shape
carat
color
clarity

Kitchen cabinet pricing

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

eks6426

Ideal_Rock
I''m working on kitchen remodeling plans. It''s not going to be an immediate project...probably 2010 so right now I''m getting ideas and ballpark pricing.

Does anyone know estimates on the pricing per linear foot for cabinets? I realize they can vary greatly. Let''s assume I''m going semi-custom (like KraftMaid) with maple doors. I really have no idea what to even guess...maybe $100 a linear foot?

Any suggested cabinet companies? Ones to stay away from? Ideally, I''d love to go custom, but I know I can''t afford it. I have about 18 linear feet of lowers and undecided on the uppers since I''m still considering some open shelving instead of uppers.

oobiecoo

Ideal_Rock
Ikea does kitchen cabinets and might be a good website to look at to see what their pricing is just as a reference point.

Italiahaircolor

Ideal_Rock
cabinetry prices are usually per cabinet...based on size, depth, and width, and features.

pennquaker09

Brilliant_Rock
Here is the thing, most of the major cabinet brands are all made by the same company, Masco. So, if you get Merillat, KraftMaid, and a lot of others, they are all Masco.

Home Depot and Lowes mark up the prices, so while there is nothing wrong with KraftMaid (Merillat is better) you''re going to be paying more than you should for it. Where do you live? There has to be a cabinet builder close by that you could afford. People like that are everywhere and to be honest custom is cheaper than the Big Box stores a lot of the time.

Cost is a bunch of different factors added together:

1. Cabinet construction methods and materials. Ex. A dovetailed wood drawer will cost more than a stapled or pined particle board drawer. If you think you need to save money, this is one area you should plan to spend the money because this is where the durability of your kitchen is. You want solid wood construction and dovetailed drawers.

2. Layout of the kitchen and cabinet configuration. Ex. A lazy Susan costs more than a sink cabinet. A “stack” of drawers costs more than a standard one/two drawer base cabinet. A u-shaped kitchen costs more than an l-shape with and island (more cabinetry). A wall oven/cooktop combination makes the kitchen cost about $1,000 more than a free standing range.

3. Door style. Ex. A door with many details will usually cost more than a simple door. If you add an arch to a square panel, expect to pay more. A door with lots of grooves or molding generally costs more than a simple door. A full overlay (door that covers almost the entire cabinet face) costs more than a traditional overlay. Doors set inside the cabinet frame (called inset) costs more than doors mounted over the cabinet frame.

4. The type of finish will vary the pricing. Painted, glazed, or layered finishes will run 10 to 15% more than standard stain finish. The more sanding and hand finishing involved, the higher the cost.

5. The wood species or the material that covers the cabinet will effect pricing, but not as much as you would think. A stainless steel clad cabinet will be the most expensive and a melamine (plastic laminate) surface will be the least costly. Unusual cabinet woods like alder, mahogany, fir, teak, redwood, and etc. will cost more than common oak (one of the most popular, albeit dated woods) or maple. Cherry is about 10% more than oak. Maple is arguably the most popular species. When I worked for Toll Brothers, maple and cherry were to two most popular.

Most of the time, if you''re getting a custom job, they are just building your boxes and the doors are actually purchased from another company. This isn''t always the case, but a lot of times, it is. When you get a quote, it''s usually based on the size of your kitchen, and from there, anything special is added. Like, when you go into Home Depot they''ll say for a 10x10 kitchen it''ll cost $12,000 (example).

So, my question for you is roughly how much do you think you will plan on spending. Generally, designers say that the budget of your kitchen remodel should be between 10 and 15% of the value of your home. So, when I did my remodel in my former home, we took the value of our house pre-remodel and budgeted it at 15%. Let me tell you, it''s extremely, extremely easy to sit down and start looking at photos and specification books and go, "I want this, and this and that." And before you know it, you''ve selected 30K in cabinetry.

