shape
carat
color
clarity

Opinions On This Ring / Blue Nile?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

bbddpp

Rough_Rock
The girlfriend found this online and built and sent it. Can probably get a slight discount with coupon as well. Any opinions on this stone and blue nile in general?

http://www.bluenile.com/atransfer.jsp?sourceid=12005&eid=197&ver=1.0&track=body&elem=image2&elem_desc=viewring&goto=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.bluenile.com%2Fdesign.jsp%3Foid%3D4504%26style%3D4504%26pid%3DLD01209050%26filter_id%3D1%26override%3D1%26ring_size%3D4.5

neatfreak

Super_Ideal_Rock
You can do much better than that stone. Isn't a very nice cut at all, and it's really deep so it will face up smaller than it's carat weight should. BN as a vendor is fine, reliable and such, but they are a drop shipper, so you will never get the same amount of care or information that you will from one of the other vendors like Good Old Gold or Whiteflash.

I buy small pieces from BN but for something as important as an engagement ring I'd buy elsewhere personally.

PinkSummer

Rough_Rock
I like Bluenile and purchased my E-ring online. They have always been good on customer service. Here is a diamond I found that is much better quality... Ideal cut and has an HCA of 1.6 (anything less than 2 is ideal).
www.bluenile.com
Just make sure you get it appraised when you get it and if you don''t like it, you can always send it back before 30 days. Or you can try www.goodoldgold.com (they have a good uprgrade policy) and can give you some more personal service.

bbddpp

Rough_Rock
Thanks very much - I think unfortunately for her it''s a "where did you get it" thing as well as a quality thing, so I am stuck at the moment. I figure I am can get a loose diamond and find a setting and have it put together somewhere (what''s the best way to approach that, a local jeweler where you bring the two parts in and have them assemble and size it?)

So I''m sort of stuck at the moment, trying to decide how I can get her the best ring for the money without her thinking I cheaped out by not just buying retail.

Are the places you mentioned there all in one jewelers as well? I''ll check their sites out next.

Thanks a ton for the fast reply. And the opinion on the stone. I very much appreciate that. I just want to get her the best quality I can.

neatfreak

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 10/18/2008 4:01:35 PM
Author: bbddpp
Thanks very much - I think unfortunately for her it''s a ''where did you get it'' thing as well as a quality thing, so I am stuck at the moment. I figure I am can get a loose diamond and find a setting and have it put together somewhere (what''s the best way to approach that, a local jeweler where you bring the two parts in and have them assemble and size it?)

So I''m sort of stuck at the moment, trying to decide how I can get her the best ring for the money without her thinking I cheaped out by not just buying retail.

Are the places you mentioned there all in one jewelers as well? I''ll check their sites out next.

Thanks a ton for the fast reply. And the opinion on the stone. I very much appreciate that. I just want to get her the best quality I can.

Huh? I am confused by the "cheaped out" statement. If she put it together and sent it to you, wouldn''t that say that it is ok for you to buy online?

The vendors I mentioned are mostly online, but Good Old Gold also has a retail store in Long Island. Winfield''s Jewelers (Wink), and Pearlman''s Jewelers are also well known PS vendors that also have retail stores.

As for buying the stone and setting, it looks like she wants something pretty basic, so I would buy both from the same vendor and they will set it for you for free.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 10/18/2008 4:00:57 PM
Author: PinkSummer
I like Bluenile and purchased my E-ring online. They have always been good on customer service. Here is a diamond I found that is much better quality... Ideal cut and has an HCA of 1.6 (anything less than 2 is ideal).
www.bluenile.com
Just make sure you get it appraised when you get it and if you don't like it, you can always send it back before 30 days. Or you can try www.goodoldgold.com (they have a good uprgrade policy) and can give you some more personal service.
Just for the benefit of those reading who may not be familiar with how the HCA works, diamonds which score 2 or below are considered worthy of further evaluation, the HCA isn't used for selection but elimination. You then assess each diamond with Idealscope images, trusted vendor/ appraiser input and ultimately your own eyes. Also in some cases diamonds which score over 2 with top symmetry can also be good performers, same applies to evaluate as above. If you already have Idealscope/ ASET images or other technologies which assess cut quality, then the HCA's use is limited.

bbddpp

Rough_Rock
Thanks also for the link to that other stone. I appreciate the advice as I had previously looked at color and clarity but didn''t know much about the rest. So seeing that information you provided is appreciated. I have been reading up on FAQs but it seems there is a lot to learn!

