shape
carat
color
clarity

Really Bummed, Just Had to Vent

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

AmberGretchen

Ideal_Rock
OK, so I know this is totally not a big deal in the scheme of things, but DH and I are both feeling super depressed about it.

So, we live in an amazing apartment building - its quiet, practically brand new, great landlords, great location, everything. Currently, we are in a 2 Bedroom/2Bathroom unit, which we really like a lot, and were thrilled to have gotten when we moved in. However, because its all on one floor, now that DH''s work commute has tripled and he gets up to leave very early, its not been great for either of our sleep (i.e. even though he''s quiet he often wakes me up in the morning and then I have trouble getting back to sleep).

ALSO, my mom moved, a few months ago, into an apartment that she took because she needed to find something on very short notice (her house sold unexpectedly), but she thought it would be OK. She is older (turning 70 in the Fall), and disabled (one hip replaced, other will need to be). The apartment she moved into is supposed to have an elevator, but she found out after she moved in that it is broken almost all the time.
38.gif
Our building, on the other hand, would be perfect for my mom (she really wants to move here)

So in our building there is a unit that DH and I have hoped to rent for a long time. It is on more than one floor, and has a bit more space than our current unit. It would be absolutely perfect for us. When the people living there mentioned to DH they were moving out, he called the landlord right away to find out if we could have it. We were so excited because it seemed to perfect - mom could take our unit (which would be perfect for her), and we could have the larger one, which would be perfect for us.

Well, I ran into the landlord yesterday, and apparently our next door neighbors (who I really dislike, more on that in a moment), had expressed interest in the larger unit before we did.
39.gif
Its not absolutely certain that they''ll take it but it seems very very likely
7.gif
39.gif
15.gif

So of course, this would still be good for my mom, as she can (hopefully) take their unit, but this means we (DH and I) have to sacrifice every spare moment of time when we''re not both working to helping my mom move for the second time in 4 months, AND we are still stuck in this place that isn''t ideal for us. I know I shouldn''t be this upset, because its important that my mom is getting what she needs here, but I am so bummed about not getting that other unit that I kind of just want to cry (and I am NOT a cryer).
39.gif
39.gif

And somehow the fact that it is these neighbors irks me particularly - they often have loud parties, and they smoke right outside our windows occasionally, which I am pretty sure they are not supposed to do. DH thinks I should call the landlords about the smoking, but I feel like they might come across as really petty and insecure.

I can''t decide though, if I''m more upset about not getting the apartment, about losing it to these particular people, or about the fact that at a time when we''ve both been under an ENORMOUS amount of stress and pressure anyway, DH and I will go from having almost no free time to having basically none at all for the next couple of months
39.gif

neatfreak

Super_Ideal_Rock
Awww, it's ok to be sad about this! It sucks! Is there any way that you could sweet talk the landlord into giving it to you guys instead? If the other tenants don't know that they were the first, and they aren't good tenants anyway... If I were a LL I'd much rather have a nice quiet couple who potentially is a LT tenant in one of my nicer units for sure...

You might also tell the LL that your mom wants to rent your unit specifically, so if there's a chance you can get the big one, yours will already be rented! That might put a fire under their butt.

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
Oh gosh, I am so sorry; I wish I had a solution for you. That is so sweet of you guys helping your mom out; could you use a moving company to move her? How crummy the mean people who smoke get the apartment; they sound like they don''t deserve it and I can''t believe they smoke outside the building right near the apartments. I just want to send a big hug your way and I would be frustrated too. ((((hugs))))

AmberGretchen

Ideal_Rock
Thanks so much you guys. Nothing has been confirmed yet, but I don''t have a good feeling about it, and I''m usually a very optimistic person.

NF - unfortunately these landlords already told the other people they had the first right of refusal (they are very fair and honest in general, and I really can''t fault them for that) on the bigger unit. And their unit now is basically identical to ours right now, so it would be hard to make a case for my mom wanting this one instead. Thank you for the sweet thoughts and suggestions though.

Skippy - thanks so much for the hugs. I''m still incredibly down about this, but I better try to cheer up soon, since I have friends coming over in a few hours for dinner tonight. Its my turn to host all the girls at my house for dinner, so I''m going to try to focus on that if I can...

