shape
carat
color
clarity

Moving to MN?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

everlong_x

Shiny_Rock
I have lived in Texas my entire life. DH has lived only in Texas and Oklahoma. After getting married, we realized that if we were going to do something big, we wanted to move out of state. We don''t have kids or a mortgage to tie us down yet, so we think it would be best to do this while we''re young and still able to.

My question is this: Does anyone in the Twin Cities area know of any good places to rent? I''ve looked on www.apartmentratings.com and it seems like even the nicest looking apartments supposedly have mice or cockroaches "running rampant through the halls".
20.gif
The website seems a little sketchy, so I was wondering if there was another way to go about looking for a decent place to start off in.

Any advice is greatly appreciated!!

somethingshiny

Ideal_Rock
I can''t answer your question exactly, sorry.

But, I lived in TX for several years before moving to IL. I''ve never seen a roach in Northern IL (unlike TX) but just about any Midwest/Northern place is bound to have mice. They can''t live outside all year round as they can in the South. So, I would automatically nix any roachy places but don''t discount a home because of mice (which are easy to take care of).

And, I can''t give you a website, but any site that is saying that roaches are all over are (IMHO) not quite trustworthy.

Good Luck!

mimzy

Brilliant_Rock
i can''t really answer your question, but i just wanted to say good luck :) after FI and i get married we are planning on moving out of state for a bit before we settle down and the twin cities is one of the places that we are considering.

why did you choose there?

Minny

Rough_Rock
Hi there,

I moved to MN from NY six years ago, and never looked back! I love it here. I''ve lived in 4 apartments/houses during that time and I NEVER saw even ONE mouse or cockroach in any of them! (including the fairly sketchy place I shared with college students during grad school). I''ve lived in Minneapolis, St. Paul, and a southern suburb....if that helps you at all.

(Now what you should be worried about are the winters!
23.gif
)

miraclesrule

Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/20/2008 12:21:37 AM
Author: Minny
Hi there,

I moved to MN from NY six years ago, and never looked back! I love it here. I''ve lived in 4 apartments/houses during that time and I NEVER saw even ONE mouse or cockroach in any of them! (including the fairly sketchy place I shared with college students during grad school). I''ve lived in Minneapolis, St. Paul, and a southern suburb....if that helps you at all.

(Now what you should be worried about are the winters!
23.gif
)

I was thinking the same thing. Practice driving in the snow. Buy a lot of warm clothing. Learn how to build a great fire. Burrrrrrrrrrr MN is cccccccccccold.

everlong_x

Shiny_Rock
Mimzy - Honestly, we might as well have thrown darts at a map of the US. Yesterday, he actually named a few more places we could move, so now it's between Twin Cities, Portland, or somewhere on the East Coast. I love him, but he can be so frickin' random.
38.gif

Minny - Could you suggest some apartments to look at? For some reason, DH has a criteria that the apartment has to have air conditioning. I don't see why that's that important in MN seeing as how the "average" temperature doesn't rise above 90, according to weather.com. And the other criteria is that he wants a white christmas, thus we go somewhere it'll snow. He loves cold weather. Me, not so much, but as long as I can bundle up with some sweaters and blankets, it'll be fine.

mimzy

Brilliant_Rock
everlong - have you and your DH sit down and take the quiz at find your spot. it''s a really good way to look at different cities, etc. i''ve spent hours on taht site!

Minny

Rough_Rock
hmm..I don''t know if I have any specific suggestions for apartments -- it really depends on where exactly you will be living in the twin cities area. there are tons of apartment buildings and I would think all of the newer ones would have air conditioning (and even most of the older ones). I would put a garage spot on your list of "must haves" too because while snow can be pretty to look at, it is not fun to start your day by digging out your car in subzero temperatures!

do you know what cities/towns you are looking at?

have you looked on the website www.apartments.com ? That looks like a good place to start. Though I would think it would be best to take a trip here so you can explore places in person.

everlong_x

Shiny_Rock
Oh, that''s a great website, mimzy! I really like the results it gave me. DH is home sick today, so I''ll let him know to take it when he can.

And minny, DH''s uncle offered us a round-trip flight anywhere we wanted to go for a wedding gift, so whichever city we choose, we''ll more than likely use the flight to go and scope out the locale. I did notice that a lot of apartments had street parking, which I was not too fond of, so that is something else that we''ll need to be on the lookout for.

Thanks!

lauralu

Brilliant_Rock
I have to comment on the .........air conditioning not being important in Mn. You bet it is! Average of 90 yes. But, we have killer humidity. Our seasons can be extreme. 20 below plus wind chills in winter and 90 degree summer days with humidity so thick it makes you want to take a shower soon after you already took one. Unless you are up north like Duluth or further. Their hot days are shorter than other areas.Lake Superior keeps it cooler up there.

Duluth by the way is gorgeous.....always something to do. Full of beauty and outside activities in the summer and fun winter sports during the winter months. However, it's coooooooooold there longer.

Just a guess though,but I doubt that there are too many places to rent that would not have a window unit at the very least.

Good luck though.......I did that a loooooooooong time agao. Just picked a place and moved. It was so fun and before kids is the ONLY time you can really do that kind of thing and not feel guilty about making sure everyone is being taken care of. I say Go for it!!!!!!!

Oh and I have lived in Mn a long time and rented a few different places before buying home and there really are not too many cockroaches or mice running around. In my experience anyway.

Iowa Lizzy

Brilliant_Rock
Hi Everlong_X!

My sister has lived in Minnesota for several years. She just moved out of uptown Mpls to St. Louis Park. When she was uptown, she lived in a loft apartment in Laurel Villiage. It was a great place! Underground parking, laundry in the apartment, awesome shopping, bars/restaurants within walking distance, but also right on bus route. It''s in a super location. She was in the "loft building" but there''s also a high rise with a rooftop pool, tanning beds, etc.

I would say definitely check them out. I used to love staying with her. If you like shopping, the largest mall in America is about a 20 minute car ride away.

Good luck! (and yes, winters suck there. I''m about 4 hours south of Mpls. I can relate).

http://www.laurelvillage.com/

everlong_x

Shiny_Rock
Thanks Lizzy!

Rolando, my husband, came home the other day and added one more place to our list of possibilities. It came down to:

Twin Cities
Portland
Seattle
Providence
Denver

After doing more research, I really think we''ve got our eyes set on Denver now. It''s a lot closer to home, but still far enough away. (When Rolando told his parent of our plans, his dad almost started crying) I''ve found a few really nice apartments and we have jobs that are relevantly easy to find. I do want to thank everyone for their advice, though! It really meant a lot.

Any advice for moving to Denver?
9.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results