shape
carat
color
clarity

John Edwards Affair and Possible Love Child

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

luckystar112

Ideal_Rock
20.gif

I feel so bad for his wife.

Is he a complete idiot though? Did he not think that this would come out eventually. He was running for President! If he stole some a couple grapes from the produce section of the grocery store when he was nine America would find out about it.
Ironically, the National Enquirer had a lot to do with him fessing up!

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,400481,00.html

Will you be watching nightline tonight?

Elmorton

Ideal_Rock
This really disappointed me, too.

WishfulThinking

Brilliant_Rock
It''s Spitzer Meltdown v. 2.0

For the second time in only a few months my heart has been literally SMASHED by two politicians I deeply supported and cared about. To me, it makes it even worse that Elizabeth is dying of cancer right now, and that their children are so very young. I doubt the other kid is his, though, for the record.

I don''t think that politicians'' personal lives should be up for grabs, but this is a country in which they are, and in which, ESPECIALLY if you are a Democrat, an extramarital affair will end your political career. The same rules do not seem to apply over the fence with numerous examples, but that''s not what the discussion here is about.

Is there anyone in politics we can actually trust? It''s so disappointing.

LAJennifer

Ideal_Rock
Date: 8/8/2008 4:54:14 PM
Author: WishfulThinking
It''s Spitzer Meltdown v. 2.0

For the second time in only a few months my heart has been literally SMASHED by two politicians I deeply supported and cared about. To me, it makes it even worse that Elizabeth is dying of cancer right now, and that their children are so very young. I doubt the other kid is his, though, for the record.

I don''t think that politicians'' personal lives should be up for grabs, but this is a country in which they are, and in which, ESPECIALLY if you are a Democrat, an extramarital affair will end your political career. The same rules do not seem to apply over the fence with numerous examples, but that''s not what the discussion here is about.

Is there anyone in politics we can actually trust? It''s so disappointing.
No.

Elmorton

Ideal_Rock
I think to be in politics, you have to have to be a complete narcissist. No normal person would believe that they are competent to run a county, state, or country. So I don''t find it at all surprising that politicians have affairs...but I do find it repulsive and pathetic. I agree, it''s so sad for Elizabeth Edwards...she''s an amazing woman, and I love hearing when she''s interviewed. Sad all around.

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
Is she actually dying from cancer? I thought she was in remission?

Elmorton

Ideal_Rock
Basically dying? She was in remission, it came back, and she decided not to do chemo, but rather is doing an "alternative therapy" (medication?) that she wouldn''t name, because she didn''t want other women to go to their doctors and say that they wanted what "Elizabeth Edwards is on" since the medication is experiemental and there is no/little/inconclusive evidence that it works.

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
Ah. Thanks El.

Apparently I''m not up to date on my political news. However, I do think Paris has become more interesting.

Elmorton

Ideal_Rock
wait.. Hilton? I really want to see her campaign ad spoof, actually. And I kinda wonder if the Hiltons (McCain supporters) are no longer giving $$$...wow, I think I''m officially less intelligent on the day my Us Weekly comes in the mail (that would be today). :)

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
Yes Hilton. Apparently her mom was POed that she was included in McCain''s ad against Obama.

I think that Paris totally gained some credibility for doing it. I know I no longer think of her as a complete waste of space anymore after seeing it.

Link to Paris video at funnyordie.com

WishfulThinking

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 8/8/2008 5:01:39 PM
Author: FrekeChild
Is she actually dying from cancer? I thought she was in remission?
I believe she has a form that can't be cured. She is being treated, but I think that she is dying, yes. I am kind of OBSESSED with her [if I could vote for her for president I would!
30.gif
] so I follow her pretty closely.

Elmorton: I agree. Definitely full of narcissists. Elizabeth is one of my favourite people "in politics," even though she is not technically a political figure. She is such a strong, articulate person, and has done a lot of good in her life.

ETA: Beat me to it! I was typing as you responded. :)

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
Does anyone know what stage she''s at?

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Even though I was not an Edward''s supporter politically, I really admired their family. I think this is devastating for Mrs. Edwards at this point when she is fighting for her life. Men like that make me sick. What was he thinking???!!! And no, I do not care what side they are on. McCain''s leaving his first wife was disgusting, too, as far as I am concerned. For those who think private life and public life have nothing to do with each other, I''ll respectfully disagree. It has everything to do with integrity. If you can''t be faithful to your own wife, then how can anyone trust you period?

