shape
carat
color
clarity

Starting to feel nickel-and-dimed by school.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
First I have to say I LOVE my kids'' school/teachers! No gripe there. But, because my younger son is in full-day kindgerten at a public school and because tax dollars only pay for 1/2 day, we had to pay $3,000 to get him in the full-day, yet that doesn''t seem to be enough.

Okay, we chose to do pay that and do not regret doing so. My son turned 6 in the summer and definetly needs that additional time.

The problem is we''re contantly asked to bring in stuff for classes for BOTH kids. We did the standard stuff, like crayons, scissors, etc., at the beginning of the year, but then the school also asked for reams of paper, and other more pricey stuff, which added an additional $50 to all the class supplies ($25 per kid). Then we get notes asking for $ for class projects, we''re asking to bring food for projects, snacks for the class, etc., and all the costs are adding up. I''ve already spent $100-125 for stuff we''ve been asked to bring to school. Wasn''t that what my $3K was for?

At what point do I say no more? My husband was really mad when he saw a note asking me to bring in five different items in one week!

neatfreak

Super_Ideal_Rock
Welcome to public school...it seems like there is never enough money. Question for you, is everyone being asked to bring these things? And are they telling you to bring them or just saying "if you can we need this stuff"? I was also wondering if they are targeting those who chose to pay the $3k for full day kindergarten thinking that it somehow means you have the money to buy additional things too...

Sabine

Ideal_Rock
Unfortunately, it has been my experience with public school, that the money you (and tax payers) pay goes towards buying the most basic educational things. If the school district is not affluent, that is all they will get (and even that is sometimes not enough). I would say, if you are spending money on things that enhance your kid''s education, or even their overall educational experience, then even though it stinks and is not really fair, you should pay it if you can. Otherwise your kid will just end up going without.

I know your kids are young, but here''s an example from my class. In order to keep up with current technology, us teachers are pushed to use technology in the classroom. We share laptop carts, but obviously students can''t take them home, and sometimes work we do in class needs to be finished at home. At the beginning of the year, I tell my students that it would be helpful for them to have access to a computer, and a flash drive is on the list of supplies for my class. If parents do not provide these things for their student, the student is still responsible for their work, so they end up having to go to the library, come in at the end of the day, stay late, or just take a lower grade if their stuff isn''t finished. I know it stinks, but just be aware, the extra costs don''t stop, but eventually they will probably have much more educational bearing on your child''s future.

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Yep, everyone is being asked in every grade to bring in items and shell out money for stuff. My older son was given a long list of items, as well, including the reams of paper and enough glue sticks to last until he graduates in 2018.

For the Kindergarten class, either a note or an email is sent saying "so-and-so" is to bring "X" item. Just a simple statement. For full-day there is more time to work on projects, so I suppose more items are needed, but even for the half-day, parents are told to bring in items on specific days.

It sucks that public schools are under funded, but so is my check book. I was hoping that volunteering would be my contribution.

Oh, and I''ve read articles about how teachers, on average, spend $400 a year out-of-their-pockets to cover items that they need for school and of course, that isn''t fair, either.
7.gif

Elmorton

Ideal_Rock
MC, yes, what teachers pay out-of-pocket is awful. My mom is a HS Spanish teacher, and I don''t even want to think what she''s spent over the years. But if you are a home owner, you can itemize your taxes and get a break, which is nice. My friend who is a kindergarten teacher doesn''t have that luxury since she rents - she tells me she''s at Walmart nearly every other evening to get supplies for her classroom. It is VERY sad.

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
That is so sad that kids may not have access to what they need at home. I can entirely relate to paying additional costs for computer programs and all that if/when necessary for my kids'' education to be up-to-date. I would not deprived them of a proper education. I would even sell stuff around the house, if I had to, to be sure they''re taken care of. The gripe I have is I''m being asked pay for foods that are NOT really needed (like buying specific items and then cooking them and bringing the dishes in.) Kids are fine with gold fish crackers and pretzels!

