/) and the other (which looks larger) is the Central New England Brittany Club (http://www.cnebc.net/index.html). Since you won't be getting a dog for a year or two, it might be fun to go watch the hunting tests and field trials. I used to love going to the water rescue trials at our regional club (long before getting Byron) and it was a fantastic way to get to know the breed better and get to know my favorite breeders. In fact, it's how I met both Byron and Boatswain's breeders--watching the dogs in action really allowed me to see which breeders produced the best-performing dogs. You should give it a shot if you have a chance.

If you do get a hunting dog, I woud highly recommed getting him involved in the hunting/field trial tests, I think it's a fabulous way to allow them to use their natural instincts.

Krissie

Brilliant_Rock
Both of our fellas are from rescues. I found our kitty, Tino, at a rescue when he was around 6 months old. He''s part Maine Coon and was so docile and loving when I got him - I knew nothing about cats, but the rescue did a home visit to follow up, and they were great with communication for any questions, etc. He''s a beautiful boy and many people would never believe he was covered in fleas and ringworm when I got him!

Our pug, Napoleon, is from a pug rescue. We knew we wanted a pug, but there are so many unscrupulous breeders out there that I wasn''t sure I could trust a random breeder. We love our pug rescue - it was a very complex and in-depth process to get approved, but that''s so they could make a good personality match. We were able to read all about him and state our preference. It was great to know our little guy before we physically "met" him -- he''s blind, but we had been told he was very mobile and capable, etc. We knew he had been abused, but we also knew from his foster mom that he was very kind and loving with no aggression issues. There were no real surprises.

I would never do anything but shelter/rescue. It''s one of the rare chances you may have to save a life, you know?

princesss

Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/25/2008 11:40:56 AM
Author: AmberGretchen
Date: 11/24/2008 9:53:28 PM

Author: princesss

Date: 11/24/2008 9:19:46 PM

I guess I wasn''t really asking for advice so much as stories about how and why you chose where your pet came from and the experiences you''ve had.

Thanks again! It''s great to see so many shelter supporters.

Okay...my experiences. I went in to the shelter to get a dog. I had wanted a dog (but longed for a cat), and went to the shelter to see what dogs they had, and research the shelter a little. I wanted to see what kinds of animals they had, what kind of environment they were in, etc. I went and looked at the kittens, turned around, and there was my Lola. She was London then, and in the top cage in her row. I stayed with her for 45 minutes, left, went to my rental agent to get proof that I could have cats, I went to Petsmart so I wouldn''t have to leave right after I got her, and then went back to the shelter. I left with Lola 40 minutes later.

Since I got her, life has been wonderful. I have a little furry lovebug greeting me at the door every day, and a snuggle buddy at night. A few months ago I got her a little brother, who had actually been at the shelter when I got her. Poor boy was born in the shelter, so I''m the only real home he''s known. I love it. They''ve brought a ton of joy to my life. Plus...they were cheap. Haha.
2.gif
Lola was $38 and Ezra was $80, and they were spayed and neutered and up to date on all of their shots. They were litter trained, and very well behaved (other than Ezra loving to sharpen his claws on my bed and coffee table). Obviously if you''re considering a breeder that''s not much of a concern, but you can take what you budgeted and immediately start a vet visit fund.

While I think you''ll bond wonderfully with any animal you get, I have found a special bond between me and my kitties that the people I know who didn''t rescue their cats don''t have. It means the world to me to have my two fuzzy heads running to greet me when I get home from work, and two warm bodies curled up on the bed with me at night.

OK, not to threadjack, but Princess - reading this made me tear up a little bit. As a shelter volunteer, this is so touching - you so perfectly capture the profound joy that rescued animals can bring to peoples'' lives. I think you should share this story, and pictures of your babies, with the shelter where you got them and perhaps also the HSUS - I''m sure they''d appreciate hearing from someone so eloquent
9.gif

Thanks, AG! I''ve actually got both of my furbabies snuggled up next to me on the couch right now, so I''m extra full of love and cuddles, lol. (I started this post 10 minutes ago, but couldn''t type because they wanted me to pet them and they''re rather impossible to ignore.)

El - on the cats being mostly shelter cats issue, I researched breeds and breed rescues, and I love Siamese and Russian Blues, and probably will get one from a rescue someday. But when I got Lola, I desperately needed companionship. I knew I had a good home and that I had enough money to cover surprise vet bills (and would happily take a second and third job if something really super expensive came up), so I started investigating the shelter for a lovable mutt of my very own. I ended up with a very proper lady who isn''t much good as an early warning system if somebody wanted to break in, but she and her brother are really what makes coming home at night something to look forward to. Neither of them are purebred, but I went in looking for a mutt and came out with one.

