shape
carat
color
clarity

Fun money?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Peepa

Shiny_Rock
I''m sure this has been asked before and one of you may just send me to a link which is cool but I was wondering, how much do you guys spend on shopping?
I''ve been pretty good at around 200-300 a month but I think I may be going over a bit. And that figure includes things for the house too like frames, pillows, towels, etc. I''m thinking I don''t have to shop as much as I do but too many times I feel like I don''t have anything to wear. And I''m a total discount shopper as in I''ll spend the time to find that gem at Ross or walk up and down the aisles at TJMaxx just in case I missed something cute.

LaraOnline

Ideal_Rock
When you''ve got a house to decorate, yourself to clothe - and a man (or worse, a family) to feed, there''s never enough to go around. Basically I buy groceries, pay the impending bills - and whatever''s left over, if anything, might go on a little trinket here or a new shirt for a child. When the money''s gone, the show''s over until next payday.
Luckily, I have a few direct debits for things like children''s education fund, so I don''t have to think about them too much. And there''s always my credit card to bail me out. Oh, wait?! Could the credit card be the start of my problems?
20.gif

2.gif

Tacori E-ring

Super_Ideal_Rock
I hardly spend ANYTHING on me anymore. It is all for the baby and the house.

pennquaker09

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 9/27/2008 11:42:43 AM
Author: Tacori E-ring

BabyGap has new stuff. That''s all I''m gonna say. I just got back from a trip home (Alabama and Georgia) and I was able to get a lot of stuff that sells out up here.

Rhea

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I''m not a shopper. We shop for the house together and purchases are planned. Last time I shopped for clothes I spent $250, which happens about twice a year. We''re both savers. I have an unhealthly relationship with money; I can talk myself out of any potential purchase.

NewEnglandLady

Ideal_Rock
Date: 9/28/2008 6:01:06 PM
Author: Addy
I''m not a shopper. We shop for the house together and purchases are planned. Last time I shopped for clothes I spent $250, which happens about twice a year. We''re both savers. I have an unhealthly relationship with money; I can talk myself out of any potential purchase.
Ditto to Addy, though I would add that in addition to being able to talk myself out of any purchase, I often feel guilty for spending money instead of saving it. So when I do purchase something, I have this argument in my head about whether it was worth it (which includes me calculating interest on the purchase price to see how much I could gain if I saved the money for 5 years--ridiculous!). Because I hate shopping, my tactic is to go to the clearance rack and occasionally buy something cute. If I find a great bargain--not just a bargain, but a really great bargain--then I might think about it, haha. In general, I take a trip to the outlet mall twice a year and that''s basically the only shopping I do. Even when I get gift cards as gifts, I just save them and hoard them until I find great clearance pieces.

Tacori E-ring

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 9/28/2008 4:50:49 PM
Author: pennquaker09

BabyGap has new stuff. That''s all I''m gonna say. I just got back from a trip home (Alabama and Georgia) and I was able to get a lot of stuff that sells out up here.

Haha! You are bad! My daughter has a closet *full* of clothes (AND three huge tubs of stuff she has outgrown
20.gif
) She is so spoiled. But I DO have a 30% off card (since I have a BR CC)
27.gif
I might have to take a look.

steph72276

Ideal_Rock

Ditto to that, Tacori....but my son on the other hand is the best dressed kid in school! It is amazing how your priorities change so much when you have a child!

steph72276

Ideal_Rock
Date: 9/28/2008 4:50:49 PM

Oh my goodness Penn....I love baby gap''s little pajamas. They are the softest things....so worth the money.

puffy

Brilliant_Rock
like those with kids, i hardly buy much for myself. everytime i go shopping, i end up looking at stuff for Brady. he has like 6 tubs of clothes he no longer fits or never even wore. he has endless pairs of shoes and designer jeans and jackets. so it is all about him. but i admit, i do splurge a few times a year. we are very lucky in that we are living pretty comfortably to make this possible.

LitigatorChick

Brilliant_Rock
Okay, now I feel like a bad mommy. I spend tonnes on Miller (I concur on baby gap PJs - also love the skivvies for boys at knuckleheadsclothing.com), but I also spend plenty on myself!!! We are getting a new home in a year, so not a lot of spending there, but plenty on clothes, shoes, etc. for me. You gotta look after yourself, mommies!!!

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Well, I have two boys and spend a ton on clothes for them. During the summer, I inventoried what they have and decided to take what is in good condition, yet too small, to a consignment store. I've wasted TONS of $ on items they don't like and that I forget to return. I'm sick of taking things to the thrift store, when instead I can recoop a bit of what I spent!

I'm not sure how much I spend on myself. It use to be quite a bit, but DH changed jobs and I've changed priorities. Since both my kids are in elementary school now and I'm still a "SAHM," I feel bad buying new clothes when DH is working all day and all I'm doing is volunteering at my sons' school. Haven't decided when to look for a job yet. Even if I do get one, I'll still put most of it in savings.

puffy

Brilliant_Rock
while i totally agree about pampering myself and making myself feel and look nice, i think my priorities shifted once brady was born. while i was pregnant, i still spent a ton on myself and on stuff that we needed to get for his arrival. but after he was born, i have cut down drastically how much i spend on myself. while i love my designer jeans, shoes, bags, and bling, it became more important to me for B to have educational toys, or new clothes (and he has ALL designer stuff), or even money in his account. yes, we have started an account for him which we deposit money to every month. i admit it would be nice to splurge on myself, but even when i know i can, i don''t.

