shape
carat
color
clarity

Im confused with all the different `advice` or sales pitches that I have been given!!!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Sharon101

Brilliant_Rock
Hi guys, as you might know from old posts, Im going to have my 4 c. princess reset into a more delicate setting.

I have been to 4 master jewellers who all seem to have very nice stock, high standards & most importantly.....good quality diamonds that are cut well.

But, no one has anything for me to try on to get a feel for how the end result will look. Im a bit nervous to get my ring reset and find out too late that it is sitting too high, or the proportions look wrong etc etc.

I am also getting many different truths!!!!!

One jeweller tells me that I cant have the diamond directly on an eternity band because my diamond is too heavy and it will have a tendancy to flip to the side. ie have shoulders !!! Another jeweller tells me its no problem to have this setting???

One tells me that if I have a shared prong eb, the er will eat the prongs on the eb but who cares as you get sick of rings anyway after 5 years!!!!!!!. Another tells me that the eb will eat the prongs on the er and to not have shared prong at all.

One jeweller tells me that I should have 2 pointers on the er and eb to keep it totally delicate. Another tells me that this is way too thin to hold my diamond and to look good next to my diamond. This other jeweller tells me to have 5 pointers in the er and 9 pointers next to my stone.

Then there is the issue of me knowing that I have no design skills to tell them what to do. eg tapered shank, knife edge, flat........and I dont know a thing about how an eb sits next to the er!!!!

Anyway, sorry for the rant. Ive tried to look at as many pictures here as possible, but nothing beats trying on irl!!!!!!

And I really cant afford to make a mistake this time......so I am not rushing.

ps. my pictures are in past posts and I dont know how to transfer them.

luvmyhalo

Brilliant_Rock
Can you post some pictures or links to some similar styles you are thinking of? Maybe we can help you better that way!

Tacori E-ring

Super_Ideal_Rock
I am sorry you are so frustrated. What do YOU want? I do agree, most share prongs do eat each other and I would not go to the jeweler who thinks everyone just changes their settings every 5 years anyways! Doesn''t sounds like (s)he is very understanding or caring. Have you seen pictures of settings you like? I bet someone on here would draw something up for you.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Do you mean er and wb? I was confused by er and eb. But yes, they do sometimes rub each other and cause chips. I would probably get Memoire because those generally do not have problems. I would say that a 4 ct. princess set on a thin band probably will be a bit top heavy. But, that is a fairly nice problem to have!

Do a search on this site and you'll see a few Memoire rings. There are more wb's than er's, but you should find some on here.

I'd personally want both bands to have the same size stones.

arjunajane

Ideal_Rock
Date: 9/27/2008 11:50:19 PM
Author: diamondseeker2006
Do you mean er and wb? I was confused by er and eb. But yes, they do sometimes rub each other and cause chips. I would probably get Memoire because those generally do not have problems. I would say that a 4 ct. princess set on a thin band probably will be a bit top heavy. But, that is a fairly nice problem to have!

Do a search on this site and you''ll see a few Memoire rings. There are more wb''s than er''s, but you should find some on here.

I''d personally want both bands to have the same size stones.
Me too DS, I think it means eternity band? Would love you to clarify Sharon!

Are you open to buying from the US/online?

Sharon101

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 9/27/2008 5:36:19 PM
Author: luvmyhalo
Can you post some pictures or links to some similar styles you are thinking of? Maybe we can help you better that way!
Dear Luvmyhalo, Im going to bump an old thread to show my pictures. I have zero skills in getting photos to computer! But thanks for responding because I know how hard it is to talk without pics!!!!

Sharon101

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 9/27/2008 5:56:42 PM
Author: Tacori E-ring
I am sorry you are so frustrated. What do YOU want? I do agree, most share prongs do eat each other and I would not go to the jeweler who thinks everyone just changes their settings every 5 years anyways! Doesn''t sounds like (s)he is very understanding or caring. Have you seen pictures of settings you like? I bet someone on here would draw something up for you.
Tacori, you are so right about being frustrated. Never mind the prongs eatting each other up as I think Im eatting myself!!!! I just cant get perspective on this. I have a real love hate relationship with my princess. I am probably eliminating this jeweller who said it doesnt matter, as she was one tough cookie that I feel I couldnt reason with if something went wrong later. Her stock was superb with dainty settings holding the diamonds with a no metal look anywhere. This is the look I love, but it may not be hard wearing or practicle. She was pushing to have 2 thin eternity bands with 2 pointers.

