shape
carat
color
clarity

Will my size 6.5 finger dwarf a 1.00 ct center stone?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

adhesive

Shiny_Rock
I''ve looked through TONS of photos on PS, but with the majority of members having ring sizes of 3.5, 4, 5, etc., it''s been quite difficult to get a good idea of what a 1.00 ct solitaire will look like on my ginormous finger. I''ve been hinting to my bf about a certain 2 ct stone, but it''s outrageously priced (I prefer premium cut, super ideal, colorless stones to larger, less "perfect" ones - I just love TONS of uniform sparkles) and the 1.5 cts aren''t much better. I''d be as pleased as a peacock with a really beautiful 1.00 ct stone, I''m just afraid that since it''s going to be a solitaire more or less, and since my ring size is on the larger side, that it will dwarf that gorgeous rock and I''ll develop a bad case of shrinking diamond syndrome.

So, what do you think? Should I really be concerned or am I just over-analyzing things?

Deelight

Ideal_Rock

spike13

Shiny_Rock
I think it''s a matter of personal preference.

I have a size 7 finger and tried on everything from 1 - 2.26. I thought they all looked proportionate and it really just depends on personal taste.

For me, from a practical point of view I felt the larger stones stuck up too much to really work. It seemed they''d always be getting snagged in things like sweaters and such.

So, go with what you like, I think a 1 ct would work just fine if that''s what you want.

also check out the sticky message at the top of this forum. On the last page there''s a chart that shows finger coverage for various size stones.

merlinthecat

Rough_Rock
1ct is a very good size and will look wonderful on your finger.

Remember...at some point in the future, when funds allow, you can always upgrade
31.gif

So consider buying from a vendor who has a trade-in policy.

Merl

Splinter

Shiny_Rock
This chart of finger coverage might help...
RBCSizeOnFingerCP43543.jpg

jstarfireb

Ideal_Rock
I have a 1.0ct princess on a 6.75 finger. It looks gorgeous, but at times I wish I would have gone with 1.2 or so, or maybe a 3-stone (princess + 2 tapered baguettes = classy!). Here are my handshots. Keep in mind that if you''re getting a round stone, it will look slightly larger than a princess of the same carat weight.

But please don''t say a 6.5 is "large!" There''s a reason why most stock rings are size 7...because most women do NOT have size 3.5-4 fingers. Heck, my mom wears a 9.5! My PINKY is a 4, and while I''m 5''8" tall, I''m not heavy, and people have always admired my "long, slender fingers." Just an example of how size is so relative...you shouldn''t feel bad at all about your ring size.

ahappygirl

Brilliant_Rock
You have a normal finger size, but I know the feeling. I wear a 6.5 and whenever I look at PS I feel like I have gorilla hands! And I think 1 ct will look amazing!! It''s all in the stone! You can always change a setting down the line or pick a wedding band / other bands to add more sparkle if so desired.
Good luck!

adhesive

Shiny_Rock
Thanks soooo much everyone! You''ve been quite helpful. I''m not sure why I hadn''t stumbled upon the size 6 and size 7 SMTR threads - but they''ve been enormously helpful.

I''m definitely going to go with a vendor that has a trade-in policy just in case
31.gif
but after looking at some more photos and reading the finger coverage charts, I think I''m going to go just a hair larger than 1 ct (maybe 1.3, 1.4 or even 1.5 if my bf has the funds for a really nice one.)

jstarfireb - I''m going to try to get my hands on a jubilee (*wish me luck*) because I love the look of a square cut with the brilliance of an rb ( *swoon* how I love the jubilee!
30.gif
)

I''m glad some of you understand the feeling. I certainly didn''t mean that my finger is literally "ginormous!" But I guess after admiring gorgeous 2-3 ct stones on size 4 fingers on PS for so long (I''m a long time lurker), my perspective has been warped just a bit.

Thanks again, everyone! I''ll post again with updates and let you all know what I decide (or what *he* decides... tehe.)

swingirl

Ideal_Rock
I think certain settings can make a difference, too. My friend has a 7.5 ring size and a 1 carat in a WF Allegro setting and really looks substantial with the split shank.

But honestly a nice 1 ct is going to look beautiful no matter what.

tberube

Brilliant_Rock
Surely, that''s a matter of opinion but I have a ~1ct. diamond and a size 6.5 finger, and I love the size. I''d say it''s a pretty common finger size (despite the abundance of those lucky size 3.5 ladies on here
2.gif
), and an exceedingly common diamond size.

If you''re still unsure, try a few on. Also, try some with halos....they''re fashionable and really take the size of your diamond to the next level!

Good luck searching!

krisvrn

Brilliant_Rock
I think a round or oval 1ct stone would look lovely on your finger. Those shapes tend to look larger.

marcy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
As so many have said, I think it is all about personal preference. I tend to like smaller stones about 5 to 6 mm in diameter. As long as you pick something you like on your hand, I am sure you''ll love it. I can''t wait to see what you get.

Rhea

Ideal_Rock
Premium
You don''t have huge fingers and that is not a small sized stone! I think, for a lot of people, there is no getting around DSS. It''s just a fact of life. You get used to seeing something on you, newish haircut, your watch that you thought had too big of a face, diamond ring, and they start to look normal.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results