shape
carat
color
clarity

The Cupcake Thread!

Tacori E-ring

Super_Ideal_Rock
princesss, you are right. Tessa is totally worth it.
2.gif
Sadly I have not been to WM lately. I got most of my big serving pieces there. I LOVE white dishes/platters/bowls. All white. Haha. Guess I am boring.

NF, glad you found it useful. I already told my neighbor she would borrow it for her kids'' b-days.

Speaking of is there a certain pan you guys like more than others? My friend said the dark ones don''t burn the cupcakes like the lighter gray ones.
33.gif

divergrrl

Ideal_Rock
Mara: did you see my post a few pages back? I am sooo lame & have not been on PS very much this summer. Too busy! The kids are killing me!! (just kidding)

I am ordering red velvet cuppies for D''s bday! The organic grocer down the street has some that are TDF.

How is life treating you? I have a pair of fuschia fingerless gloves that would look divine on Portia...LOL.

princesss

Ideal_Rock
Tacori, I like the darker pans because I do feel they spread heat more evenly.

I don''t know if you''re set on the larger cupcake stand, but there was a smaller version (18 cupcakes) at Home Goods at the shopping center in Blakeney. It was towards the back, where it connects with Marshalls.

Tacori E-ring

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 8/26/2008 8:59:17 PM
Author: princesss
Tacori, I like the darker pans because I do feel they spread heat more evenly.

I don''t know if you''re set on the larger cupcake stand, but there was a smaller version (18 cupcakes) at Home Goods at the shopping center in Blakeney. It was towards the back, where it connects with Marshalls.

I SAW that! Haha. I bet we have totally bumped into each other. I think I want the larger one. I figure I''ll make more than 18 anyways and it probably look cooler bigger
1.gif

steph72276

Ideal_Rock
Anybody have any yummy cupcake recipes for chocolate with chocolate frosting? Thanks!

sap483

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 8/22/2008 2:00:08 PM
Author: Tacori E-ring
Sorry if this has already been discuss but I have decided to do cupcakes for my daughter''s 1st birthday party (they will be no where as near beautiful or creative as all of yours) I am looking to get a cupcake stand. Anyone have one they love? Also is there a certain place that is the best to buy supplies (liners and stuff)? TIA!
Tacori, have you seen this one at the C&B outlet? I was considering buying it myself, but I honestly don''t have any space left to store something that I won''t be using regularly!

http://www.crateandbarrel.com/family.aspx?c=4440&f=26238

Tacori E-ring

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 8/28/2008 4:05:15 PM
Author: sap483
Date: 8/22/2008 2:00:08 PM

Author: Tacori E-ring

Sorry if this has already been discuss but I have decided to do cupcakes for my daughter''s 1st birthday party (they will be no where as near beautiful or creative as all of yours) I am looking to get a cupcake stand. Anyone have one they love? Also is there a certain place that is the best to buy supplies (liners and stuff)? TIA!

Tacori, have you seen this one at the C&B outlet? I was considering buying it myself, but I honestly don''t have any space left to store something that I won''t be using regularly!

http://www.crateandbarrel.com/family.aspx?c=4440&f=26238

That was is cute (and cheap!) Do you think it is too small though? I wish it held more.

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
Making cupcakes tonight for BBQ tomorrow. I''m thinking brown sugar cake but I can''t decide on a frosting. Suggestions anyone??

Jaders731

Brilliant_Rock
Hey Freke...

Hope I''m not tooooo late...

How about simple brown sugar buttercream... just replace the white sugar with brown.. mmm.. sooo good and such a light molasses flavor... scrumptious... I''m also a huge fan of that deep caramel flavor with mini choc. chips.. so you could throw some into your cuppies if you want.... top with brown sugar buttercream... and then a little mini chip... oooh.. or french chocolate sprinkles... my current obsession...

oooh.. man.. I want to make cuppies now... and I just spent the evening making a lovely fruit tart... pate sucre, pastry cream, raspberries, strawberries and kiwi... I have some sort of sickness that I want to get back in the kitchen again...

ughhh...

hope that helps.. and hope I''m not too late!

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
Mmmmm....you''re naughty Jaders!!! Now you''ve got me craving a blueberry fruit tart!!! It''s one of my all time favorite desserts. I haven''t made pastry cream in so long, I should really do that sometime. I have had a massive craving for a Gateau Saint Honore lately. And it''s not like people just make those randomly for fun. Unless we''re talking a French bakery-of which ALL disappeared here in NM!! I''m going to have to make one. That''s all there is to it.

