shape
carat
color
clarity

#TBT My recut/reset heirloom Aquamarine.

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock

This post is kind of long, so you antsy pants might want to scroll on down to the pics.

9.gif
25.gif

For those that don’tknow the story, my grandmother left me an Aquamarine ring when she passed away 33 years ago. It was quite large for my taste, and I didn’t wear it that often because of it. After coming to PS, and seeing Richard Homer’srecuts, I began to entertain the thought of having him recut it. I finally made a thread about that, about a year and a half ago. It was the overwhelming sentiment to not recut it. So, I sat on it for another year, still wanting to, but trying to love it as it was, which proved impossible. When a classmate of mine died last fall, I said to my husband, “Before I know it, I will be laying on my deathbed, wishing I had recut this stone”. Life is short. So with that, I told the old girl she was getting a face lift.

I sent her off the last part of last October, and Richard worked his absolute magic. Because it was shallow, the only shapes he could do were square, round or cushion. As much as the cushion sounded lovely, I adore square cuts, and had already decided to keep it as close to the original (rectangular) emerald cut as possible. So a stunning square emerald she became. It is very diamond like, in that it has many moods/looks/shades. Stunning, just stunning. I couldn't be happier. Kudos to Richard!!

36.gif

As some know, I had sent it to Quest to be set, they were doing something custom for me. Unfortunately (or so it would seem), it didn’t go well. I ended up bringing the stone back home without the setting. Back at square one, I decided to do what I had originally wanted to do, send it to Leon Mege. I had abandoned that notion for a couple reasons. But something said “do it”, so I did.

I had wanted a plain band with 4 prongs, no basket. This stone catches so much light, and can be so firey, I wanted as little metal as possible. He said with the stone a bit on the larger side, it wasn’t as safe. Not an absolute no, but he didn’t recommend it. He recommended the simple solitaire path, and at that point I said to do whatever he felt was best for the stone. Outside of agreeing it would get claws (though I didn’t know how many), not a super thin band, and showing him a couple prong pics for curve, I basically gave him carte blanche. Let me tell ya, for someone who likes to be in control, it was a rather liberating experience! All you control freaks should try it. lol

Leon came through just as I expected, the setting could NOT be more perfect. I love everything about it, from the swoonable profile, to the prongs that swoop up and meld with the corners. It’s so comfy, I hardly know it’s on, which is how I love my rings. What can I say, I’m in love!! And I have enjoyed this ring more in the last few weeks, than in all the years I’ve had it, seriously. I am SO glad I did this. It’s even more precious to me than it was.

Funny how things work out sometimes. I ended up with exactly what I had wanted in the very first place.
5.gif

I will do a lengthy review of the entire journey sometime in the future. My uncanny knack for having bad luck with jewelry managed to follow me through this process as well. So I will leave everything else for that, and this will be a happy thread!

I must take a moment to thank the sweet gals who helped keep me sane, answered questions and gave advice behind the scenes. Without them, this would have been even harder than it was. So a huge Thank You, to Lorelei, ds, Kaleigh, DeeJay, mrss, Skippy, Alj, and last, but certainly never least, Harriet.

I will post a pic of the original ring for comparison. The stone was approximately 5.33 cts., measuring 13.6 x 9 x 6.4. After recut, it is 2.88 cts., measuring 8.34 x 8.20 x 6.24. Perfect size, for me.

Now, on with the show! Oh, and guys, you know how we’re always telling people we can never have too many pics? Well, I hope “we” really mean that, as I am posting with reckless abandon today! This is my last hurrah for a very long time.

Original ring.

Aqua04.JPG

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
She was very self concious at first about her new look, she didn''t want me around. I caught her sunning one day.

Aqua7809.JPG

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
So I tried to sneak up on her, but she heard me and tried to hide.

Aqua7888.JPG

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
So I waited until she was asleep, and caught her in the box!

Aqua7417.JPG

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
I immediately put on her on my finger, it was time to enjoy!

Aqua7208.JPG

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
30.gif

Aqua7517.JPG

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
bat%20eyes3.gif

Aqua7795.JPG

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Beautimous!

Aqua7767.JPG

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
*swoon*

Aqua7233.JPG

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock

Aqua7308.JPG

scarlet16

Brilliant_Rock
Oh Ellen...as soon as I heard whispers that you had a project in the works, I've been waiting for this thread! AND YOU DID NOT DISAPPOINT!!!! That is gorgeous. Now I want one!!! So sleek and fluid, yet delicate, and that blue is to die for! Oh, and your photos, as usual are fantastic.
36.gif
36.gif
Way to go Leon!

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Love the crown.

Aqua7804.JPG

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
In my shadow. Love this.

Aqua7697.JPG

iluvcarats

Ideal_Rock
That is just AMAZING!
30.gif
30.gif
30.gif

WOW
Enjoy your gorgeous new ring!

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Love the contrast!

Aqua7307.JPG

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Catching some early morning rays.
5.gif

Aqua7837.JPG

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
This one is special, not because of the pic, but because that rocker in the background belonged to this grandmother, and she rocked me many a time in that. Yes, I am a sentimental old fool.
2.gif

Aqua7527.JPG

scarlet16

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 6/3/2008 7:57:30 AM
Author: Ellen
Love the contrast!

I always thought down the line I''d get a step cut diamond...but this picture has made me re-think that. Now I want a colored stone step cut!!!

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
1.gif

Aqua7821.JPG

RoseRed

Shiny_Rock
Well, that did it Ellen! You officially have the two rings I most covet on PS. I absolutely looove your Aqua recut.
And the Leon...well, just scrumptious. (wait til the DH sees this one....you are totally helping my cause!)

Thanks!

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock

Aqua7760.JPG

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock

Aqua7371.JPG

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
I was sitting on the edge of my patio and it caught the green grass.

Aqua7684.JPG

Maisie

Super_Ideal_Rock
OOohhhh Ellen!!! Its so beautiful!!!
30.gif
30.gif
30.gif
30.gif

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
She even does tricks! Obviously this is a straight on shot, yet, look at the band!
lol.gif

Aqua7100.JPG

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
mmmmmm

Aqua7751.JPG

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
I love how the light is hitting the band.

Aqua7936.JPG

Efe

Brilliant_Rock
It is just beautiful. I think your grandmother would be so pleased that you made it into something you love. The picture with the rocker is priceless.

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
Ellen, it is GORGEOUS!!!! I was lucky enough to see this beauty *in person* and the aquamarine is exquisite!!
16.gif
31.gif
30.gif
When she and I were shopping none of the aquamarines looked nearly as beautiful as Ellen's Richard Homer cut Aqua. Congrats on your new beauty and wonderful pics as always! hehe
35.gif

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
The sun went behind a cloud here.

Aqua7542.JPG

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results