color
clarity

The Cupcake Thread!

lili

Ideal_Rock
dixie--

here''s a page that I found that shows you what each tip does:
hope this helps.

http://www.ladycakes.com/Charts/Tip%20Chart/Main%20page/cake_decorating_tip''s.htm

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/13/2008 3:29:30 PM
Author: qtiekiki
Thanks skippy. Gonna go check out our costco.
Sure, keep us posted. hehe
3.gif
9.gif
Whatever you get you will love.

Tacori E-ring

Super_Ideal_Rock
Mara, love the green BTW. I am on a green kick lately. It is good to know that someone who bakes as much as you is happy with Artisan. I love using points to get "free" stuff!

Skippy, great find! That costco sure is swell
2.gif

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
only get the 6qt if you plan to make double and triple batches more than 50% of the time. the 6qt is huge, it''s what i had for years... i really like the 5qt better from a single or double batch perspective...it''s much more ''regular baker''...i just made a 5 layer 6" cake in it the other day and the batter only filled the 5qt like 2/3 of the way.

in the 6qt it was very hard to make one batch of something small or 1/2 batch which i frequently would do, aka beating 2 egg whites, not doable in 6qt really. you need a smaller bowl.

just something to keep in mind re sizes... think about what you''ll be baking on a regular basis for quantity.

i think the prof is 425 watts for both 5qt and 6qt and the artisan is 325 watts. it might work harder on breads but for me where i make batters or cookie doughs 90% of the time, the lower wattage was not an issue.

would i pay $300 vs $350 for smaller vs larger and more powerful, it just depends on what i''d be making, it IS easy to say wow bigger and more powerful is just better right? but think about what you''ll make and go from there!

qtiekiki

Ideal_Rock
Ok. After much thinking, I decided to get KitchenAid Professional 600 Series 6-Quart Stand Mixer in Nickel Pearl. Mainly because it's $269.99 at amazon with no tax and free shipping. I couldn't pass it up for that price. That price was only for the Nickel Pearl and Licorice color.

I think I am going to get the 3 qt bowl & combi-whip for smaller batches.

Now back to cupcakes.

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/13/2008 9:14:04 PM
Author: qtiekiki
Ok. After much thinking, I decided to get KitchenAid Professional 600 Series 6-Quart Stand Mixer in Nickel Pearl. Mainly because it''s $269.99 at amazon with no tax and free shipping. I couldn''t pass it up for that price. That price was only for the Nickel Pearl and Licorice color.

I think I am going to get the 3 qt bowl & combi-whip for smaller batches.

Now back to cupcakes.
Great news and happy Baking!!! Gotta love Amazon!!! I just made an impulse purchase from amazon because they have some great deals!!!

dragonfly411

Ideal_Rock
I have a question for you ladies about butter cream and frosting guns. How do you keep the frosting from coming back out the top? I try to roll mine tightly or even twist, but I always end up with a gigantic mess

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
frosting gun...you mean like if you don''t use a piping bag?? i used to use a gun thing when i first started but quickly moved to bags and just don''t overfill, and twist and hold.

yay for a new KA QT....so fun.

Jas12

Ideal_Rock
Hey PS baking queens I need a recipe for a really delicious butter cream (or frosting in general)

I am making linzer cookies, but instead of filling with preserves i would like to do a cream filling (for a little extra decadence). Anyone have a suggestion for me? I have a few recipes of my own but some options would be great!

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
Awww I love traditional linzers.

For a filling, what about a pastry cream? It's VERY rich and fluffy. You can find a bunch of recipes online for it ... but I think it's mostly whipped cream, eggs kind of thing. It's like what they use to fill cream puffs. But not sure how it would be with linzers...maybe too bland with the cookie pairing, plus how do you fill them? It's pretty fluffy.

