shape
carat
color
clarity

Waiting to TTC...

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

gailrmv

Ideal_Rock
DD, my DH bought that book and I haven't read it yet - I had to read the chapter on names when you mentioned it! Fascinating! I cannot IMAGINE Marie-Claire catching on widespread, can anyone else? To me it will always be a magazine!

Meet my daughters, Elle, Marie Claire, and Vogue...I can see it now.

This was interesting, and I hope it doesn't offend anyone but this information was in Freakonomics and backed up by their research:

The boy's name with the lowest years of maternal education (by far): Jesus.

gailrmv

Ideal_Rock
Funny, I just saw my name as last post and I was like HUH? I didn''t post about waiting to TTC! Then I realized how much this thread has changed from its original topic!

so cal girl

Shiny_Rock
I just came upon this thread. I know I am a little late, but I wanted to add my story to the list.

First of all, DH and I have only been married for two months. We have been together about three years, and we were thinking we''d like to be married for a year before we started TTC. I am 27 and he is 33 right now. I want to have my first child before I turn 30, and I figured that gave us plenty of time.

Somehow, once I got married, that whole plan seemed to go out the window for me. I don''t know what happened, but all of sudden I want to have a baby NOW. It is so weird because I always had it in my mind that I would not start having children until I was closer to 30. It was actually my idea for us to wait a while before having kids, because I wanted us to have more time together just the two of us before a baby took over our lives. But the biological clock has start ticking VERY loudly.

I guess there are a lot of things that factor into this for me. First of all, it seems like everyone around me is having a baby. I know that is not the reason to want to have children right now, but seeing them with their babies has seemed to waken that maternal instinct in me. It''s funny. I have definitely been described as "not maternal". I''m not sure if that is due to lack of patience or what. But my best friend recently had a baby (five days after my wedding to be exact, and she still stood up as my bridesmaid. what a friend!), and i just can''t get enough of him. My friend''s mom even commented that she suspects that I will be having a baby soon, based on the way I am with him.

DH doesn''t seem to be as interested in the idea. He thinks that his life will totally be over when we have children. I know that our lives will change drastictly, but I think that we are ready. We both have good jobs, we own a home in a nice neighborhood, and both sets of our parents live close by and will be able to help out. All of these things will still be true next year, so I can understand waiting. I guess the impatience I mentioned before is starting to rear it''s ugly head!

Also, do any of you worry that you will have problems TTC? I guess that is one of the other reasons I feel like I want to get a start on this. I have been on BC since I was 18, due to irregular cycles, and I am worried it will take me a good amount of time to get pregnant. In addition, my sister has been trying for a year with no success. They haven''t had any tests yet to see what the problem is, but I have convinced myself that I am going to have similar issues. DH is convinced that we will get pregnant the second I go off BC, but I just don''t see that as realistic.

Okay, this has been kind of long and rambling. Just trying to get things off my chest, I guess!

AmberWaves

Ideal_Rock
I''m in no way Waiting to TTC (ha!), but I just saw the Freakanomic''s thing on my name- Amber. My parents aren''t low education! They were just hippies!
23.gif

Sha

Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/30/2008 5:24:49 PM
Author: so cal girl
I just came upon this thread. I know I am a little late, but I wanted to add my story to the list.

First of all, DH and I have only been married for two months. We have been together about three years, and we were thinking we'd like to be married for a year before we started TTC. I am 27 and he is 33 right now. I want to have my first child before I turn 30, and I figured that gave us plenty of time.

Somehow, once I got married, that whole plan seemed to go out the window for me. I don't know what happened, but all of sudden I want to have a baby NOW. It is so weird because I always had it in my mind that I would not start having children until I was closer to 30. It was actually my idea for us to wait a while before having kids, because I wanted us to have more time together just the two of us before a baby took over our lives. But the biological clock has start ticking VERY loudly.

