shape
carat
color
clarity

Pot Bellied Pigs???

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Keepingthefaith21

Brilliant_Rock
Hi everyone:

FI has decided that he is interested in adopting a Royal Dandie mini pig. At first I thought he was joking. When I realized he wasn''t I though surely he was insane. It seems these little fellows have captured his heart. When I first realized the typical pot belly can grow to be almost 200 lbs. I had to start to question not only the logistics of having a pig of that size roaming through the house but also what town ordinences could come into effect. After doing his dilligent research FI found Royal Dandie pigs are bread to stay under 50lbs - a tad bit larger than our cocker spanial (who crossed over the rainbow bridge several months ago).

At this point I have asked for a minimum of 6 months to research the pigs and decide if we think this could even work for the pig (and for us). We have spoken to our veterinarian who cares for such an addition and they were not hesitant to suggest them in the least. I am just wondering if any of you have any experience keeping pig as a pet. Everything I have read has made them seem like an absolute delight to own so I have to admit, my curiosity is getting the better of me!

Erin

Ideal_Rock
Can you potty train them? And what''s the learning curve?
That is always my biggest hesitation. I guess I can handle dog poo, but pig poo?
I''d have to get the pig as a baby. Baby pigs are really cute to me. That way I''d build that attachment early.

Of course I immediately thought of "Designing Women"

Keepingthefaith21

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 11/25/2008 12:41:35 PM
Author: Starset Princess
Can you potty train them? And what''s the learning curve?
That is always my biggest hesitation. I guess I can handle dog poo, but pig poo?
I''d have to get the pig as a baby. Baby pigs are really cute to me. That way I''d build that attachment early.

Of course I immediately thought of ''Designing Women''
I have read that they are indeed potty trainable much the same way you would litter train any animal. As I understand the literature I''ve read so far pigs are very clean animals. But again, I haven''t actually met a person who can confirm any of these claims.

HappyAnniversary

Shiny_Rock
the breeder of my golden retriever also bred pot belly pigs. I thought they looked very unattractive to me, slobbery noses that left gunk at nose level in her kitchen. Not a nice decorating touch. Maybe they just had a cold?? Anyway, before you make the decision, be sure to see the grownup pigs and hang around them for a while. Lots of animals are darling when they are infants .

Pandora II

Ideal_Rock
I adore pigs and would keep one in a heartbeat if DH would let me (he won''t).

They''re intelligent and much cleaner than a lot of animals. A pig will never poop where it sleeps - unlike sheep or other animals of that sort.

That said, can you visit people with one - or perhaps house-sit one for someone who is going on holiday. Nothing like spending a week or so with a new species of beast to see if they are for you.

Maisie

Super_Ideal_Rock
I just had to go and google them! I am in love!
30.gif

Mini%20Pig%202.jpg

Maisie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Ooh that didn''t work.. I will try again..

minipigsocutewantone.jpg

Morticia

Brilliant_Rock
My mother''s friend has a pot bellied pig and they adore him. His name is Louie. He is potty trained and also uses a litter box. They have crate trained him, which he likes to go into when he''s sleepy. They do not lock him in the crate. They don''t need to, he goes in when he wants, on his own. My mom said he''s almost like a dog. He''s indoors, goes outside when he needs to go, and is very sweet. Louie is also very smart. He has a favorite blanket, and one night his owner forgot that his blanket was in the wash, so she gave him another one for bed time and he cried all night. I''ve read that pot bellied pigs make great pets.
9.gif

Keepingthefaith21

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 11/25/2008 3:35:10 PM
Author: Morticia
My mother''s friend has a pot bellied pig and they adore him. His name is Louie. He is potty trained and also uses a litter box. They have crate trained him, which he likes to go into when he''s sleepy. They do not lock him in the crate. They don''t need to, he goes in when he wants, on his own. My mom said he''s almost like a dog. He''s indoors, goes outside when he needs to go, and is very sweet. Louie is also very smart. He has a favorite blanket, and one night his owner forgot that his blanket was in the wash, so she gave him another one for bed time and he cried all night. I''ve read that pot bellied pigs make great pets.
9.gif
Thanks Morticia! The more I read the more curious I get. I think I will probably give my vet a ring and see if they can contact a client with a pig to see if they would be willing to allow us to meet their pig and talk to them about the experiences they have had.

These little piggies are so darling it''s easy to get caught up in their cuteness. If we make the decision to adopt a piggy we have to make our home his/her forever home which means we need to know what we are getting ourselves into for better or worse. We want to be able to give him/her a happy, healthy, well-adjusted life and be sure that we can remain happy, healthy and well-adjusted within our own home!

NewEnglandLady

Ideal_Rock
Ooo, a pot-bellied pig!! I LOOVE THEM! Many years ago my sister was trying to decide between a dog and a pot-bellied pig. In many ways they are similar--the potty training, the amount they eat, their life spans, etc. She ended up going with the pig and was very happy with the decision.

Her pig didn''t use a litter-box, it went outside via the piggy-door (okay, so it was a dog-door). It was very sweet, affectionate, very well behaved and relatively quiet when compared to a dog. No unnecessary oinking when somebody rang the doorbell. He was so easy to train, too. He was sensitive, so a stern "No!" always did the trick.

The only two issues she had with him were 1.) He was VERY food-motivated. Always begging and she wanted to be very careful with his weight. and 2.) He wanted to root the carpet. He was always rooting at the carpet, so she''d have to crate him when she couldn''t watch him. She ended up pulling up the carpet so it was all hardwoods and tha solved the problem. I''ve heard of other pigs rootng at the walls and hardwoods, but he never did that. Just the carpet!

She did let him root outside if he wanted. She had this area of dirt that he could just play in, then she''d rinse him off with a hose before he came in and that was it. Grooming was a cinch! :)

One thing that *might* be an issue for you is food. She lives in Missouri where there are lots of feed stores, but I don''t *think* any pet food stores around here sell pig food. There is a feed store down in Scituate, though, and I remember seeing pig feed down there. My sister used to give her pig some veggies in addition to the feed.

Good luck with the decision!! And if you ever need a pig baby-sitter, I''m your woman!

purselover

Ideal_Rock
I was very excited to see this thread, I really want a pet pig but everyone IRL seems to think I''m crazy. Glad to see I''m not the only one.

Page Six from The NY Post printed this blurb last month

October 30, 2008 --

JEANINE Pirro has built a house for a swine - and we don''t mean her estranged hubby, Albert. The former Westchester DA and current reality-show star has a black-and-white, pot-bellied pig named Wilbur, 18, who lives in his own gated, wood-shingled cottage with a slate roof on her Westchester estate. "It''s heated, He''s got plumbing here, he''s got water, he''s got a pool," Pirro tells Animal Fair magazine. "At Christmastime he gets a wreath. At Halloween, we dress it up for him."

That is one spoiled pig

Kelli

Ideal_Rock
I''ve always heard that they''re actually cleaner than dogs and just as trainable. I''ve always thought that maybe one day I''d get one. I love the idea of a little piglet running around the house, I just don''t know how my three dogs would take to it. I actually knew a girl who had a shi tzu puppy that was raised with pigs, and the dog snorted instead of barking!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results