I am okay to spend a little more money on a better diamond than the original one she found, I''d certainly like to stay around a carat or at least one that faces properly, which is why I appreciated that advice that her initial find would not show that it''s a full carat. That''s really good to know.

The search continues!

bbddpp

Rough_Rock
Well, I am sort of just playing devil''s advocate here, I totally agree with you -- I told her about Costco''s reputation for good stones and her response was "I don''t think I''d want to wear a ring from COSTCO!". You know, that sort of mentality. So it''s tough to sell, oh I got it from "xxxxx" when it''s a place SHE had never heard of, though I would assume after researching these other places she would see they are known for their quality. She''s sort of a sucker for the high-profile places so naturally Blue Nile is where she went first online.

Oh and in that diamond you sent me on BN, I don''t see the HCA of 1.6 listed on that page, is that a figure you had to get elsewhere?

Much thanks everyone. I have learned a ton in the last 10 minutes. ;-)

neatfreak

Super_Ideal_Rock
This one is also a nice choice and is a 1.12
http://www.whiteflash.com/round_ideal_cut/Round-Ideal-Cut-cut-diamond-1181440.htm

Ohh or this one looks nice and is a G Si2 just like she picked. Certainly economical at $4500 (and I think there is still a discount if you pay by bankwire, ask!) Make sure to ask about eyecleanliness on this one, I don't know if you can see those carbon inclusions without a loupe or not:

http://www.whiteflash.com/round_ideal_cut/Round-Ideal-Cut-cut-diamond-1204636.htm

bbddpp

Rough_Rock
Thanks neatfreak! See I do have a lot to learn, as that diamond is actually lower on the color scale than the blue nile diamond, but you note that it is a much better choice - That just goes to show there is a lot more to it than just looking at the color and clarity of a stone!

I noticed a lot of these are SI2 or SI1, is that something I need to be concerned with, will it ruin the sparkle?

neatfreak

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 10/18/2008 4:12:03 PM
Well, I am sort of just playing devil''s advocate here, I totally agree with you -- I told her about Costco''s reputation for good stones and her response was ''I don''t think I''d want to wear a ring from COSTCO!''. You know, that sort of mentality. So it''s tough to sell, oh I got it from ''xxxxx'' when it''s a place SHE had never heard of, though I would assume after researching these other places she would see they are known for their quality. She''s sort of a sucker for the high-profile places so naturally Blue Nile is where she went first online.

Oh and in that diamond you sent me on BN, I don''t see the HCA of 1.6 listed on that page, is that a figure you had to get elsewhere?

Much thanks everyone. I have learned a ton in the last 10 minutes. ;-)

It''s funny you say that because I don''t think Bluenile and high profile in the same sentence personally...

But anyway, Whiteflash has a FABULOUS reputation, and services much higher end clients than BN. I don''t think she''d protest from there.

And while Costco certainly does have SOME nice stones to be had, i still think you can do better online.

bbddpp

Rough_Rock
This is great - The other advice I appreciate here is how you are helping me see what type of diamonds would look better in the setting she has chosen too. She has definitely expressed interest in the tapered cathedral setting. She has a small finger so she wanted something a little more fluid.

Is there anything you see at a slightly higher price range that might work, possibly with better clarity or color? If I save on the setting I might be able to put a little more into a better rock! ;-)

neatfreak

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 10/18/2008 4:15:19 PM
Thanks neatfreak! See I do have a lot to learn, as that diamond is actually lower on the color scale than the blue nile diamond, but you note that it is a much better choice - That just goes to show there is a lot more to it than just looking at the color and clarity of a stone!

I noticed a lot of these are SI2 or SI1, is that something I need to be concerned with, will it ruin the sparkle?

The CUT is what is most important. An ideal cut=ideal sparkle. Clarity in these type of stones doesn''t matter as much, as long as they are what we call "eyeclean", meaning you can''t see inclusions with the naked eye in the face up position. An ideally cut H stone will look MUCH MUCH whiter than a crappily cut/graded "G". And a well graded SI1 or SI2 can be a great value, as I said as long as it''s eyeclean.

