shape
carat
color
clarity

thinking of resetting diamond, am i crazy?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

ficklefaye

Brilliant_Rock
i have finally registered as a PSer, lurker no more! anyway, i have good news and bad news. the good news is over a year ago, my fiance proposed with a very beautiful loose diamond, 1.25ct, color F, VVS1, H&A. he went with the loose diamond because he wanted me to pick my own setting. he knew that i would be looking at this ring for the rest of my life, so he wanted me to pick one that i loved. how sweet is that?

now for the bad news. we went to a jeweler friend of his and i picked a setting i thought i liked from the limited selection he had. i liked it at the time and i didn''t think it would matter to me since the diamond was so pretty. i was wrong, after finding pricescope, i saw all the different choices and now i am not opposed to getting something custom. the only thing is that part of me is feeling that i am being superficial and i am spending money when it could be spent on something more important. am i crazy?

i will be posting photos later today, but just to wind things down, i am looking for a setting that is more me. more whimsy, more artsy, if that makes any sense. i have shown interest in the niwaka rings, but they appear to be for smaller diamonds. i also like the mark morrell torchiere, but those look like they would work best with larger diamonds. my fiance and i met on a beach, so i am leaning more towards a flowy, wavy design.

thank you all for listening. any help would be graciously appreciated since i have not liked this setting since i bought it.
33.gif

wishinpink

Brilliant_Rock
You could always use the setting you bought for something else- like a RHR?

You could also try to see if you could return the setting so you could buy a new setting?

You could try to trade in your setting you don''t like for store credit, towards buying a new setting?

You could try to sell your setting you don''t like?

I think you should pick the setting you like!!!

puffy

Brilliant_Rock
welcome
35.gif

if you are truly unhappy with the setting then reset it, as you will look at for the rest of your life. if you are unhappy only because you are seeing everyone else''s rings, but you were perfectly happy with it before, then maybe hold off on resetting it. what does your fiance think about this?
i know i am no help as i know what you mean about seeing everyone''s gorgeous rings, but i love my setting and it''s perfect for me. but who''s to say that i won''t change my mind in a year or two.
whatever you decide to do, good luck!! and we would love to see pics of you ring!!

PrincessDijon

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 10/12/2008 1:47:45 PM
Author: puffy
welcome
35.gif

if you are truly unhappy with the setting then reset it, as you will look at for the rest of your life. if you are unhappy only because you are seeing everyone else's rings, but you were perfectly happy with it before, then maybe hold off on resetting it. what does your fiance think about this?

i know i am no help as i know what you mean about seeing everyone's gorgeous rings, but i love my setting and it's perfect for me. but who's to say that i won't change my mind in a year or two.

whatever you decide to do, good luck!! and we would love to see pics of you ring!!

Ditto to puffy on that one....

I am in the early stages of resetting and re cutting an old diamond for my new e-ring and I am currently trying to pick out a setting (by far the hardest part!!!!) My first marriage I never even heard of PS so I honestly "didn't care" what I got in an e-ring....

Now, I do...and seeing all of the many many setting choices on here doesn't help me narrow it down...lol....

Welcome to PS!!!!

35.gif

LGK

Ideal_Rock
If you really have never liked it, it's not likely to grow on you. I don't think it's crazy to reset a ring if you don't love the setting. I think it is important to love what you have to see on your hand everyday, especially to showcase a gorgeous stone perfectly. The setting can make an enormous difference... I have found that other people react VERY strongly to interesting settings. I had a plain temp setting, and got very few comments on my new stone, and then I got the permanent setting (more ornate and c.1920s) and suddenly everyone was commenting on the ring, and I definitely get more enjoyment out of it.

If you're really worried about cost, go white gold rather than platinum maybe?

I think if your DH is onboard, and you can afford it, go for it. If now isn't the optimal time to do it, is there anything you can do to make it a bit more fun in the meantime- engraving, a new band, a new head, or something? I have a ring that came with a setting and I never liked it much, especially the blah plain profile view. So I had Greenlake Jewelers engrave the two side profiles, and the whole shank. Now I still don't adore it, but I love the engraving and will be fine with it for a few more years, especially because it solved one of my biggest gripes- the boring profile. It will, however, get reset sometime in the next few years.

MMMD

Shiny_Rock
I change settings frequently so I''m no help.
1.gif

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Ugh, okay, I hate to say this, but if you loved your ring until looking at PS, then you're one of those who will CONSTANTLY find new styles you love and at some point, it's best to learn enjoy your ring for it being yours and enjoy the eye candy belonging to others rather than trying to change what you have. If you really want an artsy ring, possibly focus on a RHR?

lesco

Brilliant_Rock
No, you are not crazy. You are hanging around here too much!!!
41.gif

As long as you are not overextending yourself financially to change your setting, I would say make yourself happy...

If I ever get bored or dislike my current setting, I will change it. I will make sure that I get some mileage out of it first though!

luvmyhalo

Brilliant_Rock
You''re not crazy! (by PS standards anyway
3.gif
) I''ve re-set my stone twice in a year so I may not be the best person to be giving advice. I agree with lesco, if it won''t be a financial stretch, I say GO FOR IT! Just be sure that you look at a TON of pictures and try on as many different styles as you can. What you love in a photo, you may hate on your hand (and vice versa!)

ficklefaye

Brilliant_Rock
thank you for all your comments.

