shape
carat
color
clarity

Pregnant on BC!?!

Have you or your SO ever gotten pregnant WHILE using birth control?

• Yes, I got pregnant, and I did everything as directed.

Votes: 1 100.0%
  • Yes, I got pregnant, but I maybe made an error.

Votes: 1 100.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

trillionaire

Ideal_Rock
no commentary needed... just want to know if you or your SO has ever gotten preggo while on BC!?!

Thought this would be interesting with all the talk about abstinence only ed vs. general sex ed w/ BC options taught.

I mean, everyone has that "friend" that got pregnant, but who really knows the true story... so just about you or your SO.... what is YOUR experiences...

Please weigh in! :)

diamondfan

Super_Ideal_Rock
I will say, though you said no one had to reply, that I was on the pill and got bronchitis. This was 1983 and very little was known about the pill and antibiotics. Well, I was on them and got pregnant. Oops. I was pretty good about taking them, and though I cannot swear all those years ago I did not miss a pill, it was the antibiotics I was taking that caused me to get pregnant. Now they tell you and have for years to use a back up method. My doctor did not.

SarahLovesJS

Ideal_Rock
Date: 9/3/2008 1:12:06 AM
Author: diamondfan
I will say, though you said no one had to reply, that I was on the pill and got bronchitis. This was 1983 and very little was known about the pill and antibiotics. Well, I was on them and got pregnant. Oops. I was pretty good about taking them, and though I cannot swear all those years ago I did not miss a pill, it was the antibiotics I was taking that caused me to get pregnant. Now they tell you and have for years to use a back up method. My doctor did not.

Same thing happened to one of FI's family members while she was in college except it was via St. John's Wort I believe. It says in ALL of the information on the pill that it is 99.9% effective. So it IS possible...unfortunately.
5.gif

ETA: Sorry..I just reread and saw it was supposed to only be about my experience or SO's..I guess this qualifies as SO's kind of since it's a family member.

luckystar112

Ideal_Rock
I don''t get the point of this poll.
Care to explain, Trillionaire?

My mom got pregnant with me while she was on birth control. I doubt she''d tell me that if it were a lie.
2.gif

trillionaire

Ideal_Rock
Date: 9/3/2008 1:14:26 AM
Author: SarahLovesJS

Same thing happened to one of FI's family members while she was in college except it was via St. John's Wort I believe. It says in ALL of the information on the pill that it is 99.9% effective. So it IS possible...unfortunately.
5.gif

I'm so glad that you posted this actually! My sister recently had a UTI, and was told by the pharmacist that the antibiotics could counteract BCPs! I had never heard this, and was wondering how many people get pregnant because of drug INTERACTIONS, that they then blame on the pill itself. It seems that under normal conditions and properly used, they ARE in fact, highly effective. I hate for people to have misinformation, and thinking that BC doesn't work because of misunderstandings of drug interactions certainly qualifies.

Fortunately, my sister, at age 22, is still not having sex, so it didn't matter.
36.gif

trillionaire

Ideal_Rock
Date: 9/3/2008 1:20:28 AM
Author: luckystar112
I don't get the point of this poll.

Care to explain, Trillionaire?

My mom got pregnant with me while she was on birth control. I doubt she'd tell me that if it were a lie.
2.gif

Hmm... I didn't know that there had to be a point to polls. I was sitting in my bed, drinking some wine, and *ding* Poll idea! The OP stated exactly what was on my mind. No more, no less.
19.gif

OP:

"no commentary needed... just want to know if you or your SO has ever gotten preggo while on BC!?!

Thought this would be interesting with all the talk about abstinence only ed vs. general sex ed w/ BC options taught.

I mean, everyone has that "friend" that got pregnant, but who really knows the true story... so just about you or your SO.... what is YOUR experiences..."

SarahLovesJS

Ideal_Rock
Date: 9/3/2008 1:20:33 AM
Author: trillionaire
Date: 9/3/2008 1:14:26 AM

Same thing happened to one of FI''s family members while she was in college except it was via St. John''s Wort I believe. It says in ALL of the information on the pill that it is 99.9% effective. So it IS possible...unfortunately.
5.gif

I''m so glad that you posted this actually! My sister recently had a UTI, and was told by the pharmacist that it could counteract BCPs! I had never heard this, and was wondering how many people get pregnant because of drug INTERACTIONS, that they then blame on the pill itself. It seems that under normal conditions and properly used, they ARE in fact, highly effective. I hate for people to have misinformation, and thinking that BC doesn''t work because of misunderstandings of drug interactions certainly qualifies.