I guess there are a lot of things that factor into this for me. First of all, it seems like everyone around me is having a baby. I know that is not the reason to want to have children right now, but seeing them with their babies has seemed to waken that maternal instinct in me. It's funny. I have definitely been described as 'not maternal'. I'm not sure if that is due to lack of patience or what. But my best friend recently had a baby (five days after my wedding to be exact, and she still stood up as my bridesmaid. what a friend!), and i just can't get enough of him. My friend's mom even commented that she suspects that I will be having a baby soon, based on the way I am with him.

DH doesn't seem to be as interested in the idea. He thinks that his life will totally be over when we have children. I know that our lives will change drastictly, but I think that we are ready. We both have good jobs, we own a home in a nice neighborhood, and both sets of our parents live close by and will be able to help out. All of these things will still be true next year, so I can understand waiting. I guess the impatience I mentioned before is starting to rear it's ugly head!

Also, do any of you worry that you will have problems TTC? I guess that is one of the other reasons I feel like I want to get a start on this. I have been on BC since I was 18, due to irregular cycles, and I am worried it will take me a good amount of time to get pregnant. In addition, my sister has been trying for a year with no success. They haven't had any tests yet to see what the problem is, but I have convinced myself that I am going to have similar issues. DH is convinced that we will get pregnant the second I go off BC, but I just don't see that as realistic.

Okay, this has been kind of long and rambling. Just trying to get things off my chest, I guess!

I hear you on the baby fever. My DH pretty much feels the same way, about a baby taking over everything. We've almost been married a year, and hopefully will be trying by our anniversary. We're a little bit older, too, so my preference would be for us to get started as soon as possible. It's really hard to wait when you feel the clock ticking away, and seeing everyone with babies really doesn't make it any easier.
8.gif
Where I live it seems like every 21-year old is pregnant or already has a child.

So will you stick to your original plan or do you think your DH will come around to TTCing now? I think it's good to have at least six months - a year together as a couple, to enjoy married life - but I guess it depends on your personal readiness as well. It sounds like you have a pretty comfortable lifestyle at the moment, which is a good thing. Hopefully you won't have any fertility issues. I think, though, being 27, you probably have a little time to play with, even if you guys decided to wait a year, and even if things take a little longer than you would prefer. Just my 2 cents.

1.gif

Independent Gal

Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/30/2008 5:24:49 PM
Author: so cal girl

Also, do any of you worry that you will have problems TTC? I guess that is one of the other reasons I feel like I want to get a start on this. I have been on BC since I was 18, due to irregular cycles, and I am worried it will take me a good amount of time to get pregnant. In addition, my sister has been trying for a year with no success. They haven''t had any tests yet to see what the problem is, but I have convinced myself that I am going to have similar issues. DH is convinced that we will get pregnant the second I go off BC, but I just don''t see that as realistic.

About this: nearly everyone around here worried they would have problems TTC. That is a very normal fear. If you have been on BCP since you were 18, you may go off it only to find that your cycles are completely normal now. Your body at 18 is NOT like your body now! I know lots of people who had wonky teenage cycles who grew up to be regular as clockwork women. If you are worried, I suggest you go off BCP for a few months and use fertilityfriend.com to plot your cycles. That way, you''ll know whether you''re ovulating and whether there''s anything to worry about. That will put your mind at rest, plus teach you about your body in the meantime.

Just remember that it will take your body a few cycles to go back to it''s ''normal'' cycle. You can still get pregnant in the meantime though!!! In fact, some research suggests you''re more likely to get pregnant, right off BCP.

And having irregular cycles does NOT mean you will take a long time to get pregnant! You just have to be smarter about it: learn the signals your body sends pre-ovulation, and get busy regularly! As long as you''re ovulating and your luteal phase is 10 days or more, it doesn''t really matter how long your cycles are!

Re your sister, has she been charting? Does she know whether she''s ovulating and whether she''s been getting busy during her fertile window? Sometimes, it''s just a matter of really knowing what''s going on in there!

Oh, and I''m an old lady (past 30), and I DID get pregnant my first cycle without b.control! With TWINS! What a shocker! So you never know.

32.gif

so cal girl

Shiny_Rock
Sha - Yeah, what is it with all the young people having babies?! Two of the girls I know that are pregnant/just had a baby are 24. One girl that is currently pregnant is only 20! I don''t envy their positions, I never would have been ready for a baby at 24, but it makes me feel like an old woman.

