shape
carat
color
clarity

Anyone changed their own electrical outlets and light switches?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

karasue91

Brilliant_Rock
I want to replace our old electrical outlets and ugly light switches but FI says it''s a lot of work. Doesn''t sound like it would be from the instructions I''ve found online...sounds like the electrical outlets are a bit more work, but still nothing big enough to hire an electrician. So, I thought I would check, has anyone done this?

Our house was built around 1970, and the owners we bought it from were the original owners....so clearly they were older and didn''t keep up the maintenance as much as they could have. We got a pretty good deal on the house, but now we are overhauling it, which is SOOO much work. Anyway, my point is that there might be some unprofessional wiring under there....

Thanks for any help you can offer!!!

qtiekiki

Ideal_Rock
DH changed all the electrical outlets and light switches in the nursery and his office when we painted them couple months ago. It''s very simple. You turn off the power source, then unscrew the wires from the old outlets/switches and hook the wires onto the new outlets/switches. I am sorry but I don''t know the technical terms for these things. I saw DH do them and it only takes a couple minutes to do.

miraclesrule

Ideal_Rock
I have done them. Faceplates and switches are pretty much the easiest thing to do, next to changing lightbulbs. The only tip I have is not to forget to shut off the main electrical panel to the zone you are working on. I forgot to do that once and I was using wire strippers to get some more exposed wires to stick into the socket. Zzzzzzzzoooooooooppppp, nothing like a little 110 volt bolt action to remind you that you forgot lightswitch 101. Thank gawd it wasn''t 220 volts. YIKES!!

It''s super simple. You just shut off the main. Remove the old faceplate. Disconnect the wires from the old socket and if necessary, cut them and use a wire stipper/cutter to get some good grounding and wire up the new one (correctly, or your lights will be all whacked, especially on a two room shared socket). Then screw it in and put on the new faceplate. You turn the main back on and "flip your switch"....it''s awesome to watch the lights come on with your new rocker switches.
30.gif

krispi

Shiny_Rock
I''ve done it before, and it is pretty easy. You just have to make sure that you''re attaching the correct wire to each screw when you''re putting the new one in. If you can operate a screwdriver (and yes - turn off a breaker!), you can definintely do it!

Tacori E-ring

Super_Ideal_Rock
DH always does this in our homes. It does look great when it is done.

karasue91

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks everyone!!

Miracles and krispi, yay I''m glad to hear other women who did it themselves, although Miracles, it sounds painful, haha. The rocker switches are exactly what I want too. Weekend project! :)

KCCutie

Brilliant_Rock
Yep. I''ve done this too and I''m not that handy so if I can do it anyone can.

If the instructions you''ve found on-line seem easy enough for you then I say you''ll be fine. No need to hire an electrician for something you can do yourself.
28.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results