shape
carat
color
clarity

Florida Keys in January?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

oobiecoo

Ideal_Rock
Hello everyone! Mr. Oobiecoo and I have most likely decided on a vacation to the Keys for our late honeymoon. We''re so excited and have already found a couple of options for where to stay.... BUT does anyone know how cold it feels in January? I just assumed it would be at least 80-90 degrees but I checked Weather.com and the average is 75-62. We''ll probably be staying on the water and that seems a little chilly for me. Does anyone know how warm it actually FEELS in January? Thanks.

Rosebud8506

Brilliant_Rock
Well, DH and I went down to the keys in the first week of April this past spring, and it was HOT (temperature wise, like high 80''s with high humidity during the day, then cools down a bit at night). The water was pretty chilly if I can remember. Where are you going to be staying? Although, we didn''t really go into the water very much in Key West....

I would think the water would be pretty cool in January.

oobiecoo

Ideal_Rock
The place we found is in Tavernier..I''ve never been before so if Tavernier is awful then please let me know! From what I gather, its small and laid back which sounds good for us. Actually getting into the water isn''t a huge requirement for us I guess since there are lots of other activities. I just don''t want to freeze to death laying in a hammock. I guess I could bundle up... but that seems so un-tropical!

Rosebud8506

Brilliant_Rock
Oh fun! I actually hadn't heard of it before, but it says it is in between Key Largo and Islamorada. Both are really nice towns. We stayed in Key largo at the Marriott.

You could always if you haven't yet, read the reviews on trip advisor and see what others say. Key Largo is a smaller, much less hectic town than Key West, located in the Upper Keys. Very good for fishing (we don't fish, but the seafood we ordered at restaurants is very good!) I also found the forums on there helpful because the locals that hang around tripadvisor try their best to answer future travelers' questions. I'm no expert on the Keys, but maybe some of the folks that are on those boards could help you out and tell you what the weather might be like at that time! We also didn't get a chance to do a sunset sail cruise (I think they offer those in winter time, but I would check up on it) so be sure to go on one!

Make sure you have some key lime pie too.... YUM!
18.gif

Laurenj915

Shiny_Rock
I''m from South Florida and it really varies from year to year. Honestly it could be 85 in January but it could be in the 70s. Last year on New year''s I wore a sleeveless mini dress with no sweater and we were outside downtown until 2 or 3 am. No problem. The year before I was in jeans and a sweater and pretty cold. I''m a native so pretty cold is relative for me. It was probably in the high 60s late at night. 70''s during the day.

We usually do go to the beach over winter break but not in the water.

Good luck

fisherofmengirly

Ideal_Rock
We had our honeymoon in the Keys of Florida in January 2007. It was MUCH colder than I was expecting. No short weather at all. We didn't go in the water at the beach, but on our last day there, we did walk the shoreline barefoot.

It's a beautiful place and walking slightly bundled up on the sand is *very* romantic.

Luckily, we had sunny (but still cool) days for the entire trip, save the last day, when a storm rolled in late in the afternoon.

Have fun! We have wonderful memories of being cold and snuggling up in the sand together. Very sweet trip!

I should add that I'm a California girl who thinks anything under 73 degrees is COLD. Paul says it was mild, but just fine. He's hot all the time, so I guess it was really somewhere inbetween.

We stayed in Key Largo for three days and then went to Key West for one day, then to Orlando to hit the amusement parks. I don't remember one Key being colder or warmer than another, though.

oobiecoo

Ideal_Rock
"I should add that I''m a California girl who thinks anything under 73 degrees is COLD. Paul says it was mild, but just fine. He''s hot all the time, so I guess it was really somewhere inbetween."

This is definitely me as well... it just doesn''t get very cold in Texas. I''d much prefer to be a little chilly than super hot though. We''re so excited! Even if its cold, it''ll still have that tropical feel which is something I''m desperstely craving! haha We really need to start booking things!

Rosebud8506

Brilliant_Rock
I''m a MI gal, so anything that is close to 70 in January would sound glorious to me!!
2.gif

Enjoy your trip!!

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Bring layers! I went to Florida around Jan/Feb and froze my butt off because I only packed shorts!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results