Thank you so much to both of you for the good thoughts - I''m really trying to let this go, for some reason its just harder than usual...
7.gif

AmberGretchen

Ideal_Rock
And at least I have a lovely DH who is trying to make the best of this bad situation - here''s part of the e-mail he wrote me when I asked him if I should call the landlord about the smoking situation:

"I don''t think we should call about the smoking. It''s not worth
getting petty out of our disappointment. There''s no way for (landlord''s name) to
act on our tip without betraying who it was, so that would sour
relations within the building. It''s unlikely to get us the apartment
anyway. I''m not willing to resort to that. We have a beautiful
apartment in which to house our beautiful marriage, and I don''t want
to bring in the taint of sour grapes."

neatfreak

Super_Ideal_Rock
Awww your DH is super cute!!! The one angle you have is the smoking if they happen to ever smoke in their apartment...mom can''t live in a smoky apartment right??? But it is a total longshot...and especially if the LL already told the other tenants they have first dibs...then the right thing is much easier to see unfortunately...

AmberGretchen

Ideal_Rock
Yeah, I definitely lucked out on the DH, even if the apartment situation sucks.

I agree about the smoking thing, and I did see them through the window doing it once, but unless the apartment smells super smoky (and how would I ever get in to figure that out?!), there''s no way to prove it
7.gif

AmberGretchen

Ideal_Rock
OK< I''m really trying to let this go, but they haven''t even bothered to get back to the landlord to say they want the apartment for sure. I''m just so bummed, its like waiting for the ax to fall and I wish they would just get it over with already...

neatfreak

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/5/2008 11:26:41 AM
Author: AmberGretchen
OK< I''m really trying to let this go, but they haven''t even bothered to get back to the landlord to say they want the apartment for sure. I''m just so bummed, its like waiting for the ax to fall and I wish they would just get it over with already...

Well at some point the LL will say forget about it to them right? Maybe they just were interested but now can''t afford the price difference or don''t want to move? Could be a good sign for you!

2Artists

Brilliant_Rock
Hmmm it almost makes one want to bring the landlord over some cookies or something.
27.gif

I''m so sorry that sounds so frustrating. I really hope you guys get that place. Also that is really kind that you are taking great care of your Mom.

I''m so sorry about the work hours too.
7.gif

Sending luck your way.

female half 2Artists

AmberGretchen

Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/5/2008 12:49:32 PM
Author: neatfreak

Well at some point the LL will say forget about it to them right? Maybe they just were interested but now can''t afford the price difference or don''t want to move? Could be a good sign for you!

NF - I wish!! Unfortunately the landlords are pretty scrupulously fair, so I still think they would give them first right of refusal. But on the other hand maybe not if they take weeks to call them back...

AmberGretchen

Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/5/2008 1:18:27 PM
Author: 2Artists
Hmmm it almost makes one want to bring the landlord over some cookies or something.
27.gif

I''m so sorry that sounds so frustrating. I really hope you guys get that place. Also that is really kind that you are taking great care of your Mom.

I''m so sorry about the work hours too.
7.gif

Sending luck your way.

female half 2Artists

Thanks 2Artists - I appreciate the good thought
1.gif
Sadly, I don''t think the cookie idea would work (see above about landlords being SUPER fair).

2Artists

Brilliant_Rock
Darn those super fair people! Kidding I really love super fair people.

Female Half 2Artists

neatfreak

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/5/2008 1:49:29 PM
Date: 7/5/2008 12:49:32 PM

Author: neatfreak

NF - I wish!! Unfortunately the landlords are pretty scrupulously fair, so I still think they would give them first right of refusal. But on the other hand maybe not if they take weeks to call them back...
I am sure at some point that right expires right??? I mean if the LL''s want to rent is ASAP they need to show it, so I am sure they will give them a deadline sometime soon...that''s still fair!

AmberGretchen

Ideal_Rock
Yeah...normally I really appreciate it, especially as there are so many blatantly dishonest and/or unfair landlords around, but right now I kind of wish they had an irrational favoritism towards us
14.gif

LollyBear

Brilliant_Rock
AG - You sound like such a sweet couple. I believe in karma and if you don''t get this unit, it''s probably because something even better is going to come along.
Hope everything works out!

allycat0303

Ideal_Rock
AmberG,

That''s just pretty blah. I think it would have been less bad if it had been a NICE neighbor. I think it''s perfectly ok to be bummed! Keep your fingers crossed that a better unit will come around for you (or something falls through with the other couple). I''m really glad it worked out for your mom though. Chin up!

