shape
carat
color
clarity

The Cupcake Thread!

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
I hear ya Freke. Sometimes baking is a joy and other times its like WTF happened here?!?! I have perfected lemon and vanilla buttermilk as well, but still experimenting with a few other things...I have two carrot cake contenders that are good but about to try a new one with pineapple. I just got a chocolate recipe I loved as well.

But...One of the things I have YET To be happy with is anything with banana in it.

I absolutely love banana. But it seems like no matter whose recipe I use, my banana stuff comes out WAY too moist for me.

Freke, do you know if I should be using overripe bananas or not quite overripe? Is that making them too wet and sticky? Should I not use buttermilk and use milk instead? I love buttermilk''s moisture but it might be too much here? We are super dry in CA too.

When I get banana bread at a bakery or the store it''s always moist yet a little dry as well, and kind of crumbly.

But all of mine come out kind of sticky. People say they like the taste but I TOTALLY don''t....I want to fix it.

It''s become the bane of my baking existence...any banana recipes or tips you can share with me, oh wise one???

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
Mara, did you try that recipe you posted this link to for the chocolate ganache Banana Bread from Kara's cupcakes? They are not too moist and I made them 2x. Not sure if you already made those??? All of us miss you on the Healthier Lifestyles thread, pop in sometime when you aren't too busy
2.gif

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
Drier banana bread recipe coming right up!

Preheat to 350* F

Whisk together:
1 1/3 cup AP flour
3/4 tsp salt
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp baking powder

Cream together:
5 1/2 T butter
2/3 cup sugar

Add the flour mixture to the butter mixture and mix until it''s about the consistency of brown sugar.

Beat in:
2 large, lightly beaten eggs

Fold in:
1 cup very ripe mashed bananas (about 2 medium sized)

This is from Joy Of Cooking (like usual, lol). BF is a banana bread FREAK, so he begs me to make it all of the time. Well I haven''t been happy with a lot of the recipes I''ve found, and actually HE was not happy with this one because it was "too dry" (and it doesn''t have any liquid in it at all-so that''s probably why). But he''s one of those people who likes the really moist stuff. Anyway. I made it in a loaf pan and when it was finally done, it came out with a harder crust than I was expecting-so that was a bit worrisome at first. But I wrapped it up in plastic wrap and left it out overnight, and the next morning the moisture content had re-situated itself so that the crust was no longer hard and almost crunchy, and instead was nice and soft. And the crumb was perfect (IMHO). He still ate it, so all was well, but he was NOT HAPPY when he first came across it.
It''s very dense, and looking at the recipe, I''m not really surprised, because the baking soda doesn''t have any liquid or acid to help it rise. So I''d add 1/4 cup or so of buttermilk in with the eggs and that should help somewhat.
This recipe is very small-only about half a loaf pan, so if I made it again, I''d double it, and add some buttermilk to it for sure, to give it that added depth of flavor as well as some moistness back into it. And hopefully some more leavening....

I always use overripe bananas-like black wrinkled things. I''d stick with the buttermilk, and maybe just cut down on it a little in your original recipe.

Banana stuff is hard to deal with IMO, there are a lot of variables with ripeness and size that makes it harder to deal with. I really have been wanting to try to make some kind of apple cake/bread-but then I start thinking about varieties of apples and I start freaking out...maybe I''ll give in one day.

Mara, you would love my Nutella cake journey. Oh goodness.... Talk about trial and error, and total messes! It''s still not perfect, but so much better than my first or second tries.