I should mention that BF is looking into getting a boxer, and because he is very specific about the breed that he wants and has done a ton of research on temperament, activity level, and so on and realized that a boxer is the dog for him, he''ll be going through a breed specific rescue here in NC.

Apsara

Shiny_Rock
This is a sensitive topic but I feel strongly that this is a situation where "if you''re not part of the solution, thenyou''re part of the problem."

The suffering of unwanted pets is a true crisis in our country and the world. i recommend you do everything in your power to find a suitable companion via shelter or rescue. the fact you are so conlicted is a very clear sign of what is going on inside of you--you know deep down going to a breeder isn''t helping things and means one less deserving animal will be saved. Are you looking for someone to tell you "it''s ok"...? Well, some poeple might but the truth is that anyone with the capacity to love and care for an animal--such as you--should go rescue/adoption route.

I work in animal rescue and it''s a struggle every day not to become chronically depressed and feel almost like the world isn''t worth living in--sounds dramatic, I know, but the abuse and suffering I witness is almost too much. All dogs want is human love and acceptance--when they are deprived of this, it''s almost too much to bear to witness their suffering. I encourage you to search your heart and offer your love to a shelter or rescue dog.

The ASPCA says "Don''t breed or buy while homeless pets continue to die." I think that sums it up pretty well.

littlelysser

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 11/25/2008 10:12:04 PM
Author: Apsara
This is a sensitive topic but I feel strongly that this is a situation where 'if you're not part of the solution, thenyou're part of the problem.'

I find this statement insulting.

My DH and I researched and researched what breed of dog would be best for us - for our lifestyle and personalities - and we researched breeders and found a wonderful dog. We got our first dog from a breeder - he is a wonderful Ibizan Hound and I don't regret our decision for a moment. Without responsible breeders, the quirky, fantastic, beautiful dog that is our Ibizan would not exist.

I am a regular contributor to the HSUS and Best Friends, as well as several animal shelters. I have volunteered at a local animal shelter. Because I believe in rescue, our second dog is a shelter muttski. Both dogs are loved and live quite the life.

For you to imply that DH and I are part of the problem of unwanted dogs because we researched what breed of dog would be best for us and purchased from a reputable breeder, is highly offensive.

ETA: You'll note that the OP specifically stated that she wasn't looking for opinions on this subject.

moremoremore

Ideal_Rock
No brainer for me. Shelter.

As for cats at shelters, to most cat people, having a pure breed just isn't that important so shelters are the obvious choise...and there are sooo many cats in shelters because people are stupid...they don't fix their cats and let them outside...and frankly, cats are third class citizens...if there is a dog wandering outside, it's the end of the world, if there's a cat outside, oh, it's "natural"..."they like it better outside"....uuhh, wrong...so there are more and more cats ouside and more and more that need saving...I do understand a desire to want to preserve a breed and blood line...I might even go so far as to say it's important (why I don't know)...but I could never, ever buy from someone who intentionally breeds cats when MILLIONS are euthanized each year....Anyhoo....my shelter mutt wants some love so it's time to cuddle :)

I think it's a common misconception that shelter animals have behavioral issues...most of the times it's their former owners who have the behavioural issues...
My friend just took in a chocolate lab from her clients who were moving and didn't want the dog to scratch up the new house floors. WHAT? and OMG, this dog is amazing.....just amazing....so well behaved and a most beautiful specimen!!!!

You go Apsara! I really applaude and appreciate your passion...

BigDiamonds

Brilliant_Rock
I know I''m a little late to the party here, but as one of the few people who seem to have bought a cat from a breeder, I want to weigh in too.
1.gif

If you would have told me a year ago that I would pay $800+ for a cat, I probably would have been insulted. Why in the world would a person do that??? Here is why: without boring you with the details, I only wanted a cat if I could have one that acted like a dog. I actually learned about Ragdolls on this board and I knew they were just perfect for me. I know you can end up with cats with very similar personality traits at a shelter, but you don''t really know their personalities, or the personalities of their parents. It''s a gamble. I was very specific in my needs, and I was afraid to get a pet from a shelter and end up with a pet that wasn''t what I wanted. We bought Coltrane, our cat, from a breeder and he is so perfect that I can''t imagine having done it any other way. For me to commit to a pet, I needed to know that there was a high probability that the pet would be what I expected.

That said, I had both purebred and rescue kitties and puppies growing up, and both were great. Our best dog ever wandered up to my mom while I was at the dentist. He was clearly starving and had been stray for a whle. Long story short, he went home with us and never left. He was so sweet and grateful for his home, he was by far the best behaved dog we ever had.