Fortunately, my sister, at age 22, is still not having sex, so it didn''t matter.
36.gif

Yeah, I wonder if the .1% actually comes from user error, body anomalies, and drug interactions. Hopefully someone on here will know because I''ve always wondered and the information doesn''t exactly tell you what the .1% is! Haha. So I assume there''s some magical thing out there I don''t know about that makes them fail..and keep the .1% in mind since I don''t know if it''s because of the above reasons. But the drug interactions aren''t the pill''s fault like you said..I just think a lot people are left in the dark even today. For example..if I get any medicine at my college pharmacy they ALWAYS warn me, but when I am at home and get something from the drug store I don''t get a warning at all. Luckily I already know.
40.gif
And serious kudos to your sister, she''s in a slim minority nowadays!
36.gif

diamondfan

Super_Ideal_Rock
It was awful. And my boyfriend was this crazy abusive guy and he had NO money for the abortion, he was a waiter/struggling actor and boy I freaked. I ended up having to tell my mom, and she was actually okay about it, she took me and paid for it and everything. I think he eventually scraped some money together, we had broken up over this and he was being a total jerk. I think I went to Planned Parenthood? I paid EXTRA for IV anesthesia I was such a chicken. I remember being so afraid of infections and not being able to have kids. If you can believe stupid me, he started calling me again and falling all over himself, telling me he loved me and that he was such as ASS (yes) and cried and begged me to forgive him and I TOOK HIM BACK! What an idiot. I was in college at USC when this happened, in my first year, and rushing a sorority. It was a pretty terrible experience. I ended up staying with him but it was never right again, not that it was ever anyway, I was a possession to him, and he was so jealous and controlling! And I felt sorry for him cause him mom was mean to him and I let my pity cloud my judgment. He would freak if we had a social with a fraternity and come down and be waiting for me, he was so suspicious all the time. Scary stuff now...I could not imagine having his baby and having to be in his life.

I can still recall with total clarity the day I KNEW in my heart I was pregnant. It was literally my 18th birthday and when I did bleed by lunchtime I just KNEW. I was so scared. I remember going to the clinic for the pregnancy test, and then going to a dumpy coffee shop type place with a friend and waiting to call the clinic from the pay phone (no cell phones then). When the nurse on the line said it was positive I got all clammy and my knees went out from under me a bit. I went ashen and started to cry.

Sorry if this is TMI, I am pretty comfortable sharing it, it was so long ago and I know I made the right choice for myself. I understand if someone finds it too much though, no offense taken!

diamondfan

Super_Ideal_Rock
The pill is very effective if not missed, but that does not account for antibiotics or other drugs that decrease effectiveness.

If one is on those, a back up method is needed for that cycle. Wish I knew that at the time!

trillionaire

Ideal_Rock
THREAD JACK!!!

DF, I hope you saw the USC/UVA game this weekend! SO and I went and had a fabulous time! It only feels right to be #1 in the polls again
2.gif
Bring on OSU!

/End Thread jack...

diamondfan

Super_Ideal_Rock
I take it the Trojans won? (funny to talk about Trojans in an accidental pregnancy thread!!!!)

FIGHT ON!

ladypirate

Ideal_Rock
Date: 9/3/2008 1:28:39 AM
It was awful. And my boyfriend was this crazy abusive guy and he had NO money for the abortion, he was a waiter/struggling actor and boy I freaked. I ended up having to tell my mom, and she was actually okay about it, she took me and paid for it and everything. I think he eventually scraped some money together, we had broken up over this and he was being a total jerk. I think I went to Planned Parenthood? I paid EXTRA for IV anesthesia I was such a chicken. I remember being so afraid of infections and not being able to have kids. If you can believe stupid me, he started calling me again and falling all over himself, telling me he loved me and that he was such as ASS (yes) and cried and begged me to forgive him and I TOOK HIM BACK! What an idiot. I was in college at USC when this happened, in my first year, and rushing a sorority. It was a pretty terrible experience. I ended up staying with him but it was never right again, not that it was ever anyway, I was a possession to him, and he was so jealous and controlling! And I felt sorry for him cause him mom was mean to him and I let my pity cloud my judgment. He would freak if we had a social with a fraternity and come down and be waiting for me, he was so suspicious all the time. Scary stuff now...I could not imagine having his baby and having to be in his life.