I think DH will be pretty firm on the waiting a year thing. If anything, I think he''ll try and put it off even longer. After going on our honeymoon, he has decided he wants us to go on more vacations. Which is funny, because in the three years we have been together, vacations have not been a big thing for us. I traveled quite a bit before we met, and since we bought the house, we don''t have a ton of extra cash for those sorts of things. Oh, and he HATES to fly! So we''ll see if this vacation thing ever even pans out. But he is convinced that we are going to start vacationing all the time now, and a baby will disrupt that.

Indy - I am hoping I am just being paranoid about having problems TTC. I know a lot of people have that fear. It does make it more real since my sister is currently having problems, but her problems may not even be because of her. Her husband''s brother also had problems with fertility issues, so it may be something on his side. And I have no clue if she has been tracking her ovulation cycles. We are not that close, so I don''t really feel comfortable talking to her about things like that.

I am thinking of going off BC a couple of months before we start TTC, and just use condoms until we are ready, just to see what my cycle is like. I think DH would not want me to go off BC without some sort of backup until he is absolutely ready, since he is convinced we will get pregnant right away. My mom has told him she got pregnant with me the month she went off the pill, and his brother''s wife got pregnant the month they started trying as well (she is one of the 24 year olds). Who knows what will happen with me.

Funny about the twin thing. Do twins run in your family? My husband is a twin, and he thinks being a twin is the greatest thing ever. He would love for us to have twins, although it is supposed to come from the maternal side. My mom said there is some evidence of twinning on our side of the family (extra internal organs and finger/toes in grandmother''s family), but no actual twins that I can recall. So we''ll see wat happens!

Independent Gal

Ideal_Rock
Socal, it''s a very good idea to go off BCP a few months before TTC so that you can get a sense of your cycles. Knowing THAT you ovulated, and how long your luteal phase is, is extremely helpful if you don''t get pregnant, and knowing WHEN you ovulated, is extremely useful if you do get pregnant! My cubs are measuring about 8 days behind, and if I didn''t know that I had ovulated late, we would early on have assumed that something had gone wrong and they weren''t viable. So it is a very good thing to know and understand what''s going on in there when you''re TTC!

And yeah, your hubby is right, you may well get pregnant on the first go so be careful. Happened to T''Gal! Happened to me! Happened to Erica K, too! So use back-up protection until you''re really ready.

Is your DH an identical twin or fraternal? My great-grandmother was a twin, but ours are identical, and apparently that is not very strongly geneticly linked. Lots of twins love being twins! I think it will be great for them if they both make it. Knock wood!

A year will fly by. Why not ask yourself what YOU would like to do now, that you couldn''t do or not as easily when a baby comes? Want to visit Peru and see Macchu Pichu? How about learning to sky dive? Or taking piano lessons? Or writing a book? Maybe if you think of a project that you would like to do over the next year, it will go faster, and you''ll be glad that you got to do it.
35.gif

Or, how about asking for a slight compromise? Say, TTC 9 months from now? That gives you 18 months at the minimum before you have a baby.

so cal girl

Shiny_Rock
Indy - Where did you find information about figuring out when you''re ovulating and when your luteal phase is? I don''t even know what a luteal phase is!

My husband is genetically identical, although they don''t look exactly the same anymore. Do you ever worry you won''t be able to tell your twins apart? DH has a birthmark on his chin that allowed my MIL to tell them apart as babies. But if she looks back at pictures of them as kids, she can sometimes not tell which was which! The only way my husband can even tell which one is himself is by remembering which set of clothes he had.

I''m sure it is fun being a twin, but I''m not sure how much fun it would be to be a parent of one. Especially when I think of DH and his brother as children. They were red-headed, freckled-face, trouble makers. Oh, and did I mention that they were 7 and 1/2 lbs at birth, EACH! That means his mother had about 15 lbs of baby inside of her at the end. I can''t even imagine!

You''re right, I''m sure a year will fly by quickly. A project to keep me occupied may be a good idea. I just haven''t figured out what yet. I finished my masters about two weeks before my wedding, so with no more school and no more wedding planning, I do need to come up with some sort of hobby to keep me busy.