I purchased Wood-Mode cabinetry for my last home and it''s a fully custom cabinet manufacturer. Wood-Mode and Omega are probably the two of the most expensive.

moremoremore

Ideal_Rock
Oh lord, I can't help if this is a linear foot question...Island, I went with KraftMaid maple in a glazed finish with a middle end door style...I admit that while I"m a researcher, I didn't research KraftMaid so I hope it stands up for a few years to come....for a pretty nice (not amazing blow you away kitchen) average/small sized kitchen (maybe on the small size), we spent about 20-23 grand for the cabinets and labor (no demo) alone with NO relocation of layout/appliances...I found this very, very cheap compared to what I expected in NY (we're in a new state now)....then there were all new appliances that I went a tad crazy on and the countertops and backsplash...

pennquaker09

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 11/15/2008 11:27:44 AM
Author: moremoremore
Oh lord, I can''t help if this is a linear foot question...Island, I went with KraftMaid maple in a glazed finish with a middle end door style...I admit that while I''m a researcher, I didn''t research KraftMaid so I hope it stands up for a few years to come....for a pretty nice (not amazing blow you away kitchen) average/small sized kitchen (maybe on the small size), we spent about 20-23 grand for the cabinets and labor (no demo) alone with NO relocation of layout/appliances...I found this very, very cheap compared to what I expected in NY (we''re in a new state now)....then there were all new appliances that I went a tad crazy on and the countertops and backsplash...

That''s pretty typical.

I spent money on the "bells and whistles." Like the pull out drawers, spice racks, and organizers. I didn''t go crazy, but those things do add up. I think there were probably a total of 15 or so cabinets that we bought. And we spent about 35K on the cabinetry - no labor, demo, anything, just cabinetry.

moremoremore

Ideal_Rock
I think that it's definitely going to vary state to state...I think things are definitely cheaper in NC since isn't this the wood capital or something?
I got about 12 or so cabinets (3 glass), another drawer, and then an island and pretty range hood....I had to shorten the island bc they "forgot" that there was a door to the outside beside it and also the entryway from the garage passes by there...Expect the unexpected...The door style didn't look so traditional in the show-room and I even saw it in a mag...but once up, it was certainly traditional..

I also got pull outs, the corner lazy super susan, a hidden spice rack and best of all the the no slam hinges which are awesome...kind of takes the thrill out of slamming them in disguist LOL...I was pretty lucky to work with a great company here since I didn't really ask for any of those things...I just told her the budget and she made it happen...thank god she thought to add those things...

What the heck, here's a pic during the remodel...grout still drying......the hood wasn't done...small and traditional, but cute....
emsmile.gif

Have fun with it Island Dreams! And chose wisely...'cause then you're stuck with it all!
face20.gif
(as in those countertop supports which I hate but am So stuck with!)

472489510210_0_BG[1].jpg

moremoremore

Ideal_Rock
Oh, labor was also included (not demo thoughsince the GC did it). I was expecting it to be A LOT more...I'm sure if would have been back in NY...

I can't resist showing you the most "impressive" feature....after all that money, people say they like the clock. Great. The $35 dollar clock I got from target that's staying up with velcro LOL....(ps the floors aren't that horrible and yellow in person :) )

PICT0639.JPG

crystalheart1

Brilliant_Rock
Your kitchen is gorgeous, and I love your accent pieces. I am doing your colors... we went with a tile floor, with black granite inserts on every other tile.

Tacori E-ring

Super_Ideal_Rock
MMM, I think it''s VERY Jeff Lewis
2.gif

pennquaker09

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 11/16/2008 5:24:30 PM
Author: Tacori E-ring
MMM, I think it''s VERY Jeff Lewis
2.gif

LOL!

moremoremore

Ideal_Rock
Thanks crystal...good luck with your reno...so stressful...

As for you Ms. Tac, I know what you''re up to and are saying that bc you know the way to my heart...
12.gif

The "before" did too, right?
41.gif

Sorry for the thread hijack Island!!!!!

kitchenbf.jpg

pennquaker09

Brilliant_Rock
MMM, I like the cabinets, are they custom?

eks6426

Ideal_Rock
Thanks for the responses and PennQ thanks for the details.

I have a rather strangely shaped kitchen. It's long and narrow. 18.5 feet long and 8' wide at the narrowest and 9.5 feet wide at the widest. Most all the cabinets, sink, stove need to go on a wall that has a slight L of 4' then the entire 18.5 feet. The fridge is somewhat off on its own. I'm making up a list of the things I'd really like to have in the kitchen and then I'm going to try to find a Kitchen Designer to help. I don't live in the best location for designers that are not associated with big box stores like Lowes.