I''m not sure what is considered "affluent," but the taxes for the homes around me are between $3,000 to 5,000 a year. Is that simply not enough these days?

Thanks for your imput. I''m glad to get more perspective on this situation. FWIW, if I had loads of money, I would donate extra to make up for those parents who aren''t able to contribute.

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/19/2008 1:54:15 PM
Author: Elmorton
she tells me she's at Walmart nearly every other evening to get supplies for her classroom. It is VERY sad.
Eh, that is not right. Now I feel bad that I said I couldn't bring in a few items.
7.gif
I was just stuck with the mentality of thinking, "yet more?" What about next month when Christmas comes? There are always holiday parties and more to buy.

We also have the Scholastic issue! We get order forms every month for both kids. Yes, that is fine. I buy my kids $1-3.00 books, but somehow Scholastic got my phone number and started CALLING me at home. AHHH! lol

Oh, and as a side-note, I went to the school and spied on my son through the window and saw he is now seated by a good friend and the two of them were sitting and talking during class. That is one of the benefits to volunteering: I can see what my kids are up to.
9.gif

Haven

Super_Ideal_Rock
The point at which you say "no more" is when the requests for supplies are too much for you to handle financially. If you can''t afford that ream of paper, don''t buy it. As teachers, we ALWAYS make do somehow. I''m sure there are families that can''t afford these extra items, even if they are not technically on the school''s "low income" list. If a parent calls and tells me they can''t buy the required book for their child, all I can really say is "Okay, I''ll figure it out." And we do.

And yes, we spend a lot on our classrooms each year. I''m not upset about it, though, because the supplies I buy do enhance my students'' learning experience. Or, in a lot of cases, the snacks I keep in my desk are the only things a kid eats all day.

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/19/2008 2:08:07 PM
Author: Haven
the snacks I keep in my desk are the only things a kid eats all day.
Oh, that makes me so sad.
7.gif

oobiecoo

Ideal_Rock
I remember school being like this back when I was in a public elementary school. But in middle school... even though private schools are usually working on an even tighter budget, I don''t think my teachers ever asked for anything other than for their students to have their own supplies and 2 boxes of tissue.

Maybe you could talk to the teacher to see if *everyone* actually brings in what they ask for or if any parents end up just volunteering.
What are they going to do if you don''t bring in the paper reams? Kick your kid out?

Haven

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/19/2008 2:12:45 PM
Author: MC

Date: 11/19/2008 2:08:07 PM
Author: Haven
the snacks I keep in my desk are the only things a kid eats all day.
Oh, that makes me so sad.
7.gif
It is sad. I feel like I walk a fine line between feeling proud of and grateful for what I''ve accomplished in my life, and guilty for having had the opportunities I''ve had as a white, middle-class American.

vslover

Shiny_Rock
That''s what public school is like...there''s never enough money. The economic hits have affected the schools too...it''s unavoidable.

swingirl

Ideal_Rock
Someone needs to complain about it. I can understand school supplies but when it comes to food, that''s just wrong. Food isn''t a requirement for school. If the school doesn''t have the funds for extras they need to teach without them. Food for projects? What''s that? Reams of paper--someone is being wasteful. $120 be kid--if there are 20 kids in the class that''s $2400. That seems a little extreme.

In my kids public schools we were asked to DONATE things; paper, paper towel, Kleenex. But other than their books and their own school supplies and snacks what else do they need?

divergrrl

Ideal_Rock
I live in what is considered an "affluent" school district. We moved here for the schools, period. I pay the highest property taxes in the state for that benefit, and that''s fine.

I put my son in pre-school this year & I chose a co-op (I help in the class, the parents contribute to the school, we fundraise, etc...so I''m not offended by the requests to help, since his co-op costs 1/3 of what a traditional preschool would run us) and I was given a "school supply list" that included paper cups, tissues, toilet paper, hand soap, sanitizer, etc. We use the money from fundraising to pay for classroom supplies. Once a month I am "snack mom" and have to bring healthy snacks for the class (8 kids & 4 adults) which is not a big deal.