We''ll see if my husband sticks with waiting a whole year. His twin just had a baby, and he keeps asking to see pictures. Not sure if he is warming to the idea of children or not. We''ll have to wait and see.

erica k

Brilliant_Rock
Hehehe...Um yeah, I highly recommend using protection unless you''re ok with ''surprises''! The few friends I''ve told so far (I haven''t made a formal announcement to our friends yet) tell me that having a baby 3 months earlier than desired is fine, but when 3 months equals summer break versus spring semester, it really makes a difference. I''m coping as best I can, but it (shockingly!) took only ONE time for me to get pregnant because believe me, the other times were protected. Obviously you can''t plan things perfectly, and maybe it''ll take you 6-12 months to conceive, but it''s so important to know that you''re both ready emotionally, financially, and career-wise. Everyone has a different idea of what ''ready'' means, so it''s up to you to figure out what works best.

As for a hobby, I highly recommend NOT diamonds
9.gif
. No, seriously, I really started getting into baking this past year. It''s so satisfying to make pretty cookies and cakes. The best part is, I have zero desire to eat whatever I bake, so everything is given away. This obviously makes me the most popular person on campus!
16.gif

Haven

Super_Ideal_Rock
I''m not waiting to TTC, but I''m thinking about it . . . so cal girl, I can really relate to your post. We were just married on the 4th, I''m 27 and hubby is 38, and we talked about waiting 2 or more years to TTC. Well, at some point on our honeymoon I suddenly just felt like I was pregnant. I had no reason to think that, I just felt it, can''t explain it. I told hubby, of course, and at first I was really worried about the prospect of having a child. And then after thinking about it for a while, it started to feel okay, and now I think I don''t want to wait that long at all. I''m not sure I want to get pregnant right away, but I wouldn''t be upset if I did.

I''m fairly certain I''m not really pregnant, but that feeling was just a few weeks ago so I suppose it''s still a possibility. I have no idea why that happened, I''ve never been pregnant or close to it before, it was so incredibly odd. Perhaps I''m insane, not preggo!

On another note, that name information and how it''s linked to socioeconomic status is really interesting. I have to say that I feel like the super trendy names always sound more lower-class to me, as opposed to classic names.

When I have children to name, though, I''m certainly not going to worry about where it falls on those lists. We''ll just find a name we love that will be a solid name for a child and adult.

Independent Gal

Ideal_Rock
socal, I didn't know a gosh darned thing about any of this three months ago either! I learned about it all mostly through using fertilityfriend.com. Basically, here's how your body works. Your basal body temperature (bbt) is your temperature first thing in the morning, before you stand up, talk, or do anything at all. AFTER (and that's important) you ovulate, your body produces more progesterone. Progesterone raises your body temperature by .2-.5 (usually) degrees F. If you get pregnant, you stay warmer for the whole 9 months to help incubate the fetus. Anyway, so, if you take your bbt with a special thermometer ($10 or so at any drugstore) every morning, first thing when you get up, at exactly the same time, and before you do anything else,and plot those temperatures on a chart (you can do this electronically on fertilityfriend) then you will see a clear 'biphasic'(two level) pattern if you are ovulating. Your temperature will probably move around a bit, but once you see a sustained rise in your temperature, you know that you ovulated. It's pretty obvious with most peoples' chart once you see it. Because you only know AFTER you ovulated, and you can only get pregnant the few days before and the of ovulation, it helps to watch for other signs too. The few days BEFORE you ovulate, your cervical mucous (sorry, I know it's gross! but believe, me, everything to do with being pregnant is even grosser!) changes its consistency. It starts out sticky/tacky at the beginning of the cycle, then gets clearer and stretchier. When it's watery or resembles egg whites, then you're about to ovulate. So keep track of that can help you figure out when to get it on too! That's your warning sign BEFORE you ovulate.