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
ooh thanks freke i will try it soon...i''m going to get some more bananas for ripening, round #3 of banana experiments coming!

my fave banana bread is TJ''s banana bread and the ingredient list is like all the right stuff but i wish they had QUANTITIES so i could make it myself hahhaa!

i always use SUPER overripe bananas that look like they are about to disintegrate on the spot, and so then i thought maybe i was using too overripe and they were ''rotten''...but then i made cupcakes with them and people loved them. so random. i will add buttermilk to the bread.

another question...what about a soft fluffy banana CAKE. there is a fab bakery near me that does squares of banana cake, baked in like an 8x8 and they put a thick cream cheese frosting on top, cut it into squares. it''s so yummy...crumbly and soft...not dense at all. any idea on where to start with a recipe for that? most that i come across are for the dense style bread, not fluffy cake.

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
Let me stew on that one for a little bit and do some research after a while. I''ve thought about it before, but haven''t experimented at all. I bet BF would LOVE banana cake. Oy.
40.gif
Seriously, the boy is banana baked goods crazy.

I made blueberry cheesecake bar things today. They are so good. But I screwed up the recipe and over baked them a little bit, so NO pics.

Linda W

Super_Ideal_Rock
My hubby would LOVE LOVE LOVE banana cake.
9.gif
36.gif

Linda

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
oooh Freke research on the banana cake...me likey. do report back when you have a chance!!

here''s a shot for you gals...these absolutely beautiful vanilla buttermilk cupcakes i made for an event for my Mom this wkd.

beautiful vanilla closeup.jpg

Linda W

Super_Ideal_Rock
OH Mara, those are beautiful. What a pro you have become. Those look gorgeous, as well as delicious.

Linda

Brynn

Rough_Rock
Date: 6/29/2008 10:30:09 PM
Author: Brynn
I'm thinking of making the Pequin Chocolate cupcakes from cupcakeblog.com (*Gasp* she's stopped posting!) this week. Has anyone made them before?

Everything that she's posted looks phenomenal. I can't wait to try all of them!!!

30.gif

http://cupcakeblog.com/index.php/2008/02/pequin-chili-chocolate-cupcakes/

Mara, the Mom cupcakes are ADORABLE!

Also, help?!?!

I made the frosting from the cupcakes in the above recipe. Hers looks like a mousse and mine looks like a true ganache. Have I done something horribly wrong or is the picture just not an accurate representation?

Just trying to make sure that I don't food poison everyone this weekend....

Thanks ladies!!!!!

ETA: Here's the recipe for the frosting. Should it be runny???

hili Chocolate Ganache Frosting
1-1/2 cup heavy cream
3/4 teaspoon ground pequin chilies
12 ounces bittersweet or semisweet chocolate, chopped
1/2 stick (4 tablespoons) butter
2-3 cups powdered sugar, optional
1. Heat the cream over medium heat until it bubbles around saucepan edge.
2. Place pepper and chopped chocolate in a medium sized bowl.
3. Pour heated cream over the chocolate
4. Let the mixture sit for about 30 seconds then start whisking it until smooth.
5. Add butter in pats and mix until combined.
6. set aside mixture and stir occasionally with a wooden spoon until cool.
7. Beat with an electric mixer until smooth. Optionally you can add sifted powdered sugar and beat until combine. This will sweeten the frosting and make it less rich and intense. Also helpful if you are low on chocolate and want to stretch the frosting a bit further…

FireGoddess

Super_Ideal_Rock
whoa whoa whoa whoa whoa whoa WHOA.

Freke, did I read that correctly? Nutella cake? Nutella cake PERFECTION?!?!

Please, pretty please with sugar on top let me see that GLORIOUS recipe!!!

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
Lol FG. I wouldn''t say it''s perfect YET. But it''s my best version so far, and I need to attempt another but I need to take a break from the nutella cake. I know, I know-who really needs a break from nutella cake, right? I still need to tweak it. Yup. But I will show you where it''s hidden. (BTW, you can thank gwendolyn!)

Link to the Nutella Journey

These are the other cakes on my list to make up and/or try out:

Ispahan (for Harriet)
Tres Leches
Dulce de tres leches
Coconut cake

And of course, to still tweak the nutella cake.

I think there are more, but I can''t remember right now (I''m busy avoiding doing homework.)

