shape
carat
color
clarity

Etching vs. Engraving + * What to make of this? *

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

GemView

Shiny_Rock
Warning: A bit of a long story to follow.
18.gif

Hi, all.

I have a two-part question for you. One is a vocabulary question regarding when a piece of jewelry is "etched" vs. "engraved". The second is a situational question.

I recently joined a ladies group and yesterday was my second visit. Out of about 10 members I know two because they are friends of mutual friends.

So here we are sitting around this table and in walks one of the members who just got back from her honeymoon (which I pick up on because people begin to exclaim "So-and-so is back from her honeymoon!"). She takes her seat catty-corner to me and we introduce ourselves. Right off, she strikes me as a very strong, outgoing and self-assured 40-something woman. She comments that I look familiar, and I mention a couple of names that it turns out she knows (though I don't recall meeting her prior to this).

I'm sitting there for a bit as people continue to arrive when a younger married gal sitting to my left, whom I had sat next to the previous week, suddenly turns her head in my direction -- which she hadn't done up to that point -- and says, "I just wanted to let you know that I was checking out your ring last week and it is absolutely stunning!" (About two weeks back we purchased a new setting for my diamond, as pictured in my avatar.) Without missing a beat, a 60-something woman across from me chimes in and says "Is that a new ring?" (How that question would come up since they never met me while wearing my old setting seems strange. Maybe because in typical PS fashion I am obsessive about keeping my jewelry clean?)

Because I am honest with others to a fault and have probably lost some perspective on how people think outside the world of PS, I reply without thinking "Oh no. The stone isn't new, just the setting." (Forgetting that a lot of people would probably interpret such an admission as materialistic or lacking in sentimentality to upgrade or alter a wedding/e-ring in any way.)

Before I can reply, another lady pipes up and says "Was that a custom design?"

Then, to my right, my casual friend, who recalls my original e-ring setting says, "I was wondering if that was a different ring!"

Of course, I can't respond to everyone's comments simultaneously -- other than a nod, smile or hasty "thank you" -- so I turn to the one person at the table who remembers my original setting and tell her a quickie version of my upgrade setting story (which you can read here). I'm talking in hushed tones at this point, but given how many of us are packed around the table it would not be surprising if others overheard.

As you can imagine, I am feeling like the center of attention by now. The problem is, I don't generally enjoy so much attention, especially from people I don't know all that well (and particularly when I don't have time to respond or acknowledge so many comments). Of course, none of these ladies know that I love jewelry but not in the status symbol sense. In fact, if I were stranded on a desert island and found a treasure trunk of jewels, I'd still love them even if there weren't a single soul to show off to. My point being, no matter what "first impressions" may be, I am not into jewelry to "prove" anything to anyone else.

Getting back to the story, not only am I growing uncomfortable in the limelight, but I feel all the attention on me is inappropriate because we have a new bride in the room who has just come back from her honeymoon and SHE should be getting some attention. So I glance at her hand and notice a beautiful platinum setting holding three diamonds with a simple, classic engraved wedding band beside it. I say to her "I love the engraving on your rings!" She smiles appreciatively but immediately corrects me and says it is not engraving but "etching".

First Question: Is engraving and etching, in terms of jewelry, one and the same thing? Finally, which term is preferred by those "in the trade"?

Being a jewelry addict I should know the correct terminology, but I can only think of the term "etching" in relation to graphic art (in which I have a background). In that context, etching involves the application of acids to create patterns and designs (printmaking plates, glass, etc.). But, of course, I say only "Oh", not knowing how else to respond. Next, I turn my attention to the far end of the table. Moments later I turn my head back at which point I catch the tail end of a remark made by a late 50ish woman sitting between the new bride and the 20-something gal to my left who paid the original compliment. And I hear: "...[but] the ring doesn't make the marriage."

Second Question: What is your take on this situation? I can't help but feel that the green-eyed monster made an appearance!
38.gif
Maybe I am overreacting, but that last comment, in particular, didn't leave a good impression on me. I have had an invitation to participate elsewhere so this is by far not the only reason, but I'm now taking this recent experience under consideration as I decide whether or not to stick it out or move on. My take the previous week on the gal who paid me the compliment was that she was sizing me up according to my jewelry and my handbag. And despite her kind words about my ring this week, I can't help but feel it was a competitive vs. curious "sizing up". Yes, I carry nice handbags and wear nice jewelry but everything else about me and my wardrobe is ordinary/underwhelming -- nowhere near "couture"! Anyhow, I have until next Tuesday to make up my mind whether or not to give this particular group of ladies another shot. I guess what I'm trying to figure out is whether I should let the water flow under the bridge, or let my gut reactions/impressions be the deciding factor.