OR a rich chocolate buttercream using real melted chocolate AND cocoa would be my preference for something like pairing with a butter cookie.... I wouldn't do any other type of buttercream but that's just because I like traditional. For a cocoa chocolate buttercream, take room temp soft stick of butter, cream it with powdered sugar and cocoa, pour in cooled melted chocolate and whip til it's a consistency you like. Alternatively, add heated heavy cream to chocolate to make it more like a ganache, let it cool and then spoon it in. This will be very rich and dark.

Haven

Super_Ideal_Rock
Oh my gosh I love this thread!

Have you guys seen this blog? It''s called Nosh With Me and she makes the most delicious looking recipes.

I''m not a baker, but I love lurking on baking blogs!

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/17/2008 7:37:09 PM
Author: Haven
Oh my gosh I love this thread!

Have you guys seen this blog? It's called Nosh With Me and she makes the most delicious looking recipes.

I'm not a baker, but I love lurking on baking blogs!
Awesome find Haven, I bookmarked it, thanks. I checkout cooking/baking blogs sometimes but some are dullsville because they don't give recipes.
24.gif
hehe

Jas12

Ideal_Rock
mara--thanks! Great suggestions. I knew i could count on you. I think i''ll do a good sturdy butter cream. The linzer cut out i have is a star so i think if it is just the right consistency and i pipe a dollop on with a plain tip and gently press down, i am *hoping* that the butter cream will fill the star cut-out nicely.

I like traditional linzers too, but i am making these for a book-club holiday party i am hosting and we have a decedence rule. Wine, rich cheeses, cured meats, chocolate and overall, nothing that resembles a fruit or veg must only be served
3.gif
1.gif

Speaking of making cookies, I think i am a total space cadet sometimes. When i''ve made things like sugar or butter cookies I''ve always rolled out the dough on the kitchen counter and then transfered the cut-out onto the cookie sheet. I inevitably loose several in the process cuz they get too warm or sticky and smoosh on the spatula. So i finally discovered tonight that rolling the dough *onto* the cookie sheet and then just removing the excess dough from around the cut-outs solves that problem completely (duh)--is this what everyone does?

can''t wait to see the holiday cuppies that i am sure some of you will be making soon!

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
One way to keep your cookies from sticking to the rolling surface is to refrigerate the dough before rolling it out, and then refrigerating them afterwards. This actually helps them hold their shape if you''re making cookies that don''t have a leavener. Then again, this only works if you have them on something you can put in the fridge.

Are they traditional linzers with hazelnuts? Hazelnut anything is basically my favorite. And I think the cookies are rich enough on their own that they are great with the raspberry preserves. If I were to switch it up a little bit, I''d make a buttercream and add some raspberry preserves to it, so it doesn''t get too rich, and has that little bit of raspberry to cut through the richness.

However, the Linzer torte makes me unhappy because there is WAY TOO MUCH raspberry filling. UGH.

akw94

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 11/13/2008 3:36:52 PM
Author: lili
dixie--

here''s a page that I found that shows you what each tip does:

hope this helps.

http://www.ladycakes.com/Charts/Tip%20Chart/Main%20page/cake_decorating_tip''s.htm

Lili, thanks for the website! That really did help. I''m looking fwd to buying some more tips and experimenting. I realized I don''t have a traditional star tip but that''s what they gave me when I asked at the store.

Anyone willing to post pics of their tips? I''d love to see what you guys use!

Also, for those who sell cupcakes, I have a question (if you don''t mind sharing). Someone asked me to provide cupcakes for them. I planned to just ask her to pay for supplies but she wants me to come up with a real price. I really have no idea. What do you guys charge or what do you think are good prices? I''m making the Cookies and Cream cupcakes which I guess I would consider Specialty vs Basic since they aren''t just your standard ingredients. I was thinking of creating different prices for the two types and have Specialty include anything outside of your simple chocolate, yellow, white cupcake with a basic buttercream filling. Or is it easier just to price them all the same? I''ve been thinking a lot about starting a business, very small and part-time but I want to price things well. Also, I''m not in a big city and not as fancy as your average cupcake shop so would probably want to price a bit lower.
I would love any suggestions!