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
Apparently it''s stage 4 with spots on her rib and possibly her lung. And possibly on her hip (determined by a bone scan).

icekid

Ideal_Rock
absolutely disgusting.

Of course, I''ve always strongly strongly disliked this man, being a doctor. This is a man who made his fortune suing physicians. Cases that were clearly without merit. So... for me, I can''t say I''m that surprised by someone who made a career out of taking innocent doctors to court.

Date: 8/8/2008 5:00:07 PM
Author: Elmorton
I think to be in politics, you have to have to be a complete narcissist. No normal person would believe that they are competent to run a county, state, or country. So I don''t find it at all surprising that politicians have affairs...but I do find it repulsive and pathetic. I agree, it''s so sad for Elizabeth Edwards...she''s an amazing woman, and I love hearing when she''s interviewed. Sad all around.
I absolutely agree Elmorton. Catch-22... the only people who seek out these positions are giant a-holes. I''ve yet to find a legitimate candidate that I can support.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 8/8/2008 6:42:29 PM
Author: icekid
absolutely disgusting.

Of course, I''ve always strongly strongly disliked this man, being a doctor. This is a man who made his fortune suing physicians. Cases that were clearly without merit. So... for me, I can''t say I''m that surprised by someone who made a career out of taking innocent doctors to court.

I absolutely agree Elmorton. Catch-22... the only people who seek out these positions are giant a-holes. I''ve yet to find a legitimate candidate that I can support.
I have heard this before about how he made his fortune. He came from a middle class family not a wealthy one.

I just read his statement that he told his wife and family the truth about this a long time ago. So at least in that respect, he dealt with it privately so that his family did not have to find out in the media today. Still sickening, but at least his wife was spared finding out in the headlines.

LAJennifer

Ideal_Rock
Date: 8/8/2008 7:09:51 PM
Author: diamondseeker2006

absolutely disgusting.

I have heard this before about how he made his fortune. He came from a middle class family not a wealthy one.

I just read his statement that he told his wife and family the truth about this a long time ago. So at least in that respect, he dealt with it privately so that his family did not have to find out in the media today. Still sickening, but at least his wife was spared finding out in the headlines.
I''m not sure I''m buying that. If he dealt with it long ago, then what was he doing having a secret meeting in a hotel, across the country, with his "former fling" (that he didn''t love) and her child (that isn''t his)?

luckystar112

Ideal_Rock
absolutely disgusting.

Totally agree. To me he has always been the epitome of a self-serving politician, in it for the prestige rather than the people.

style="WIDTH: 99%; HEIGHT: 99px">

Date:
8/8/2008 5:00:07 PM
Author: Elmorton

Seriously. How ARROGANT do you have to be to run for the presidency while cheating on your dying wife! The Dem''s are lucky that he didn''t win the nomination. Could you imagine?

As for whether or not he is the father of the baby, I guess only time will tell. I find it completely odd that he was caught meeting his mistress in a hotel room WITH the baby (there are even pictures of him holding the baby) even though the affair was supposedly over in 2007.
On top of that, he''s claiming that he never paid her to remain quiet, instead saying that if she was paid anything the money probably "came from his supporters". This guy probably kisses a photograph of himself at night.
14.gif

Elmorton

Ideal_Rock
I''ve just been catching snippets all day, but from what I understand, another campaign staffer claims that he is the father and the woman was on Edwards'' staff - while that doesn''t really provide a full explanation of why he was in a hotel holding the woman''s baby, it could be a piece of the puzzle - the "real father" of the kid is likely a friend if he''s a staffer.

Also...I think the affair was prior to Elizabeth''s cancer coming out of remission, which if I remember right was either before or right after his announcing running for pres. Not that it makes the affair better, but I don''t think he was exactly "cheating on his dying wife" at that point.

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
Can I say that using the term *dying* here is bothering me? It seems like it''s being used for emphasis or sensationalism instead of really describing the facts. Yes she has stage 4 cancer, but she''s attempting treatments to control the cancer.

This is a very sensitive topic for me because my own mom IS dying from cancer, and she''s on chemo exclusively to try to have more time. There is NO hope for her. It is literally a matter of time.

When Elizabeth Edwards has lost a third of her body weight, is on an oxygen tank, her skin is hanging off of her, and she''s a general shell of her former self, THEN you can use the term dying.

Elmorton

Ideal_Rock
Freke, I didn''t mean to be insensitive in that way. You''re 100% right - when I caucused for Edwards, I often had to remind friends/family that Elizabeth Edwards has always been adamant that she is LIVING the life she wants to have and that a person shouldn''t deprive her husband of their vote because they feel that the Edwards fam should act differently in response to her cancer.

