shape
carat
color
clarity

There IS nothing wrong with an H, right?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Babylon1023

Rough_Rock
As far as Ideal cut rounds are concerned, an H color IS white and yellow free to the average person, right? I ask because I noticed I could get a G color in an SI1 for the same price as an H color VS2. Does anybody think its worth the downgrade in clarity to get a G in color, or should I stick with a VS2 for inclusion free peace of mind because I'll never notice the difference between a G and an H? That's it guys, really... LOL!

mbn

Shiny_Rock
I used to stick w/G color and it is still nice to have G color; however, i wanted bigger stone, so I went for H color and it's still white and sparkly on platinum. If SI is good quality, u don't see inclusions w/naked eye, then go to G/SI. To most people VS2 is nice compare to SI, so if that's the case, H/VS2 is good too, depends on you. G or H color is very similar to naked eye. I have 2.16c round H/VS1 and color is white. Of course, if I have money to spend, I'd go for G/SI or G/VS2.

Greentree

Rough_Rock
You and I must think alike. I really don't like seeing rubbish in a diamond when viewed under the loupe, even if you can't see it face up. Go with your gut feeling. If the G diamond has an inclusion you don't like, don't buy it. If you really like the H diamond, go for it. If only a colorless stone will do, keep looking.

Diamonds with a slightly yellowish tinge are not of poor quality. They are just more readily available. The emphasis on colorless stones is really the result of a marketing strategy that causes a strong demand combined with a limited supply. The result is higher prices.

Indeed, with a public convinced that only a diamond is acceptable for an engagement ring, thus creating a strong demand, and a cartel limiting the supply, this marketing strategy is true of all diamonds generally. That's why we're all paying big bucks for something that would otherwise be considerably cheaper.

Caratz

Shiny_Rock
If, as you said before, you are not going to buy the diamond for several months, it may be worth your time to stop by a B&M and ask to see a loose G compared to a loose H and a loose D. Although I would not buy from a B&M, I think it would be worthwhile to do a color comparison in person. Judge for yourself -- just remember to do it against a white background, and make sure that the stones you are looking at are GIA or AGS certified.

Babylon1023

Rough_Rock
So the general concensus is that:

1) Unless in proper testing conditions and with the aid of a gemologist, the average person would not be able to tell a G and an H apart from each other.

2) An H color diamond (ideal cut of course) would be JUST FINE for a one carat engagement ring for somebody who is just looking for a clear, white, and pretty stone, and not for microscopic or testing room perfection.

Just as long as nobody thinks "Kinda looks a little yellow, not exactly clear & white if you ask me, and you paid WHAT for it?" That would just kill me LOL! First off, I will practically guarantee that unless it's a poorly cut piece of junk, none of our friends will have a D-F color diamond to compare it with, so without a comparison, if it looks as white as can be, I'll be happy. I think an H would do just fine, as I heard you really need to be in the right conditions to look hard to tell an H from a colorless, let alone a G. I would rather have it totally visible inclusion free, so it will at least look like perfection. So what do you think, is H the grade for what I want?

StevL

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Most people will have a hard time separating a G from an H and especially when the diamonds are face up. Once mounted even a jeweler would be out on a limb to say which is which with total confidence.

I say go with the H. It sounds like you love that diamond anyway.

Babylon1023

Rough_Rock
Thanks for the replies! Yeah, I guess if you can't tell a G an an H apart in normal conditions without any help there's no sense in spending the extra hard earned cash. Trust me, I don't think she'll be THAT interested in what letter of the alphabet it falls under, just as long as it's a quality stone. I haven't picked a stone yet, but I will after several months. I just want to get the heads up now so I don't make any mistakes later, because I don't plan to do that upgrade thing. I've got about a year of advance to save up 5 G's and I want to know what I'm getting into before crunch time. I think I'm about done here, and I've decided to go with an H VS2. I want a white, inclusion free stone that looks absolutely perfect to the naked eye, and from what I've gathered those grades will give me what I want. So unless anybody wants to differ, thanks for helping me out here and for saving me from a potentially bad mistake in the future. Thanks guys!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results