shape
carat
color
clarity

Please help me with a sewing project!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

zhuzhu

Ideal_Rock
I need help too with making a very simple curtain to block out sunlight from my piano. I purchased 2.5 yards of semi-shiny polyester pattern fabric, and need to make two simple pocketed 81.25 by 24 inches curtain out of them.

My questions are:

(1) What is the best way to cut 2.5 yards (60 by 90) evenly to 2-piece base fabric first? I do not have a table that big to lay it out and measure it with a tape. I imagine just half the 60'' side?

(2) Knowing the final size requirement of 81.25 by 24, how much border fabric do I need to keep to make side and bottom hems? The problem again is how do I cut a perfectly lined rectangular shape to begin with? I am so scare to make cutting mistakes!

(3) Finally, assuming the cut is acceptable, how do I then sew it a straight line in the right shape using the machine?

You can prob tell I have never done this before. Please help!

Thank you so much!!!

KCCutie

Brilliant_Rock
Okay the first thing is fabric is never perfectly the measurement you bought, so don''t assume you can just cut it in half and have 2 30" by 90" strips...I know that didn''t really help.

That being said yes I would start there but don''t just fold in half and cut measure 30" in from one side every 6 inches or so and cut as straight as you can (use the floor if you don''t have a big table). If both are close to 30" each you''re doing great! Then I would hem one side (I would do the finished side as it will be straighter) by ironing over 1/2" all the way down then flipping that in another 1" (so the hem allowance is 1 and 1/2 total). Then I would measure in 25.5" from the finished edge and cut along that line then repeat the same hem as the other side.

Not sure if that''s the best or right way but, that''s how I''d start.

Hope that helps....at least a little
28.gif

brazen_irish_hussy

Ideal_Rock

First, sew very slowly on shiny fabric. It is slick and moves away from you and it shows the marks if you miss and sew in the wrong place. DON"T iron the fabric unless you know you can or it will melt as it is basically plastic. If it is wrinkled, steam it, but don't iron it.

I recommend 2 things for you. A T-square like architects and construction workers use that is a yard long and sewing chalk. It is like regular chalk, but it is much thinner so you can make fine lines. With the fabric you describe, pens might soak through so the chalk is better. Neither are expensive but there are great to have for sewing.

1. The floor will work for what you are doing. With the fabric you describe, this is how I would do it. Lay it out on the floor (clean of course) so what will be the back (the side not showing when it is done) is face up and smooth it out. Then measure the halfway point and mark it with the chalk. Take the T-square and line it up so the ruler part is on the fabric and the “t” is parallel to the bottom and then use the chalk to mark all the way to the end of the ruler part. Do the same thing on the other side. The just lay the T-square or a yardstick between them to finish drawing the line. This will give you a perfect 90-degree angle. I can try and describe it better if you need.
2. For the side ones, I would do the same thing as above, just use the t-square to get a straight line perpendicular with three inches on each side. Where you put the line is where you fold over to sew the hem. Pin it in place every few inches and you will have no trouble sewing it straight. The top and bottom is a little more complicated. You need to figure out how big the curtain rod is so your loop at the top is big enough. I would make the hem at the bottom maybe 2 inches and then use whatever is left at the top to make the loop that will hold the rod, so it is like a big pocket with open sides.
3. If you draw a line for the hem and fold on it, then pin it in place, you will have a straight line to work with. Just sew slowly and you should have a straight line.

I am sorry if this doesn’t make much sense, it’s such a visual process. The first part of the picture shows how to use the T-square since I may not have been clear. http://www.eng.marmara.edu.tr/courses/other/es161/images/T-Square.jpg

zhuzhu

Ideal_Rock
Thanks KCCutie and Brazen_irish_hussy,

I am still very confused and am afraid of making mistakes.
If I take it to a seamstress to have them made, do you know how much is a reasonable fee?

Thanks!
zhuzhu

KCCutie

Brilliant_Rock
Oh good catch BIH, I missed the shiny fabric part.

The T square really is the best way to go if you have one or can borrow or buy one. I wish I could draw so I could show you what she BIH means but drawing is not my strong suit.

I really have no idea how much a tailor would charge but they charges me like $15 to hem very simple slacks (probably took them 5 minutes) so they can be pricey. I would suggest making a few calls just to see.

fatafelice

Brilliant_Rock
And to answer your other questions about hem size, it is mostly up to you, but I can offer suggestions...

How big is the rod that you are going to use? The top rod pocket should be just big enough to fit the rod. Turn the edge under 1/2" or so first, then fold down for the pocket.

The side hems can be very small on an unlined drape. I would turn the edges under 1/2" and then 1/2" again. So, when cutting, you need 2" extra width.

For the bottom hem, I would go atleast 2", not only because it will look better, but having a deep hem on the bottom will give the panel some weight. Remember to also allow and amount - 1/2" or so - to turn under before you turn up the hem, so you don''t have a raw edge.

Does that make sense?

zhuzhu

Ideal_Rock
You guys are the best! and I am so jealous with how talented you are!
I think it is prob best that I have someone do it for me. A co-worker of mine offers to sew them for me for $30 total. Is that a reasonable price? Thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results