shape
carat
color
clarity

Do you lose weight or gain weight under stress?

Do you lose weight or gain weight in times of stress?

• Lose

Votes: 1 100.0%
  • Gain

• Neither

• Show me the answers

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

goldenstar

Brilliant_Rock
Just curious...

I gain. I think I've gained 5 pounds in the past two months of studying for the bar exam. Part of it is from being more sedentary than usual but part of it is that I snack to stay awake. Plus, I've been treating myself liberally with sugary coffee drinks.

Some people lose their appetite during times of stress. Not me.

poshpepper

Ideal_Rock

Unfortunately I gain.

8.gif

Unless the stress is somehow related to my inability to eat... Ha!!!

I have to be very careful about mindless or comfort snacking.

aliciagirl

Shiny_Rock
I tend to gain. I eat more when I''m stressed. I also justify eating crappy food like, "Oh, I have a test tomorrow and I have to study all day so I deserve this cupcake/brownie/frappuccino."

LtlFirecracker

Ideal_Rock
I usually loose a little weight when I am stressed. Part of it is usually my long hours keep me from getting in the gym to lift weights, so I loose more muscle mass than fat I think. I also don''t tend to snack. But I am on the thin side to start, so I usually try to at least get back into the gym when things settle. The weight usually comes back in a month (I am only talking a few pounds, but it makes a difference to me).

Miranda

Ideal_Rock
Lose. I have zero hunger (and a whole lot of nausea) when I''m stressed.

miraclesrule

Ideal_Rock
Stress = weight gain for me. I will try to soothe myself with food. Anxiety, same thing.

Deep despair=weight loss. If I am really in a bad state of despair or sadness, I just can''t eat.

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
Hmmm, depends what kind of stress. If it''s a loss of a loved one, I drop weight like a stone. Lowest point for me was 85 pounds. That was a very long time ago, when my brother died. I just didn''t want to go on without him. Too long to go into, but snapped out of it, and never had another issue. When Nanny died, I sought counseling to help me deal with my sense of loss and pain.

If it''s PITA stress, meaning not too serious I tend to eat. Being 46, it''s harder to loose the extra pounds that it was pre 40. I look well, healthy, and really don''t care if I add an extra 5 pounds while on Vacay, etc... The down side, is I can''t play tennis anymore, due to 3 herniated disks in my neck. I used to play competitively, but now it''s walks or riding my bike.

robbie3982

Ideal_Rock
I picked neither, but it''s actually both. It just depends on the situation I guess. Before the wedding I was eating chipotle multiple times/week and I kept losing weight despite not having time to go to the gym. Usually I gain though. I''m definitely a stress eater.

brazen_irish_hussy

Ideal_Rock
I can''t eat. It used to be I didn''t eat at all under stress. When I was 16, the finals, school play and me being sick all happened at once; I lost 11 pounds in 8 days which is a lot when you weighed 105 to start with. I went to the doctor after and was diagnosed with hypoglycimia so I am much more careful now, but I still lose weight under stress, just a lot less. I can''t eat anything fatty and tend to work out a lot harder, so I do tend to lose some, but I am careful.

happy in love

Shiny_Rock
Ugh. I gain. I eat more, and tend to eat unhealthy when I''m stressed.
If only I could lose my appetite, I''d stress myself out all the time
3.gif

Elmorton

Ideal_Rock
Another gainer here. I self-medicate with food. Unfortunately, I also gain when I''m happy. ;-)

Haven

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/23/2008 9:15:18 PM
Author: miraclesrule
Stress = weight gain for me. I will try to soothe myself with food. Anxiety, same thing.

Deep despair=weight loss. If I am really in a bad state of despair or sadness, I just can''t eat.

I''m exactly the same way, miracles.

Samantha Red

Shiny_Rock
Date: 7/23/2008 9:13:10 PM
Author: SanDiegoLady
Oh Lordy, I gain....
7.gif

*eta did I mention lately that I''m a huge mooooocow..?
14.gif
SDL I am sure you are not - you always look so feminine and beautiful in photographs

Miscka

Brilliant_Rock
I usually gain-unless it is something really serious. Usually if I am low on stress/really happy I lose weight because I just forget to eat. I used to have a job I hated and I packed on the weight pretty quickly!

Why do you ask?

anchor31

Ideal_Rock
I picked neither because my weight doesn''t fluctuate much, even under stress.

aprilcait

Brilliant_Rock
For me, it depends on the period and level of stress. For shorter periods of stress or more minor stresses, I usually react by craving carbs, comfort food, and chocolate like a mad woman. During longer periods of stress or with more intense stress, I''ll feel nauseous most of the time so even the smell of food makes me feel icky. Basically, if I end up having a longer period of stress I can start off gaining weight and end up losing weight at the end. I guess it evens out.

Right now, I''m a carb- and choco-holic (but really trying to fight those cravings). Stress may not be fun, but it sure can be delicious!
3.gif

fieryred33143

Ideal_Rock
I gain as well. Not because I overeat, but I run to my comfort foods which unfortunately normally includes ice-cream or pizza

bee*

Super_Ideal_Rock
My appetite tends to triple when I''m stressed, which isn''t good as I have a large appetite anyway!

Rachie

Shiny_Rock
Date: 7/23/2008 9:09:04 PM
Author: Miranda

I have these exact symptoms, no matter what kind of stress it is.

Diamond Confused

Shiny_Rock
Me too. especially in sadness is added to the mix. I lost so much weight in my last break-up. I idn''t notice at first but then one day I looked at my bony back in the mirror and it was disgusting. I made myself eat after that.

I also lose my appetite in the summer. Food is gross to me when it''s hot out.

just_looking!

Brilliant_Rock
I definitely gain and it''s normally all on my tummy which is fairly typical with stress eating!

I tend to eat more when I''m stressed - usually more of the high calorie carb / fat foods, plus I normally have less time to exercise so it''s a lose / lose (or gain / gain!!) situation......

iheartscience

Super_Ideal_Rock
I lose weight, but only if I''m super depressed or sad. Otherwise my weight doesn''t change too much either way. I''m not really a big eater like some people are to begin with (you know, the types who just love to go out to big dinners, etc.) and when I''m depressed or super stressed out I just have no appetite at all.

portia

Brilliant_Rock
I''m an emotional eater so I gain when stressed and I lose weight when extremely sad or depressed.

jcrow

Ideal_Rock
Date: 8/15/2008 10:21:00 AM
Author: portia
I''m an emotional eater so I gain when stressed and I lose weight when extremely sad or depressed.

ditto. although i never considered myself an emotional eater...

angel_nieves

Brilliant_Rock
I am the same way, I lose like mad if I am stressed out!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results