shape
carat
color
clarity

There''s a squirrel peeing on my doormat !

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
lol.gif

Seriously. I noticed a few weeks ago that my front doormat looked wet, but not all over. I couldn''t figure out what would have caused this, as it''s under an enclosed stoop. I just kind of stared at it and did this ---->
scratchhead.gif
But, went on about my business and never mentioned it.

Yesterday my son came in the front door and said there was a squirrel sitting on the doormat. They had a bit of a stare down, my son finally moved toward the door and the squirrel ran off. But he said the doormat was wet, he thought it peed on it. I just laughed, like yeah right. Then hubby tells me, Oh yeah, that squirrels been sitting/peeing on the doormat, I see him when I go out the side door in the morning to get the paper. All I could think was, and you failed to mention this because.....

So, my questions are, WHY would a squirrel do this? We''ve lived here 21 years, never had a problem like this. lol And more importantly, just how does one go about getting a squirrel to stop using your front stoop as a urinal?
hmmm.gif

Will changing the doormat be enough? Those things aren''t cheap, I don''t want to ruin another one, and I don''t want a rubber one.

iheartscience

Super_Ideal_Rock
That''s hilarious! I have never heard of a squirrel doing something like that! Strange. No helpful hints here, though...good luck!

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 9/13/2008 9:04:57 AM
Author: thing2of2
That''s hilarious! I have never heard of a squirrel doing something like that! Strange. No helpful hints here, though...good luck!
Really? And here I thought I''d get a ton of suggestions.
lol.gif
2.gif

LostSapphire

Ideal_Rock
We had a chipmunk last year doing that at the patio door from the kitchen: he''d pee in full view of people sitting just on the other side of the glass....

I took up the mat and scrubbed the deck underneath. Then we had winter (Canuck-Land). I put the mat back down this spring and he hasn''t done it since.

I think regularly letting the dogs out every time I saw him there kind of scared him off too!

Doubt this helps at all but thought you might feel better knowing you''re not the only one blessed with peeing rodentia!

LS

funtobewith

Rough_Rock
You could buy a new one and see if that works.
Or maybe Natures Miracle works for rodents as well????

We hand raised a squirrel a while back and he decided his place of choice to go was on the centerpiece in the middle of the kitchen table.
Needless to say, then it was his turn to go.
We released him on a guy''s property who fed his squirrels, so we are pretty sure Scooter was ok.

iheartscience

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 9/13/2008 9:21:54 AM
Author: Ellen

lol.gif
2.gif

25.gif

gemgirl

Ideal_Rock
Premium

lol.gif
2.gif

Ellen, this is a tough one because in spite of your best efforts? They still might recognize the spot they "marked".

When we changed our family room rug four years ago, we wanted the opportunity to get rid of any old dog pee spots that may have remained on the tile floor underneath, despite how many times I had shampooed that old rug within an inch of it''s life. We asked for a couple of days between the guys coming to pull up the old rug and installing the new one. During that time, my husband washed the entire tile floor with Clorox and water FOUR times. We figured we had gotten rid of any tell tale scent. The new rug went down and we didn''t have a problem for a while until we left my older dog downstairs for a little too long while we were out. Don''t you know she peed in the very same spot? How? I have no idea??

The only thing I can suggest, is throwing out your old doormat and having your hubby scrub your stoop at least a couple of times with soap, Clorox and water. Then spray it with Lysol, not only to kill any remaining bacteria, but to try to change the scent even more. Do without a doormat for a short while to see if he comes back. When you know you''re in the clear, buy a new doormat.

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 9/13/2008 9:26:33 AM
Author: LostSapphire
We had a chipmunk last year doing that at the patio door from the kitchen: he''d pee in full view of people sitting just on the other side of the glass....

I took up the mat and scrubbed the deck underneath. Then we had winter (Canuck-Land). I put the mat back down this spring and he hasn''t done it since.

I think regularly letting the dogs out every time I saw him there kind of scared him off too!

Doubt this helps at all but thought you might feel better knowing you''re not the only one blessed with peeing rodentia!

LS
Get out! Ok, I guess I feel slightly better.
9.gif
Weirdo rodentia.