AmberGretchen

Ideal_Rock
Thank you both so much for the sweet thoughts Alli and StephensBride
12.gif

AmberGretchen

Ideal_Rock
OMG OMG OMG OMG...I''m SO EXCITED
9.gif
The other people in the building decided not to take the unit after all, so I just spoke to the landlord and she said we can have it and my mom can have our unit
9.gif
9.gif
9.gif

YAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Of course, now we have to move, but its just down the hall, and I think it will be TOTALLY worth it - I''m so EXCITED - THREE FLOORS WOOHOO
36.gif
36.gif
36.gif

neatfreak

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/7/2008 8:21:49 PM
OMG OMG OMG OMG...I''m SO EXCITED
9.gif
The other people in the building decided not to take the unit after all, so I just spoke to the landlord and she said we can have it and my mom can have our unit
9.gif
9.gif
9.gif

YAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Of course, now we have to move, but its just down the hall, and I think it will be TOTALLY worth it - I''m so EXCITED - THREE FLOORS WOOHOO
36.gif
36.gif
36.gif

YAYYY!!! I was hoping that is what was going on! It is totally worth it to move down the hall, not a huge deal at all. Can you do it a bit at a time? That will make it even easier.

iheartscience

Super_Ideal_Rock
YES! Congratulations!

2Artists

Brilliant_Rock
Yeeehah-That is sooo awesome!
36.gif
36.gif
36.gif

Mrs. 2Artists

rockzilla

Brilliant_Rock
Yay! Congrats - your apartment is gorgeous, so I can''t imagine what this ''nicer'' one will look like!

When do you move in?

Beacon

Ideal_Rock
Wow I am super happy for you! You both handled the whole thing with such grace and I am thrilled it went your way!!

kcoursolle

Super_Ideal_Rock
Congratulations!!! I''m so happy that everything worked out so well in the end! A three floor apartment sounds lovely and how nice your mom will have a place so close to you.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Just seeing this now (haven''t ventured over to this board for ever)... I''m so glad it all worked out! I can''t believe you guys are moving again though! WOW, you are brave!

AmberGretchen

Ideal_Rock
Thanks everyone
9.gif
I''m still excited about the new place, although when we got in to see it, it didn''t have *quite* as much space as we''d hoped for, it is still beautiful, and has two HUGE patios, which will be awesome
9.gif

However, I''ve definitely started to panic about the move. We still don''t have an exact date, but it will be within the next 3-5 weeks, and I just found out that I will be interviewing for jobs starting in August, rather than in September/October as I originally thought, and DH will also be starting his grad school applications at the same time
23.gif
32.gif
Yes, we are officially insane [
6.gif

2Artists

Brilliant_Rock
2 huge patios! That is awesome!
36.gif
Do you have any overlap with the move? Like a week where you can move back and forth between the 2 places?

I am an oddball and think moves can be kind of cleansing. But for some reason they always seem to fall at the biggest pain in the butt times.

OK don''t laugh at me but I loved the moving suggestions on FlyLady.net they are under Flying lessons under FlyLady''s moving tips. They helped me get through my last move in one piece.

The Unclutterer also has some good info about moving when you type moving into their search. Including links to moving resources. I know lots of people get their boxes free on Craigslist also. The Flylady one is my favorite though.

This is so exciting for you even if it is a stressful time. I''m so glad you got this place.
1.gif

Mrs.2Artists

AmberGretchen

Ideal_Rock
Thanks 2artists - I''ll for sure have to check out that site.

I actually also don''t mind moving for the same reason you said - I''m really into not keeping excess crap around and I love the way that a move forces me to get rid of the extra stuff I don''t need. I''m really only bummed about the timing - I''m really stressed about how quickly these interviews are coming up (I only found out about the new timeline on Sunday), and we just have so much going on in the next 2-3 months, so that''s really the stress, not the moving itself.

We''re definitely trying to plan it so we have overlap between the two places, as that will make it MUCH easier.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results