shape
carat
color
clarity

Help me decide! Bedroom set or flat screen??

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Peepa

Shiny_Rock
Right now we have an archaic tv. Big enough but old and deep/fat. A sleek new flat screen would be so awesome. BUT... we also have an OLD mismatched bedroom set. My husband asked which one I want more of right now.
Eek! Any thoughts? Opinions?

gailrmv

Ideal_Rock
My vote is for bedroom set, hands down - but I am not much of a TV person!

turtledazzle

Brilliant_Rock
Maybe buy the TV ... and get a nice, gently used bedroom set on Craigslist or someplace???

Erin

Ideal_Rock
ditto - hands down!
Date: 7/2/2008 3:32:44 PM
Author: TanDogMom
My vote is for bedroom set, hands down - but I am not much of a TV person!

oobiecoo

Ideal_Rock
Bedroom set! (might spice things up a bit?)

pennquaker09

Brilliant_Rock
This is one of the biggest times of the year for furniture sales and I would definitely get bedroom furniture. However, have you decided upon a budget? Depending on your taste, you could possibly be able to get both.

vespergirl

Ideal_Rock
Go with the flatscreen. I got my husband the top of the line 46" Sony Bravia for his 36th birthday last year and I swear that he wept with joy. I have to say, I really enjoy watching movies on that thing.

decodelighted

Super_Ideal_Rock
I just read somewhere (Real Simple maybe) that July is the best time of the year to buy furniture because new stuff comes in in August & people are trying to clear out stock. Have NO idea if that''s really true ... but it the time is right to buy the bed set now ... and the time to buy electronics is different (xmas, january??) That might influence my decision.

littlelysser

Brilliant_Rock
Okay...how about both?

If you''ve done any looking around on craig''s list, there are some really cool bedroom sets on there! I''ve found a couple vintage ones that were just killer. And very reasonably priced...

So I say get both!

lyra

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Well, if the price of flat screens is going down, and the price of furniture is staying steady, I''d go for the furniture now and the TV a little later. We waited for flipping FOREVER to upgrade our bedroom furniture. I don''t know why, I guess a lot of other things were bought first. So we had old mismatched furniture for over 20 years of our marriage. That''s why I say furniture first.
11.gif

BriBee

Brilliant_Rock
I am in the EXACT same boat as you. We also have a mis-matched BR set, and are considering getting some new stuff. We also want a new TV. I want to go with the furniture because the TV we have right now works just fine and the prices of these new TV''s will only keep going down. Go with the furniture.

Peepa

Shiny_Rock
Ok guys, going with bedroom set. I''ve been eyeing the Malm series at Ikea. Any of you have any of those pieces? Btw, I really do want the tv but we already have a good one and I think I want to read more than watch tv this summer. Thanks for all the suggestions and opinions!

2Artists

Brilliant_Rock
After our previous bed broke down we got the Malm queen bed in white. Bought on massive discount. Then sold it when we got our much loved special bed so it ended up being almost like we had rented it for a short amount of time price wise. Dirt cheap. I''m thinking that it was as if we "rented" it for between 15-50 bucks. It has pretty lines and I got it in white because it is veneer and I preferred the straight up white veneer over wood grain veneer. Since I am a sucker for solid wood and figured if I could not afford that then I would get solid white to be different.

The Malm in the white color at least (can''t speak for the others but I assume that it''s the same)does get smudged up black marks a fair amount. I found that a Mr. Clean type sponge (there are knock offs too)gets those right off. I like to use natural earth and non animal tested cleaning supplies and last I checked they did not meet my criteria. But they were effective in getting the marks off back then.

I loved how close to the ground the bed is. Perfect for pets etc. to jump up on. We used it without the boxspring as is intended with the design and I think it looks best that way. It is a back breaker to make though. You have to lift the mattress up to get the fitted sheet on. And on ours the mattress fell through a lot at times until we put a thin wedge down the center between two unrolling wooden supports. But all in all I adore close to the ground stuff. Feels centered.