And I need to find a banana cake recipe as well...

Linda W

Super_Ideal_Rock
YES YES YES Banana cake please please please
35.gif
36.gif
9.gif

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/1/2008 6:35:32 PM
I'm thinking of making the Pequin Chocolate cupcakes from cupcakeblog.com (*Gasp* she's stopped posting!) this week. Has anyone made them before?
Everything that she's posted looks phenomenal. I can't wait to try all of them!!!
30.gif

http://cupcakeblog.com/index.php/2008/02/pequin-chili-chocolate-cupcakes/
Mara, the Mom cupcakes are ADORABLE!

Also, help?!?!

I made the frosting from the cupcakes in the above recipe. Hers looks like a mousse and mine looks like a true ganache. Have I done something horribly wrong or is the picture just not an accurate representation?

Just trying to make sure that I don't food poison everyone this weekend....

Thanks ladies!!!!!

ETA: Here's the recipe for the frosting. Should it be runny???

Chili Chocolate Ganache Frosting

1-1/2 cup heavy cream
3/4 teaspoon ground pequin chilies
12 ounces bittersweet or semisweet chocolate, chopped
1/2 stick (4 tablespoons) butter
2-3 cups powdered sugar, optional

1. Heat the cream over medium heat until it bubbles around saucepan edge.
2. Place pepper and chopped chocolate in a medium sized bowl.
3. Pour heated cream over the chocolate
4. Let the mixture sit for about 30 seconds then start whisking it until smooth.
5. Add butter in pats and mix until combined.
6. set aside mixture and stir occasionally with a wooden spoon until cool.
7. Beat with an electric mixer until smooth. Optionally you can add sifted powdered sugar and beat until combine. This will sweeten the frosting and make it less rich and intense. Also helpful if you are low on chocolate and want to stretch the frosting a bit further…
Um. Ganache is an emulsion of chocolate and cream. First of all, the chocolate needs to be chopped as small as possible (I like almost dust-pea sized) and the BEST way to chop chocolate is with a big sturdy serrated knife. And the hot cream needs to be left on the chocolate for more like 5-10 minutes because chocolate is temperamental and needs time to melt by itself. Then you can whisk it-but gently-incorporating air into chocolate is not the best idea. I wouldn't use butter to make mine, but since she's added it...I wouldn't add it where she has. It can throw off the emulsion because butter is its own emulsion. So I'd leave it at room temp until you have the ganache whipped up. A soft ganache will be like a thicker chocolate milk when it's at room temp or warmer. It will somewhat solidify when cooler. You should treat it like it's whipped cream-But keep in mind again that chocolate is still very temperamental.

The filling on this cake is soft ganache:
IMG_1081sized.jpg

Is that more what hers looks like?

Anyway, so let it cool, and then when it's room temp, you can whip it with the mixer, when it's just starting to solidify, thats when to add the butter (and it's SO important that it's room temp) and whip until it's ALMOST the texture you want. Because it's got the same principles as whipped cream, it's very easy to over whip it.

So if it's runny and still a cohesive mass (looks like chocolate milk instead of separated salad dressing-that would be REALLY BAD) you're fine-just whip it up once it's cool, and you should be fine!

And don't forget to post pics!!!!!

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/2/2008 1:40:28 AM
Author: Linda W
YES YES YES Banana cake please please please
35.gif
36.gif
9.gif
LOL Linda! Give me until this weekend K? (Which probably means Friday!) I have to finish this awful class first!!! (And stop avoiding homework so it gets done faster!!!)

Linda W

Super_Ideal_Rock
OK Freke, I can wait. We are going camping this weekend anyway, but....... I''ll be expecting it when we get back, tee hee. Will it have frosting??? hummmmmmmmmmmmm????
18.gif
9.gif

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
Hahahaha!!!!What kind of frosting would you like?