I can still recall with total clarity the day I KNEW in my heart I was pregnant. It was literally my 18th birthday and when I did bleed by lunchtime I just KNEW. I was so scared. I remember going to the clinic for the pregnancy test, and then going to a dumpy coffee shop type place with a friend and waiting to call the clinic from the pay phone (no cell phones then). When the nurse on the line said it was positive I got all clammy and my knees went out from under me a bit. I went ashen and started to cry.

Sorry if this is TMI, I am pretty comfortable sharing it, it was so long ago and I know I made the right choice for myself. I understand if someone finds it too much though, no offense taken!

DFan, I just wanted to send you a *hug* and say that I think you are really brave for sharing your experience here.

luckystar112

Ideal_Rock
FWIW, DF...your ex sounds a lot like mine. I couldn''t IMAGINE having a child with him either! And I could have gotten pregnant very easily since I wasn''t doing anything to prevent it. I thank my lucky stars every day.

trillionaire

Ideal_Rock
I take it the Trojans won? (funny to talk about Trojans in an accidental pregnancy thread!!!!)

FIGHT ON!

"There is no such thing as fun for the whole family-there are no massage parlors with ice cream and free jewelry" Jerry Seinfeld

52-7!

Go Trojans!!!

diamondfan

Super_Ideal_Rock
Thanks LP.

It was so long ago, but of course is part of who I am and I have no shame or regrets. It was not a choice I made lightly, I do not wish to convey that, but I knew it was the right and only choice for me. I think my mom was so supportive because she hated this guy and feared for my life he was that jealous and insane. And she never knew most of what he did to me, I was too ashamed to tell her. But boy he was gorgeous and I got swept off my feet in the beginning. Things turned bad but I stayed with him nearly two years. I was lucky to get away in one piece, albeit having suffered a lot and learned some big lessons.

diamondfan

Super_Ideal_Rock
Lucky, I think there is a master plan!

That is not a win, that is a slaughter.

I endured years of ''SC sucks and all of that, so I am happy they have had such a good team in the last few years!

SarahLovesJS

Ideal_Rock
Date: 9/3/2008 1:32:42 AM
THREAD JACK!!!

DF, I hope you saw the USC/UVA game this weekend! SO and I went and had a fabulous time! It only feels right to be #1 in the polls again
2.gif
Bring on OSU!

/End Thread jack...

Some of us don''t think it was such a great game.
27.gif
11.gif

purrfectpear

Ideal_Rock
My son is a diaphragm baby
2.gif

They''re only as effective as your skills in placement.

trillionaire

Ideal_Rock
Date: 9/3/2008 8:54:07 AM

THREAD JACK!!!

2.gif
Bring on OSU!

/End Thread jack...

27.gif
11.gif
Are you a Wahoo? lol, I think that is the most fun term... Everyone at UVA was SO NICE! What a wonderful host University, speaks volumes of the class of the students and alums! I was really really impressed! AND the campus was beautiful to boot!

musey

Super_Ideal_Rock
Not me, but my cousin did. Wasn't a huge deal as she was married and they already had one kid, they just weren't planning the second yet. She wasn't on any conflicting drugs, and swears up and down that she didn't miss a pill (who knows if this is true?), just a fertile myrtle.

The chances of that are so ridiculously slim that I feel like we must not have all the info
2.gif

SarahLovesJS

Ideal_Rock
Date: 9/3/2008 12:20:33 PM
Date: 9/3/2008 8:54:07 AM

THREAD JACK!!!

2.gif
Bring on OSU!

/End Thread jack...

27.gif
11.gif

Are you a Wahoo? lol, I think that is the most fun term... Everyone at UVA was SO NICE! What a wonderful host University, speaks volumes of the class of the students and alums! I was really really impressed! AND the campus was beautiful to boot!

/threadjack

Looks like you found me out!!
4.gif
Thank you for the compliments! I didn''t expect for us to win..I actually didn''t go. BAD SARAH! But I just knew it wasn''t going to go so well. hehe. You have a great football team, that''s for sure!
5.gif
36.gif
But hey at least we did get one touchdown, right?
12.gif
Next weekend should definitely go better for us, haha.