In my humble opinion, it''s a personal choice and you have to know what you''re getting into either way. If you choose to rescue, do your research and be prepared. If you choose to buy from a breeder, do your research and be prepared. Insightful, huh?
2.gif

NewEnglandLady

Ideal_Rock
This is a sensitive topic but I feel strongly that this is a situation where 'if you're not part of the solution, thenyou're part of the problem.'

The suffering of unwanted pets is a true crisis in our country and the world. i recommend you do everything in your power to find a suitable companion via shelter or rescue. the fact you are so conlicted is a very clear sign of what is going on inside of you--you know deep down going to a breeder isn't helping things and means one less deserving animal will be saved. Are you looking for someone to tell you 'it's ok'...? Well, some poeple might but the truth is that anyone with the capacity to love and care for an animal--such as you--should go rescue/adoption route.

I work in animal rescue and it's a struggle every day not to become chronically depressed and feel almost like the world isn't worth living in--sounds dramatic, I know, but the abuse and suffering I witness is almost too much. All dogs want is human love and acceptance--when they are deprived of this, it's almost too much to bear to witness their suffering. I encourage you to search your heart and offer your love to a shelter or rescue dog.

The ASPCA says 'Don't breed or buy while homeless pets continue to die.' I think that sums it up pretty well.
As a person who currently works in rescue and has volunteered in multiple shelters, I would recommend that you take a break. Honestly. Being clinically depressed is obviously unhealth for you, but it has a negative effect on other volunteers and even the animals.

I personally believe that irresponsible breeders and irresponsible owners are the problem and that breeders who dedicate their lives to improving the breed and placing them in responsible homes (i.e. homes where owners don't believe dogs are companions and that's IT) is the best solution.

Miscka

Brilliant_Rock
NEL-you are just so da*n cool. Seriously!

I got my baby from a breeder. I always had shelter cats, but I knew I wanted a small dog and when I was ready the local shelter didn''t have any. I could have looked further, but I didn''t . In hindsight I wish I had, but hey, 20/20.

I did research out the wazoo (hey I am a PSer) and thought that I had picked a good breeder. She was really really kind and helpful. I went and got him and it was love at first sight. HOWEVER I know now that she was, in fact, not a great breeder, as my dog is about twice as big as she predicted/breed standard.

I would not trade him for ANYTHING in this world, and obviously his size makes no real difference to me (in fact I like it), but it *is* a sign of bad breeding.

I urge you to just do as much research as you can, and give yourself as much time as possible to arrive at a good choice for you and your life. It may take awhile for the right thing to come along. And don''t let anyone pressure you either way. Loving an animal is a great joy and I am sure you will find a great pet no matter what.

elrohwen

Ideal_Rock
NEL, we are definitely leaning towards a Brittany right now. I wanted a Wheaten Terrier (grew up with terriers, love them), but FI''s against them for whatever reason. He wants a beagle, but I''ve had experience with beagles and while they''re adorable and super friendly great dogs, they''re just not the perfect dogs for us. FI had a Brittany growing up and I''ve known a few, so we started researching them and I think they''re really the perfect dogs for us. It''s great to know that you and your hubby loved them too! They''re a wonderful breed. Thanks for looking up some breed clubs, I''ll absolutely have to check those out. I''ve found a few breeders online, but I''m sure by going to a Brittany club I''ll be able to find many more to look into. And like I said, I don''t actually hunt (I could never shoot anything) but I would love to train a dog for field trials and be able to stimulate their instincts. I think it''s so wonderful that you take such an interest in your breed and continuing their traditions.

LovesVintage, I''m in Fairfield County and have worked at the Danbury shelter (and will go back there as soon as I''m not traveling all the time for work). It''s great to know there are so many other good shelters around the state! My ex-boss adopted a dog from the New Haven shelter and talks constantly about how great he is.

Apsara, I don''t think that volunteering at a shelter should make you depressed in any way. In the times I''ve done it, I''ve only bee uplifted by all the wonderful dogs who were so lovely despite their backgrounds. Maybe I was lucky that my shelter had a high adoption rate, but very few dogs were in there longer than a few weeks before finding a home, so I never felt depressed for them. The few dogs with behavior issues that couldn''t find homes were welcomed there for up to years at a time and despite being in a shelter led wonderful lives. They were often taken home by volunteers and given tons of attention until the right person came along to adopt them. Shelters don''t have to be depressing places and it''s probably better for the health of the animals if the people working with them are happy and excited to be there, not depressed.

I''m also not looking for any real advice on my situation, as I know I will get a dog from a breeder and also that I will get a dog from a shelter at some point. I don''t think there''s anything wrong with either of those choices; different things work for different people. I also think it says a lot that many of those with dogs from breeders are very active with local shelters and breed rescues. There''s more than one way to give back to a cause we''re all passionate about.