But I have heard in our public schools once you hit K-12, the donating is crazy. I need to ask my SIL & brother (both 5th grade teachers in public schools...one in AZ and one in WA) as well as my bff''s mom (a 4th grade teacher at a parochial school)if they ask for a lot of donations & do a lot of out of pocket expenses.

I know my brother doesn''t since he''s piss poor & stingy as all hell. He''s in an average to low income school district. My SIL is pretty creative, and she runs an awesome classroom, so I''ll ask her.

I think I would get a little irritated about being nickled and dimed. I do a ton of charity work with my local mom''s club, and we are always donating school supplies, "birthdays in a box" (everything for a kids bday party--cake,frosting, balloons, etc), and all sorts of kits that a woman in a shelter would need so I feel like having to donate in my own zipcode is a bit much. All of the high schools around here just did multi million dollar remodels. I mean, is it really neccessary for our highschoolers to have a gym/weight room NICER than the nicest gym in town? I mean, sure, its great, but even my university''s weight room wasn''t that nice.

I vote in every single bond, measure, what have you & I feel that between that, class fundraising (which I loathe but will do--I mean, who wants $10 a roll wrapping paper when you can get the same thing at the dollar store? COME ON!) and buying my own school supplies that should be enough.

But I''m not there yet, so maybe I will change my tune. We also have to "pay to play" here in regards to sports.

Good thing I used to be in sales & marketing. I can teach my kids to sell all that overpriced wrapping paper! LOL.

I''d rather organize a fundraising event/phonathon/auction/whathaveyou to raise money for our schools. I will most likely be the parent volunteering for that job...since I do so much of it now for the mom''s club.

my .02

But I will start saving my reciepts. I had no idea you could write that stuff off! Every bit helps!

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock

uh, not the wrapping paper! lol Here the schools have assemblies where they pump the kids up with the products and then send them home with memorized descriptions of items.

The worst happened to be Speed Stack Cups. One afternoon, my son gets into my car and rambles off a sales pitch and is begging me for some.

They were $15 for them:
http://www.speedstacks.com/store/us/speed_stacks.php

Apparently there are people who are PROFESSIONAL CUP STACKERS! You gotta be kidding me.

Pandora II

Ideal_Rock
Wow, that would drive me crazy.

I've never seen this over here in the UK. I went to both private and state schools - the private schools provided everything right down to the last pencil. The state schools provided most things but you paid for your own pens and paper. Books were all provided by schools.

One question I have - this idea of having to cook stuff and bring it it? What happens if the parents both work? I don't have any kids yet (although May seems to be getting closer), but even now I would find it hard to get to a shop to buy stationery with less than 3/4 days notice and the chance of something getting cooked - well it would need to be after a weekend.

ETA: Stacking cups
23.gif
WT....?

neatfreak

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/20/2008 2:45:08 PM
Author: Pandora II
Wow, that would drive me crazy.

I''ve never seen this over here in the UK. I went to both private and state schools - the private schools provided everything right down to the last pencil. The state schools provided most things but you paid for your own pens and paper. Books were all provided by schools.

One question I have - this idea of having to cook stuff and bring it it? What happens if the parents both work? I don''t have any kids yet (although May seems to be getting closer), but even now I would find it hard to get to a shop to buy stationery with less than 3/4 days notice and the chance of something getting cooked - well it would need to be after a weekend.

ETA: Stacking cups
23.gif
WT....?

We never had to bring this kind of stuff as a kid either, but now it seems pretty common. As for food, I think you usually have a bit of notice at least, but it isn''t easy being a two working parent household that is for sure!

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
We were given one week's notice for the cooked stuff - I'm doing the cooking on the weekend. It seems that certain moms are requested to bring in specific items because they're not working (like me). One friend was noting to me yesterday that we're not even suppose to be bringing in home-cooked items (normally items should be packaged for ingredients listed), but at least three classes are not following that rule.

