shape
carat
color
clarity

Gourmets out there? Need some help with quinoa!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

akmiss

Brilliant_Rock
I tried a quinoa dish a couple of weeks ago and loved it! It was kinda middle eastern (but could have been latin!) and just wonderful. I told my FI to buy some at the store so I could replicate it but alas, he bought it in bulk! No recipes or directions. I suppose I could do some research online but I wanted ask my fellow PSers first! Thanks for any advice
1.gif

sumbride

Ideal_Rock
It''s 1 cup water to 1 cup quinoa, like cous cous. Just be sure to rinse rinse rinse rinse rinse it! Quinoa has a bitter coating to protect it from birds, so it will take multiple washings to clean it before you cook it.

My preferred method of cooking is to steam it. I boil it in salted water for about 5-10 minutes, and then put it in a mesh colander over a pot of boiling water with a towel draped over it. I cook it like that until it is light and fluffy. It''s kind of a pain to do it, but it cooks it perfectly and if you make a lot at once you can bag and freeze portions of it for quick dishes later on.

akmiss

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks Sumbride, I will try that! And ChargerGrrl, that lemon basil dressing sounds delicious!

lovegem

Shiny_Rock
Quinoa has a bitter coating to protect it from birds, so it will take multiple washings to clean it before you cook it.

Really? I make organic quinoa for my pet birds, but I always wash it at least 3 times. I''ve tried them myself, kinda sweet. I am not sure the sweet is the from the corn that mixed in or from the quinoa itself.

sunkist

Ideal_Rock
Hmm, I cooked it just like rice - 2 water to 1 rice, or quinoa in this case. Less water if you rinse it of course. I also like to then mix it with rice.

eta: ooo, Charger that recipe looks tastey. I think I'll try it tonight! Thanks!

sumbride

Ideal_Rock
Oh Sunkist, you''re right... 2 cups water to 1 cup quinoa. I steam it most of the time, but I just looked it up and wanted to clear it up!

LoveGem - the bitter coating is called saponin. Do you buy yours at a pet store or just the grocery? I''m thinking if it''s marketed for birds it''s probably already rinsed, but either way, rinsing is a good idea. Here''s all you ever wanted to know about quinoa! Wiki

absolut_blonde

Brilliant_Rock
I love quinoa! It''s one of those things that tastes good leftover, too.

My fave way to prepare it is to chop up fresh tomatoes, garlic and spinach. Saute in olive oil, and serve over the quinoa with crumbled feta. I would imagine goat cheese could work, too, but you''d need a goat cheese on the more crumbly side.

You can also do the sweet thing with it and serve it with raisins, chopped walnuts, some cinnamon, etc. Actually, that would be good with some curry added too... mmm.

lovegem

Shiny_Rock
Sumbride, I bought the quinoa from the grocery stores. From the wiki source "Most quinoa sold commercially in North America has been processed to remove this coating (saponin)." The quinoa I got seems to be pretty white, so I am hoping the coating has been removed. Just to be sure, I will cook plain quinoa next time see if there is any bitter taste in it. Thanks for your info.

Gemma12

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 7/18/2008 3:26:07 PM
Author: absolut_blonde

My fave way to prepare it is to chop up fresh tomatoes, garlic and spinach. Saute in olive oil, and serve over the quinoa with crumbled feta. I would imagine goat cheese could work, too, but you''d need a goat cheese on the more crumbly side.

You can also do the sweet thing with it and serve it with raisins, chopped walnuts, some cinnamon, etc. Actually, that would be good with some curry added too... mmm.
Ooh, that sounds yum!

I am lazy and make quinoa in my rice cooker. I use 2 c water to 1 c quinoa and rinse it first, the substitute it for rice, couscous, etc with casseroles. My fav is Quinoa with Moroccan Hope you enjoy it-I love quinoa!

akmiss

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 7/20/2008 4:39:19 AM
Author: Gemma12

Date: 7/18/2008 3:26:07 PM
Author: absolut_blonde

Ooh, that sounds yum!

I am lazy and make quinoa in my rice cooker. I use 2 c water to 1 c quinoa and rinse it first, the substitute it for rice, couscous, etc with casseroles. My fav is Quinoa with Moroccan Hope you enjoy it-I love quinoa!
Oh, I am going to try the rice cooker trick! Thanks for the tip.

tenfour

Shiny_Rock
the lemon basil recipe sounds so good. i''m going to try that one tomorrow.

here is another great one for quinoa with mango and curried yogurt:

http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/QUINOA-WITH-MANGO-AND-CURRIED-YOGURT-108112

katebar

Brilliant_Rock
I live on this stuff since I gave up wheat. I usually use the red one and cook it in vegtable stock. I then add vegtables like peas spring onions some nuts. Also seasame oil and a good shake of soy taste great.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results