BeeCushion, I might be insane, but I actually want the crazy puppy stuff! At least once before my life is hectic with kids and things
1.gif
I don''t see myself having kids for quite a few years, so maybe my maternal instinct is just dying to mother a puppy
41.gif

forensics1

Rough_Rock
Shelter, hands down. I have *bought* dogs in the past from breeders that had papers and excellent bloodlines, etc. and one of the Labs had hip displasiya and the other was diagnosed with cancer and had to be put down at the young age of 4. The vet said that the breeder was probably breeding too close bloodlines together.

DBF and I went on a hunt for our dog now, and after searching each and every shelter we have the best dog anyone could ask for. She''s a pit bull/boxer mix and is about 50lbs and gorgeous!! She is so thankful for us and us for her. You can read her soul through her eyes and shes hystarical, let alone she thinks shes a 10lb lap dog. DBF and I kid all the time that if we ever broke up there would be a custody battle over the dog!! Yes, she has her anxiety issues (she was found @ 3 months tied up in a dumpster scavaging for food), but the crate and tons of attention seems to fix all that. She is best friends with everyone she meets!

With that said, so many dogs/cats/animals are abandoned and NEED a forever home. Stella was $90 to adopt and she was spayed, vaccinated and came with a collar and a bag of food. The humane society came to do a home inspection and after we were ok''d we took her home. 2 years later she is more amazing than ever. Seeing those dogs so sad with no family made me so sad. Once we get a bigger place our Stella will have siblings.

Elegant

Brilliant_Rock
I did both. I fostered a lot too - lots of dogs from a Doberman Rescue and the Beagle rescue. That helped me with choosing characteristics and traits that I liked in dogs.

I went to a Beagle rescue for our first dog, then I went to a breeder for my Rottie, and then I went to a breeder for my Maltese.

coatimundi_org

Ideal_Rock
Shelter (my pup is from a shelter) or rescue--hands down. There are too many animals out there that need homes.

bee*

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/26/2008 9:30:40 AM
Author: NewEnglandLady

This is a sensitive topic but I feel strongly that this is a situation where ''if you''re not part of the solution, thenyou''re part of the problem.''

The suffering of unwanted pets is a true crisis in our country and the world. i recommend you do everything in your power to find a suitable companion via shelter or rescue. the fact you are so conlicted is a very clear sign of what is going on inside of you--you know deep down going to a breeder isn''t helping things and means one less deserving animal will be saved. Are you looking for someone to tell you ''it''s ok''...? Well, some poeple might but the truth is that anyone with the capacity to love and care for an animal--such as you--should go rescue/adoption route.

I work in animal rescue and it''s a struggle every day not to become chronically depressed and feel almost like the world isn''t worth living in--sounds dramatic, I know, but the abuse and suffering I witness is almost too much. All dogs want is human love and acceptance--when they are deprived of this, it''s almost too much to bear to witness their suffering. I encourage you to search your heart and offer your love to a shelter or rescue dog.

The ASPCA says ''Don''t breed or buy while homeless pets continue to die.'' I think that sums it up pretty well.

As a person who currently works in rescue and has volunteered in multiple shelters, I would recommend that you take a break. Honestly. Being clinically depressed is obviously unhealth for you, but it has a negative effect on other volunteers and even the animals.

I personally believe that irresponsible breeders and irresponsible owners are the problem and that breeders who dedicate their lives to improving the breed and placing them in responsible homes (i.e. homes where owners don''t believe dogs are companions and that''s IT) is the best solution.

ditto NEL. I worked in our spca for 8 years and loved it and loved the animals working there, however there is nothing wrong with getting a pure bred dog from a responsible breeder. If you are getting clinically depressed, I would take a break for your own well being.

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
All of the cats I''ve ever had have been either from shelters or from homes where people were giving away free kittens. I''d never go with a breeder because there are so many homeless cats needing good homes. Simple as that.

trillionaire

Ideal_Rock
FWIW, responsible breeders are not the problem.

As per my breeder, I have learned so much about pet health and vaccines. I have a 5 year guarantee against health defects, and she will provide me with another puppy, gratis, if my dog has genetic defects. (No, she would not take my DD away!) I have a copy of my dogs family tree, I know how my dogs littermates are doing, and I have a network of people to keep me abreast of breed specific issues (dermoid sinus, etc). My breeder supports all of her owners in various events (agility, lure coursing, tracking, showing) and promotes breed literacy and health, and has a web forum for all of her owners (around the world!). She is meticulous about bloodlines and breeding dogs with sound temperament, and makes herself so available for any questions or crises. I was required to sign a contract to spay my dog before a year of age, so that I don't try to breed dogs myself to make money on the side. I was legally obligated to do so. She INTERVIEWED ME before she would consider me for a placement. (Actually most of the breeders that I contacted had application forms for puppies, and required meetings or interviews.) If I cannot take care of my dog, if I change my mind about my dog, now or EVER, she will take my dog back, no questions. She will not let her dogs go without homes. She actually just performed an intervention, and had to take a dog back from an owner that couldn't handle it. (already had several dogs, and the 3rd dog wasn't meshing with the others after a full year.) She is active with rescue and a watchdog for puppy mills and irresponsible breeders. She has dedicated her life to this breed. She has no children, just her dog family!