Many people go down to I or J very happily in ideal cut stones, but this H is a very safe choice if you don''t know if she would be ok with that.

neatfreak

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 10/18/2008 4:17:45 PM
This is great - The other advice I appreciate here is how you are helping me see what type of diamonds would look better in the setting she has chosen too. She has definitely expressed interest in the tapered cathedral setting. She has a small finger so she wanted something a little more fluid.

Is there anything you see at a slightly higher price range that might work, possibly with better clarity or color? If I save on the setting I might be able to put a little more into a better rock! ;-)

Sure! There are lots, I was trying to stay as low on price as possible for you.

Just go here:

http://www.whiteflash.com/diamonds/Default.aspx

Pick your targets as far as color/clarity, and then choose ACA stones only. ANY ACA stone would be a great choice cut wise, so then you just pick what works with your budget.

bbddpp

Rough_Rock
Wow I am really starting to like WhiteFlash! Okay so two more questions...

1 - When you say to ask them about the diamond quality, they can answer specific questions about eyecleanliness and stuff and will be honest about the stone? That IS good service! So you can ask specific diamond questions and get a response?

2 - I saw one website say a GIA report is a better diamond than a AGS. True?

neatfreak

Super_Ideal_Rock
And your GF can read here how many celebrities have worn jewelry from WF.
2.gif

http://www.whiteflash.com/whiteflash_articles/

neatfreak

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 10/18/2008 4:20:43 PM
Wow I am really starting to like WhiteFlash! Okay so two more questions...

1 - When you say to ask them about the diamond quality, they can answer specific questions about eyecleanliness and stuff and will be honest about the stone? That IS good service! So you can ask specific diamond questions and get a response?

2 - I saw one website say a GIA report is a better diamond than a AGS. True?

#1: Yes, they can look at each stone because ACA stones are all in house, and they will be totally honest with you. They are a wonderful vendor. I recommend calling instead of emailing, the service is better IMO.

#2. Not true. AGS is usually actually regarded as a more reliable grading house, especially for cut. But GIA is normally great too. Many of the better quality stones actually have AGS reports.

bbddpp

Rough_Rock
Ah, understood about Cut. Great explanation there.

And I never heard the term "eyeclean" before but I get it - Makes sense. The fact I could ask someone there about it is a bonus. As long as they are honest about it!

My only hesitation now is that I hoped to buy this and give it to her on vacation, but then we''d miss the 10 day return window if there was an issue, which I don''t like. The one comfort I did have with Blue Nile was 30 days for a full refund, no questions asked, WhiteFlash seems to have a stricter return policy if for some reason she doesn''t like the ring.

neatfreak

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 10/18/2008 4:23:54 PM
Ah, understood about Cut. Great explanation there.

And I never heard the term 'eyeclean' before but I get it - Makes sense. The fact I could ask someone there about it is a bonus. As long as they are honest about it!

My only hesitation now is that I hoped to buy this and give it to her on vacation, but then we'd miss the 10 day return window if there was an issue, which I don't like. The one comfort I did have with Blue Nile was 30 days for a full refund, no questions asked, WhiteFlash seems to have a stricter return policy if for some reason she doesn't like the ring.

You can call WF and ask about this. I have heard they make exceptions if necessary, but you'd need to talk to them beforehand. Also a return is different than an "upgrade" or trade in with Whiteflash too. So you do have options with them.

But trust me, if she sent you the other stone and setting as a "hint" of what she wants, she will be blown away with this stone and setting. The setting is the same, but better quality IMO and the stone will be a Hearts and Arrows cut diamond (Like the way too expensive Hearts on Fire stones). Only the top stones get this designation, so there wouldn't be anything better!

ETA: And the Bluenile coupons usually aren't valid on the diamond, just the setting FYI.

bbddpp

Rough_Rock
You have no idea how helpful you have been. Do you work for WF? If not you should. ;-)

So with this setting...

Sleek Lines At Whiteflash

If you have any good suggestions for diamonds in around the $5,000 range give or take I''d love suggestions, in addition to the great ones above already, I''d probably be willing to spend a bit more. But I think I may be calling to make a purchase if they''d be willing to extend the return window a slight bit!

You have been INSANELY helpful!

By the way I know what you mean about the BN coupons, there is one I have that took 10% off the setting and one that took $100 off a custom diamond, so either way I was looking at around $100 savings. No biggie. From what I have learned here I am gonna get her a better stone this way!

neatfreak

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 10/18/2008 4:32:35 PM
You have no idea how helpful you have been. Do you work for WF? If not you should. ;-)

So with this setting...

