shape
carat
color
clarity

Got some of grandma''s old jewelry

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
I went home this past weekend for my little brother''s high school graduation. My dad''s mom passed away a few years ago and much of her jewelry has been sitting in my house never being worn. I brought a few pieces back with me :)

This first pic is of everything I brought back...a set of silver and turquoise (I think) earrings in desperate need of cleaning, a diamond pendant, a sapphire and diamond ring, and earrings that I think are cz, but am not 100% sure. She always wore the ring and I adored it. When she was in the hospital once it had to be cut off because her fingers were swelling. I have the pieces though and plan to take it to the jeweler this week and have it cleaned and put back together.

The only thing is, I kind of wish the 3 stones were straight across vs how they''re currently set on an angle. I want to keep the ring "as is" for sentimental reasons and also I feel that I can always get a 3 stone ring, but one like this.

I''ll continue to post more pics.

alljewelry_resized.jpg

I have a feeling these aren''t real as most marquise I''ve seen have some "cloudiness" towards the points and these don''t. May take to the jeweler because if they are real I''d have them reset.

earrings_resized.jpg

My attempt at showing 3 shot of the ring before any cleaning....SOOOOO dirty.

dirty ring collage2.jpg

Now here it is clean(er).....still dirty, but much better. Can''t really tell what color the diamonds may be as it still has lotion, dust, etc on it. Can''t wait to take it to the jeweler and have it cleaned and rhodium plated.

In the above post.....the middle photo is how the ring will sit, but I kind of wish it sat more like the first photo. Thoughts? preferences?

ring clean_resized.jpg

This is the pendant. It still needs a little cleaning too. May get it rhodium plated as I''m assuming it''s white gold.

pendant_resized.jpg

Elmorton

Ideal_Rock
What great pieces!!

You'd be surprised...a friend of mine took her grandmother's ring to the jeweler to have it cleaned (believe me, her grandmother had NEVER had it steam cleaned...very rural) and while it was being cleaned, I mentioned that she might want to think about having it re-rhodiumed - but it was STUNNING when she got it back!! Older wg tends not to turn as quickly.

I think the three stone is really gorgeous (and I don't think I would be able to re-set family jewelry either), but I think it's a VERY pretty ring and looks great on you! It's definitely a unique setting, and I bet it will be even more stunning when it's polished up as well!

Keep us updated on what you find out about those pieces. I really like those earrings, too! I actually think the scrollwork around the marquis is absolutely beautiful. Even if they turn out not to be diamonds, it's always special to have inherited pieces, and just as comforting to wear.

ETA: You were posting the pendant when I was posting. JAW DROPPED! Wow, that is GORGEOUS!!!!!

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
How nice to have some special pieces from your grandmother! I especially like the locket. And it will be interesting to see if the marquise stones are real. I hope they are!!! The ring will be really pretty once you get the rhodium plating done!

Asscherhalo_lover

Ideal_Rock
Premium
i love family pieces, the pendant is fantastic!

Miranda

Ideal_Rock
Enjoy your pieces! I have a few pieces from both of my grandmothers and they are so special to me. I love heirlooms.

Cachette

Brilliant_Rock
Heirloom pieces are wonderful!!!

Enjoy your beautiful collection! What a difference a little cleaning does.
2.gif

Cachette
1.gif

Diamond*Dana

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Those are all such beautiful pieces! I really love everything as is, and I love the way the three stone sits...very pretty!

Love in Bloom

Ideal_Rock
Wow that sapphire ring is cool and the bale on the pendant is so pretty!

innerkitten

Ideal_Rock
I love seeing peoples family pieces :)
here do you think the turquoise earrings are from?

Date: 5/28/2008 6:42:38 PM
Author: innerkitten
I love seeing peoples family pieces :)
here do you think the turquoise earrings are from?
I''m not sure where they''re from. My grandma actually has a good bit of "Indian jewelery" as we call it....silver and turquoise and other similar stones (not sure what they''re called, but other colors of turquoise like stones). Several bracelets, rings, earrings....most of them are VERY large and not my taste, but I really liked the earrings. I tried cleaning them with precious stone cleaner, but that didn''t work. I guess I will try regular silver cleaner and hope it doesn''t hurt the stones.

I took the pendant and ring to the jeweler today. The pendant will get cleaned and rhodium plated. The ring will get fixed. The diamonds are OEC about 0.25 ct each, the sapphire is probably around 0.4 ct. Once it''s clean he''ll estimate the color and clarity for me.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results