shape
carat
color
clarity

Remove me from the list!!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

M&MS

Rough_Rock
I''m engaged!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
9.gif
9.gif
9.gif
9.gif
9.gif
9.gif
9.gif
9.gif
9.gif
9.gif

(WARNING: Loooong story ahead. Skip to pictures if you get bored)
28.gif

Actually it happened on June 22nd, but I''ve been out of town so I haven''t had a chance to update anyone, haha. It was SOOO amazing. So here is some background first:

We have been dating for almost 7.5 years, over half of it long distance. I am currently in medical school and he is a philosophy student. We are both german by heritage and we actually come from the same region of Germany, so after I took my step 1 board exam he took me on a vacation to the Black Forest (the area we both come from). One of the German poets, Goethe, wrote a poem called "Ginkgo Biloba" which he wrote under a ginkgo tree in the gardens of the Heidelberg Castle and dedicated to his beloved. This poem has meant a lot in our relationship and I have a ginkgo leaf necklace and whatnot. In the poem he describes the ginkgo leaf and relates it to relationships...it is about how the leaf is one but two (it is split in half so it looks like two but it is really one). It compares this to a relationship in which one person is really two (the unity theme). My fiance (!!!!) modified the last line slightly to use the verb "we" instead of "me" but here is the poem:

This leaf from a tree in the East,
Has been given to my garden.
It reveals a certain secret,
Which pleases me and thoughtful people.

Does it represent One living creature
Which has divided itself?
Or are these Two, which have decided,
That they should be as One?

To reply to such a Question,
I found the right answer:
Do you notice in my songs and verses
That I am One and Two? (He said that we are one and two)

The Proposal:
My fiance gave me a book to read about Goethe and the history of the Ginkgo poem. Being a med student and cramming for exams, however, so I didn''t actually read through all of it. Had I read 5 more pages, I would''ve known that the trip up to the Heidelberg Castle would include this very important tree. But because I didn''t read it, I was totally surprised when he stopped in front of a tree and declared that this was not just any ginkgo tree, but THE ginkgo tree. Actually he began the speech with "two important things happened under this tree" and then described Goethe and went on a 10 minute speech tangent. All the time I was saying to myself ''two things...two? OMG he is so going to do it...don''t think about it, just listen to him...OMG I am not ready...what the hell am I saying, of course I am ready...LISTEN, THIS IS THE PRE-PROPOSAL SPEECH''. Hahaha. Then at the end of the speech he whipped out the poem and read it to me, and then he said "and as for the second thing that happened here, I have a question for you" and popped open the box he was secretly holding in his other hand, and I nearly fainted because it was so incredibly gorgeous and I started crying. He asked me to marry him in German (luckily I still remember it enough to know what he said, as if the ring and the kneeling weren''t obvious enough) and I of course said yes.
9.gif
Then we had strawberries and champagne and took a million pictures and it was SO MUCH FUN and OH MY GOD, I''M ENGAGED!!!!!!!

My first post was about how he was planning this party for July 5th and how I thought it looked suspiciously like an engagement party, and I was right! So not only have I been in Europe for 2 weeks but I then had my engagement party so I really haven''t had any time to post! Anyways, enough about all of that.

The Ring:
We designed it together, sort of, over time. It''s a Vatche X-Prong Engraved ring in rose gold. The prongs are platinum. The diamond is a square cushion that is a little over 1 carat and it''s a D in color
23.gif
9.gif
which I was definitely not expecting but cannot stop smiling about. He really, really outdid himself. He picked out the diamond on 5th Ave in NYC too!! Enough talking (sorry for being a chatterbox). On to the pictures:

382 small.jpg

M&MS

Rough_Rock
More

202 small.jpg

M&MS

Rough_Rock
It even glows in the dark
9.gif
oh and I forgot to mention that it has no fluorescence.

358 small.jpg

M&MS

Rough_Rock
Side view...sorry the background is so crappy and it''s dark, it was in the hotel room.

