shape
carat
color
clarity

The Cupcake Thread!

lili

Ideal_Rock
Mara--
Would you mind sharing your coconut cupcake recipe?
I tried one that I found from the Sunset and frankly it is a bit too buttery and rich.
Since you are a bit of a health nut, I figured your coconut cupcake would be healthier :)

If it is a trade secret recipe, then nevermind my request.

steph72276

Ideal_Rock
Hi, guys! Well, this thread has really uncovered a hidden talent for me! I have always loved to cook, but never really did that much baking. Well, then I started making cupcakes for family and friends and they loved them so much that it has kind of turned into a little business for me. I am doing my first paid order today...a birthday party. I made vanilla with pink icing and flowers, coconut with pink hearts, and chocolate. They all turned out really cute. I had my hubby take a quick pic of the pink ones on his blackberry b/c our camera broke, so the quality is not that great, but you can get the idea.

birthdaycupcake.jpg

Linda W

Super_Ideal_Rock
Those look lovely Steph and also delicious!!!
18.gif
. I am so happy this has turned into a business for you. I wish you good luck, I hope you do very well
36.gif

Linda

lili

Ideal_Rock
steph--
those look so cute and delicious!

steph72276

Ideal_Rock
Thanks Linda and Lily! They were a hit at the party today...everyone loved them! Hope this thread keeps up....I love everyone''s great ideas!

marcy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Steph, your cupcakes look lovely and yummy! What a fun business for you. Hi Mara!
35.gif

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 10/5/2008 12:31:37 AM
Author: marcyc
Steph, your cupcakes look lovely and yummy! What a fun business for you. Hi Mara!
35.gif
Ditto, they look delicious, and sooooo pretty. Glad you have a new business.
36.gif

And Hey to Mara!!! I am thrilled for you woman!!!!
36.gif
35.gif

steph72276

Ideal_Rock
Thanks, Marcy and Lisa! Ya''ll are too sweet!

Tacori E-ring

Super_Ideal_Rock
Steph, those are so cute! Yay for the new business!

steph72276

Ideal_Rock
Thanks, Tacori!

Allisonfaye

Brilliant_Rock
I am not sure if anyone has mentioned this on here but I just tried the Barefoot Contessa''s chocolate cupcake mix with chocolate icing and man are they good. I had tried her brownie mix and I wasn''t impressed at all. The cupcakes are wonderful. Light, chocolatey with fluffy icing.

Jas12

Ideal_Rock
Hey bakers extraordinaire
I can''t believe how big this thread got--who wudda thought cupcakes would generate this much interest. I haven''t have time to make it past page 10 but i am going to make some cuppies tomorrow (in time for canadian thanksgiving weekend) I want to do something pumpkin. I was actually thinking of doing a basic vanilla cake bottom and experimenting with a pumpkin frosting (cream cheese based with some pumpkin puree and spice) I don''t have a recipe but i am wondering if anyone has tried this. Don''t know how the puree will ''react'' or if the flavor will be decent. Thoughts? Tips?

(i think i''ll just do 1/2 of the frosting and if it doesn''t work i''ll make a nice maple frosting instead-yum)

Harriet

Super_Ideal_Rock
Does anyone have a recipe for Nutella cupcakes?

Eva17

Brilliant_Rock
yes, i was hoping for the same recipe harriet!!!!

Jas12

Ideal_Rock
Thanks Cdt!!

Eva17

Brilliant_Rock
http://www.countryliving.com/recipefinder/pumpkin-cream-cheese-frosting-4014

here is a cream cheese pumpkin spice frosting. (i haven''t tried it yet)

Jas12

Ideal_Rock
Eva--great! That is pretty much what i was going to try--good to know it works. I was afraid the puree would do something funky to the cheese-- didn''t think about adding orange zest. That sounds yum.

i''ll let u know how it turns out and post a pic

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
Harriet and Eva, if you do a search for "Nutella cake" you'll find the recipe I made up for Gwen. It's in the LIW board--lol!!!

The only problem with that recipe that cdt posted for the Nutella cupcakes is that the blogger doesn't use Nutella in the cake itself. It only has cocoa powder and Frangelico.

Oh heck, I'll go find the Nutella cake recipe...It calls for a full jar (the 300+gram one) of Nutella, and it's very dense-I'm not sure how many cuppies it will make, but I'm sure it won't make 24. The entire process is in there if you're curious...

Nutella cake thread

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
This is the half recipe I used. I'll post the full one below it.