The luteal phase is the period between ovulation and the end of your cycle (aka Aunt Flo). It's called that because during this phase you release a hormone called 'luteinizing hormone' or something like that, which gets your body ready for possible egg implantation. You need a luteal phase of 10-16 days, ideally, for your body to be able to host a pregnancy. If it's shorter, that's something easy to fix, you just need to know it's shorter in order to fix it! Knowing your luteal phase also lets you know when to test for pregnancy. So, if yours is 12 days, you can test 12 days after ovulation, instead of waiting 14. See?

I highly suggest that you get your hands on the book "Taking Charge of Your Fertility" or else visit fertilityfriend.com and learn about all this stuff. It's actually super interesting! And knowing how it works WILL get you pregnant faster (unless you're just getting it on everyday!) because otherwise, unless you're regular as clockwork, you may not know when it's important not to 'miss the window'. More than 95% of pregnancies result from getting it on the two days before, or the day of ovulation. So, it's a tight window!

Hope that helps!

Independent Gal

Ideal_Rock
Oh yeah, and about the twin thing, we're a little worried about having super-rambunctious boys x 2 as well! In terms of telling them apart, yeah I'm worried about that! I was told that a smart thing is to paint the toenail of one of the kids so that you know which is which. This only works until they can put their feet in their mouths, and then obviously you don't want them chomping on the nail polish.
18.gif

applequeen

Shiny_Rock
Date: 6/4/2008 10:24:31 PM
Author:Sha
Anybody else waiting to TTC? I see peonygirl and Pandora are... I''m also HOPING to try within the next three months or so (first anniversary), fingers crossed. Actually, I''m ready now, but still waiting for DH to get on board.
8.gif
I don''t feel like we have much time, though.... I''ll be 32 this month and DH turned 40 last month. I wish we could just get started now already, especially since we don''t know how long it''ll take.

(sigh...!) I''m lurking on Baby boards all day and reading everyone else''s stories to pass the time. Had a preconception visit already, and am just trying to eat healthier and lose about 5 pounds before TTC. I rejoined the gym today, actually.
16.gif
That''s about all I''m doing to prepare... and taking my folic acid too, of course.

It''s still hard waiting, though...
8.gif

Anybody else in this boat? What are you doing to prepare/pass the time?
Boy do I understand!!! My husband and I have been married almost a year and a half and lately it seems all our conversations end up with the "baby timeline talk". We decided last year that we would start trying in Oct (after my 31 birthday). When I went for my annual gyno appt. in May I asked my Dr. if there were any special tests or anything that I needed before we started TTC. He told me NO (so no preconception visit for me apparently)... that I was a healthy young woman and that a couple of months before I was ready to start trying to call him and he would prescribe some prenatal vitamins for me to start taking.

Now it seems like every month I HATE the idea of starting a new pack of pills. Everywhere I look I see my friends having babies (heck... my high school friends all have kids in school (the oldest is 11!!!!). My husband and I have talked about me going ahead and getting the prenatals just in case we do decide one Saturday night to not start a new pack the next Sunday
1.gif
It seems like it''s the only thing on my mind lately. When I hear that someone is pregnant I have this surge of jealousy. I hate walking by the baby section of Target because it just makes me wish I had a reason to shop there.

Here are some of the issues we''re considering (sort of pros and cons)

- I''ll be 31 and we want to have at least 2 kids (I married a younger man so he''s a few years younger than me... but has always wanted kids so he''s totally on board)
- We just bought a house that we''re still remodeling (so time and $ are going to that)
- He may be contemplating a career change in the next year or so (which would talke all his free time BUT.. if we''re going to have children then it''s going to be an issue no matter when we do it)
- We are in a decent financial state... we can pay all our bills and still save good amount (a minimum of 25% of our take home... could do more) each month.. but lately that''s less because of the house.

I could go on and on but you get the point.

Here''s the weird thing... I said for years that I didn''t want kids (I have NO experience with babies or children) but once I got married everything changed completely. I have baby fever BAD!!! Although several of my friends have kids, my immediate group of closest friends (does that make sense... the people I hang out with the most) are all very anti kid and I''m terrified that I''ll alienate them if I have a baby
8.gif

So...sorry for the long post (and semi thread jack) but it''s similar to the one I''ve been thinking about writing for awhile now. I''m so confused.... maybe it''s because I never saw myself as a mother and now I want it so badly... it''s a totally new identity for me.