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
It''s ok, El. I just wanted to say something before it gets totally blow out of proportion. I mean, you can legitimately say that everyone is dying, just at different rates, but I think in this case, people are pulling out the stops to make it sound like she''s on death''s door. Which she''s not, thankfully.

I think dying and I think of hospice care/medical machines/frailty/active signs of the end of life coming quickly. From what I can tell, she''s doing pretty well so far, and really doesn''t exhibit any outward signs of *dying*. From what I can tell, she looks pretty healthy to me.

And I mention it, of course, because I''m uber sensitive to it.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Freke, she really is dying, though. I watched the press conference with her doctor when they found out the cancer had returned. They didn''t specify a time line, but there were definite indications that it was beyond treatment. I certainly understand the differentiation with the final weeks and days, however.

trillionaire

Ideal_Rock
I thought that Elizabeth looked thinner and less robust, FWIW, but I am not sure I would say "dying" at this point.

At any rate, I liked Edwards, though I am not surprised by this affair. People in politics are constantly disappointing. I guess I am most appalled that he would have an affair RIGHT before he announced his candidacy for president. How selfishly reckless and irresponsible. If he HAD been the candidate, it would have been a national travesty for the democratic party. If he had joined an Obama/Edwards ticket, it would have been devastating. I really can''t believe that he could say he was out for the little guy, when he was willing to jeopardize the stakes of the entire democratic presidential nominee process just for self glorification. I''m not even saying that he couldn''t have done good things as the president or Veep, just that he should NOT have run in his circumstance.

And I am in NC. I am pretty outraged, I have seen him speak, and students at UNC, where he started a Poverty Center, look up to him.

For the record, I think McCain''s treatment of his first wife qualifies as equally despicable as well. I am really hoping that Barack Obama is not an idiot like these other clowns.
20.gif

Character is a dime a dozen these days.
38.gif
It makes me really thankful for my SO.

miraclesrule

Ideal_Rock
((((((((((((((((((((((((( Freke )))))))))))))))))))))<------ the biggest hug ever!!

I am still uber sensitive when it comes to my Dad too! My heart goes out to you. Life is inexplicable.

I was going to say the same line you did "Everyone is Dying" because I agree that it is being used to further infame the situation.

I have no doubt that John Edwards did go to his wife and did divulge the affair and that he did ask her for forgiveness.

IMO, it gives him 1 brownie point. But that won't get him out of the red with me. He's toast and he knows it. You know what also bugs me about these situations? The people who are so quick to betray their fellow human by agreeing to engage in an affair with someone who is married. It's one thing not to know ala Amber of Lacy and Scoot Peterson fame, but another to knowingly and intentionally engage in an affair with a married person, especially one who's spouse is battling cancer???? Blech...that woman has no shame, nor pride.

I am simply dismayed, yet again, at the lack of personl integrity in our politicians. I didn't vote for Edwards, but I sure didn't expect this out of him.

Rank Amateur

Brilliant_Rock
None of us should be surprised by this. With Clinton setting the example for the Dems the collective feeling ought to be "so what?"

The usual line is that poor personal judgement doesn''t translate into poor political judgement.

luckystar112

Ideal_Rock
Apparently his mistress is not allowing a paternity test to be done.
20.gif

I smell hush money!

bebe

Ideal_Rock
Edwards arrogance is pathetic to me.

Ha, what a narcissist for saying it was a narcissist thing to do. (have the affair)
He thinks that explains it!! Just blame it on a personality disorder.

allycat0303

Ideal_Rock
I don''t follow politics and I usually have a REALLY cynical view of relationships (I think practically every man cheats...I know, I know) but I was really surprised at this. I just thought that after his son died, and she had cancer, if their relationship survived these blows, then they MUST love each other. And how she knew she had it in the past and delayed treatment because of his campaign. I admit, I wondered about that. I can''t imagine my fiance saying "Yes honey, delay potentially life saving therapy so I can continue with my campaign" I always thought she was a too self-sacrificing, but I assumed she loved him THAT much, then he has to have redeeming qualities.

miraclesrule

Ideal_Rock
I just read a Newsweek article regarding the "other woman". Suffice it to say, she gives woman a bad name too. And astrology I might add. I love astrology and this girl makes it seem as kooky as she is. I can''t believe Edwards would allow himself to be seduced by this woman, and seduce him she did.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results