I don''t have a dog, and this stoop gets slicker than youknowwhat with condensation, so I have to have something. Maybe I''ll try it with an old rag towel.
eyebrowraise.gif
I''ve thought about just randomly opening the front door all day long trying to scare it away, but with my luck the dang thing would run IN my house.
yikes2.gif

*brings to mind scenes from Chevy Chase Christmas Vacation*
9.gif

funtobewith, what is Natures Miracle? And a pet squirrel would be, interesting.... I''m sure he''s very happy in his new home!

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 9/13/2008 9:37:00 AM
Author: gemgirl

Ellen, this is a tough one because in spite of your best efforts? They still might recognize the spot they ''marked''.

When we changed our family room rug four years ago, we wanted the opportunity to get rid of any old dog pee spots that may have remained on the tile floor underneath, despite how many times I had shampooed that old rug within an inch of it''s life. We asked for a couple of days between the guys coming to pull up the old rug and installing the new one. During that time, my husband washed the entire tile floor with Clorox and water FOUR times. We figured we had gotten rid of any tell tale scent. The new rug went down and we didn''t have a problem for a while until we left my older dog downstairs for a little too long while we were out. Don''t you know she peed in the very same spot? How? I have no idea??

The only thing I can suggest, is throwing out your old doormat and having your hubby scrub your stoop at least a couple of times with soap, Clorox and water. Then spray it with Lysol, not only to kill any remaining bacteria, but to try to change the scent even more. Do without a doormat for a short while to see if he comes back. When you know you''re in the clear, buy a new doormat.
Thanks gemgirl, I''ll try that! And yeah, animules have amazing noses!

Irishgrrrl

Ideal_Rock
Premium
BWAAAAAhahahahahahaha!!!!!
rotflmao2.gif

Ellen, I'm laughing WITH you and not AT you, I promise! LOL!
3.gif
9.gif

Oddly enough, I don't believe DH and I have ever experienced this particular problem before.
2.gif

But I do have an idea: I know you said you didn't want to replace your doormat with a rubber one, but . . . our local Lowe's carries some GORGEOUS rubber doormats. They look like wrought iron and they don't look like they would be very attractive to rodents with full bladders. DH and I keep seeing them every time we go to Lowe's and we're seriously thinking about getting one since our old doormat is in need of replacement. I tried to find them on the Lowe's website and, of course, they aren't listed there, but they look similar to this one: http://www.kikisklozet.com/storefrontprofiles/processfeed.aspx?sfid=58522&i=157487276&mpid=1922&dfid=1

I can sympathize with your squirrel-peeing issue, though. One of the neighborhood cats (he lives two doors down from us) loves to use our front flower bed as his own personal potty. He POOPS in there!!!
29.gif

He's so funny . . . DH will be walking out the front door in the morning to go to work, and Woodrow (the cat) will be squatting in our flower bed, looking at DH with this "Ha! I'm pooping in your flower bed!" look on his face!
25.gif

ETA: Yanno, this sounds like one of those weird and malicious ancient curses: "May a squirrel pee on your doormat!" LOL!
Evil_smile.gif

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
hehe23.gif

Catmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have one word for you...........EWWWWWW!
25.gif

Seriously, replace the doormat and make sure you scrub down the area with an enzyme cleaner like Nature''s Miracle. Let it sit there for awhile so that it soaks in. Even if you use bleach etc., animals can still smell the pee. An enzyme cleaner is the only thing that will get rid of the smell.

LostSapphire

Ideal_Rock
SOMEBODY out there must have an emotie for this thread???
31.gif

LS

Haven

Super_Ideal_Rock
This is the funniest thing I read all week! (Sorry, Ellen.)

We have a lot of animals, and when they make a mistake and pee on something in the house we wash it with a water & vinegar solution (half and half) to permanently get the smell out so it doesn''t smell marked anymore. It really works.

We had tried all of the cleaners on the market before we started using the white vinegar, and the vinegar works best.