Linda W

Super_Ideal_Rock
how about cream cheese!!!!
36.gif
36.gif
36.gif
36.gif
36.gif

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
You read my mind. Any particular flavor of cream cheese frosting, or just the plain good stuff?

Linda W

Super_Ideal_Rock
Just the plain old good stuff please. You are such a kind lady!!!
36.gif
. My mouth is already watering.
18.gif
. tee hee

Brynn

Rough_Rock
Date: 7/2/2008 1:43:12 AM
Author: FrekeChild
Date: 7/1/2008 6:35:32 PM

Um. Ganache is an emulsion of chocolate and cream. First of all, the chocolate needs to be chopped as small as possible (I like almost dust-pea sized) and the BEST way to chop chocolate is with a big sturdy serrated knife. And the hot cream needs to be left on the chocolate for more like 5-10 minutes because chocolate is temperamental and needs time to melt by itself. Then you can whisk it-but gently-incorporating air into chocolate is not the best idea. I wouldn''t use butter to make mine, but since she''s added it...I wouldn''t add it where she has. It can throw off the emulsion because butter is its own emulsion. So I''d leave it at room temp until you have the ganache whipped up. A soft ganache will be like a thicker chocolate milk when it''s at room temp or warmer. It will somewhat solidify when cooler. You should treat it like it''s whipped cream-But keep in mind again that chocolate is still very temperamental.

The filling on this cake is soft ganache:

IMG_1081sized.jpg

Is that more what hers looks like?

Anyway, so let it cool, and then when it''s room temp, you can whip it with the mixer, when it''s just starting to solidify, thats when to add the butter (and it''s SO important that it''s room temp) and whip until it''s ALMOST the texture you want. Because it''s got the same principles as whipped cream, it''s very easy to over whip it.

So if it''s runny and still a cohesive mass (looks like chocolate milk instead of separated salad dressing-that would be REALLY BAD) you''re fine-just whip it up once it''s cool, and you should be fine!

And don''t forget to post pics!!!!!

That cake looks fabulous. Freke I am always so amazed at your baking knowledge.

Absolutely. Yours is exactly the same shade that hers is. Mine solidified after refrigeration to the point where I could frost with no problems, but is a much much darker color. It tastes fine, it just has the appearance of um, well, a pile of dog poo? Not exactly what I had in mind, but I put some fondant circles on top to disguise it.

I''ll upload pictures after I get home!!

Thanks honey!

2.gif

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
I made the BEST ganache last week for my friend''s ice cream cake. I was eating it out of the BOWL. I did it with 70% dark and then some milk and lots of cream. YUM. I don''t put butter in my ganache anymore after I had it separate and be gross once. You can just refridge it to whatever consistency you want too.

I also have HORRIBLE luck with whipped cream....I can beat it stiff and pretty but once I add sugar or something else in, it gets SO thin...I hate using it for cupcakes. 7 minute or boiled icing is pretty good and can get really fluffy and stiff.

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
Thanks Brynn! It took a lot of years to accumulate all that info. And you''re welcome!

Mara- isn''t separated ganache gross?

Banana Cake!!!! (an older recipe from The Mesa Grill, NYC) I''m sorry it''s all in weight measure, but this was the best sounding recipe I found.

1 pound cake flour
1 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp salt
5 oz butter
7 oz granulated sugar
4.5 oz whole eggs (Probably about 2 eggs + a yolk)
7 oz mashed bananas
2 oz sour cream
1 T vanilla extract

Preheat at 375* F, 190* C

Sift flour, baking soda, and salt three times.
Cream butter and sugar until lighter and fluffy.
Beat in eggs, one at a time, until light and fluffy.
Stir together bananas, sour cream and vanilla
Add the banana mixture to the batter, alternating with the dry ingredients until combined.
Spread the batter into the prepared pan and bake until a light golden brown. Set on a rack to cool.

