shape
carat
color
clarity

Anyone Else Disgusted by Food?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

oobiecoo

Ideal_Rock
The past couple of weeks I''ve just felt SO disgusted by most foods. I read a newspaper article about a certain rodent head being found in a can of beans and I''ve been working on an organic food project for school and listening to other groups'' presentations on obesity and fast food, etc. Its not like I eat a lot of fast food or TONS of processed items, but I did eat some. Now I just CANT!

I''ve been trying to eat more fresh items, less canned, aiming for more organic (as much as budget will allow) but the main thing I still buy thats probably not good is frozen meals. Lean Cuisine or regular Stouffers as well as a frozen pizza here and there. Its just so easy to eat these things since it only takes 5 minutes to warm. Even these have been making me feel queasy lately though.

Does anyone else feel completely turned off of pre-packaged food or dining out? Any tips or recipes? Should I just "get over it" and eat like a normal person? lol

I found a lady who runs a blog on making bento box lunches and it seems like they are so much healthier and fresher so I think I''ll try that. She is American so many of the foods she packs in them are homemade American items like pasta salads or homemade mini pancakes.

brazen_irish_hussy

Ideal_Rock
Here are a couple of recommendations

First, try to avoid dairy and meats. As those are things that spoil easily, people seem to have a natural disinclination to them when feeling weary of food.

Fruit smoothies might work for you. Ones with soy will give you protein and for me at least, its good on a bad stomach.

Bland food is good. I find strong spices or smells make me less hungry when I am feeling that way and something like chicken soup is much more appealing.

You might also be having a reaction to fat. My mother feels ill when she eats to much fat during the day and switching to other things seems to really help her.

For processed stuff, buy Amy''s. It is expensive, but it is all natural and it tastes so good. I am actually glad they aren''t cheap or I would over indulge in pizza snacks.

oobiecoo

Ideal_Rock
Is Amy''s really good? I don''t think I''ve ever tried anything. Fruit smoothies do sound good! I picked up some frozen organic blueberries at Costco so I could use them for that.

*Just realized the healthy lifestyle section might be better for this*

icekid

Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/1/2008 6:44:19 PM
Author:oobiecoo
The past couple of weeks I''ve just felt SO disgusted by most foods. I read a newspaper article about a certain rodent head being found in a can of beans and I''ve been working on an organic food project for school and listening to other groups'' presentations on obesity and fast food, etc. Its not like I eat a lot of fast food or TONS of processed items, but I did eat some. Now I just CANT!

I''ve been trying to eat more fresh items, less canned, aiming for more organic (as much as budget will allow) but the main thing I still buy thats probably not good is frozen meals. Lean Cuisine or regular Stouffers as well as a frozen pizza here and there. Its just so easy to eat these things since it only takes 5 minutes to warm. Even these have been making me feel queasy lately though.
I eat next to nothing that is processed, and because of that my hubby does not eat much either. Sure it may be easy, but it doesn''t taste great. And it''s sooo unhealthy too- so much salt! fat! lack of fruits/veggies. I understand why you can''t stomach it. Consider it a good thing that you are grossed out by processed foods; it will lead to a healthier you
1.gif

KCCutie

Brilliant_Rock
My parents have been trying to eat what they call "living foods" since my mom started her chemo. Basically if it has to die before you eat it it''s out. Now they aren''t terribly strict but they eat mostly salads and smoothies. My mom goes to the local farmers market every week which I think really helps.

Try making veggie pockets....take your favorite veggies and cut them up (the smaller the pieces the faster it cooks) take a piece of foil and spray it with non-stick spray and pile on the veggies add olive oil and spices to taste. Wrap up the veggies in a little pouch and toss it in the oven or on the grill. I test after 30 minutes to see if the veggies are how I like them and if not they go back in. This is yummie over brown rice.

Another great thing to try is a rice cooker(if you don''t have one you can get them at Target for like $20). I make brown rice and put either fresh or frozen veggies in the steamer tray and when it''s all done add some low-sodium soy sauce and Emeril''s Asian spices and it''s a good meal.

And yes maybe I''m just getting older but processed foods make me kinda ill. I haven''t been able to eat hot dogs since I was about 9, but really processed foods just don''t sit so well with me anymore....it''s probably a good thing.
28.gif

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Add me to the list of those who now dislike processed foods, my tastes have changed a lot recently, and now I try to eat '' clean'' where possible.

mercoledi

Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/2/2008 10:08:04 AM
Author: Lorelei
Add me to the list of those who now dislike processed foods, my tastes have changed a lot recently, and now I try to eat '' clean'' where possible.

Ditto. DH and I are spoiled by our food options, we have great markets, veggies delivered to the house, and cheap, fresh local eateries.

Most of my life my parent''s didn''t cook, so I grew up eating almost exclusively fast food and microwavable meals. When I moved out, it was really DH that spearheaded the healthier eating thing. Once you move away from processed foods, it''s hard to go back, everything tastes sweet or salty or downright chemically.

I went to an Agricultural school, and yeah, a few food science courses or a tour of a modern chicken factory definitely put me off food in general for a while.

You just have to decide what your personal boundaries are for food and convenience and see what sticks.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results