shape
carat
color
clarity

Two Cushions - What accounts for the price difference?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

sillysweetie

Rough_Rock
I just run a search at ERD (one of my favourite pastime
2.gif
)and found two cushions that have almost the same specs (carat size, colour, clarity, polish and symmetry):

Cushion 1:
2.04ct, G VS2
7.94x7.18x4.99 (ratio: 1.11)
T: 58%, D:69.5%
Polish: EX, Symmetry: VG

Cushion 2:
2.04, G VS2
8.08x7.13x4.79 (ratio: 1.13)
T: 54%, D: 67.2%

I''m surprised that there''s a price difference of $1000 between the two stones. What would possibly account for such price difference? And by looking at the specs alone, which do you think would be the more expensive one?
21.gif

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Both GIA graded?

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
There could be various reasons, cut quality, spread, fluorescence etc etc, hard to say for sure without having more info.

sillysweetie

Rough_Rock
These are the information I can get. They are both graded as Premium Cut by ERD.

Cushion 1: Cushion Brilliant
2.04ct, G VS2
7.94x7.18x4.99 (ratio: 1.11)
Table: 58%, Depth:69.5%
Girdle: Medium to Very Thick, Faceted
Culet: None
Fluor: No

Cushion 2: Cushion Modified Brilliant
2.04, G VS2
8.08x7.13x4.79 (ratio: 1.13)
Table: 54%, Depth: 67.2%
Girdle: Medium to Thick, Faceted
Culet: None
Fluor: No

edl

Shiny_Rock
I think it''s tough to "value" cushions based on specs alone. Do you have pictures?

sillysweetie

Rough_Rock
Date: 9/22/2008 11:37:58 AM
Author: edl
I think it''s tough to ''value'' cushions based on specs alone. Do you have pictures?

No, the "standard specs" are all that I got (just pulled from ERD''s website). I''m just surprised at the price difference as they have "the same" (not exactly the same, I know) specs at first glance. It made me wonder how we could possibly judge whether we are paying a fair price for a particular stone. Is it just the case of cushion?
33.gif

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
they are difference types of cushions and just like asschers 2 with identical numbers can look totally different and have a different price.

CharmyPoo

Ideal_Rock
Cushion 2 is a modified brillant. They usually go for cheaper because they account for 90% of the cushions out there.

moremoremore

Ideal_Rock
my cushion is a modern cushion....and it was definitely more expensive than a standard cut...

also, some manufacturers just might be more expensive than others...

LostieLovesBling

Shiny_Rock
My guess is that the more expensive stone just looks prettier.
Cushion shapes seems to be all over the place!

mystiqkal

Shiny_Rock
my guess is that the more expensive one is the cushion brilliant. What do the plots look like? Cushion brilliants are alot harder to find and it seems like they are also higher in demand...so its supply and demand basically...they charge more because then can...=/

sillysweetie

Rough_Rock
Date: 9/22/2008 3:26:56 PM
Author: MsMisty
my guess is that the more expensive one is the cushion brilliant. What do the plots look like? Cushion brilliants are alot harder to find and it seems like they are also higher in demand...so its supply and demand basically...they charge more because then can...=/
I don''t have the plots of the two cushions. Like some of you, I would have guessed the cushion brilliant costs more because of rarity. But the modified one actually costs $1000 more than the brilliant.

stone_seeker

Shiny_Rock
I guess the owner of stone #2 just wants $1K more. Thats good since most folks on here prefer stone #1 - so much for supply & demand and Econ 101. :)

The pricing of the dozens of cushion I saw never made much sense to me. Some of it may have to do with what each vendor wants as a % of Rap prices, etc. Some stones that were clearly inferior to others were way overpriced. I guess they figure they will charge whatever they can get. ERD usually tacks on 5% to what the owner is asking for so there is some wiggle room.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results