I hate all this pressure of picking a date to start TTC. I have no advice on how to pass the time (could use some myself). We''re just trying to enjoy our time together as a couple.

I''m terrified that after years of trying to prevent pregnancy I won''t be able to get pregnant. A friend of mine made a big deal about TTC about a year and a half ago... she counted down the days of her last pack of pills and told everyone her plans. Well.... she''s still not pregnant.
8.gif

I guess the good news is that if I start in Oct (Yikes... that''s 3 months!!!) we could be seeing each other on the TTC board.
1.gif

Should I go ahead and get started on the vitamins? I actually don''t take a multivitamin (although I know I should) but I do try to eat healthy and maintain a healthy lifestyle. I''ve cut down my alcohol consumption and I''m trying to get more exercise.

so cal girl

Shiny_Rock
I''m glad to find out I''m not the only one with baby fever!

Erica, that is funny that so many of you got pregnant on the first try! I have heard that it takes someone my age an average of 6 months to get pregnant, but I guess it is different for everyone.

Haven, you''ll have to keep us posted on whether or not you are pregnant! I had a similar experience on my honeymoon. I got sick in the airport on our way out of town, and I started wondering if I may be. I don''t know why I would think that, since I take BC religiously. Maybe I was just hoping that I could be...

Indy, thanks for all of the information. I''ll have to take a look at that website when I get more time. Oh, and if you want to see a picture of my hubby and his twin, I just posted some wedding pics in the BWW section.

Apple, it sounds like you and I are feeling very similar. I order my pills in the mail, so I get three months worth at a time. I just ordered more last month, and I was thinking, maybe that is the last bunch I should order for a while. I have my annual gyno visit in October/November, so I was thinking I would talk to her then about what I need to do to get my body ready.

I was never someone who said I wanted kids either. Actually, before I met my husband, I didn''t think I was likely to ever get married. And now that I am married, I can''t wait to have a baby!

applequeen

Shiny_Rock
Does anyone else wish that they'd just be one of those 2/100 or whatever that get pregnant on the pill... just to take all the pressure of planning the "start date" off? I do (maybe that's the wrong attitude) but unfortunatly I'm way too anal to just "forget" to take my pill... I take it every night at the same time so the chances of it not working are very very slim. The pill also kills my sex drive so that really slims down the chances of any happy accidents.

This month I even convinced myself that maybe I could be pregnant.. .I didn't buy a test or anything because reason eventually won out. There is no way I'm pregnant... the only reason I'm feeliing the least bit sick is because of sinus drainage.

It's so hard to find anyone to talk to about this since I don't live close to any of my friends who are parents (who all view me as non maternal anyway... I was the very last to get married... I also thought I may never get married). My close friends (as I've already mentioned) are so anti kid that I can't talk to them. Other than my husband I've had no one to talk to about this. It's been very isolating and I'm sorry if I'm going on and on about this but it's just been buildiing for so long.

ETA... I also didn't realize how old this thread was (I"m a mostly lurker/ occasional poster) but I'm glad it's been revived andthat I stumbled upon it... I'm also very relieved to see how many others consider themselves "non maternal"
1.gif

NewEnglandLady

Ideal_Rock
D and I joke that getting pregnant accidentally would be ideal for us, otherwise we''ll never feel ready to start trying. I''m incredibly systematic about taking my pill because I don''t want to take any chances right now, but even when we make the decision to have a child, we''ll probably take the back door approach--you know, I''ll stop taking my pill and we''ll say "we''re not trying to have a baby, we just stopped NOT trying".

We are still planning to start TTC in a couple of years, but at this point if it happened accidentally it wouldn''t be the awful--just incredibly, terrifyingly, infinitely scary.

Pandora II

Ideal_Rock
I wasn''t planning to start TTC till the autumn.

But.. DH and I got a bit carried away on the wedding night and ooops no BC...