Thanks!

akw94

Brilliant_Rock
Back again, I forgot that I had another question.
I notice that all of my cupcakes don''t come out quite evenly so when I apply frosting, it''s not always centered. Any tips? I heard of cutting off the top to even out the cupcake before frosting but never tried that. I have a feeling part of my problem is that I''m using an old cupcake pan and it doesn''t quite lay flat on a surface but I''m not sure if that contributes to the problem or not. Any ideas on how to make them come out evenly? Since I''m making these for Friday, I really want them to look as good as possible.

I''m attaching some pics, this one is the Carrot cake w/cream cheese icing.

carrotcakeps1.JPG

akw94

Brilliant_Rock
Also the carrot cake. As you can see, I'm not that consistent looking with my piping.

carrotcakeps2.JPG

akw94

Brilliant_Rock
And here are just some from a box, yellow cake. I never realized how different a box mix tastes from a regular recipe until I''ve started making different recipes. Also, these shrunk considerably whereas the ones from the recipes never do. They taste so different that I could never go back to using the box mix alone, although these were just quickies for a PTO bake sale. I made just a standard buttercream here and then added some chocolate chips. The icing doesn''t look great on these but I enjoy practicing.

chocchipps.JPG

Jas12

Ideal_Rock
dixie--i am no expert so don''t quote me on this but i think uneven baking temps can cause the uneveness in the cake. I am not sure how to remedy that (maybe convection setting or rotating the cuppies mid-baking?? I do this with cookies) Hopefully someone else will help out.
I wouldn''t trim the tops off, i personally like the tops the best and if you don''t pipe them just right you may see that they were cut.
I wouldn''t worry too much--you piping looks pretty darn good. Homemade does not have to be perfect IMO, part of the charm.

Freke--thanks for those suggestions. I am going to try some hazelnut linzers and some plain (butter cookie recipe) so they are not really going to be linzers anymore, just using the linzer cutter. I like the idea of adding some raspberry--i''ll try it

akw94

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 3/21/2008 12:07:27 PM
Author: Mara

i ordered a bunch of stuff online last week from bakerskitchen.com and it all arrived last nite, so excited! they have a huge selection of sparkling sugars and edible glitter and the like...as well as these fun nut and party cups that some of the cupcake bloggers use for their cupcake papers, they are like more square rounded than a regular cupcake paper. so i want to try them. thinking of doing the minis. whee!!

Mara, I sent to the website you mentioned: www.bakerskitchen.com but I didn''t find a catalog of supplies there. When I go to the supplies tab, they just tell you about their store. I am doing something in wrong?
Thanks!

neatfreak

Super_Ideal_Rock
Dixie, in addition to the temp thing that Jas suggested, do you use an ice cream scoop or other measure to fill the cupcake tins? Or do you just eyeball it? I''ve found that using a cookie scoop really makes them so much more even because you get the same amount of filling in each one guaranteed.

akw94

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 11/18/2008 10:07:18 AM
Author: Jas12
dixie--i am no expert so don''t quote me on this but i think uneven baking temps can cause the uneveness in the cake. I am not sure how to remedy that (maybe convection setting or rotating the cuppies mid-baking?? I do this with cookies) Hopefully someone else will help out.

I wouldn''t trim the tops off, i personally like the tops the best and if you don''t pipe them just right you may see that they were cut.

I wouldn''t worry too much--you piping looks pretty darn good. Homemade does not have to be perfect IMO, part of the charm.

Freke--thanks for those suggestions. I am going to try some hazelnut linzers and some plain (butter cookie recipe) so they are not really going to be linzers anymore, just using the linzer cutter. I like the idea of adding some raspberry--i''ll try it

Jas, thanks for the tips. I think I use the convection setting when baking but can''t really remember. I''ll have to make sure to do that. I''ll try rotating too, can''t hurt! Yeah, I was worried about seeing the part that''s cut too if I trimmed them and I agree about loving the tops! Thanks for the compliment, I just really want them to look nice if I''m making them for someone else and especially if I start selling regularly.