359 small.jpg

M&MS

Rough_Rock
Engraving detail...ignore the fuzz in the prong, I removed it afterwards haha.

360 small.jpg

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
That is one white diamond!!!

I love it!!!Very very beautiful diamond and what a lovely story!!!!

Congrats!!!

emilina22

Brilliant_Rock
lovely ring...and beautiful story too!! congrats on your engagement!!!

M&MS

Rough_Rock
Our "engagement" photo. We get criticized a lot for not smiling, but we like to look contemplative and ''sexy'' rather than smiling in a cheesy fashion, so I assure you that we are indeed very happy. And in the background is ''our'' tree.
1.gif

185 small.jpg

M&MS

Rough_Rock
A ginkgo leaf
1.gif

386 small.jpg

M&MS

Rough_Rock
Our happily ever after photo in the hills of the Black Forest with some cherry schnapps to celebrate.
1.gif

And for any of you philosophy dabblers out there, that is Heidegger''s hut in the background.

574 small.jpg

Po10472

Brilliant_Rock
Beautiful story and of course your ring is absolutely gorgeous.

Congrats!!

po
x

M&MS

Rough_Rock
FrekeChild and emilina22, thanks!!! I am so excited!!!

M&MS

Rough_Rock
Thanks Po10472!!!

lovesparklies

Shiny_Rock
Aww, congratulations, M&MS!

kittybean

Ideal_Rock
Congratulations! What a lovely, romantic proposal, and such a pretty, interesting ring to go with it. Best wishes for a happy life together!

hairgirl95

Shiny_Rock
Congrats! What a neat proposal story too! Your ring is so unique--I love the engraving. It looks so pretty. By the way--your fiance looks like a John Mayer look alike! I bet thats not the first time you have heard that. You two make a stunning couple. Enjoy your engagement!
1.gif

Lauren8211

Super_Ideal_Rock
That is a fanstastic story! I love it! Your ring is gorgeous!

Congratulations!
36.gif
36.gif
36.gif

LDubs

Shiny_Rock
What a fun story to start my morning with
1.gif

Congrats!

HeadOverHeels4James

Shiny_Rock
How beautiful!! CONGRATS!!
36.gif
He did a GREAT job on the ring!!

bee*

Super_Ideal_Rock
Congratulations on your engagement! Your ring is beautiful!

gwendolyn

Ideal_Rock
Wow, what an amazing proposal, and HOLY COW THAT RING IS GORGEOUS!!!!!!!
23.gif
9.gif
36.gif

Congratulations, sweetie!!!!
5.gif

Deelight

Ideal_Rock
Awww what a romantic story and a wonderful backdrop, very picturesque.

Your ring is beautiful, very unique and elegant, Congrats to the both of you :) you make a beautiful couple :):)

meresal

Ideal_Rock
Yayyyyyy!!! Congratulations!!! That is one amazing story and a very beautiful ring!!!
36.gif

KCCutie

Brilliant_Rock
Wow sounds like you have had an amazing couple of weeks!

Congrats on the engagement!

Keepingthefaith21

Brilliant_Rock
That is one of the best stories I''ve heard in a LONG time! What a wonderful incorporation of timeless beauty through poetry!

CONGRATS to you and your guy!!! LOVELY ring!!!
36.gif
36.gif

Thank you for sharing!

Delster

Ideal_Rock
Oh my goodness what a romantic proposal!!!! WOWWWW!!!!

36.gif
36.gif
36.gif
Herzlichen Glückwunsch zu Ihrer VERLOBUNG!!!
36.gif
36.gif
36.gif

And such a beautiful ring - you''ve got to start a SMTR thread for us
30.gif

Bia

Ideal_Rock
30.gif
Oh my gosh, I just love your ring!
30.gif
It is so beautiful and very unique...absolutely stunning!

Congratulations on your engagement
36.gif
, and what a lovely story. Your fiance (yay!) sounds like a gem!
36.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results