Ok, so I made brown sugar cake (1/2 whole wheat flour, because I get it in when I can) and then an Italian Buttercream that was lightly caramelized (just boring granulated sugar), and then added a little bit of milk chocolate for color and an extra dimension of flavor. And because I''ll be serving chocolate fans. Tomorrow I''m going to crush some toffee bars and sprinkle that on top for some crunch and because I love toffee.
9.gif

Do you also do that thing where you just want to go back to the kitchen and make something? Like a craving--but not to eat something, instead to make it?

Please tell me it''s not just me!!!

Jaders731

Brilliant_Rock
Oh no girlfriend.. its not just you... I am always in the kitchen to just make something...I RARELY eat what I make, unless its out of this world... in fact.. last night was the first night I had a full piece of anything I''ve made in a really long time. I made it for a dinner party, and couldnt just NOT eat it when everyone else was... The gateau st. honore sounds fab... but you are right.. not really one of your everyday confections... but yummy nontheless... Funny.. there are no really good french bakeries where I am either...

Let me know if you want my pastry cream recipe.. its super yummy... I could seriously eat that stuff alone.. with a spoon...

Your cuppies sound awesome... and very rich! excellent job!

I had the brainiac idea to make a coffee cake today.. yeah.. its not gonna happen.. I need a baking hiatus today... tomorrow its back to my 11 hour days... today.. no baking... just cooking.. LOL... homemade chicken stock!

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
Yes I want your pastry cream recipe!!!

I like making stock from scratch. For some reason it relaxes me...Then again, most cooking stuff does.

akw94

Brilliant_Rock
Neatfreak and Pennquaker, thanks! I can''t find any good quality tips nearby so I might have to wait awhile to get the look that I want or order online.
I did make some Lemon Chiffon cupcakes w/Lemon frosting that turned out good. I wasn''t happy with the frosting look though. It was pretty flat and I was looking for the raised layers. I''m not sure if it''s just the tip that''s the problem or something else. I''ll try to post the pics tomorrow.

princesss

Ideal_Rock
It''s totally not just you, Freke. I love holidays (and fall in general) because there are so many tasty treats and flavours I can use. Plus I can have fun decorating and then give it all away. (Of course, I like having one or two of whatever I make...)

Honestly, I crave making baked goods WAY more than I ever crave eating them.

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
Lol Princesss!! I love the holidays too because of flavors and fun stuff to make. Plus! I can talk people into eating my fattening goodies, while they won''t touch them the rest of the year...

My favorite season is Fall. I love it. Love love love it.

Now I''m craving mustard rubbed porkloin stuffed with maple sauteed apples with barley and sweet potatoes or mashed butternut squash.

Yum yum yum in my tum tum tum....

angel_nieves

Brilliant_Rock
Yummy I made some peanut butter and jelly cupcakes last week and here is a pic.

pajc.jpg

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 9/5/2008 10:57:15 AM
Author: Macie
Yummy I made some peanut butter and jelly cupcakes last week and here is a pic.
Oh gosh Macie, my husband would love that cupcake since he loves pb and J!
9.gif
Cute!

Tacori, I love the cupcake stand, you will have to post pics of her bday cupcakes! How fun?!?!!?
9.gif

peonygirl

Brilliant_Rock
Hi guys! I just found this thread, and I wanted to share two cakes I made in my Michael''s cake decorating class. This is the first one I made (dark chocolate with swiss meringue buttercream). It was my sister''s birthday the next day, so I emailed her a pic.
21.gif

Cake145.JPG

peonygirl

Brilliant_Rock
And here is a carrot cake with cream cheese frosting. I made the top flat on this one because my teacher told me that my last cake was too round on top. We only had about 20 mins to decorate this one, so I made it simpler. My husband''s name starts with an I, and mine starts with a D.
30.gif

She''s a really good teacher, but she has some strange ideas about baking. She uses only shortening-based frosting (no butter at all) and is really pro cake-mixes. I must say, my cakes tasted even better than they looked! I brought them to work, and they were totally gone within 20 mins. Everyone keeps asking me when I''m going to bring in another cake.