Here''s my basic Cream Cheese Icing recipe:

1 lb cream cheese
8 oz butter
8 oz powdered sugar
1 T vanilla extract

Make sure butter and cream cheese are room temp-and microwaving doesn''t work in this recipe. I''ve tried it.
40.gif

Using a paddle attachment for a stand mixer (or whatever you''ve got) blend cream cheese on low speed until smooth.
Add butter in stages, and blend well each time.
Add powdered sugar and blend on low speed until fully incorporated.
Beat on high speed until light and fluffy, around 5 minutes.
Blend in vanilla.

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
oooh freke, THANK YOU, i will try that banana cake very soon. i snagged a random banana from my mom''s house and it''s ripening here in the kitchen. i figure i can half the recipe to just make a tiny cake to try. re: microwaving butter...i have found that i can do it just SLIGHTLY to help it get a little soft if i need to hasten it...but really only like 10 seconds. anything past that and it can''t be used in a cupcake recipe (creaming butter and sugar doesnt work then, it never creams!)...i found that out the hard way but have been since successful with the ~10-12 seconds to start it off if i am short on time. and yes separated ganache is NASTY....it''s like a gross granular textured PASTE.

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
Oooo...I meant not to microwave cream cheese to room temp. I microwave butter all of the time-that''s easy to fix if it gets a little too melty, but with cream cheese it doesn''t heat up consistently and the warm spots get too warm and the cold spots are too cold so it creates lumps. I''ve been making lots of cheesecake lately (with blue berries and a pecan graham cracker crust) and I keep trying to rush it, and end up with lots of little lumps. Not fun.

The last time I microwaved cream cheese and used it in frosting, the cheese broke down and even though it was salvageable, it never set up properly once refrigerated. So it still tasted good, but wasn''t the texture I like.

Jaders731

Brilliant_Rock

OK ladies...

I have been a silent lurker on this thread for a loooong time.. (I think I posted once back in its first days...) Life has been sooo very busy, working as a pastry chef is time consuming stuff... SOOOO... without further ado...

Here are my S'mores Mini Cuppies... I made them for the 4th of July... This was before I toasted them with a torch.. sorry I dont have pics of that... I can post the recipe if ya'll want...

Graham Cake, Semi-sweet Choc. Ganache, and Swiss Meringue... mmmmm.. soo sticky!

ETA: Holy Cupcake.. sheeshh.. they really are mini's I swear.. sorry that pic is sooo huge!

Small Smores Cuppies.JPG

Linda W

Super_Ideal_Rock
Freke: THANK YOU, THANK YOU, THANK YOU, for the Banana Cake recipe. YUMMMMMMMMMMMMMMY!!!!

Jaders: Your cupcakes look delicious

18.gif

Linda

ellaila

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 7/6/2008 8:54:43 PM
Author: Jaders731

Here are my S''mores Mini Cuppies... I made them for the 4th of July... This was before I toasted them with a torch.. sorry I dont have pics of that... I can post the recipe if ya''ll want...

Graham Cake, Semi-sweet Choc. Ganache, and Swiss Meringue... mmmmm.. soo sticky!

ETA: Holy Cupcake.. sheeshh.. they really are mini''s I swear.. sorry that pic is sooo huge!
Naaaaaaah ...

3.gif

OMG, post it NOW, woman!!!!!
1.gif
(please)

Linda W

Super_Ideal_Rock
YES, please post away!!!!! I imagine they won''t last long in my house, along with Freke''s banana cake!!!
9.gif

Linda W

Super_Ideal_Rock
Whoa Michelle, they will love you for that!!!!!

Linda

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
jaders...those are so cute. i made s''mores cuppies for 4th too...they came out so YUMMY. i did a baked graham crust, a chocolate chip brownie baked on top and then melted a trader joe''s marshmallow on top...so tasty. i also did the marshmallow frosting last week for coconut chocolate cupcakes, it looked like your smbc!...so pretty and shiny.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results