This is my second Rhodesian Ridgeback, and they are not all that common or popular. The breed temperament suits me, and I doubt I would ever own any other kind of dog. I think it's really awful the way that people 'judge' people for getting a dog from a breeder, as if it is a 'bad' or misguided decision. It's kind of (though not exactly) like telling someone that you think they are selfish for having kids rather than adopting. It's just a personal decision.

I love my dog. (she is sleeping in the closet on a pile a clothes right now, lol!) I can tell you, I am not part of the problem just because my dog is pure breed. And it is not fair to suggest that I am.

ETA: The link is NOT to my breeder, just a website with pictures of RRs
1.gif

Elegant

Brilliant_Rock
I think an even balance is good. Like I said in my previous post, we bought pure bred and rescued many dogs. I think buying from pet stores is NOT a wise choice whatsoever because that supports puppy mills. I don''t think that my purchasing a pure bred dog, with all of the traits that I love (I love the Maltese breed and wanted it in pure form), is bad. I do believe in a balance with rescues too - they are good dogs and need the right family that they are compatible with.

Apsara

Shiny_Rock

The suffering of unwanted pets is a true crisis in our country and the world. i recommend you do everything in your power to find a suitable companion via shelter or rescue. the fact you are so conlicted is a very clear sign of what is going on inside of you--you know deep down going to a breeder isn't helping things and means one less deserving animal will be saved. Are you looking for someone to tell you 'it's ok'...? Well, some poeple might but the truth is that anyone with the capacity to love and care for an animal--such as you--should go rescue/adoption route.

I work in animal rescue and it's a struggle every day not to become chronically depressed and feel almost like the world isn't worth living in--sounds dramatic, I know, but the abuse and suffering I witness is almost too much. All dogs want is human love and acceptance--when they are deprived of this, it's almost too much to bear to witness their suffering. I encourage you to search your heart and offer your love to a shelter or rescue dog.

The ASPCA says 'Don't breed or buy while homeless pets continue to die.' I think that sums it up pretty well.

I personally believe that irresponsible breeders and irresponsible owners are the problem and that breeders who dedicate their lives to improving the breed and placing them in responsible homes (i.e. homes where owners don't believe dogs are companions and that's IT) is the best solution.
You don't know me. And if you read my words carefully, you'll see that I wrote it's a struggle not to become very depressed/upset. I can assure you that i don't have psycological issues. And your Ph.D. is from where?

That aside, I agree the core issue is the irresponsibility of HUMANS... if we could remedy that, there'd be no shelters and this whole thread would be a moot point.

EAT: A lot of people looking for breeder dogs want absolution--they know deep inside it's an issue when so many great dogs are homeless but they want soemone to say, "awwww--it's ok beacuse you (pick one) volunterr, send money, will adopt in the future..." And the truth is, it's exactly like the ASPCA says: Don't breed or buy while homeless pets continue to die." So you can make exucses and be all offended but your issue isn't with me, it's with reality.

The only redeeming detail here is at least people are starting to wake up to pet stores and puppy mills. I guess a "reputable breeder" is better than THAT.

Miranda

Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/26/2008 5:41:02 PM
Author: trillionaire

As per my breeder, I have learned so much about pet health and vaccines. I have a 5 year guarantee against health defects, and she will provide me with another puppy, gratis, if my dog has genetic defects. (No, she would not take my DD away!) I have a copy of my dogs family tree, I know how my dogs littermates are doing, and I have a network of people to keep me abreast of breed specific issues (dermoid sinus, etc). My breeder supports all of her owners in various events (agility, lure coursing, tracking, showing) and promotes breed literacy and health, and has a web forum for all of her owners (around the world!). She is meticulous about bloodlines and breeding dogs with sound temperament, and makes herself so available for any questions or crises. I was required to sign a contract to spay my dog before a year of age, so that I don''t try to breed dogs myself to make money on the side. I was legally obligated to do so. She INTERVIEWED ME before she would consider me for a placement. (Actually most of the breeders that I contacted had application forms for puppies, and required meetings or interviews.) If I cannot take care of my dog, if I change my mind about my dog, now or EVER, she will take my dog back, no questions. She will not let her dogs go without homes. She actually just performed an intervention, and had to take a dog back from an owner that couldn''t handle it. (already had several dogs, and the 3rd dog wasn''t meshing with the others after a full year.) She is active with rescue and a watchdog for puppy mills and irresponsible breeders. She has dedicated her life to this breed. She has no children, just her dog family!