Dcake2.JPG

SarahLovesJS

Ideal_Rock
I've never posted here in this thread before...but this thread is MAKING me drool.
5.gif

ETA: I have a giant cupcake pan question..has anyone used this? If so..ummmm..how do you cut it? Wouldn't it fall apart?

ladypirate

Ideal_Rock
Peony--it seems like most cake-decorating teachers are into the way the cake looks rather than the way it tastes. I''m with you, though, the taste is equally important! Did you use the swiss buttercream for the decorating frosting as well or was that shortening based?

I''m going to need to make a cake soon...or at least cupcakes. I haven''t baked in too long!

Tacori E-ring

Super_Ideal_Rock
How fun! I want to take a cake decorating cake class now!!!!

peonygirl

Brilliant_Rock
I did use the shortening-based stuff for decorating, however I do believe that one could use the swiss buttercream for everything but perhaps roses (in which the icing needs to be pretty stiff unless one is quite practiced). At my next class near the end of Sept, we are going to be learning how to do the Wilton icing roses.

divergrrl

Ideal_Rock
Tacori: YOu could totally rock cake decorating! You are so talented w/ your paintings etc....

ladypirate

Ideal_Rock
Date: 9/8/2008 12:06:52 AM
Author: peonygirl
I did use the shortening-based stuff for decorating, however I do believe that one could use the swiss buttercream for everything but perhaps roses (in which the icing needs to be pretty stiff unless one is quite practiced). At my next class near the end of Sept, we are going to be learning how to do the Wilton icing roses.

Yeah, the roses are a bit tricky even using the decorating icing. I want to start experimenting more with royal icing as well--they didn''t cover that in the class I took.

Jaders731

Brilliant_Rock
Hey Freke...

Sorry its been forever... here is the Pastry Cream recipe... it makes 1 Liter, so you can divide it if you want...

Milk....1000g
Sugar...125g
Vanilla....10g or 1 vanilla bean (I prefer the vanilla bean)
--------------------
Egg yolk...240g
Sugar.......125g
Cornstarch..80g

Heat Milk, sugar and vanilla bean, until bubbles form along the outside of the milk (dont bring to a boil)

In a bowl, combine second amount of sugar and cornstarch and whisk out all the lumps. Add the egg yolks and wisk until smooth.

Temper yolks with a little of the hot milk mixture. Then add the rest of the hot milk to the yolks. Strain back into pan, and cook over low until the custard comes to a boil (gentle boil). Cook for 1 minute to cook out the starch. Remove from heat and add vanilla extract if using instead of vanilla bean.

Keep in a bowl, place plastic wrap right on top of the custard to prevent a skin from forming.

Let me know if you have any questions!

akw94

Brilliant_Rock
Hi,
Here are the recent cupcakes I''ve made. The first were lemon with lemon icing. I don''t know if the tip was too small or what the problem was but I couldn''t get the icing to stay higher and each level on top of the other. Maybe the icing is too soft but I already added more powdered sugar.

dixie_IMG_0691.JPG

akw94

Brilliant_Rock
These are strawberry w/strawberry icing. The icing on these wouldn''t stay up at all and I even bought bigger tips. It was definitely a consistency problem. I did add extra sugar but I didn''t want to add too much b/c they would be too sweet. I did add strawberries to the icing so I imagine the juice was the problem. Any ideas on what to do to make the icing stand higher for either recipe or any other recipe? I''m using a fairly simple recipe for icing: butter, cream cheese, powdered sugar and whatever else to flavor the icing to match the cupcake.

Thanks!

dixie_IMG_0718.JPG

Tacori E-ring

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 9/8/2008 7:58:06 PM
Author: divergrrl
Tacori: YOu could totally rock cake decorating! You are so talented w/ your paintings etc....

You are so sweet. Thank you!

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 9/12/2008 4:05:30 PM
Author: dixie94
These are strawberry w/strawberry icing. The icing on these wouldn''t stay up at all and I even bought bigger tips. It was definitely a consistency problem. I did add extra sugar but I didn''t want to add too much b/c they would be too sweet. I did add strawberries to the icing so I imagine the juice was the problem. Any ideas on what to do to make the icing stand higher for either recipe or any other recipe? I''m using a fairly simple recipe for icing: butter, cream cheese, powdered sugar and whatever else to flavor the icing to match the cupcake.

Thanks!
Yum, Dixie, those look delicious!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results