Good luck! (But can you take a picture of the furry criminal and post it before you rid yourself of him? I just think it must be the funniest scene ever.)
9.gif

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 9/13/2008 9:58:12 AM
Author: Irishgrrrl
rotflmao2.gif

Ellen, I''m laughing WITH you and not AT you, I promise! LOL!
3.gif
9.gif

Oddly enough, I don''t believe DH and I have ever experienced this particular problem before.
2.gif

But I do have an idea: I know you said you didn''t want to replace your doormat with a rubber one, but . . . our local Lowe''s carries some GORGEOUS rubber doormats. They look like wrought iron and they don''t look like they would be very attractive to rodents with full bladders. DH and I keep seeing them every time we go to Lowe''s and we''re seriously thinking about getting one since our old doormat is in need of replacement. I tried to find them on the Lowe''s website and, of course, they aren''t listed there, but they look similar to this one: http://www.kikisklozet.com/storefrontprofiles/processfeed.aspx?sfid=58522&i=157487276&mpid=1922&dfid=1

I can sympathize with your squirrel-peeing issue, though. One of the neighborhood cats (he lives two doors down from us) loves to use our front flower bed as his own personal potty. He POOPS in there!!!
29.gif

He''s so funny . . . DH will be walking out the front door in the morning to go to work, and Woodrow (the cat) will be squatting in our flower bed, looking at DH with this ''Ha! I''m pooping in your flower bed!'' look on his face!
25.gif

ETA: Yanno, this sounds like one of those weird and malicious ancient curses: ''May a squirrel pee on your doormat!'' LOL!
Evil_smile.gif
lol.gif
It does!
9.gif

The thing about the rubber mat is, I have a real oriental rug just inside in the entrance foyer. I have a fake one over it in a much smaller size for feet, but I have dirty boys coming in and out of that door, that don''t always wipe like they should.
11.gif
So I really want that first order of defense outside....They are pretty though, I agree!

And I am wondering if cats killed my 2 smaller potted flower plants on my patio. We have several running around here.
20.gif

Lorelei, your rabbit put him up to it, didn''t it??!
9.gif

Steel

Ideal_Rock

lol.gif
2.gif
Move. Clearly that squirrel has got it in for your doormat. It could be pee today, rotten eggs tomorrow and graffiti next week. Not good news I am afraid. I have seen it before, on neighbourhoods from hell - squirrels, they are a bad sort.

On the plus side he must dislike somebody else more than you - you only get his No 1''s. I feel for the folks who have a squirrel squatting reading the financial times on their porch while he does his No 2''s - they have real problems.
9.gif

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 9/13/2008 10:22:41 AM

Date: 9/13/2008 9:58:12 AM
Author: Irishgrrrl
rotflmao2.gif

Ellen, I''m laughing WITH you and not AT you, I promise! LOL!
3.gif
9.gif

Oddly enough, I don''t believe DH and I have ever experienced this particular problem before.
2.gif

But I do have an idea: I know you said you didn''t want to replace your doormat with a rubber one, but . . . our local Lowe''s carries some GORGEOUS rubber doormats. They look like wrought iron and they don''t look like they would be very attractive to rodents with full bladders. DH and I keep seeing them every time we go to Lowe''s and we''re seriously thinking about getting one since our old doormat is in need of replacement. I tried to find them on the Lowe''s website and, of course, they aren''t listed there, but they look similar to this one: http://www.kikisklozet.com/storefrontprofiles/processfeed.aspx?sfid=58522&i=157487276&mpid=1922&dfid=1

29.gif

He''s so funny . . . DH will be walking out the front door in the morning to go to work, and Woodrow (the cat) will be squatting in our flower bed, looking at DH with this ''Ha! I''m pooping in your flower bed!'' look on his face!
25.gif

ETA: Yanno, this sounds like one of those weird and malicious ancient curses: ''May a squirrel pee on your doormat!'' LOL!
Evil_smile.gif
lol.gif
It does!
9.gif

The thing about the rubber mat is, I have a real oriental rug just inside in the entrance foyer. I have a fake one over it in a much smaller size for feet, but I have dirty boys coming in and out of that door, that don''t always wipe like they should.
11.gif
So I really want that first order of defense outside....They are pretty though, I agree!

