shape
carat
color
clarity

half moon dilema, please help me think

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

justjulia

Ideal_Rock
I need help. I''m giving some serious thought to replacing the small round sides that came with this setting with new half moons. I''ve been pouring over pictures under a half moon search and love them all. The question is, with my 1.7 oval center, what size each half moon should I look for? And should I get them I color, to match or will it matter (maybe within one or two shades?)?

I love the gentle flow of the look. I kind of want my set to look less busy (I know, I brought it on myself as I went along.) I can''t afford to go all-new right now.

Be honest with me (even though I know I can be pretty sensitive, lol). I grew up peace keeper in my house and tend to want to do that no matter what. Since this is a project in the making, I''m open to suggestion.

Having said I like flow, I''m also toying with the idea of making the half moons green. Yes, green. (Favorite color.) But, that wouldn''t flow, would it?

I''m a walking paradox!

oval to decide.JPG

motownmama

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Half moons sound amazing and GREEEN even more so!

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock

RxTechRN2b

Brilliant_Rock
I would keep the color and clarity as close to your center stone as possible if you decide on diamonds. The green idea brings up a great image in my thoughts! Couldn''t really take a guess on the size, just that they shouldn''t be so small that they won''t flow or so big that the whole effect looks like a blob. Proportion is everything and so is how close you butt the halfmoons up against the oval (no gaps!). Also pay attention to the height and angle they are placed against your oval (slightly lower and angled down, but not too severely). I think green would be a lovely and exquisite contrast, such as tsavorite. And to finish it nicely and make the ring less busy, put it all on a plain platinum band without any other designs or stones to clutter your now flowing lines (I can see flowing lines with green side halfmoons as long as the design is well-executed).

babysteps

Brilliant_Rock
Personally I love the look of an oval with half moon diamonds to match - I think it''s a gorgeous, classic setting and really sets off the oval - have fun playing around with options!

purrfectpear

Ideal_Rock
Green stones are lovely but I would caution you to be sure you won''t get tired of them. I think there''s no fence riding with a ring like that. You''re either a colored stone lover, or not.

justjulia

Ideal_Rock
Motown Mama: I''m intrigued by the green!

Skippy: I absolutely love Kaeigh''s ring. It is just beautiful.

RxTechRN2b: I agree, no gaps! I''d love to start anew with the ring. The trouble is that my present setting is platinum and what I considered at the time an investment. I''d love to find a way to make it work. But, you are right, an uncluttered look would be best.

Babysteps: I''m really liking the idea of the oval with half moons--it just seems right.

Perfectpair: You are right. I had a mother''s ring that was custom made with 18K yellow gold and a ruby and blue saphire and wore it forever until I went with silver color jewelry. I miss the colors. Then, there''s the whole other issue of what green.... I have green eyes and wear mostly greens, browns, and blacks. Plus, it would make the ring more custom like, instead of this mass produced set I have. Also make the center pop. So, there it is: a smooth flowing one stone look, or a popping color look. Oh the decisions...

MonkeyPie

Ideal_Rock
I think green would look amazing. You can even go with a gemstone to get a really neon green. And I have a little crush on half moons...now that I saw Kaleighs I gotta say, it looks like ovals were made just for half moons to look amazing with.

carabella

Shiny_Rock
I would go .3 or .4, probably no bigger than .5 for sure. And try to match clarity and color within one to two color/clarity grades....I love half moons and they will look GREAT with your gorgeous oval!

han001

Rough_Rock
Hi JustJulia, This is my first post (I''ve been a long time lurker) but I just wanted to say that I think green half moons would look fabulous. Dark green Emerald or Peridot side stones would be lovely. If you love green and you want your ring to stand out from the ordinary - go for it!

justjulia

Ideal_Rock
Monkey Pie: Thanks--I''m getting quite excited about the prospects... I''ll keep you posted!

Carabella: Thanks--I needed those stats. I''ll be looking.

han001: WOW WOW WOW- first post?!!!!!! I''m SO honored. I''m sorry it took so long to reply. My internet has been down (long story--we were painting over the weekend and daughter accidentally stepped on the modem (can you hear the crunch?), and well, you can guess...) I am SO excited about the green...

surfgirl

Ideal_Rock
I would consider how half moons might affect the look/shape of your oval. I think if you do diamond half moons, it could end up changing the look of your oval center since half moons will change how the eye sees the entire setting of stones. Do you LOVE the oval standing out as an oval? If so, I''d consider colored half moons because that way the oval will still stand out against the colored sides, you know? I love half moons, got em myself, but I''ve seen ovals with them and the overall look ends up blurring the moons and the stones look more diamond shaped, if you know what I mean.

justjulia

Ideal_Rock
Surfgirl, I''m definitely leaning toward colored half moons, so it will stand out like you said. I just have to find the right green. (I need to learn, so it''s a welcome challenge. I can''t trade those in, so it has to be the right thing the first time.) Once I get my head wrapped around the color, I will start looking at vendors. I LOVE your ring.

surfgirl

Ideal_Rock
Thanks Julia...Why dont you start a thread over on Colored Stones and see what those folks have to suggest for your sides. There are some very knowledgeable people over there. Have you checked out pandoras gorgeous Tsavorite? Those could be really lovely as sides though you might have to find someone to cut you two moons...Good luck!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results