LC you are not a bad mommy by any means! your son is taken care of, he has a home, clothes, food. he''s happy. treat yourself if it makes you feel good!!

Italiahaircolor

Ideal_Rock
LOL, this thread makes me feel disgusting!

I shop constantly...

On my home, monthly, I probably spend around 1,500 in accessories a month. Of course, we just redid the house, so it''s been excessive...but not abnormal for me.

On clothing, I don''t "go out to buy clothing" on purpose...if I''m out, and see something I want/like, I buy it. So, total a month, it''s probably 800-1,000 bucks. Now, if we''re talking purses...or a month that I get the new bag bug, it''s probably like 3k.

On my DH, I probably spend 500 a month on his clothing if you broke it down...but we shop for him mostly twice yearly.

I spend about $250.00 a month on my dogs; including their raw food diet which is mucho expensive.

omieluv

Ideal_Rock
I totally do the same thing and it drives my BF crazy. He likes to save too, but thinks I am a bit extreme
20.gif

butterfly 17

Ideal_Rock
I don''t have fun money per say, but basically, if I see something I want and I can afford, I buy it. I always try to find a good deal though.

I have been pretty good though, esp. since we bought the house last year, but still there are times when I can''t help myself, case in point, the simon g ring I got. I saw it, I wanted it, I bought it. It was not something I had planned on, saved for or was for any major occasion, but I thought it was a good deal and decided to get it.

I have not really bought anything for the house lately. I did have that landscaping thread a while back and I did do some landscaping in the backyard in the summer time( I kind of felt I had no choice, it was either that or walk around in the mud left over from the pool), but the house itself was fairly new, only a year old when I bought, so I really didn''t need to do any major renovations inside.

Plus, I hate clutter and the more I buy, the more space I need to store it.

As far as the kids clothes, I usually shop at the Children''s Place for them. I will buy at babyGap, but usually try to find things on sale online. Plus, I have plenty of clothes from my oldest daughter Kayla and my three year old Kara, that I really don''t even need to buy clothes for the baby, I guess that''s one of the perks of having all girls. I also tend to like Carter''s stuff for newborns (at Babies r us). They seem to have a lot more selection and are a lot more colorful.

I do know sometimes that I go way overboard and need to stop. Another example, I got my upgrade in June, in July, I got a Simon G setting for it (I had already purchased a new setting in June when I first got it). In August, I bought 6 wedding bands to go with the new setting that was purchased in July.

Do I need 6 wedding bands, no, but I couldn''t decide which one to get and they all seemed fairly cheap, but when you add them all up, I am not sure how cheap it is anymore!

Luckily, I have been pregnant the past year, so I have not splurged on clothes or shoes at all. Bags, well, that''s another story!
23.gif

pennquaker09

Brilliant_Rock
I really get carried away when I walk into babyGap. I think the last go around I almost bought each piece of the fall collection . . .

pennquaker09

Brilliant_Rock
. . . in boy and girl.

Tacori E-ring

Super_Ideal_Rock
Penn, I thought of you yesterday when I was at Gap/baby Gap. I bought a really cute pair of cords for myself...highly unusual and of course an outfit for the little girl. They had really cute boy stuff this season! But I have no boy
2.gif

pennquaker09

Brilliant_Rock
Those delicious bell bottom cords?

Tacori E-ring

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 10/4/2008 12:38:07 PM

Yes! In the dark graphite color. Too bad I have to have a foot taken off the bottom. I am *so* short. Hope it doesn''t ruin them.

pennquaker09

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 10/4/2008 12:55:16 PM
Date: 10/4/2008 12:38:07 PM

Yes! In the dark graphite color. Too bad I have to have a foot taken off the bottom. I am *so* short. Hope it doesn''t ruin them.

Take them to a tailor and tell him or her you want an original hem.

diamondfan

Super_Ideal_Rock
I am bad too.

I went through all the closets this summer for my kids and was APPALLED at what they never wore and that I gave away. My youngest had such gorgeous things, and luckily I have a nephew who is just enough younger to use the stuff. Other than socks and undies he never has to shop again, down to coats, dress clothes and full ski gear.

My oldest is slim and has a build that is much more muscley than my middle, so his stuff almost never fits my middle son and I got tired of keeping it all stored away. I am being brutal about it this year and NOT buying tons that never gets worn.

I did by my youngest a lot on mini boden though for fall and winter. Cute stuff.

I am really bad with myself. I do not think a day goes by I am not shopping. I just gave away of ton of clothes and bought a lot of new things including shoes and bags. I do not tend to have a buy some get rid of some rule but my closet was stuffed as were my guest closet and sitting room closets. I could not find anything. I also spent a small fortune on clothes and accessories for the bar mitzvah so I am good for a while.