I appreciate any thoughts on either or both questions.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I see no reason whatsoever to think the comment about the ring not making the marriage having anything to do with you. It couldn''t since the person didn''t even know you.

I think in a group of ladies, at least someone will notice a beautiful ring. So you will encounter this again eventually. Just go back the next time and eventually everyone will have seen your new ring and they''ll be on to new topics! I think it sounds like a failry predictable conversation. But like you, I would have been a little embarrassed to be the center of attention in a group.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh, and I forgot to say, I don''t think I have heard the term "etching" in relation to jewelry either. Some sales clerk probably told her the wrong thing!

GemView

Shiny_Rock
Date: 5/28/2008 6:27:39 PM
Author: diamondseeker2006
I see no reason whatsoever to think the comment about the ring not making the marriage having anything to do with you. It couldn't since the person didn't even know you.

I think in a group of ladies, at least someone will notice a beautiful ring. So you will encounter this again eventually. Just go back the next time and eventually everyone will have seen your new ring and they'll be on to new topics! I think it sounds like a failry predictable conversation. But like you, I would have been a little embarrassed to be the center of attention in a group.

Thanks, diamondseeker2006.

I had never heard the term etching refer to jewelry either. I've always used "engraving" but I could be wrong...

As for the comment about the ring not making the marriage, you could be right. I took it as a possible attempt to reassure the younger women sitting between us that they shouldn't put any stock in how nice one ring is vs. another -- i.e. "Don't be jealous; they could be miserable."

Perhaps I should have mentioned that at the moment I turned and heard that last comment she looked me right in the eye. Also, prior to that, I had the impression she is accustomed to being somewhat of a mother figure to younger women but not necessarily in a positive sense (feeling some critical vibes). That initial impression was somewhat confirmed later on when she spoke of her young adult adoptive children as if they were balls and chains (rolling her eyes, speaking only of the negatives, etc).
32.gif
If it weren't for the other bits and pieces I had gathered, maybe I wouldn't have felt that her last comment related to me. However, I was aware when I turned my head away briefly that they were still talking about the ring (the woman who complimented me on the left, and three woman to her left including the woman who made the comment as I turned back). Hmm...

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Well, she doesn''t sound like the most pleasant person to be around in general, then. Maybe try once more and see what the group is like again. I''d hate to judge anything on just one visit.

GemView

Shiny_Rock
Date: 5/28/2008 6:53:33 PM
Author: diamondseeker2006
Well, she doesn''t sound like the most pleasant person to be around in general, then. Maybe try once more and see what the group is like again. I''d hate to judge anything on just one visit.

Good point...

waterlilly

Brilliant_Rock
right...who does that? corrects someone on a slight wording difference when they pay you a compliment?
I say give ''em another chance, but don''t bow down. what is the point of a ladies group if you aren''t amongst women who are there to build you up?
Give it another shot, but if you leave feeling at all down or guilty or anything but happy and excited for the next meeting, it''s time to move on.

GemView

Shiny_Rock
Date: 5/28/2008 8:38:56 PM
Author: waterlilly
right...who does that? corrects someone on a slight wording difference when they pay you a compliment?

That''s exactly what my reaction was! Here I was trying to be gracious and didn''t want to horde the sudden onslaught of attention and then.... a correction to a compliment? In these sorts of situations you can''t really respond with anything along the lines of "I''m a jewelry collector and actually...." or "I''m a member of Pricescope and usually it is referred to as..." Correcting a correction would even be even more tacky!
20.gif

Good advice about coming away feeling excited and energized about the situation vs. edgy or drained. I felt off kilter after leaving the first meeting but came back for the second anyhow. I wanted to chalk up some of the weird vibes to just the usual jitters about being the new person, but after what happened I began to question if it is more than that. I''ll give it another shot and go from there.

Thanks for sharing your perspective, waterlilly.
1.gif

Elmorton

Ideal_Rock
Here''s my take - maybe the bride was just as embarrassed as you were about the whole ring thing and responded cooly because she didn''t want the attention you were getting or simply chose a poor response (we''ve all done it). My close friends know I adore jewelry (I love what you said about the island and treasure chest - EXACTLY!) but I try not to talk about it with acquaintances, or even with friends, because I think people DO equate the topic with finances, and that makes me uncomfortable as well.