And I am wondering if cats killed my 2 smaller potted flower plants on my patio. We have several running around here.
20.gif

Lorelei, your rabbit put him up to it, didn''t it??!
9.gif
creepaway3.gif

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 9/13/2008 10:20:52 AM
Author: Haven
This is the funniest thing I read all week! (Sorry, Ellen.)

We have a lot of animals, and when they make a mistake and pee on something in the house we wash it with a water & vinegar solution (half and half) to permanently get the smell out so it doesn't smell marked anymore. It really works.

We had tried all of the cleaners on the market before we started using the white vinegar, and the vinegar works best.

Good luck! (But can you take a picture of the furry criminal and post it before you rid yourself of him? I just think it must be the funniest scene ever.)
9.gif
Oh sure Haven. I don't mind camping out with a camera in the front yard waiting for some rodent to pee on my stoop.
lol.gif
Actually, I'll see if I can get one, it WOULD be funny.
25.gif
And thanks about the vinegar and water.
2.gif

Michelle, thanks. And yes, ew.
40.gif

Ls, seriously, I was thinking the same thing!
9.gif

Steel, omg, your post was hysterical!
lol.gif

LostSapphire

Ideal_Rock
Date: 9/13/2008 10:23:19 AM
Author: Steel

On the plus side he must dislike somebody else more than you - you only get his No 1's. I feel for the folks who have a squirrel squatting reading the financial times on their porch while he does his No 2's - they have real problems.
9.gif
OMG I wasn't even going to post this, but here goes:

I have a bat that likes to live up in the top of my patio umbrella. He poops all over the table. EW

LS

...this thread is quickly going downhilll..........FAST!

OK I'm off on a hunt for pics of peeing wildlife...gimme a minute

ETA: here's a link for you Ellen: http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20080606131519AAQpef6
31.gif

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 9/13/2008 9:42:47 AM

Date: 9/13/2008 9:26:33 AM
Author: LostSapphire

LS
Get out! Ok, I guess I feel slightly better.
9.gif
Weirdo rodentia.

I don''t have a dog, and this stoop gets slicker than youknowwhat with condensation, so I have to have something. Maybe I''ll try it with an old rag towel.
eyebrowraise.gif
I''ve thought about just randomly opening the front door all day long trying to scare it away, but with my luck the dang thing would run IN my house.
yikes2.gif

*brings to mind scenes from Chevy Chase Christmas Vacation*
9.gif

funtobewith, what is Natures Miracle? And a pet squirrel would be, interesting.... I''m sure he''s very happy in his new home!
One of the funniest movies ever and the squirrel scene makes me laugh so hard it hurts!

I''m guessing this ''act'' means something to this little guy but can''t imagine what! Could just be that once he chose that spot he just comes back to reapply everyday. Maybe a veterinarian office would have some advice for you in terms of ridding the smell so he won''t continue.

I have a big beech tree in my back yard. There are two squirrels (don''t ask me how I know they are the same two!) that play in that tree everyday. Now there are nuts on the tree and when you walk out back, it sounds like a hailstorm hitting the deck. They are so busy eating and burying nuts. I watch them - they watch me - somehow we''re pals! Guess you make friends with nature when your kids are grown and gone - ha!

LostSapphire

Ideal_Rock
It''s amazing what you get when you Google: "squirrel + pee"

LS

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HI:

OH for goodness sakes Ellen, it is obvious he cannot reach the door nob to get in and use the toilet. How about building a dog chute?
25.gif

cheers--Sharon
17.gif

iluvcarats

Ideal_Rock
We have a lot of squirrel issues too.
We have flying (no joke!) squirrels and just regular squirrels getting in to the house.
You have to catch that on in a "have a heart trap", and then let it go 10 to 15 miles away, otherwise it will find its way back.

arjunajane

Ideal_Rock
Date: 9/13/2008 10:23:19 AM
Author: Steel

That's hilarious! I have never heard of a squirrel doing something like that! Strange. No helpful hints here, though...good luck!
Really? And here I thought I'd get a ton of suggestions.
lol.gif
2.gif
Move. Clearly that squirrel has got it in for your doormat. It could be pee today, rotten eggs tomorrow and graffiti next week. Not good news I am afraid. I have seen it before, on neighbourhoods from hell - squirrels, they are a bad sort.

