shape
carat
color
clarity

Louis Vuitton Price Increase?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

goldenstar

Brilliant_Rock
Doh!

I hesitated to buy a purse that I had my eye on and now its a few hundred dollars more than it was in May. Its actually a rather big jump.

No point to this post, I'm just
29.gif

Diamond Confused

Shiny_Rock
Oh no, it''s starting. I read an article about how the price of shoes would undergo a significant increase due to an increase in cost in the processing of leather. I guess it''s affecting purses too. How sad.

Carbonlove

Rough_Rock
They increase their prices so often! I found a bag I liked online in Jan and bought it in Feb and it was $100 more. I had to break the news to my bf when I got home. He thought I was just be sneaky, but I was like I swear they increased the price!

diamondfan

Super_Ideal_Rock
Chanel and LV do this a lot. If I tell you they can go up hundreds in one season. It is really offensive and outrageous to me, I love their bags but it is getting to be crazy.

Madam Bijoux

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hermes just raised their prices as of August 11, and I heard that they might raise them again in January. They''ll all price themselves out of existence if they''re not careful.

jewelerman

Ideal_Rock
Most luxary goods companies have a planned price increase regardless of materials and labor costs at least once in a given year...watches are a big example...Rolex for one.

SarahLovesJS

Ideal_Rock
They increase every few months unfortunately.
14.gif

goldenstar

Brilliant_Rock
Yes, LV does do it regularly. I feel like its getting out of control. Its happening more than once a year and the increases are significant.
29.gif

diamondfan

Super_Ideal_Rock
I wonder if they will increase to the point where no one wants to buy? I am not close to that level yet. If I want it I still buy it but I do bitch about it. These increases just occur, a couple times a year at least, and make no sense really. But there are still wait lists for bags so I guess they have not reached that too high mark yet.

SarahLovesJS

Ideal_Rock
Date: 8/24/2008 8:52:06 PM
Author: diamondfan
I wonder if they will increase to the point where no one wants to buy? I am not close to that level yet. If I want it I still buy it but I do bitch about it. These increases just occur, a couple times a year at least, and make no sense really. But there are still wait lists for bags so I guess they have not reached that too high mark yet.

I''m kind of there to be honest. I stopped buying a while ago. If I''m investing that much..I''d rather just save longer and go to Hermès.

jcrow

Ideal_Rock
yeh, they increase rather often. and significantly so when they do.

UCLABelle

Ideal_Rock
I was never a huge LV fan, but I feel your pain (Tiffany''s and Burberry, two of my favorites, often raise their prices...).

jewelerman

Ideal_Rock
Its hard to differanciate between actual product company increases and the stores additional increases to make more on the product.

diamondfan

Super_Ideal_Rock
Companies like Chanel and Hermes, either with their own boutiques or product in department stores, have across the board increases. One store does not just raise prices randomly.

fleur-de-lis

Brilliant_Rock
Well, never underestimate the power of the dollar exchange rate when looking at luxury foreign goods; assuming that most of the posters on the thread are from the US, it''s probably worth note that the names of the company-offenders which were brought up here are Hermes, LV, Chanel, and Burberry-- all companies in Euro territory. (Tiffany&Co has actually had far fewer price increases; they went between 2004-2006 without one on their catalogue/non-unique items.)

Just wait until inflation hits in earnest. The pressures of it historically (and logically) hit luxury goods differently than other goods, you''ll see the prices jump up beyond the reach of the middle class, and a backlash against these brands by young adults follows, until the next cycle begins anew.

f-d-l

meresal

Ideal_Rock
Date: 8/25/2008 1:38:26 PM
Author: fleur-de-lis
Well, never underestimate the power of the dollar exchange rate when looking at luxury foreign goods; assuming that most of the posters on the thread are from the US, it''s probably worth note that the names of the company-offenders which were brought up here are Hermes, LV, Chanel, and Burberry-- all companies in Euro territory. (Tiffany&Co has actually had far fewer price increases; they went between 2004-2006 without one on their catalogue/non-unique items.)

Just wait until inflation hits in earnest. The pressures of it historically (and logically) hit luxury goods differently than other goods, you''ll see the prices jump up beyond the reach of the middle class, and a backlash against these brands by young adults follows, until the next cycle begins anew.

f-d-l
I have a feeling that this has already happened, and most likely over 3 years ago when I was in college. Most younger women, I see with Coach (the $200 to $500 range) rather than the ones that have been listed ($1000+). I can honestly say that I don''t have many/if any friends that carry newer versions of LV.

blondebunny

Brilliant_Rock
so sad... i <3 LV!! I just sold some bags on ebay because I rarely used them,i got nothing for them.. so sad.. :(

Diamond*Dana

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I love LV...unfortunately, all bags will be over $1K at the rate they are going...and I do have a limit to what I am willing (able) to spend
7.gif

sammyj

Brilliant_Rock
Slight threadjack here but i thought you''d be the best ladies to give some insight...