I''ve been off the BCP for 2 years now and charting (badly - ie no BBT, just basics) for about 4 months now. My cycle has been clockwork regular all that time.

DH is baby crazy at the moment and so we decided to carry on with no BC for the rest of the week. Wedding night was CD10, and my cycle is 27 days with O normally day 13/14 so the honeymoon window is pretty good. Currently at CD17...

My female relatives all have trouble NOT getting PG so we will have to see what happens.

I feel a bit bad that I hadn''t planned for this yet, but maybe that is because I''m such a control freak. Anyway, I''m just double dosing on the folic acid just in case!

I also had to do a mega internet search to see what the risks are with the drugs I''m on. Coming off them is not an option, and luckily it seems that there is no increased risk even on doses 5 times higher than mine. My GP will be slightly unhappy - we had a big discussion about it all 2 weeks ago, and he wanted me to get some more advice first. He has said he will support whatever decision I make and will make sure that I get tests as early as possible especially as I''m also 36. He''s not keen on amnio though.

Anyway, I''m intrigued to see what happens in the next couple of weeks.
9.gif

Independent Gal

Ideal_Rock
Pandora, head on over to the TTC thread! Lots of info and fun for all!

And here''s a great website re drugs and embryos: safefetus.com

Pandora II

Ideal_Rock
Date: 8/2/2008 11:16:54 AM
Author: Independent Gal
Pandora, head on over to the TTC thread! Lots of info and fun for all!

And here''s a great website re drugs and embryos: safefetus.com
Ouch...

The Tramadol looks not too bad, but the Lamotrigine looks terrible on that site! I''ve done some serious research on that one, and I am prepared to take the risk based on the results - but I will have every test I can as early as possible. DH and I have already discussed our feelings about severe abnormalities and agreed on our decisions in those circumstances.

If I could I wouldn''t take them, but sadly I can''t have any kind of normal life without.
15.gif

icekid

Ideal_Rock
Woohoo exciting, Pandora. I''ve been feeling a little baby fever lately too, which is a weird and new experience for me. The timing would be terrible as I have a looooot of stressful times adjusting to being a new doc for at least the next two years. So we''re preliminarily thinking that baby time will be about 2 years+ from now. But still means trying will only be a year and a half away! That sounds sooo soon. Probably b/c I''ve never actually wanted to get pregnant (rather adopt) but my hubby really wants one bio kid first.

I looked at the lamotrigine on safefetus, and basically since we really don''t know what will happen to a human fetus (who would sign up for that study?!) it''s category C. IBut if you need it, you need it. Of course, if you''re open to it (obviously a very personal decision) adoption is another option.

Pandora II

Ideal_Rock
Date: 8/2/2008 12:09:09 PM
Author: icekid
Woohoo exciting, Pandora. I''ve been feeling a little baby fever lately too, which is a weird and new experience for me. The timing would be terrible as I have a looooot of stressful times adjusting to being a new doc for at least the next two years. So we''re preliminarily thinking that baby time will be about 2 years+ from now. But still means trying will only be a year and a half away! That sounds sooo soon. Probably b/c I''ve never actually wanted to get pregnant (rather adopt) but my hubby really wants one bio kid first.

I looked at the lamotrigine on safefetus, and basically since we really don''t know what will happen to a human fetus (who would sign up for that study?!) it''s category C. IBut if you need it, you need it. Of course, if you''re open to it (obviously a very personal decision) adoption is another option.
All the other studies seem to be of the ''it looks pretty safe, but we can''t really say that'' kind of thing. When and if I am PG I will be signing up to the Lamotrigine Pregnancy Register as I think it''s important to have as much data as possible.

Adoption is not an option for us - I have bipolar disorder which would mean I wouldn''t be accepted onto the lists in the UK or most other countries. I''m not the sort of person who would be good with a child that wasn''t my own genetically. I admire people who are, but know myself well enough to realise it would be a bad idea all round!

Rhea

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 8/2/2008 10:28:06 AM
Author: Pandora II
I wasn''t planning to start TTC till the autumn.

But.. DH and I got a bit carried away on the wedding night and ooops no BC...

That''s very exciting! Best of luck.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results