shape
carat
color
clarity

John Edwards Affair and Possible Love Child

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock

diamondfan

Super_Ideal_Rock
Have not read this whole thread.

I think a lot of these powerful guys feel they can behave any way they want to without consequences. Sickening to me when his wife is ill and dying, this is what should be occupying her last months on earth?

I heard he told her and she knew a while ago. I am not sure when she was first diagnosed and when she had her recurrence, but he is the biggest ass in the world to me. Spitzer, Gary Hart, Clinton, countless and I mean countless others, do these men NOT have any learning curve at all? They are scrutinized so totally WHY would they even risk this crap...it is so disgusting to me. I mean, I am not naive, many men cheat, but if you are in the public eye like this, come on.

And the fact that she is dying and has to have all this out there, her children have to see this...well, I think he should be ashamed with himself.

I also heard he is not likely the father of the child and is willing to have a DNA test to prove it...but hey...either he is totally certain or a total moron. I think both are possible.

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
please read the article at the link i posted. perhaps it will give some insight as to why some women find the infidelity unimportant.

movie zombie

trillionaire

Ideal_Rock
Date: 8/13/2008 11:12:38 PM
Author: diamondfan
Have not read this whole thread.

I think a lot of these powerful guys feel they can behave any way they want to without consequences. Sickening to me when his wife is ill and dying, this is what should be occupying her last months on earth?

I heard he told her and she knew a while ago. I am not sure when she was first diagnosed and when she had her recurrence, but he is the biggest ass in the world to me. Spitzer, Gary Hart, Clinton, countless and I mean countless others, do these men NOT have any learning curve at all? They are scrutinized so totally WHY would they even risk this crap...it is so disgusting to me. I mean, I am not naive, many men cheat, but if you are in the public eye like this, come on.

And the fact that she is dying and has to have all this out there, her children have to see this...well, I think he should be ashamed with himself.

I also heard he is not likely the father of the child and is willing to have a DNA test to prove it...but hey...either he is totally certain or a total moron. I think both are possible.

I somehow wonder about this... he "wants" the test, and she refuses to have one. I think she''s being paid to stay quiet. How disgusting to be cheating AND having unprotected sex. I really hope that is not the case, and that the kid is really not his.

And that Rielle chick seems kinda nuts...

luckystar112

Ideal_Rock
Date: 8/13/2008 11:31:40 PM
Author: movie zombie
please read the article at the link i posted. perhaps it will give some insight as to why some women find the infidelity unimportant.

movie zombie

I read it.
I'm afraid I don't share the same opinion as you.

For one, comparing being a doctor to running for president? Please. I'm sure not too many patients know what their doctor's favorite hobbies are, what their beliefs are, or what their personal lives and family is like. Campaigning, on the other hand, is pretty much an invitation into the candidate's whole life. We know of Elizabeth Edwards through John Edwards. He put them in the spotlight and then publicly humiliated her (or publicly humiliated us, for her) by having an affair. Do you know your doctor's dirty laundry?

Plus I thought the "but...but...but McCain!" was so unecessary and off-topic. Minus points for the Bush comments too.
14.gif
So typical.
20.gif

Not only that, but the article paints Elizabeth to be a complete idiot or something.

"After getting a cancer diagnosis in the last month of her husband's 2004 campaign for vice president, a shock to both of them, maybe she felt that she owed him another campaign."

Seriously? Felt like she owed him after getting cancer? Wha...? She didn't throw away his favorite coffee mug for Pete's sake. Is that the best this writer can do?

"Maybe she thought that this campaign would have a happier ending"

"But anyone who has had cancer sometimes substitutes hope for facts. Maybe this was one of those cases."

38.gif

"From a political point of view: Where does it say that someone's marital transgressions make him, or her, less effective as a leader, or less capable of making good judgments?"

Catching a politician in this type of lie is always quite humorous, actually. I'd say having an affair while your wife is suffering from cancer is a good example of a bad judgment. And you can't exactly call the guy credible when he was making statements like this during the whole Lewinsky scandal:

"In 1999, when Edwards was a senator, he said of President Clinton and his affair with Monica Lewinsky: 'I think this president has shown a remarkable disrespect for his office, for the moral dimensions of leadership, for his friends, for his wife, for his precious daughter. It is breathtaking to me the level to which that disrespect has risen.'”

His own words. So I suppose 1999 Edwards wouldn't be too thrilled with the leadership of 200"6" Edwards.