Rhea

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 10/3/2008 9:36:58 PM
Author: omieluv

I'm not a shopper. We shop for the house together and purchases are planned. Last time I shopped for clothes I spent $250, which happens about twice a year. We're both savers. I have an unhealthly relationship with money; I can talk myself out of any potential purchase.

I totally do the same thing and it drives my BF crazy. He likes to save too, but thinks I am a bit extreme
20.gif

Yesterday I went to a charity shop to look for books, which is actually one thing I buy regularly, and managed to talk myself out a £2 book. My arguement with DH was that I didn't like the character's names (Girl, Guy, and Buster) and thought they would annoy me as I was reading. DH argues that I was just talking myself out of a purchase as usual.

I have to admit, when I set out to look for an item of clothing or housewears I buy what fits my ideal no matter if it's £5 or £300. Case in point, my beautiful Russell & Bromley boots, £200 or so (I blocked out of memory but between £200-£299). But they were exactly the boots I wanted and I just couldn't find anything I wanted for less. To me, it's maybe not how much I spend, but the item must be exactly what I want. The £2 book wasn't (stupid character names I tell you!) but the £200 boots were. Of course, I did put off buying the boots for a year because they were too much money and annoyed DH by dragging him to every store for two winters only to compare every pair of boots I found to the Russell and Bromley ones.

pennquaker09

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 10/5/2008 12:27:36 AM
Author: diamondfan
I am bad too.

I went through all the closets this summer for my kids and was APPALLED at what they never wore and that I gave away. My youngest had such gorgeous things, and luckily I have a nephew who is just enough younger to use the stuff. Other than socks and undies he never has to shop again, down to coats, dress clothes and full ski gear.

My oldest is slim and has a build that is much more muscley than my middle, so his stuff almost never fits my middle son and I got tired of keeping it all stored away. I am being brutal about it this year and NOT buying tons that never gets worn.

I did by my youngest a lot on mini boden though for fall and winter. Cute stuff.

I am really bad with myself. I do not think a day goes by I am not shopping. I just gave away of ton of clothes and bought a lot of new things including shoes and bags. I do not tend to have a buy some get rid of some rule but my closet was stuffed as were my guest closet and sitting room closets. I could not find anything. I also spent a small fortune on clothes and accessories for the bar mitzvah so I am good for a while.

I can see myself ending up the same way. I noticed that I buy myself a lot of stuff that I never wear and I end up giving it away, so I try not to buy something unless I know I''d wear it.

partgypsy

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have never spent much money on clothes for myself. When I was younger I didn''t care (I was part of the grunge generation), then was more interested in clothes was a poor grad student with no money. A few years later then I had my first baby, a girl and oh my little girls clothing is just SO CUTE, even the shoes are so cute and so much more fun shopping for than grown up clothes, so even when intending to do some clothes shopping for myself would look at the kids clothes (but not necessarily buy a ton) and run out of time for getting clothes for myself. Does this happen to anyone else or am I weird?
As I was really trying to talk myself out of having a second one I gave away practically all her clothes with the exception of a few sentimental pieces. And then I had a second girl and the fun began again! After five years of that (and my clothes all stretched out from pre-post maternity wear) I was getting to the point of almost being sick of my clothes when getting dressed in the morning. So instead of being the year of jewelry this has been the year of getting clothes for myself. Nothing too much exciting but jeans and pants that actually fit, new bras and underwear, last year new boots and this year 3 new sandals.

partgypsy

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Just for sh*ts and giggles figured out how much this year I''ve spent on clothes for myself. And this is a banner year for me.

Dec-Jan
39.26 dress barn (shirt, sweater)
77.39 macy’s (boots)
Feb-Mar
112.10 lands end (chinos,cropped pants)
Jun-Jul
45.35 macy’s (linen shirt, dress)
85.38 macy’s (2 sandals)
64.95 shoebuy (sandals)
Aug-Sept
51 Land’s end (pants, tshirt)
Sept- Oct
84.85 J. Jill (pants, tshirt, tank)
63.04 Belks (3 bras, underwear)

=623.32

UCLABelle

Ideal_Rock
Part Gypsy! Good for you!

I am one that buys if I like something, and unfortunately give away a bunch of clothes to my friends (nwt). I am REALLY trying to be better, and now I try on EVERYTHING and stay in the room for 5 mins to be sure. This has helped a TON!

partgypsy

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I wasn''t trying to brag or shut down the conversation
7.gif
. I wish I could brag and say I have such great self control etc, but it''s really that a) I don''t have much time to shop and b) since I don''t shop very often I''m not very good at it and c) I''m both picky AND cheap. My sister often teases me she is going to recommend me for one of those makeover shows.

Ironically because I am going on a big family trip with the in-laws, actually more aware of hmm, how do my kids and I look? So I went out and got them couple new outfits, new shoes and got myself an honest to goodness bag, rather than having to resort to the ratty tote I usually use for a purse, or the messenger bag I use for to and from work. I''m actually quite happy having a REAL bag! Hubby will have to fend for himself.

It''s a fossil NS tote in solid plum
36.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results