MC, i hear what you are saying. i think that is something i am trying to figure out myself. honestly, i had doubts about the setting when i bought it, but i thought it would grow on me. i''m used to wearing rings (plastic or glass, at times chunky), but never an engagement ring. i thought e-rings had to be a certain style. i didn''t know any better and i know it''s bad but i hadn''t done my research. pricescope just helped me see that there are so many options and e-rings don''t have to have the image i thought they did.

i have never been the type to follow fads, but i just want a setting that i will be happy with and smile when i look down at it.

ficklefaye

Brilliant_Rock
thanks, luvmyhalo. i will definitely do my research this time around.
2.gif

the biggest problem i have with my ring is the amount of metal in the setting itself. (i will post photos once i get home.) i thought, hey, chunkier prongs and band will make it afer. i am looking for something more dainty that doesn''t sacrifice security. again, my setting is chunky to me but may be thin to other people''s standards.
25.gif

ficklefaye

Brilliant_Rock
princessdijon, your ring in your avatar is gorgeous!

Burk

Ideal_Rock
I''ve also reset my diamond so another biased opinion here: if you don''t like it and finances aren''t a problem I think you should get something you love!!

Kelli

Ideal_Rock
He proposed to you with just a diamond because he knew you''d want a setting you love, so go get a setting you love!

marcy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I would get what you want. As wishinpink pointed out you have several options on what to do with your current setting. I was quite content with my original ering for 16 years then upgraded both diamond and wrings over 2 years ago. Since then I have had 3 different anniversary rings and another ering. Good luck.

MMT

Ideal_Rock
I say get the setting you want. It sounds like you have an incredible diamond and it needs the perfect home. Take your time and find the setting of your dreams. There are alot of them out there. Good Luck!!!
35.gif

panda08

Brilliant_Rock
Welcome, Ficklefaye!

No, you''re not crazy. Heck, I just got my custom ering and I''m seriously thinking about resetting it! I thought, for practical purposes, I wanted to get solitaire with the diamond set as low as possible. But I never tried one on to see what it would look like IRL. The only solitaire I tried on was the Tiffany classic 6 prong, which I love. I like my ering but it doesn''t make me swoon the way that the Tiffany solitaire makes me swoon. In hindsight, I should have tried on many different types of solitaires in order to get a better idea of what I wanted and, more importantly, what would look good. I''m struggling with the decision of whether to reset it higher, as I know it will be a costly mistake. I''ve thought about wearing it for six months and then deciding but I''ve worn it for two weeks and I''m thinking about it all the time! Maybe I need to stay off PS but I doubt I''m not going to care six months later. It''s a year later for you and you''re still thinking about it so, IMO, if you can afford a new setting, GO FOR IT! Your ering is something you will wear for the rest of your life. When you look down at your hand every day, your ring should make your heart flutter! Just be sure to do a TON of research and try on a bunch of different setting to see which one really speaks to you. Good luck!

laurel25

Brilliant_Rock
I agree that if you don''t like what you have and you can afford to reset, then go ahead. You have to look at the ring for the rest of your life and it should be something that you love. You said that you like flowy, wavy designs and Knox Jewelers has a couple of different settings that I thought of when you said that.

http://www.knoxjewelers.biz/index.htm?crn=261&rn=665&action=show_detail

http://www.knoxjewelers.biz/index.htm?crn=261&rn=1439&action=show_detail

http://www.knoxjewelers.biz/index.htm?crn=261&rn=1312&action=show_detail - might not be delicate enough though from the side view

http://www.knoxjewelers.biz/index.htm?crn=261&rn=1106&action=show_detail

ficklefaye

Brilliant_Rock
i really appreciate all the comments.
26.gif
my fiance is on board with the setting change. he knows it is something that has bothered me for awhile.

laurel25, thank you for your suggestions. I will look at them later, but for now i wanted to post pictures of my current setting. this is the top view. i haven''t learned how to post several at once, so bear with me.

1fayesring101208.jpg

ficklefaye

Brilliant_Rock
this is the side view

2fayesring101208.jpg

ficklefaye

Brilliant_Rock
this is the profile, this is the side that bothers me with the thickness

3fayesring101208.jpg

ficklefaye

Brilliant_Rock
ok this is the last one, it''s blurry, but it shows the ring''s profile off my finger, it looks ok not on my finger, but when it''s on my finger that''s when i notice how thick it is

4fayesring101208.jpg

ficklefaye

Brilliant_Rock
laurel25, i just took a look at the rings and i love the second one. most likely in a thinner band if it is possible. i will put it on my list of options. thank you!

laurel25

Brilliant_Rock
That''s my favorite one too and the one that I specifically thought you''d like based on your descriptions of what you wanted. It''s so fluid and elegant! Knox does tons of custom work and there are people here on PS who have had work done by them. Good luck!

~*Alexis*~

Brilliant_Rock
Knox is a good place to start and they are resonably priced and you might be suprised by the money you can get at Whiteflash too. They have a scattered band that is to die for that I have been eyeing for quite some time!

ficklefaye

Brilliant_Rock
thank you so much. i will look through whiteflash''s settings.

if any of you have seen more wavy, fluid settings, please let me know.
1.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results