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
i did not state an opinion. i posted a link to an article. i noted that perhaps the article gave insight into why some women might make the decisions they do.

i have not stated an opinion regarding the edwards: imo, its their business. now you do have an opinion from me.

please don't displace your anger at edwards onto me......especially, since i have not defended him or his behavior.

movie zombie

eta: i do admit to wishing that newt had been held to the same standard as edwards.

luckystar112

Ideal_Rock
MZ...sorry if you thought I was talking to "you". I was actually talking to the woman who wrote the article, and in a couple sentences a collective "you". Wasn''t trying to start an argument......sorry!
4.gif

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 8/14/2008 1:21:14 AM
Author: luckystar112
MZ...sorry if you thought I was talking to ''you''. I was actually talking to the woman who wrote the article, and in a couple sentences a collective ''you''. Wasn''t trying to start an argument......sorry!
4.gif
well, as you can see, i was typing as you were typing.......and i will admit to thinking the ''you'' was meant to be ''me''.

now that you''ve explained that it wasn''t meant to me personally
36.gif
, i retract my cold and abrupt response!
35.gif

movie zombie

LaraOnline

Ideal_Rock
bad behaviour, while not my business, can't be written off as simply only the immediate family's business... for a start, the general understanding is that if there's a bully in any situation, someone from outside the situation has to step in and say 'no'

I guess that when a presidential campaign is in full swing, that tendency gets blown up into stories and headlines... *eyeroll*

How can this situation be mrs edwards fault? Because a life-threatening illness put her husband under emotional pressure, leading him to embark on an ill-considered affair?

The real question is: Would he make similarly self-serving and irresponsible decisions when placed under pressure (from his government position)? and would that matter?
Gad, he's grandiose!

also, I'm wondering why sick people are always painted as living an entirely celibate, saintly (hair-shirt?) life, even when in remission.

my favourite quote from the article: 'especially when he's got a lot of testorone running through his veins...'
Is this writer serious?

But yes, Movie Zombie, this 'issue' ain't much about the policies, is it?

Isabelle

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 8/13/2008 8:14:49 PM
Author: miraclesrule
I just read a Newsweek article regarding the ''other woman''. Suffice it to say, she gives woman a bad name too. And astrology I might add. I love astrology and this girl makes it seem as kooky as she is. I can''t believe Edwards would allow himself to be seduced by this woman, and seduce him she did.

From what I hear she isn''t his first girlfriend while married. For me personally, one of the worst aspects of this whole thing is that he is sort of pathological in that he continues to lie even in the Nightline interview. Once he took the decision to give the interview, it was paramount that he simply tell the truth. But he seems to care more about his position, or keeping his assets undivided than he does about doing the right thing. He suspects that Elizabeth won''t be alive 2 years from now, and he probably wants to keep her from knowing the full truth so that she doesn''t divorce him and take half of the assets before she dies.--Obviously that would be in the mistress'' interests as well, which is why she doesn''t name him as the father. He made a fake offer to get a paternity test knowing that the mistress isn''t going to name him as the father and so he has no standing to demand one. --especially since he has publicly proclaimed that the affair ended 18 months before she even got pregnant. the mistress left the "name of father" line blank on the birth certificate giving her the ability to wait until Elizabeth has died to name him. It''s all revolting and being treated like a business deal instead of what it is. She and he are cut from the same cloth IMO. She probably felt Elizabeth''s "bad energy" b/c Elizabeth can see through a phony. Poor Elizabeth has a horrible choice to make, but I am sure she will stay "married" to the bastard for the sake of their young children. I doubt they will have much of a relationship beyond that though. But what I want to know is why is Edwards "okay" with the fact that he has a baby who has no father figure in her life? Why is willing to let this child spend her first year or two with no father in her life? He''s disgusting.

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 8/14/2008 6:21:02 AM
Author: LaraOnline

But yes, Movie Zombie, this ''issue'' ain''t much about the policies, is it?
true indeed!!!

well, we should just adjourn congress and let the cabinet go until we sort out this mess. all those congress critters that have committed adultry should be left out on the curb, along with my all time fav newt........of course, then, we''d never have had jfk as president or eisenhower for that matter. no roosevelt either. and of course there was that issue with justice thurmond and his interracial daughter. yes, i can see the point of all this: we must not allow our sense of government to interfer with our sensibilities and sense of a woman betrayed! yes, out with them i say! only those that have married and been entirely faithful their entire married life must be allowed to hold office! at this point that only leaves obama..........but i digress, i''m sure. back to the real issues: eisenhower, kennedy, et al. couldn''t be trusted politically because of their womanizing. i love a black and white world.
emsad.gif

while i understand a woman''s outrage [as i too am a woman], the nature of life is that powerful men through all of history have drawn women. what is happening today is nothing new. what is new is that we have a media willing to print personal information which wasn''t the case not that long ago. what happened in private was considered just that: private. now, though, we are flooded with media about the personal lives of these people and we get distracted and deflected from the real issues, the politics. an unfaithful husband or wife can be a very astute and good politician and effective working for the government and the people.

we americans do have a tendancy to cut our noses off to spite our faces......so be it. i will admit to not having much a vested interest in the topic because i do think it is between the edwards and none of my business. what is my business are the political issues and proposed and actual solutions.

movie zombie

ps however, in this day and age it is remarkable that anyone thinks they can pull off an affair and not have it written about......

vespergirl

Ideal_Rock
What a stupid thing for him to do - poor Elizabeth Edwards, first their son dying at a tragically young age, then dealing with terminal cancer, and now this idiocy. I feel sorry for her beyond words. How sad that she will soon die knowing that her husband was unfaithful to her in her time of need - I always thought that they had such a strong marriage, too. She is beyond classy to have handled this as well as she has.