If you like this bed style I would check out West Elms beds too. We thought about getting their low platform bed in a deep chocolate color. That bed looks gorgeous. You can get it with headboard or without. We went with a different bed in the end. But I think that it''s a great looking bed.

As for price my strategy is to always use Craigslist. You can get amazing deals there. Especially now stuff is going cheap for fab items. Some stuff just used in home staging or a couple months etc. Modern stuff, antiques and everything. Solid quality wood stuff for less than Kmart prices.

If you want items from any common store like Ikea, Pier 1,Crate and Barrel, Pottery Barn, West Elm, you can search on Craigslist too. I see that West Elm Platform bed on there all the time. I have also seen solid wood platform beds on Craigslist. So you could just do a search on platform bed too. Same with Malm there are tons on there at least where I am. I get all our furniture on Craigslist and it is stuff that originally cost tons that we got for dirt cheap and perfect condition. Also if you need to move you can resell the stuff and when I resell second hand stuff I often get more for it then I paid because I have pretty OK taste, keep things pristine, and we take great photos.

You gotta be safe so only my husband deals with the Craigslist buys and brings a buddy to help pick it up. Best luck can''t wait to see what you pick. Lots of good stuff is on sale this weekend cause there are lots of moves going on.
1.gif

female half 2Artists

Peepa

Shiny_Rock
Date: 7/4/2008 2:59:51 PM
Author: 2Artists
After our previous bed broke down we got the Malm queen bed in white. Bought on massive discount. Then sold it when we got our much loved special bed so it ended up being almost like we had rented it for a short amount of time price wise. Dirt cheap. I''m thinking that it was as if we ''rented'' it for between 15-50 bucks. It has pretty lines and I got it in white because it is veneer and I preferred the straight up white veneer over wood grain veneer. Since I am a sucker for solid wood and figured if I could not afford that then I would get solid white to be different.

The Malm in the white color at least (can''t speak for the others but I assume that it''s the same)does get smudged up black marks a fair amount. I found that a Mr. Clean type sponge (there are knock offs too)gets those right off. I like to use natural earth and non animal tested cleaning supplies and last I checked they did not meet my criteria. But they were effective in getting the marks off back then.

I loved how close to the ground the bed is. Perfect for pets etc. to jump up on. We used it without the boxspring as is intended with the design and I think it looks best that way. It is a back breaker to make though. You have to lift the mattress up to get the fitted sheet on. And on ours the mattress fell through a lot at times until we put a thin wedge down the center between two unrolling wooden supports. But all in all I adore close to the ground stuff. Feels centered.

If you like this bed style I would check out West Elms beds too. We thought about getting their low platform bed in a deep chocolate color. That bed looks gorgeous. You can get it with headboard or without. We went with a different bed in the end. But I think that it''s a great looking bed.

As for price my strategy is to always use Craigslist. You can get amazing deals there. Especially now stuff is going cheap for fab items. Some stuff just used in home staging or a couple months etc. Modern stuff, antiques and everything. Solid quality wood stuff for less than Kmart prices.

If you want items from any common store like Ikea, Pier 1,Crate and Barrel, Pottery Barn, West Elm, you can search on Craigslist too. I see that West Elm Platform bed on there all the time. I have also seen solid wood platform beds on Craigslist. So you could just do a search on platform bed too. Same with Malm there are tons on there at least where I am. I get all our furniture on Craigslist and it is stuff that originally cost tons that we got for dirt cheap and perfect condition. Also if you need to move you can resell the stuff and when I resell second hand stuff I often get more for it then I paid because I have pretty OK taste, keep things pristine, and we take great photos.

You gotta be safe so only my husband deals with the Craigslist buys and brings a buddy to help pick it up. Best luck can''t wait to see what you pick. Lots of good stuff is on sale this weekend cause there are lots of moves going on.
1.gif

female half 2Artists
Thanks for being so detailed! My hubby is already looking on craigslist. I can''t wait. Once we get new/newer furniture, I''m going to go crazy on bedding.

2Artists

Brilliant_Rock
No problem! I can''t wait to hear what you pick! Home design is so fun!
36.gif

female half 2Artists

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results