On the plus side he must dislike somebody else more than you - you only get his No 1's. I feel for the folks who have a squirrel squatting reading the financial times on their porch while he does his No 2's - they have real problems.
9.gif
OMG, this thread is HILARIOUS, and Steel your post was Classic!
Sorry Ellen, no advice here , I don't think I've ever even seen a squirrel IRL - come back when you need advice about 'roos (just j/k
11.gif
)..

purrfectpear

Ideal_Rock
Obviously I''m just weird. I think the squirrel is kinda cute. I''d be leaving him treats to tame him. What''s a little urine among friends?

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 9/13/2008 12:19:44 PM
Author: purrfectpear
Obviously I''m just weird. I think the squirrel is kinda cute. I''d be leaving him treats to tame him. What''s a little urine among friends?
I would too, they are adorable little blighters!
9.gif

coatimundi_org

Ideal_Rock
haHAAA! Ellen, that is CRAZY!

There is a fat squirrel ("Fatty") in our backyard--he's as big as a CAT I swear!(ok, small cat) He's marked our yard as his--anyway, he chewed up ALL of our patio seat cushions and turned them into nest material. He's a JERK!(but we love him anyway!) Once he started chewing, we just let him continue, because we thought it was so crazy and hilarious--he would do it right in front of us! We have subsequently bought new cushions--and now store them in the garage. He also barks(squawky-like) at our dog, Gary.

Aggressive squirrels!

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 9/13/2008 12:25:41 PM
Author: coatimundi

There is a fat squirrel (''Fatty'') in our backyard--he''s as big as a CAT I swear!(ok, small cat) He''s marked our yard as his--anyway, he chewed up ALL of our patio seat cushions and turned them into nest material. He''s a JERK!(but we love him anyway!) Once he started chewing, we just let him continue, because we thought it was so crazy and hilarious--he would do it right in front of us! We have subsequently bought new cushions--and now store them in the garage. He also barks(squawky-like) at our dog, Gary.

Aggressive squirrels!
LOL! I have had them swearing at me before, Coaties they sort of do a loud drawn out sharp EEEEEH preceded by little squawks of irritation...Bless ''em!

coatimundi_org

Ideal_Rock
Date: 9/13/2008 12:28:43 PM
Author: Lorelei

There is a fat squirrel (''Fatty'') in our backyard--he''s as big as a CAT I swear!(ok, small cat) He''s marked our yard as his--anyway, he chewed up ALL of our patio seat cushions and turned them into nest material. He''s a JERK!(but we love him anyway!) Once he started chewing, we just let him continue, because we thought it was so crazy and hilarious--he would do it right in front of us! We have subsequently bought new cushions--and now store them in the garage. He also barks(squawky-like) at our dog, Gary.

Aggressive squirrels!

LOL! I have had them swearing at me before, Coaties they sort of do a loud drawn out sharp EEEEEH preceded by little squawks of irritation...Bless ''em!

I know! They are so cute! I love the critters. They can be really loud with that hissy/squawk. Fatty sits up in the tree and glowers down at us--squawking. We always tell him to calm down--we know it''s his yard after all.
9.gif
I leave almonds out for him--he''s quite a fixture over here--albeit a crazy and demanding one!

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 9/13/2008 12:34:27 PM

Date: 9/13/2008 12:28:43 PM
Author: Lorelei

Aggressive squirrels!

I know! They are so cute! I love the critters. They can be really loud with that hissy/squawk. Fatty sits up in the tree and glowers down at us--squawking. We always tell him to calm down--we know it''s his yard after all.
9.gif
I leave almonds out for him--he''s quite a fixture over here--albeit a crazy and demanding one!
Oh precious!! I knew someone years ago who had a pet squirrel, he was a little so and so! I would love to see some peetures of Fatty Coaties!! Where I live there is a tree line near my fields, sometimes I can be out there picking up horse poo, minding my own business - only to get cursed at by some irate squirrel - I end up doing it back to him....EEEEEH!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results