Sleek Lines At Whiteflash

If you have any good suggestions for diamonds in around the $5,000 range give or take I''d love suggestions, in addition to the great ones above already, I''d probably be willing to spend a bit more. But I think I may be calling to make a purchase if they''d be willing to extend the return window a slight bit!

You have been INSANELY helpful!

By the way I know what you mean about the BN coupons, there is one I have that took 10% off the setting and one that took $100 off a custom diamond, so either way I was looking at around $100 savings. No biggie. From what I have learned here I am gonna get her a better stone this way!

I am very glad to help. I don''t work for WF, but wish I did, think of the discount! In actuality I am pregnant with twins and on bedrest, so helping men buy engagement rings is much more fun than television when my husband is running errands or at work! I am very glad to help.

I would call WF and ask them if they have suggestions for stones in your budget. Sometimes they have stones that haven''t made it to the website yet, and they are usually very very helpful. I''ve never heard of someone getting intentionally misled by a WF sales representative, they really are great.

And if you want some pictures type Whiteflash ACA into the search box and you''ll see what I mean about these being stunning diamonds.

bbddpp

Rough_Rock
Thanks, that''s great -- I''m not being lazy, I know there are thousands of choices for a stone, but I would just hate to pick the wrong one for that setting! That is where the guidance helps. I''ll take another look at the stones you linked above, if you see any others in your travels of that same high certification (I have heard of hearts on fire, wow, to think they are the same quality!) I would love to know, even if the cost of the stone seeps up into the 5,000s.

Well I certainly thank you for all your help! It is sure appreciated, I know you still have other things you could be doing despite being on bedrest so I thank you!!!

neatfreak

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 10/18/2008 4:38:04 PM
Thanks, that''s great -- I''m not being lazy, I know there are thousands of choices for a stone, but I would just hate to pick the wrong one for that setting! That is where the guidance helps. I''ll take another look at the stones you linked above, if you see any others in your travels of that same high certification (I have heard of hearts on fire, wow, to think they are the same quality!) I would love to know, even if the cost of the stone seeps up into the 5,000s.

Well I certainly thank you for all your help! It is sure appreciated, I know you still have other things you could be doing despite being on bedrest so I thank you!!!

No problem!!! Everyone here was very helpful when my now husband and I were looking for engagement rings, glad to pay it forward!

neatfreak

Super_Ideal_Rock
Oh and one more tip. If you are unsure of what you want to buy, but think you've found "the one", you can always put it on hold with the vendor and come back here for opinions. Just make sure you put it on hold first as occasionally lurkers snatch nice stones up. Weekends are slower here, but the boards move pretty quickly and you'll get some responses pretty fast.

ETA: If she's a size girl that 1.12 looks pretty great for the price...

bbddpp

Rough_Rock
Thanks, I took another look at that stone - That''s not one of the ACA or Hearts and Arrows types, right? I had to drop the search criteria down to standard round to get that to show again -- ACA showed only much higher priced stones.

bbddpp

Rough_Rock
Just to be safe, I built the ring with the 1.12 and added it to my wishlist, anything else I need to do to hold it? Do I need to call to do that? I can''t call because she is in the house today, so I''d need to do this quietly. ;-) All under 6k, not a bad deal from what I am hearing from you!

stone-cold11

Super_Ideal_Rock
yap, ACA are usually more expensive.

neatfreak

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 10/18/2008 4:52:30 PM
Thanks, I took another look at that stone - That's not one of the ACA or Hearts and Arrows types, right? I had to drop the search criteria down to standard round to get that to show again -- ACA showed only much higher priced stones.

It is an expert selection stone, which means it missed ACA criteria by just a tiny bit. It will show arrows as you can see in the pictures, but they might not be as PERFECT as the ACA stones. Still eligible for upgrades though and very nice! It's a tad deep which is why it might not have made ACA status. It also looks like it might have a bit of light leakage under the table, but it's still a good deal for what it is and is miles ahead of the one she picked from BN. It's certainly the budget option if she thinks 1 ct. is the "minimum" she wants ya know?

If not, then you might be better off with the other H I linked to first. THAT is a super ideal stone.

To hold it I believe you need to call them...

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results