This is my second Rhodesian Ridgeback, and they are not all that common or popular. The breed temperament suits me, and I doubt I would ever own any other kind of dog. I think it''s really awful the way that people ''judge'' people for getting a dog from a breeder, as if it is a ''bad'' or misguided decision. It''s kind of (though not exactly) like telling someone that you think they are selfish for having kids rather than adopting. It''s just a personal decision.

I love my dog. (she is sleeping in the closet on a pile a clothes right now, lol!) I can tell you, I am not part of the problem just because my dog is pure breed. And it is not fair to suggest that I am.

1.gif
36.gif
I have a Ridgeback, too! He is the best dog in the world! I am totally with you that I do not think I can ever own a different breed. We are considering getting a puppy (or rescue...possibly) in the next year or so as my guy is 9. I chuckled when you said yours is in the laundry pile. That''s exactly where mine is. He''s all curled up is DS''s bedroom chair atop a pile of laundry. Does yours pick through for the dryer sheet? Mine finds it and then shreads it.

Ditto everything trillionaire said about breeders. Just think of what would happen if people didn''t buy pedigreed animals. The lines would die out and we''d all have to spend tax dollars in government breeding programs because they would be on the endangered species list!
3.gif

To answer the original question, both my cat and dog are from a breeder. I have them because I love the breeds and they both work well for my family. With the dog we were not willing ''try out'' a pet to see is he was aggressive. We had two kids when we got our dog and have three now. We researched breeds and met with breeders for months before we found our dog. OTOH, I''ve had terrible experiences with purebred cats (not the one I have now). I had two in my teens that both died young and had health problems. With the exception of those two and my current kitty all of my cats have been kittens that I (or someone else who called me knowing I would take it
9.gif
) found wandering around. They were all wonderful cats! Then again, I have never met a cat I didn''t like! My current cat was a surprise from DH. He knew I have always loved the Ragdoll breed and have wanted one since childhood so he surprised me. While I adore my cat, I just don''t know that I would ever pick a purebred (or at least not a rescue) cat again.

Good luck with your search! I had a Brittany when I was a kid. Her name was Peaches. She was a lively thing!

risingsun

Ideal_Rock
I just want to thank everyone again for your wonderful stories. So many are so beautiful and it warms my heart that so many people support animal shelters and rescues. The shelter near my home in CT that I have volunteered at is absolutely wonderful and does great things for its dogs (and cats I'm sure! I'm too allergic to check out that side of the shelter for very long). My favorite thing about the way the shelter is run is that they are very very careful about fitting the right dog with the right family. All family members, including dogs and cats, must meet with the dog at least once under supervision and the adopters references are checked. I will definitely adopt from shelters or breed rescues at some point in my life and I hope to be able to adopt from this wonderful local shelter. (LovesVintage, you're from CT as well? Which shelter did you visit?)

It's also great to hear from those of you who got a dog from a breeder. NEL, I was particularly hoping you would post as I know how involved you are with Byron and Newfs in general. I completely agree with wanting to get dogs that were bred to do what they've always done. I want a hunting breed and will buy from a hunting line (though Brittanys have by far the most dual championship dogs, so it's relatively easy to find a dog bred for both beauty and hunting ability). I don't actually hunt, but I love being in the woods and want a dog who can do obedience and field sports (besides loving their personality).

I think there's a place for dogs from breeders and from shelters and it has always interested me how people choose which path to take.

A question for the cat lovers: As a non-cat person, it seems to me that the vast majority of cats come from shelters or are strays; is this true? Why don't more people get cats from breeders? I would assume it's because cats don't do things like hunt, water rescue, etc so it's not important to get one with particular traits like it is for dogs. I'm just curious
1.gif
We got our two Maine Coon Cats from a breeder. They are a wonderful breed with specific characteristics. Our boy is turning 20 years old this week and our girl is 12. Different breeds have very different traits. My guys are very laid back. A Siamese owner would have a very different story to tell
2.gif

mia1181

Brilliant_Rock

Well I am coming in late, but I went to a breeder and I would do it completely different the next time around.

I was young and knew I wanted a pug so I found an article in the paper. The man told us it was a girl which is what I wanted, so we drove an hour to find that it was actually a boy. Oh well, after seeing his cute little face, I was sold! The breeder gave us "Dad''s" dog food (real high quality

20.gif
) And I am not kidding you-> baby formula!
33.gif
Luckily we brought him to the vet right away, where they told us to get him on a better dog food and discovered that he had worms.