/end threadjack

partgypsy

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Well it''s never happened to me, but it happened to my mother in law, with the IUD. I''m not sure what happened exactly but the placement of the IUD meant that the pregnancy was not going to be viable. However as it was before Roe vs Wade, she had to wait till very late in her pregnancy till her health was considered endangered before the pregnancy could be terminated.

vita*dolce

Brilliant_Rock
i haven''t, but a mother of 4 recently told me that she got pregnant with all of hers while on BC. ALL FOUR of them.

sunnyd

Ideal_Rock
Date: 9/3/2008 3:43:27 PM
Author: vita*dolce
i haven''t, but a mother of 4 recently told me that she got pregnant with all of hers while on BC. ALL FOUR of them.
Whoa! Really?!

Not me, but a friend got preggo while on the pill. I don''t know about any drug interactions or if she was even taking her pill (rumors of husband-manipulation from people closer to her
14.gif
). Scary to think about!

Daydreamer7130

Shiny_Rock
I got pregnant while on the pill. No one explained to me that you had to take the pill at the same time every day. I was working 12 hr shifts every friday, saturday and sunday. One week was 7am start and the next 7pm and this rotated. I would just take the pill when I woke up for the day. Sometimes that was 530am and the others were between 1-3pm. I was sooo embarassed when I got pregnant! This was my 4th child. I had a tubal afterwards!

trillionaire

Ideal_Rock
Date: 9/3/2008 3:43:27 PM
Author: vita*dolce

I would put money on human error in her case... 99.6% effective, and you are in the .4% four times?!? Are we sure she knows the difference between skittles and BCPs?
27.gif

divergrrl

Ideal_Rock
Ha, what about the fact that TUBAL LIGATION & VASECTOMY are considered more effective than BC and there are tons of babies born after sterilization?

My bff in real life had her tubes tied after her 2nd was born. She was pregnant one year later. Go figure. Her docs checked her out when she had to have a hysterectomy a year later and said htere was no way she could have gotten pg, but of course, she did!

I have a tubal, but I also take BC pills as a backup! I don''t trust it. 1 in 500 women with a tubal will get pg. 1 in 1000 with a partner who has had a vasectomy.

The pill is like what..1 in 100? That''s a lot of pill babies, even for perfect pill taking technique.

diamondfan

Super_Ideal_Rock
I know someone who conceived with an IUD in place, or while on the pill, or with a diaphragm.

I know a man who had a vasectomy but DID NOT wait the time frame told to him by the doctor. He and his wife now have their 5th child. It actually is an amazing story though, as they had all daughters, he wanted a son, but decided to stop. Number five was, you guessed it, a son. They are so thrilled and laugh about it but I am sure when she got that positive pregnancy test back she was a bit nervous!

Nothing is fool proof.

MoonWater

Ideal_Rock
Date: 9/3/2008 1:35:43 AM
Author: ladypirate

Date: 9/3/2008 1:28:39 AM

DFan, I just wanted to send you a *hug* and say that I think you are really brave for sharing your experience here.
Ditto! I can only imagine how scary that entire experience was.

diamondfan

Super_Ideal_Rock
Thanks Moon and LP. Yes, it was, as like I said, I can still recall calling the clinic and standing there in the parking lot of this dump and praying, please be negative please be negative. When she said it was not, I sort of went out of my body, I could hear cars and people talking but I did not feel like it was me standing there. I remember too hoping I would just miscarry the baby shortly and not have to decide to do anything.

I made a typo in my long paragraph, I meant when I did NOT bleed. Anyway, the bummer was it was my 18th birthday, I had a small party with family but all I could think about was no cramps, no sign I was going to get my period, and it was all that was on my mind. Then my boyfriend came over, things were starting to be so bad as he was simply the most jealous and crazy guy I had ever known. He scared my friends. He is actually the one I said checked out my Classmates profile a while back...he is not someone I remember too fondly, though at one time I was nuts about him, he was gorgeous and very romantic. He also was this side of insane due to his mom''s treatment of him, and though I heard he has a kid now, boy, I would not think he had the parenting skills to be a great dad. Of course people can evolve, but he was so abused mentally and verbally by his mom it would take an amazing amount of awareness NOT to be like that now.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results