Neatfreak, I use a measuring cup but don''t pay attention to filling it all the way and sometimes I add more if I haven''t added enough. I will make an effort next time to fill the cup each time and see if that helps. Thanks!

akw94

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 11/18/2008 10:13:31 AM
Author: dixie94
Date: 3/21/2008 12:07:27 PM

Author: Mara

i ordered a bunch of stuff online last week from bakerskitchen.com and it all arrived last nite, so excited! they have a huge selection of sparkling sugars and edible glitter and the like...as well as these fun nut and party cups that some of the cupcake bloggers use for their cupcake papers, they are like more square rounded than a regular cupcake paper. so i want to try them. thinking of doing the minis. whee!!

Mara, I sent to the website you mentioned: www.bakerskitchen.com but I didn''t find a catalog of supplies there. When I go to the supplies tab, they just tell you about their store. I am doing something in wrong?

Thanks!

Ok, sorry for all the posts today! Mara, never mind! I found in another of your posts that it''s : thebakerskitchen. So you solved my problem without ever having to post, thanks!

Here''s a question on piping. I read somewhere that one method is to pipe a circle around the outer edge of the cupcake and the pipe another circle on top of that. I''ve never tried that and do just the whole thing by going around twice. Does anyone try the 1st method or have other methods they like?

As you can see, my mind is on cupcakes today!

akw94

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 3/22/2008 10:35:19 AM
more mini-cakes (plate in the background) --these were chocolate vanilla --made for v-day, with some cookies of course!

Jas, you posted some cupcakes for vday awhile ago(I think on p.4 or 5 of the thread). What tip did you use for the icing? I really like how they look! Do you have any other pics of those?

Yes, clearly I have too much time as I am perusing this thread from the beginning...

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
dixie, do you sift your dry ingredients together well? If its not that the cupcakes are filled to different heights, it''s probably because the baking soda/powder isn''t mixed in properly. Oven temp won''t affect it much, besides over baking some and under baking the rest (rotation is great to fix that, unless you have a convection oven).

One thing that will help your piping is to not pull the piping bag up at the end. Another thing is to keep the piping bag at a 45 degree angle when you''re frosting them. A rosette should look like a circle, and not have any frosting points that stick up. Does this make any sense? There isn''t any wrong way really, but that''s the French way. I keep thinking I should put together some YouTube demonstration videos. It''s easier to explain when you have props. Lol.

Here is a pic, it''s far from perfect, but the rosette looks pretty good. Totally not centered on the cupcake though. But do you see what I mean about not having the point of icing on top? That''s what makes it look "professional" versus homemade. IMHO anyway...And it just takes practice. One thing that we did was mix a batch of shortening/powdered sugar buttercream, and then used that to practice whenever we had a free moment. So when we were done, we''d just scrape it off (saran wrap over a piece of cardboard) and it''d go back into the container until we would practice again. The rosettes won''t matter if you put sprinkles or something else on top though!

Ok, I''m all over the place, I''m going to bed!

IMG_0591 sized.jpg

akw94

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 11/19/2008 12:41:00 AM
Author: FrekeChild
dixie, do you sift your dry ingredients together well? If its not that the cupcakes are filled to different heights, it''s probably because the baking soda/powder isn''t mixed in properly. Oven temp won''t affect it much, besides over baking some and under baking the rest (rotation is great to fix that, unless you have a convection oven).

One thing that will help your piping is to not pull the piping bag up at the end. Another thing is to keep the piping bag at a 45 degree angle when you''re frosting them. A rosette should look like a circle, and not have any frosting points that stick up. Does this make any sense? There isn''t any wrong way really, but that''s the French way. I keep thinking I should put together some YouTube demonstration videos. It''s easier to explain when you have props. Lol.

Here is a pic, it''s far from perfect, but the rosette looks pretty good. Totally not centered on the cupcake though. But do you see what I mean about not having the point of icing on top? That''s what makes it look ''professional'' versus homemade. IMHO anyway...And it just takes practice. One thing that we did was mix a batch of shortening/powdered sugar buttercream, and then used that to practice whenever we had a free moment. So when we were done, we''d just scrape it off (saran wrap over a piece of cardboard) and it''d go back into the container until we would practice again. The rosettes won''t matter if you put sprinkles or something else on top though!