And I used to like John Edwards, but this is despicable.

blushingbride

Brilliant_Rock
I love how he defends himself by saying that he cheated on her when she was in remission - like that's supposed to make us go, "Oh, OK - that makes it better!" What a moron!

What's even more horrifying is that he rekindled his relationship with Rielle Hunter after he confessed to Elizabeth about his affair - they apparently caught him w/ her at a hotel in Beverly Hills last month.

Madam Bijoux

Ideal_Rock
Premium
There are certain things that cross the boundaries of basic human decency. Cheating on a spouse with stage 4 cancer is one of them. He needs to take the $800 he would normally be spending on his next haircut and buy himself a conscience.

diamondfan

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 8/14/2008 3:26:37 PM
Author: blushingbride
I love how he defends himself by saying that he cheated on her when she was in remission - like that''s supposed to make us go, ''Oh, OK - that makes it better!'' What a moron!

What''s even more horrifying is that he rekindled his relationship with Rielle Hunter after he confessed to Elizabeth about his affair - they apparently caught him w/ her at a hotel in Beverly Hills last month.

Of well, what a classy guy. WHAT DOES HIS COMMENT EVEN MEAN? Oh, she was not actively ill then so I am a stand up kind of guy!

HollyS

Ideal_Rock
Date: 8/13/2008 10:29:30 PM
Author: movie zombie
the best i''ve read on this so far: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/jill-brooke/how-long-should-a-spouse_b_118678.html

movie zombie

ps if only newt had been disqualified from ever having another position in government because of his many affairs......
I don''t need the likes of Ms. Huffington (complete fool, no matter whether she feels like being left or right of center today) to address this issue with that lame nonsense. "How long should a spouse be celibate if their wife/husband is ill?" TIL DEATH DO US PART. That''s how long. Only self-involved, self-centered, narcissistic ''pieces of poo'' would cheat on their spouse because ''illness'' left their spouse uninterested or unable.

John Edwards is a creep. He would be a creep if he were Republican. As far as the average American is concerned, most of us would like to see politicians keep their damn pants zipped. For some inexplicable reason, they all seem to think they''re JFK. Especially if they''re a good-looking Democrat. Even JFK couldn''t be so cavalier today; it''s a different world.

And of course the child is his. You don''t fly ''cross country, meet up in a hotel, to see your ex-lover and her baby during the wee hours of the morning, hoping to avoid notice, unless it''s your kid. He''s stupid, but even he wouldn''t be that stupid. Just wait, the truth about whether she is receiving money (filtered through other sources, or not) will come to light.

HollyS

Ideal_Rock
Date: 8/14/2008 4:41:21 PM
Author: Madam Bijoux

There are certain things that cross the boundaries of basic human decency. Cheating on a spouse with stage 4 cancer is one of them. He needs to take the $800 he would normally be spending on his next haircut and buy himself a conscience.
You are always succinct, and usually hit your mark with dead-on accuracy. Bullseye!
9.gif

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I love the programs that FDR put into place. As a liberal Democrat, I feel that they made an inhumane world a trifle more humane. Many of us take for granted the protections that no one had even dreamt of before FDR, for instance FDIC, the notion that an individual's bank account might be insured by the federal government for up to $100,000.

FDR was a dreadful, mean son-of-a-gun to his wonderful wife, Eleanor, however. She never let him down. She was his "eyes and ears" during World War II, flying in freezing cold airplanes with only the amount of weight allotted to any other passenger-and her typewriter taking up most of that. She stood by him through thick and thin, knowing about his mistress for whom he abandoned her emotionally.

I can separate FDR the man who led our nation from FDR the scoundrel husband, although I remain aware that he was both things.

Deborah
34.gif

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
i'm surprise that a female politician haven't got caught with her dress down.

the Democrats are leading in the "caught with your pants down race" Spitzer, Gary Hart, Clinton,JFK, FDR, John Edwards,McCready. who else am i missing ?
hmmm.gif

HollyS

Ideal_Rock
Date: 8/16/2008 9:48:02 PM
Author: Dancing Fire
i''m surprise that a female politician haven''t got caught with her dress down.

the Democrats are leading in the ''caught with your pants down race'' Spitzer, Gary Hart, Clinton,JFK, FDR, John Edwards,McCready. who else am i missing ?
hmmm.gif
Women don''t think with their ______.
31.gif
9.gif

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 8/17/2008 1:22:00 AM
Author: HollyS

Date: 8/16/2008 9:48:02 PM
Author: Dancing Fire
i''m surprise that a female politician haven''t got caught with her dress down.

the Democrats are leading in the ''caught with your pants down race'' Spitzer, Gary Hart, Clinton,JFK, FDR, John Edwards,McCready. who else am i missing ?
hmmm.gif
Women don''t think with their ______.
31.gif
9.gif
b/c they don''t have one
25.gif

trillionaire

Ideal_Rock
It''s his kid. I feel bad for the staffer who is the "fall guy"

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results