shape
carat
color
clarity

Should i be worried?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

debzy103

Shiny_Rock
I''m still waiting on my ring, but I know what my bf ordered for me. I never thought about the pave stones falling out, but I keep hearing stories about it. I''ll be receiving a platinum setting with about 18 pave set stones throughout. It''s being designed and made by Beaudry, so I know the quality will be very high. Should I be worried about losing stones, though?

Eva17

Brilliant_Rock
try not to worry about it. it will take away from the enjoyment of wearing your ring.

if and when it happens, then you deal with it. but till then, why worry about it!

just wanted to add: i clean mine in ultrasonic regularly, but i hang it from paperclips. i don't let it bang around the bottom.

js_diamond

Shiny_Rock
When I was considering pave, my jeweler told me she''d replace any stones that may fall out for free. Maybe your bf can work that out w/the jewlerer and that''s reassuring. She also told me to have pave set in platinium and it''s less likely they will fall out.

Mediterranean

Brilliant_Rock
Hey Debzy!

I don''t know if "worried" is the right frame of mind...maybe "vigilant" is better? Or "cautious?"

I definitely think that you''re heading off problems at the pass by choosing a vendor whose settings and workmanship have a reputation for their high quality.

That said, there are always things you can do to keep your setting safe. If it were my ring, I''d probably avoid ultrasonic cleaning machines and opt for hand-cleaning it with a baby-toothbrush. Also, I''d probably take it off and leave it in its box while I''m at home (I do that anyway, and I don''t even have a pave style setting, it just keeps things looking newer for longer).

Whenever you put it on or clean it, you can make a habit of inspecting it for loose prongs or missing stones. If, heavens forbid, you do lose a stone, you''re more likely to find it if you check regularly (because it should be close by if, say, it was in the prongs before you put it in the box, but not when you lifted it out--reason dictates that stone is still in your house...). Also, checking the prongs regularly will alert you to loose prongs earlier, and you can have the issue addressed before you lose a stone.

Check it thoroughly if it sustains a hard knock or a blow (against a door or a wall, for example), and don''t leave the general area until you''re sure all your stones are still in place.

And, naturally, make sure the piece is insured and that you know where the insurance documents are in case it ever does need repair...

Congratulations on your engagement!! Your ring must be a total stunner, that designer does some really beautiful work!

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Adding to Med''s post, make sure the drain is tightly closed in the sink when you clean it, and be sure to dry and check for any missing stones before you open the drain again. If one should come out in cleaning, you''ll be able to retrieve it easily.

But do enjoy it, I''m sure it''s going to be beautiful!

bootsiekin

Shiny_Rock
When I got the insurance for mine I was told it covered any damage, including lost stones, so I think if you had it insured you should be covered. Though I also agree with checking it everyday, etc. and taking it off for doing certain activities.

Cleopatra

Brilliant_Rock
I have a pave engagement ring (with 16 paves stones) and two matching pave bands (each with 18 pave stones). (I also have insurance and my jeweler has guaranteed to replace any stones that fall out) - I wear all three rings all day every day - I also clean them in an ultrasonic at least 3 times a week - and no stone has fallen out, nor does it appear that any may come loose.

Now, i''m not saying that I will never have a missing stone, but I''m certain that I got a high quality ring and my jeweler''s guarantee is very calming to my nerves!

I wouldn''t let the "what ifs" worry you - even a plain solitaire can break a prong or something along that line. There are risks of damage in whatever jewelry you buy - that''s why insurance and a good jeweler is so important!

debzy103

Shiny_Rock
Thanks for all the advice! I feel much better now. I know I''m not the most careful person, but I also know that I am not the most clumsy either. I''m sure once I have the ring on my finger I''ll be super careful. Plus, it''s definitely insured, and high-quality, so I''m doing everything right.

Thanks again everyone!

Tuckins1

Ideal_Rock
I have a pave e-ring, and I have I have never lost a stone (yet) and I am pretty rough with my hands.

neatfreak

Super_Ideal_Rock
It''s a part of owning a pave ring. No matter how well made, it''s a matte of WHEN not IF, IMO. But somehow knowing that makes me feel better about it.
1.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results