Ok, I''m all over the place, I''m going to bed!

Hi Freke,
Thank you for all the advice! It''s challenging when you''re just sort of trying to figure it out as opposed to learning from someone or taking classes.
I do try to sift the dry ingredients well but I''ll make sure I do, who knows, maybe I''m not doing it enough. I do think it''s probably likely the cupcakes are filled to different heights but I still wonder why does that cause some to come out with the dome not in the center and others are fine. I do have a convection oven so does that mean I don''t have to rotate? I just have to make sure to use the convection setting
2.gif
I didn''t even know that what I was making was called a rosette so I definitely didn''t know not to pull the bag up. I''ll try that Thursday. I do see what you mean about the tip, thanks! Yes, you should put up some YouTube videos!!!! That''s a good idea about making some practice icing. I need to just stop being lazy and do that! Or at least practice with the next batch a bit before I put it on the cupcakes.

Thanks so much for the help. I''m excited to try my next batch with all my new tips!

Jas12

Ideal_Rock
Dixie--sorry to reply so late, i don''t have a better pic of those v-day cuppies but i do know the tip is Wilton 1 C ( the points don''t stick out, it looks like a flower shape)
i''ll find a pic

Wilton Tip

For the small cuppies i just squeeze one dollop on top while kinda pressing down (so the icing comes out straight on top of the cake and i press down a bit so it pools a little and fills the surface area and then stop squeezing before lifting it off. It looks really pretty)

hope your next batch turns out great! I don''t know how you can improve much, but have fun

oh and BTW, my linzers are yummy! The butter cookie recipe i used really melts in your mouth and i did a decedent dark chocolate butter cream as the filling. I then drizzled the cookies with dark chocolate. I am happy with them.
I''ll try to post a pic sometime soon--i know it''s not a cupcake, but you''ll humor me right

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
I think this thread is really the "Mostly Cupcakes, but also other Baked Goods Thread" So of course we''d love to see your linzers!

akw94

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 11/19/2008 10:02:18 PM
Dixie--sorry to reply so late, i don''t have a better pic of those v-day cuppies but i do know the tip is Wilton 1 C ( the points don''t stick out, it looks like a flower shape)

i''ll find a pic

Wilton Tip

For the small cuppies i just squeeze one dollop on top while kinda pressing down (so the icing comes out straight on top of the cake and i press down a bit so it pools a little and fills the surface area and then stop squeezing before lifting it off. It looks really pretty)

hope your next batch turns out great! I don''t know how you can improve much, but have fun

oh and BTW, my linzers are yummy! The butter cookie recipe i used really melts in your mouth and i did a decedent dark chocolate butter cream as the filling. I then drizzled the cookies with dark chocolate. I am happy with them.

I''ll try to post a pic sometime soon--i know it''s not a cupcake, but you''ll humor me right

Hi Jas, thanks for explaining how to make that flower. I''m going to buy a tip like that next time I go to a store. That looks fun to make and yours look so pretty. Now I have to go and find a picture of a linzer since it sounds so good!

Anyone have any thoughts on what to charge for the cupcakes? I''ve been looking at stores and many seem to be charge between $25-$35/dz. I just can''t imagine charging that much and thought I''d start at $12/dz or $15/dz for now and then go up as needed. I don''t want to undercharge but it''s hard to figure out what my time is worth in a dollar figure.

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
Dixie, your cupcakes are so pretty!!! How fun that so many PS'ers have cuppie businesses, awesome
36.gif
So far it is you, Steph and Mara!!!!
36.gif
any others I missed?

Jas12, if you would like to share your linzer recipe I started a cookie thread in hangout; I would love to have your recipe!!!
9.gif

SDL, sweetheart, did you find your recipe? Or are you going with the Snicker cuppies? hehe
3.gif

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results