I wouldn''t give up on this group of ladies yet, and I think there are all kinds of interpretations of the statement you overheard that have nothing to do with you (for instance, it could have been a woman explaining her relationship with her own ring - I know so many people that didn''t put an iota of thought into their rings because they simply don''t care about them). But, if they''re genuinely making you feel tense when you''re around them, bail.

Also - I wonder if the difference (real or perceived) is that one is cast and the other is handmade? Hand-engraving is way more expensive than cast engraving...don''t know why she''d want to offer that information, but whatever.

GemView

Shiny_Rock
Elmorton: Here''s my take - maybe the bride was just as embarrassed as you were about the whole ring thing and responded cooly because she didn''t want the attention you were getting or simply chose a poor response (we''ve all done it). My close friends know I adore jewelry (I love what you said about the island and treasure chest - EXACTLY!) but I try not to talk about it with acquaintances, or even with friends, because I think people DO equate the topic with finances, and that makes me uncomfortable as well.

GemView: A short while after I overheard the "ring doesn''t make the marriage" comment, to which I had no response, the women to my left, including the recent bride, continued to talk amongst themselves at which point the new bride pulled off her rings and began to pass them around. She certainly didn''t strike me as the least bit of the wallflower/reserved type -- anything but! (If anything, that''s how some people would describe me -- usually people who don''t know me very well, LOL.)

I wouldn''t give up on this group of ladies yet, and I think there are all kinds of interpretations of the statement you overheard that have nothing to do with you (for instance, it could have been a woman explaining her relationship with her own ring - I know so many people that didn''t put an iota of thought into their rings because they simply don''t care about them). But, if they''re genuinely making you feel tense when you''re around them, bail.

Due to the context, I hadn''t thought of the possibility that she was speaking of her own ring but I suppose it is possible since I had pretty much dropped the subject prior to turning my head and catching that comment. Good point.

Also - I wonder if the difference (real or perceived) is that one is cast and the other is handmade? Hand-engraving is way more expensive than cast engraving...don''t know why she''d want to offer that information, but whatever.

Thats a possibility I hadn''t thought of, either. Perhaps someone in the trade will weigh in?

LGK

Ideal_Rock
I''ve also always heard the word etching as meaning, acid on plate for printmaking. (But then, I took print for years in art college, so it could just be what is familiar to me.) But I have never heard it applied to jewelry. Weird that she corrected you, indeed, especially when I think your term was the common/correct one.

Personally? I''d take my toys and go to the other group you mentioned as a possible option. But then, a large group of women I barely know, combined with weird vibes and possibly catty comments, would leave me preferring a root canal over returning, but that''s just my introverted take on things.

Love in Bloom

Ideal_Rock
I often hear the term 'etching' used incorrectly to refer to engraving. I think today etching refers to a design that is made using a laser or a machine, without any really deep relief. This can also be achieved by hand. There is a type of handwork that is done with a tool called a 'graver' and thus when this technique is employed the resulting piece is considered 'engraved'. Although this term is also used loosely too, such as when people refer to things as 'machine engraved'. Call it whatever you want ... I just call it pretty!

I'm so sorry the attention made you uncomfortable GemView. I too prefer the emphasis placed on jewelry as sentimental and fun rather than as a status symbol. Although inevitably, some people will think otherwise
7.gif

GemView

Shiny_Rock
Date: 5/29/2008 12:37:26 AM
Author: LittleGreyKitten
I''ve also always heard the word etching as meaning, acid on plate for printmaking. (But then, I took print for years in art college, so it could just be what is familiar to me.) But I have never heard it applied to jewelry. Weird that she corrected you, indeed, especially when I think your term was the common/correct one.

Personally? I''d take my toys and go to the other group you mentioned as a possible option. But then, a large group of women I barely know, combined with weird vibes and possibly catty comments, would leave me preferring a root canal over returning, but that''s just my introverted take on things.

My thoughts exactly. Etching in my mind connotes printmaking. I can completely relate to your last comment too -- I have no fear of dentists but I run, run, run from catty types
37.gif
! Thanks for putting in your 2¢, LittleGreyKitten.

GemView

Shiny_Rock
Date: 5/29/2008 2:33:24 PM
Author: Love in Bloom

Call it whatever you want ... I just call it pretty!

I completely agree!
9.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results