Now my dog is 7 and here is the list of medical issues he has:
- Addison''s Disease (almost died from this as a puppy, but now it is managable)
- Patella Luxation (Knees pop out- common in pugs)
- Pigmentary Keratitus (Pigment in eyes that can cause blindness, also common in pugs).
- Disk Disease (Partially paralyzed, drags his feet when he walks and needs a wheelchair to go on walks)
- Kidney Tumors (They are small so we are kinda ignoring them right now)
-Bladder Stones

Now it seems like I have "hit the jackpot" when it comes to medical problems, but I can''t help but wonder how much of this is because of an irresponsible breeder. Looking back there where a lot of red flags on my dog''s breeder, but I just wanted a cute little pug so badly! We called to notify him about the Addison''s disease (when that''s all we thought my dog had) and that it might be genetic. He yelled at me and said he has never had any problems with his other dogs.

20.gif

Next time I will do my research. I''d like to rescue, but if I ever bought from a breeder again I would do my research!

Mariposa

Shiny_Rock
Date: 11/26/2008 5:41:02 PM
Author: trillionaire

As per my breeder, I have learned so much about pet health and vaccines. I have a 5 year guarantee against health defects, and she will provide me with another puppy, gratis, if my dog has genetic defects. (No, she would not take my DD away!) I have a copy of my dogs family tree, I know how my dogs littermates are doing, and I have a network of people to keep me abreast of breed specific issues (dermoid sinus, etc). My breeder supports all of her owners in various events (agility, lure coursing, tracking, showing) and promotes breed literacy and health, and has a web forum for all of her owners (around the world!). She is meticulous about bloodlines and breeding dogs with sound temperament, and makes herself so available for any questions or crises. I was required to sign a contract to spay my dog before a year of age, so that I don't try to breed dogs myself to make money on the side. I was legally obligated to do so. She INTERVIEWED ME before she would consider me for a placement. (Actually most of the breeders that I contacted had application forms for puppies, and required meetings or interviews.) If I cannot take care of my dog, if I change my mind about my dog, now or EVER, she will take my dog back, no questions. She will not let her dogs go without homes. She actually just performed an intervention, and had to take a dog back from an owner that couldn't handle it. (already had several dogs, and the 3rd dog wasn't meshing with the others after a full year.) She is active with rescue and a watchdog for puppy mills and irresponsible breeders. She has dedicated her life to this breed. She has no children, just her dog family!

This is my second Rhodesian Ridgeback, and they are not all that common or popular. The breed temperament suits me, and I doubt I would ever own any other kind of dog. I think it's really awful the way that people 'judge' people for getting a dog from a breeder, as if it is a 'bad' or misguided decision. It's kind of (though not exactly) like telling someone that you think they are selfish for having kids rather than adopting. It's just a personal decision.

1.gif

Hi Trillionaire & Miranda,

We have a Ridgeback mix; we're not sure but think he's a RR, Lab, Pitbull mix. I was just wondering how big your Ridgebacks are? Ours weighs 92 lbs...that's after he was put on a strict exercise/diet plan. He nearly starved to death out on the streets, so he really really loves food! He's got the BEST temperament of any dog I've ever had. Needless to say that I LOVE this breed and will likely go through a Ridgeback rescue in the future (when the time comes).

One of my nurses got her Ridgeback from a breeder who was actually going to put her down because she was born without the trademark ridge. When my nurse heard that she had to take her. I couldn't believe it!!! Although, that may have been a ploy to get her to buy the puppy.

Growing up we had a Yorkie as our family dog. We got her from a breeder and she was very serious about Yorkies and proper care and handling for their temperament. She only sold to families without small children and we weren't even allowed to come look at the puppies until they were of a suitable age. Muffin was a great dog and had very few health problems.

I guess the moral of the story is that there are good breeders out there who sincerely care about the animals they handle, and there are ones that just care about the "standard" and getting the most $$ out of the business as they can. We just have to do our homework and make the right choice for our individual situations. Kennel dogs aren't for everyone (but I just can't say no to them).

Anyway, I really just wanted to say "hi" to other Ridgeback lovers. Sorry about running off on tangent.

1.gif

Mariposa

NewEnglandLady

Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/26/2008 10:26:23 PM

You don't know me. And if you read my words carefully, you'll see that I wrote it's a struggle not to become very depressed/upset. I can assure you that i don't have psycological issues. And your Ph.D. is from where?

That aside, I agree the core issue is the irresponsibility of HUMANS... if we could remedy that, there'd be no shelters and this whole thread would be a moot point.

