shape
carat
color
clarity

One more questions

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Laurie2

Shiny_Rock
If you get a good quality diamond should it look good in all light? I know it will look different but do all stones look cloudy at times? Am I asking too much to want a stone that looks fairly clear in different light?

WinkHPD

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Date: 9/5/2008 5:26:46 AM
Author:Laurie2
If you get a good quality diamond should it look good in all light? I know it will look different but do all stones look cloudy at times? Am I asking too much to want a stone that looks fairly clear in different light?
Not at all. Before buying a diamond you should ask the jeweler to take it into a hallway with you, into the daylight, stand in a corner and just let a little light sneak over your shoulders, into direct sunlight (do not stare at it, just glance, or you will hurt your eyes) and in as many other lighting conditions as are available. If it is a well cut diamond it will look good in all of them, although some conditions will clearly look better than others.

This will help you to avoid those diamonds that only look good under the kleig lights at the jeweler''s store.

I am curious why you ask if all stones look cloudy at times. Do you have one that does? Did someone tell you this that is trying to sell a diamond that looks cloudy at times?

Wink

Laurie2

Shiny_Rock
Wink, yes mine is clouding on me. I''ve cleaned it. I didn''t know much about diamonds and how important cut is when we got it. Sometimes it looks a little cloudy. Sometimes more than a little cloudy. So I''m shopping and learning. I get a bonus in December which I''m going to use to get a new stone. I''m excited to know my new stone will look pretty in all light.

dbsdiamonds

Shiny_Rock
Different lights pose different brilliance styles. Whatever diamond you are looking at the facts on the brilliance based off the cut of the diamond should be able to be revealed on the certificate of the diamond.

If a diamond has the best cut statistics, best color and clarity for the budget and best size then usually it''s the best diamond. Of course there is an exception here and there but across the board this holds true.

There are many tricks to the trade at store level that can happen to change the brilliance of a stone. Like putting one''s fingerprint on one to "deaden" the stone to make another diamond look better, the one they want you to buy. Or maybe an inadvertent touch.

If you are concerned about brilliance I''m sure you can get help here on what to get and not get or certainly advice to maximize the cut grade of your gem of choice to maximize the beauty and brilliance without all the potential issues of store level hunting...Plus remember, you are stuck with the few options they may have while online there will be 100,000''s+ that can be sorted through....

Marty
CEO/Pres
Diamond Brokerage Service, Inc
www.dbsdiamonds.com

WinkHPD

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Date: 9/5/2008 12:03:12 PM
Author: Laurie2
Wink, yes mine is clouding on me. I''ve cleaned it. I didn''t know much about diamonds and how important cut is when we got it. Sometimes it looks a little cloudy. Sometimes more than a little cloudy. So I''m shopping and learning. I get a bonus in December which I''m going to use to get a new stone. I''m excited to know my new stone will look pretty in all light.

I am wondering if you have some kind of a film on the diamond that is causing this. It could be a contributing factor. Also, you do not mention the lighting under which your diamond appears cloudy, this could be good information for us to have in trying to detective the out for you.

Wink

Laurie2

Shiny_Rock
Hey all,

Thanks for all the advise. I''v pretty much decided I will probably go with Whiteflash. They seem to have a wide selection and people here seem to trust them and have had good outcomes. When it gets closer to December I will post more stones and let you guys help me pick a good one.

The answer the question about when my diamond is clouding. It seems to look cloudy in lower lighting like in the car and our apartment. It looks great in malls and the grocery store. Luckily I adore my setting and don''t want to change that.

When looking at stones ASET it looks like there''s usually more grreen and red/pink and a few blue and black specs wihich if I understand this right is leakage. Would all stones have some black and blue?

Thanks so much.

ButterBean

Shiny_Rock
Wink,

Since you have access to so many stones of varying qualities, please consider adding another demonstration to your repetoire. (spelling?)
I, and probably many others, would appreciate seeing a "Wink TV Special" video: side-by-side line up of POOR - GOOD - VERY GOOD - EXCELLENT cut stones in a tray style holder. They should all be RB of similar color, size and clarity. Then, as you move the holder, we can see just how much the level of cut does affect our perception of brilliance and scintillation etc.
I know you''re a busy man, but you seem so good at this ... Just a thought...

Garry H (Cut Nut)

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
The better the cut in a round brilliant, the worse it should look in direct strong sunlight.

Date: 9/5/2008 4:53:59 PM
Author: dbsdiamonds
Different lights pose different brilliance styles. Whatever diamond you are looking at the facts on the brilliance based off the cut of the diamond should be able to be revealed on the certificate of the diamond.

If a diamond has the best cut statistics, best color and clarity for the budget and best size then usually it''s the best diamond. Of course there is an exception here and there but across the board this holds true.

There are many tricks to the trade at store level that can happen to change the brilliance of a stone. Like putting one''s fingerprint on one to ''deaden'' the stone to make another diamond look better, the one they want you to buy. Or maybe an inadvertent touch.

If you are concerned about brilliance I''m sure you can get help here on what to get and not get or certainly advice to maximize the cut grade of your gem of choice to maximize the beauty and brilliance without all the potential issues of store level hunting...Plus remember, you are stuck with the few options they may have while online there will be 100,000''s+ that can be sorted through....

Marty
CEO/Pres
Diamond Brokerage Service, Inc
www.dbsdiamonds.com
DBS I read you post and until I got to the last bit i thought you might have turned over a new leave and stopped touting. But leopards............

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results