I'd love to go custom on the cabinets so I'll check into that. I know I want pretty simple more shaker style in a painted cream finish for the top and possibily a walnut type stain on the lower ones. I like all the bells & whistles of the KraftMaid cabinets like the pantry shelving, pull outs etc. I'd like to get cabinets without the middle vertical divider which I believe means I like the European style cabinets.

MMM--your kitchen looks fablulous. I am starting with cabinets very similar to your old ones and want a color scheme much like what you have.

Tacori E-ring

Super_Ideal_Rock
ID, everyone on Garden Web says custom is often time cheaper so it is something to look into. If you post a before maybe we can better give you advice. Either way, fun project!

MMM, I *do* know how to flatter you
12.gif
But seriously the before and after is amazing! You did a great job (even if you question yourself sometimes!)

moremoremore

Ideal_Rock
Aww shucks Tac :) lol....

Penn...nope, those are plain ol Kraftmaid

Island....I really know that custom could be cheaper...that sounds good LOL... I didn't though.....A good way to save $ is to keep all the electrical and plumbing work where it is...but I understand wanting to move a solo fridg...Just keep looking at magazines....and a good kitchen place will just know to give you those bells and whistles...I didn't know enough to ask for them and thank god my kitchen place knew enough to give them to me since they were in the budget I gave them...you also expressed going open shelving...that will also save some $....best of luck with it!

moremoremore

Ideal_Rock
Who the heck has that PS kitchen with the modern dark cabs....the small mosaics....and the sheer drapes? Anyone know who I''m talking about?
That''s my all time fav kitchen really....

I also love some of the GardenWeb kitchens...that''s a great place to look Island...

butterfly 17

Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/17/2008 12:08:02 PM
Who the heck has that PS kitchen with the modern dark cabs....the small mosaics....and the sheer drapes? Anyone know who I''m talking about?
That''s my all time fav kitchen really....

I also love some of the GardenWeb kitchens...that''s a great place to look Island...

That would be me...

Ha, ha, just kidding, I think this is the one you are talking about? It''s DeeJay''s!

BTW, I love your cabs! And the clock!

kitchen%2010001.jpg

moremoremore

Ideal_Rock
I meant to say above that I didn't know custom could be cheaper...not that I "really know custom could be cheaper"

That's it!!!!!!!!!!!!! Dee Jay sucks LOL....I want mosaics now! Waaahhhhh.... lol

Thanks Bfly....and I'm sure your kitchen is great too Butterfly!!!!

butterfly 17

Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/17/2008 9:44:04 PM
I meant to say above that I didn''t know custom could be cheaper...not that I ''really know custom could be cheaper''

That''s it!!!!!!!!!!!!! Dee Jay sucks LOL....I want mosaics now! Waaahhhhh.... lol

Thanks Bfly....and I''m sure your kitchen is great too Butterfly!!!!

I hope she doesn''t mind me posting her picture, I forgot to ask. DeeJay, just let the moderators know if you want the picture removed!
2.gif

Burk

Ideal_Rock
Island Dreams~we live in a older home (built in the 1930's) and knocked out two walls to make a larger kitchen-so I can totally relate to long and narrow. Here is a pic of my new kitchen (this was taken before we were completely done, but you get the idea). My uncle is an architect so he drew up plans and we actually just took them to the local Home Depot and went from there.

Forgot to mention that our cabinets were in the neighborhood of $15,000-but my husband installed them himself

longkitchenpic1.jpg

luvmyhalo

Brilliant_Rock
IslandDreams - My kitchen has similar dimensions to yours...It''s 15.5'' long by 8'' wide. We refinished the existing cabinet boxes and had new cabinet doors made so I can''t help you with new cabinet pricing, but I like the layout of our kitchen.

kitch1.JPG

luvmyhalo

Brilliant_Rock
On the right, there's just the fridge & a small pantry.

kitch2.JPG

luvmyhalo

Brilliant_Rock
The "L"...

kitch3.JPG

luvmyhalo

Brilliant_Rock
Narrow....

kitch4.JPG

moremoremore

Ideal_Rock
Great job guys!!!

Hey Halo, what color is that? I like it for my office/bonus room...

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results