I am going to Paris in 5 days and I was told LV and Chanel are less expensive there. Is this true? How much is ''less expensive''? Is it worth it??

Thanks!

mobius8

Shiny_Rock
This may be a terrible suggestion, but what about EBAY.
I have never bought a purse on there (male) so I don''t know if it''s difficult to make sure you are not getting a knock off, but I buy all my watches on there and get great deals.
I have 2 watches that retail for $550 each and I got them for $110 and $200

Just a thought.

Diamond*Dana

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 9/7/2008 10:24:02 AM
Author: sammyj
Slight threadjack here but i thought you'd be the best ladies to give some insight...

I am going to Paris in 5 days and I was told LV and Chanel are less expensive there. Is this true? How much is 'less expensive'? Is it worth it??

Thanks!
Hmm...I think that it all depends on the euro and dollar exchange, but I could be wrong.A great place to find this out is http://purseblog.com/ . They are very much in the know over there
36.gif
. Another one of my guilty pleasures, lol!

Italiahaircolor

Ideal_Rock
I wish I could agree that if this continues LV, Chanel, and Hermes will price themselves out of business...but last time I was at LV in Las Vegas I saw a fourteen year old buying a bag for herself with her mother...for her new school purse, as I overheard...
6.gif
6.gif

Years ago people probably would have bulked over paying 4.00+ dollars for a gallon of gas when gas was less than a dollar per gallon...but with each new generation, higher prices are becoming more regular. If a 14 year old can spend 1,000 on a purse now, when she''s 30 she probably will plunk down 10,000 without even batting an eye.

People will still buy LV, even if it means they pay a few hunderd dollars more if they value owning a LV.

I personally buy a coach bag every month or so. To me, $350-500 isn''t a huge deal because I work hard and I enjoy a nice bag...but only once a year can personally justify spending upwards of $1,500 on a single purse. For me, this price increase means I''ll still have the same budget, just looking at different LV bags from now on....oh well, who can complain when it comes to buying a LV!

am04

Shiny_Rock
Date: 9/7/2008 3:58:16 PM
Author: Diamond*Dana

Slight threadjack here but i thought you''d be the best ladies to give some insight...

I am going to Paris in 5 days and I was told LV and Chanel are less expensive there. Is this true? How much is ''less expensive''? Is it worth it??

Thanks!
Hmm...I think that it all depends on the euro and dollar exchange, but I could be wrong.A great place to find this out is http://purseblog.com/ . They are very much in the know over there
36.gif

Yes, it depends on the value of the euro v. the dollar. I bought a LV in Paris this summer and saved a considerable amount, even with the bad exchange rate. At base, the bag was priced less in Paris and then I received a VAT refund which helped a lot. I''d say it''s worth it to buy in Paris, just make sure you keep all your paperwork and remember to mail it before returning home!

sammyj

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 9/10/2008 1:10:22 PM
Author: am04

Date: 9/7/2008 3:58:16 PM
Author: Diamond*Dana

Thanks!
36.gif

Yes, it depends on the value of the euro v. the dollar. I bought a LV in Paris this summer and saved a considerable amount, even with the bad exchange rate. At base, the bag was priced less in Paris and then I received a VAT refund which helped a lot. I''d say it''s worth it to buy in Paris, just make sure you keep all your paperwork and remember to mail it before returning home!
thanks for the great tips!!!!

sba771

Brilliant_Rock
Hi,

I moved to Frankfurt (loooong story, not so happy with it) but the good news is LV is aprox $300 or so US dollars cheaper per bag. The prices did go up a ton though in general- a bag I got 3 years ago is 400 more now. I am looking for a new bag as a present for my FI dragging me here so I have been doing a ton of comparison shopping and when I saw how much the LVs went up, I couldn''t bring myself to buy it- even though it was still less than in the states. I am getting a Gucci instead
2.gif

Steel

Ideal_Rock
Date: 8/25/2008 1:38:26 PM
Author: fleur-de-lis

f-d-l
Hi FDL,

I do not understand what you mean here. I can see the prices going up and up and up but supposed they would slow or stop sometime. Do you mean that they probably will just go up (so should I buy while I can afford to? Le Fab - i''m coming darling!). What do you mean by the backlash - that the under 40''s will buy another brand? What/when is this new cycle?

I know this is an older post so can anybody else shed some light for me if FDL does not see this?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results