Nutella Cake

1 cup flour
.5 tsp salt + pinch
5/8 tsp baking powder
1/4 cup ground hazelnuts
1/2 cup sugar
3 T butter
1 large egg + 1 egg yolk
1 T Frangelico
1/2 jar Nutella (1/2 of the 371g jar)
1/4 cup half and half
1/4 cup heavy cream (ran out of 1/2 and 1/2)

Preheat oven to 350* F.

1. Sift or mix together with a fork the first three ingredients. Add hazelnuts and mix well again.
2. Cream together sugar and butter until lightened and fluffier.
3. Beat slightly the egg and Frangelico.
4. Heat Nutella for about 20-40 seconds in 20 second increments, in the microwave.
5. Add egg mixture to butter, mix until incorporated.
6. Stir nutella and to make sure its the same temperature throughout. Stir into the egg/butter mixture.
7. Add flour in 3 parts alternating with adding milk in 2 parts in between the flour additions.
8. Put batter into greased/floured 8" or 9" pan (2 pans for twice the recipe) or cupcake tins. Bake cuppies for around 15-20 minutes and cakes for around 40 minutes.

***Note: You can substitute all 1/2 and 1/2 for the heavy cream if you like, or even whole milk, to cut down on the fat a little bit but I wouldn't suggest skim, 1% or 2% because it's supposed to be rich.

2 cups flour
1 tsp salt + pinch
1 1/4 tsp baking powder
1/2 cup ground hazelnuts
1 cup sugar
6 T butter
2 large egg + 2 egg yolk
2 T Frangelico
1 jar Nutella (371g jar)
1/2 cup half and half
1/2 cup heavy cream (ran out of 1/2 and 1/2)

I don't have a frosting recipe for this, but I'd use the Nutella recipe from that blog, or if you want I can make up one. I would still like to experiment with this recipe a bit. I'm still waiting to use the remnants from the first two screwups for rum balls for Christmas.

Eva17

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 10/12/2008 2:08:29 AM
Author: FrekeChild
Harriet and Eva, if you do a search for ''Nutella cake'' you''ll find the recipe I made up for Gwen. It''s in the LIW board--lol!!!

The only problem with that recipe that cdt posted for the Nutella cupcakes is that the blogger doesn''t use Nutella in the cake itself. It only has cocoa powder and Frangelico.

Oh heck, I''ll go find the Nutella cake recipe...It calls for a full jar (the 300+gram one) of Nutella, and it''s very dense-I''m not sure how many cuppies it will make, but I''m sure it won''t make 24. The entire process is in there if you''re curious...

Nutella cake thread

thanks freke - on a dark rainy day, i will try my hand at this recipe. (i love to cook and bake when it''s a stay in rainy day)

i''ll keep u posted.

Harriet

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 10/10/2008 12:03:19 AM
Author: Eva17
yes, i was hoping for the same recipe harriet!!!!
Good, ''cos you''re the one who will be making them.
9.gif
Your lemon cupcake with cream cheese frosting may be my favourite one.

Thanks, Cdt and Freke.

MishB

Brilliant_Rock
Hi, I''m new to this thread but crazy about cupcakes, I''d like to share a few photos of mine:

Lemon and Raspberry frosted

lrcupcake.jpg

MishB

Brilliant_Rock
Cupcakes on a stand at afternoon tea:

These are vanilla and rosewater I think.

cupcaketier.jpg

MishB

Brilliant_Rock
Butterflies with fresh cream and strawberries:

cupcakebflies.jpg

MishB

Brilliant_Rock
A pink cupcake posing with a vintage Noritake tea set I''ve just bought. The flower is handmade from my new silicone mold, very happy with it, I love making flowers.

cupcakespnk.jpg

msb700

Brilliant_Rock
MishB: ur cuppies look amazing!!!

Linda W

Super_Ideal_Rock
MishB, Your cuppies look beautiful and also delicious. You did a wonderful job
36.gif
. Your table also looks so beautiful and I love your Noritake.

MishB

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 10/14/2008 1:58:57 PM
Author: SanDiegoLady
MishB, they''re beautiful. Love the tea table and what in heaven''s name is that with coconut on the top of the server?

Thank you all! The coconut things are mini white chocolate lamingtons. Do you know what a lamington is? It''s an Australian thing, sponge cake dipped in chocolate then rolled in coconut. This variety is a type of petit four, smaller than the regular lamington, dipped in white chocolate and rolled in coconut. They are delicious.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results