I'm not sure how working parents can handle it all, but have noticed days, like snack day, the parent who's suppose to bring in food forgets. That is when the teacher ends up picking up the slack.

ETA - Two kids in my older son's grade are on special diets. . .one has celiac and the other has a food allergy and I have no idea how those are successfully handled. I had a difficult time finding treats that were appropriate for eating when I brought stuff in for my son's birthday. (Luckily his class doesn't normally ask for food. They like cash help.)

Girlrocks

Brilliant_Rock
My oldest daughters are in public school, and the first week of school, the stupid wrapping paper/candy fundraiser stuff came home. And their "school supply" list consisted of paper towels, tissues, hand sanitizer, zip lock bags in every size immaginable...I have never seen anything come home in those zip lock bags yet. They are also in girl scouts, so they had the same fundraiser the first week of October. Just today I had to turn in their Math''A''Thon Fundraiser which is for St. Jude''s, 2 weeks ago was the Scholastic Book Fair which cost me $50 PER KID for books they wanted, then there is Jump Rope for Life which is for the American Heart Association, etc. etc. etc. And then to top it off, today they went on a field trip which cost $28.00 per kid, and the adult chaperones were $38.00...so if I had gotten selected as chaperone, it would have cost me $94 for a public school field trip. Their elementary school does not use regular school buses for field trips...every field trip they use the big commercial tour buses with the TV''s/bathrooms on board. And I feel bad for the kids of the families who can not afford the trip...they have to stay behind at school all day and in these financial times, I''m sure there are many families who could not come up with the $28 for the trip.

My 4 year old goes to a private pre-school, and on top of the $350 a month I am paying for her to go 3 half days a week, once every 2 months, I have to provide snack the entire week for 15 kids. They also do the monthly Scholastic Book fundraisers. I volunteer once per month for "parent Work Day" which is where we go in, clean, prepare items for the coming months projects, etc. And because it is private, monthly I donate paper towels, tissues, hand cleaner, markers, glue, etc. And they do field trips once per month.

And all of them have class parties ALL THE TIME which they ask for food/supplies/craft donations for.

It is never ending. I don''t know how some families can afford it.

zoebartlett

Super_Ideal_Rock
I HATE the fundraisers at my school. I teach in an elementary school, and we have a big magazine drive every year. I think it''s sponsored by the PTA; I know it''s not the teachers'' choosing. I always feel sorry for asking parents for money or donations, but there are certain things I do ask for each year. Last year, we actually ran out of pencils. Yeah, what school runs out of PENCILS??? It''s an affluent school, too. I felt so guilty when I had to ask for pencils but I did.

Every year I put together the typical school supply list and send it to the kids'' parents before school starts. I don''t like asking for donations of things like glue sticks, but I know I''d have to shell out a ton of money often throughout the year if I had to pay for them myself.

What I''ve never understood, MC, is the "community snack" thing. I would feel totally guilty for asking parents to bring in something special for one day, let alone a whole week for an entire class of kids. The kids in my room bring in their own snacks, and I keep a stash of pretzels and graham crackers on hand for those who don''t have a snack.

It''s such a fine line of what''s acceptable to ask parents to contribute and what''s not.

Girlrocks

Brilliant_Rock
I just thought of the worst "donation" so far this year...at my daugthers public elementary school, they started this "reward" program this year where they give out school money for good behavior, etc. Well, they''ve been collecting money since the start of school, with the promise that a school store would be opening the first week of November and they could go in there to buy items with their school money. Well, the store opens, and what a DUD...school pencils, school coffee mugs (lots of coffee drinkers in 3rd grade apparently), school folders, and the grand prize that you have to save $75 school dollars for...Lunch with the principal. The next week, a note came home asking for donations for Dollar Store items, items from Oriental Trading, etc. for the school store. Well of course everyone I know felt obligated to buy a few things to donate, I mean everyone''s kids have been doing so well and talking about this new program only to get disapointed with a dumb pencil.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results