shape
carat
color
clarity

Help for the new guy

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Mrclean8586

Rough_Rock
I''ve been lurking here for a while because I want to pop the question. I have been doing research on my own and stumbled across this site. I''ve been lurking like I said just reading etc. etc. I''m still no guru and need some help!

I''ve stumbled across a diamond that SEEMS to be a good deal!
Just would like some other opinions on it.

It''s EGL certified (from what I have read this can or can not be a bad thing)

1.71 Ct.
Excellent Ideal Cut
D color
Clarity SI3
Depth: 61.4
Table: 56%
Crown Height: 15%
Pavilion Depth: 43%
Girdle Thickness: Medium, Faceted
Polish/Symmetry = Excellent/Excellent
Culet: None
Graining: Nil
Fluorescence: Slight Blue
Measurements: 7.73 - 7.68 x 4.73 mm

I know the clarity stands out at SI3 but if it was eye clean would this be ok for 7,000?

To me this seems great, but like I said I''m new and would really like other people to see if those numbers match up with the price.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 6/30/2008 11:37:05 AM
Author:Mrclean8586
I've been lurking here for a while because I want to pop the question. I have been doing research on my own and stumbled across this site. I've been lurking like I said just reading etc. etc. I'm still no guru and need some help!

I've stumbled across a diamond that SEEMS to be a good deal!
Just would like some other opinions on it.

It's EGL certified (from what I have read this can or can not be a bad thing)

1.71 Ct.
Excellent Ideal Cut
D color
Clarity SI3
Depth: 61.4
Table: 56%
Crown Height: 15%
Pavilion Depth: 43%
Girdle Thickness: Medium, Faceted
Polish/Symmetry = Excellent/Excellent
Culet: None
Graining: Nil
Fluorescence: Slight Blue
Measurements: 7.73 - 7.68 x 4.73 mm

I know the clarity stands out at SI3 but if it was eye clean would this be ok for 7,000?

To me this seems great, but like I said I'm new and would really like other people to see if those numbers match up with the price.
Welcome to Pricescope!

This might be a good looking diamond, but firstly do you know which branch of EGL graded this diamond? EGL USA is said to be the most accurate, but it is said that other EGL labs may grade less strictly, so we need to know if it is EGL USA, Israel, Europe, Antwerp etc - especially important if an undisputed D colour is very important to you. If you could find out that info, that would be most useful. Also SI3 is a term EGL use only, so this diamond could be graded an I1 by another lab such as GIA. Have you seen it in person and is it with a brick and mortar jeweller, or an online vendor? It is a larger diamond so there is a possibility it may not be eyeclean, if it is with an online seller, then you would need to check very carefully that it is eyeclean to your standards.

Also Excellent Ideal Cut sounds like a vendor applied label, although this diamond appears from the info given to be nicely cut, terms such as the above don't guarantee you a well cut diamond, I just wanted to bring that up just in case.

Splinter

Shiny_Rock
Scores very well on the HCA. My concerns would be the EGL cert and the SI3. Can you find out exactly which EGL lab it was?

Mrclean8586

Rough_Rock
The certificate says EGL Europe so I'm assuming that is the lab that graded it. What exactly is HCA? Also I have NOT seen this diamond in person yet. It's from uniondiamond. While I'm on that topic is uniondiamond trustworthy or do they sell the "cheap" diamonds that grade "well" but look bad. What is the best way to work with an online dealer to view the diamond before purchasing? I know uniondiamond has the 30-day return policy but I would rather not buy so I can inspect it just to send it back. Thanks!

*EDIT* excellent ideal cut is what is labled on the EGL certificate. Uniondiamond simply says select ideal.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 6/30/2008 12:06:02 PM
Author: Mrclean8586
The certificate says EGL Europe so I'm assuming that is the lab that graded it. What exactly is HCA? Also I have NOT seen this diamond in person yet. It's from uniondiamond. While I'm on that topic is uniondiamond trustworthy or do they sell the 'cheap' diamonds that grade 'well' but look bad. What is the best way to work with an online dealer to view the diamond before purchasing? I know uniondiamond has the 30-day return policy but I would rather not buy so I can inspect it just to send it back. Thanks!
HCA is the Holloway Cut Advisor under Tools top right of the page. Union Diamond do have a good rep as far as I am aware, but I am not that familiar with them. It sounds as if the diamond has an EGL Europe report, what you could do if you wanted this diamond, is to have it sent to an independant appraiser near you by UD if they are agreeable, then you could see the diamond in person and get an appraisal on it to make sure it checks out. Also you would need to check that this is an in house or inventory diamond from UD, it is easier to consider in house diamonds which the vendor can advise you on without having to call it in, also very often useful aids such as Idealscope, photographs etc have been done, so you can see what you are buying.

Also I don't know if this would ever be a consideration, but unlike some of the other vendors, to the best of my knowledge UD don't have a trade in policy, if you want to get a larger diamond in future. Also you could drop the colour if you wished and still have a very white diamond, to an F G or H for example, if size of the diamond is a priority and budget.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results