Sharon101

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 9/27/2008 8:37:07 PM
Author: Mrs W
sounds very frustrating, do you want a shared prong set? And when you say delicate setting do you mean a thin band or just less of a ring(no halo)? I don''t know if this will appeal to you but i think this setting is so classy and showcases a princess rather well http://www.whiteflash.com/Engagement-Rings/Styles/Solitaire/-W-Prong--for-Princess-by-WF_742.htm
Yes, that is a very pretty design. Im leaning towards this type of setting, but with diamonds on the sides.....and no halo. But today one of the jewellers suggested that I leave my princess in its elaberate setting as a dress ring on my right hand and reset the round brilliant that I have. The round is 1.3 carats and is a much better quality stone. This shop is the first to tell me not to bother resetting my princess as it will never be sparkly enough to warrant the cost of the reset.
7.gif

But they only told me this `honest` piece of info when they were sure that they still had a viable project from me!!!
29.gif
Up till now they were very enthusiastic about the end result.
33.gif

Sharon101

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 9/27/2008 11:50:19 PM
Author: diamondseeker2006

Do a search on this site and you'll see a few Memoire rings. There are more wb's than er's, but you should find some on here.

I'd personally want both bands to have the same size stones.
Diamondseeker, you have such a lovely set, and I appreciate your opinion. As I said Im going to bump an old post with my photos. With the letters I meant er - engagement ring and eb - etenity band!!!! I knew it would cause confusion but I was so tired when I wrote the post!!!!

I was under the impression that the eternity band ate through the prongs of the engagement ring, mainly due to the diamonds in the eternity band doing the cutting. But the lady I was dealing with told me that it was the tiny prongs on the etenity band that got eatten up. She said it didnt matter because you just get it checked twice a year and enjoy it while it lasts!!!!!

We dont have the Memoire rings here in Aust. Plus, even an eternity band with just 2 pointers can cost over $3000!!!! Its crazy expensive here which also makes a mistake more painful!!!!!

ETA that I cant bump my old post as its too old!!!!!

MMMD

Shiny_Rock
Hi Sharon. I reread your old posts regarding this diamond. I think you are being very smart taking your time to reset this stone.

My DH upgraded my stone and I went for a .75 pear to a 2.00 round. Everyone complimented it. Everyone loved it. DH was so proud. Long story short, I reset it 4 times in 5 years trying to like it. It just wasn''t me. Then I didn''t wear it. DH was nice and let me exchange it for a 2.00 emerald cut in a tacori setting that is me. I haven''t taken my set off for a year except to clean it.

I don''t want to insult you in any way but I''m afraid this princess, a very generous gift from your husband, might not be the stone for you. But only you can decide that.

Since you asked for suggestions, this is mine. Set the princess in a sturdy solitaire setting. Then pair it with an eternity band of princess cut diamonds. I would pick a 3.5 carat eternity.

Good luck!

Sharon101

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 9/29/2008 5:48:01 AM
Author: MMMD
Hi Sharon. I reread your old posts regarding this diamond. I think you are being very smart taking your time to reset this stone.

My DH upgraded my stone and I went for a .75 pear to a 2.00 round. Everyone complimented it. Everyone loved it. DH was so proud. Long story short, I reset it 4 times in 5 years trying to like it. It just wasn''t me. Then I didn''t wear it. DH was nice and let me exchange it for a 2.00 emerald cut in a tacori setting that is me. I haven''t taken my set off for a year except to clean it.

I don''t want to insult you in any way but I''m afraid this princess, a very generous gift from your husband, might not be the stone for you. But only you can decide that.

Since you asked for suggestions, this is mine. Set the princess in a sturdy solitaire setting. Then pair it with an eternity band of princess cut diamonds. I would pick a 3.5 carat eternity.

Good luck!
Hi Mary, you are most probably right about the stone not being 100% to my taste. And you are correct that it was a very generous gift. Im constantly wondering if Im insane because I truely get complimented all the time on this ring. People use words like `magnificent` and `amazing` etc.

But, the seed of doubt is in my mind all the time and it torments me no end. I try to wonder would I want it more/ love it more if it was something I saw on someone else!!!

ATM my husband is not interested in hearing one word against it and says that I am totally mad.

My delemour now is what to do with my situation. My choices range from not wearing the princess at all to wearing it as a rhr or whether I should sink more money into resetting it which many say is the solution as the current setting is very fancy and heavy. The costs involved are roughly $3000 plus for a very simple setting with tiny side stones in white gold. An eternity band starts from about $3000 for a band with 2 pointers (very small for the money hey?).

So `if` Im spending that much money will it be a happy ending to give the pincess the best chance she has of being beautiful......or should I spend this on my small(er) round which is definately good quality??? Will it look much better in a setting I know I love?

The jeweller today said my princess is a waste of time to reset as it will never sparkle (which really made me sad even though I acted as if I could take it with a grain of salt). Todays jeweller were ademant to have my 1.3 carat round as the stone to be reset and worn with the eternity band. The 1.3 round is in a very old setting btw. but I had envisioned it taking second place as a rhr.

I think my stuffup is that `if` I can reset my 1.3 round into such a pretty new setting with etenity band then the princess was a real waste of money as I didnt need it.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results