EAT: A lot of people looking for breeder dogs want absolution--they know deep inside it's an issue when so many great dogs are homeless but they want soemone to say, 'awwww--it's ok beacuse you (pick one) volunterr, send money, will adopt in the future...' And the truth is, it's exactly like the ASPCA says: Don't breed or buy while homeless pets continue to die.' So you can make exucses and be all offended but your issue isn't with me, it's with reality.

The only redeeming detail here is at least people are starting to wake up to pet stores and puppy mills. I guess a 'reputable breeder' is better than THAT.

Let's back the crazy train up for a second--nobody is saying you have psychological issues. What I did state was that if you are feeling depressed (you said you were battling chronic depression--that doesn't sound good!), you should take a break for your own well-being. It's not a BAD thing, so there is no need to get upset about it. I completely understand how draining it can be, taking a break if you are overwhelmed is perfectly healthy.

I'm not going to dive into the breeder issue anymore as there is no point--you've made it up in your own head that the best breeders are equivalent to backyard breeders and puppy mills. Pointing out the obvious flaws in that logic would be a waste of time and while I'm not insulted by your "If you buy from a breeder you are a terrible person who doesn't caaaaare and isn't listening to your heeeart" rhetoric, I just hope nobody else is offended by it, either.

Again, I think it is wonderful that you volunteer (again, so long as it's healthy for you). I have met many, MANY wonderful volunteers over the past 5 years or so. Volunteers who are so great that they make me feel an inch tall. That being said, none of them hold a candle to my breeders. Their dedication to the breed is nothing short of inhuman.

Stay passionate, but don't be afraid of knowledge! The more informed you are, the better volunteer you can be!

Apsara

Shiny_Rock
Date: 11/27/2008 8:43:42 AM

Date: 11/26/2008 10:26:23 PM

EAT: A lot of people looking for breeder dogs want absolution--they know deep inside it's an issue when so many great dogs are homeless but they want soemone to say, 'awwww--it's ok beacuse you (pick one) volunterr, send money, will adopt in the future...' And the truth is, it's exactly like the ASPCA says: Don't breed or buy while homeless pets continue to die.' So you can make exucses and be all offended but your issue isn't with me, it's with reality.

The only redeeming detail here is at least people are starting to wake up to pet stores and puppy mills. I guess a 'reputable breeder' is better than THAT.

Let's back the crazy train up for a second--nobody is saying you have psychological issues. What I did state was that if you are feeling depressed (you said you were battling chronic depression--that doesn't sound good!), you should take a break for your own well-being. It's not a BAD thing, so there is no need to get upset about it. I completely understand how draining it can be, taking a break if you are overwhelmed is perfectly healthy.

I'm not going to dive into the breeder issue anymore as there is no point--you've made it up in your own head that the best breeders are equivalent to backyard breeders and puppy mills. Pointing out the obvious flaws in that logic would be a waste of time and while I'm not insulted by your 'If you buy from a breeder you are a terrible person who doesn't caaaaare and isn't listening to your heeeart' rhetoric, I just hope nobody else is offended by it, either.

Again, I think it is wonderful that you volunteer (again, so long as it's healthy for you). I have met many, MANY wonderful volunteers over the past 5 years or so. Volunteers who are so great that they make me feel an inch tall. That being said, none of them hold a candle to my breeders. Their dedication to the breed is nothing short of inhuman.

Stay passionate, but don't be afraid of knowledge! The more informed you are, the better volunteer you can be!
Nice name calling. Real nice. "McSensitive pants". What the heck is that? I never once made comments about anyone's mental state, personal character, anythng--yet I am getting a psychoanalysis not to mention judgements on my level of sensitivity and such. Wow.

Where are the moderators? I know I am not one of the regulars but surely the rules must apply to all. What happend to "no personal attacks?"

AGAIN, I NEVER wrote I was depressed-- made the point that it can be hard not to become depressed/upset when you see all the tragedy. Why you continue to pontifiate about my "depression" is baffling. I also NEVER wrote that breeders are akin to puppy mills. Yes, I do believe that adoption is by far the best route of all but I'd much rather a repsonsible breeder (although by their own admissions, many posters here seem to have had issues with those as well).

*sigh* I do give up. You win. All I try to do is point out the tragedy of unwanted pets in this country. When I see someone ask about where to get her pet, etc., I feel compelled to weigh in and hopefully, get the person to really think about his/her options. It's a hard and ugly truth that otherwise good people like to wash away with platitudes and excuses but the fact is that gorgeous animals die by the hundreds, cruelyl and painfully alone, every day. Why not really think about svaing one if your heart is open to an animal? Yes, part of my personal mission is to spread the word and make the hard statements. If one dog is saved because I got someone to think about things in a new way, then it's all worth it, even this stupid nonsense.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results