shape
carat
color
clarity

how much are you paying for gas in your area?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

tiffanytwisted

Brilliant_Rock
It''s $3.79 in St. Louis

KimberlyH

Ideal_Rock
What about an additional tax for vehicles over a certain size that are driven unnecessarily (e.g. dualies and full-sized trucks for personal, rather than professional, use)?

Dee*Jay

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh, AND the HH just figured out TODAY that he is supposed to be using premium in his new car. (WHY he decided to start reading the owner''s manual six months after we drove the damn thing off the lot I will never know!
20.gif
)

coatimundi_org

Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/22/2008 8:02:39 PM
Author:Dancing Fire
20.gif
thanks to those environmentalist we aren''t allow to drill in our own backyard
29.gif
really sad.

What is really sad is that oil extracted from the United States goes into the world market to be sold to the highest bidder. Where oil is sold has nothing to do with where it''s extracted.

...thanks to American oil companies.

Remember, US oil companies lobbied for the removal of restrictions on when and where they sell oil from their North American reserves.

How well do you think a lobbyist for the Sierra Club stands up against a lobbyist for Chevron/Texaco?

NewEnglandLady

Ideal_Rock
I think I saw 3.87 today? Or 3.92? In Boston. I bet it''s over $4 in the morning, though. People are filling up before the weekend, even filling up gas cans.

MoonWater

Ideal_Rock
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/24757944/from/ET/

I''ve always made it a point to work within a 15 minute to half hour walk of where I live so I''ve managed to avoid getting a car my entire life. But I''m a city girl. Nowadays I commute and catch a train. There is no way in hell I could tolerate a long driving commute.

Deelight

Ideal_Rock
Hrmmm I think you should all come live in Oz
25.gif

Petrol prices are around the $1.60 a litre

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 5/22/2008 10:36:51 PM
Author: diamondfan
I do full serve 93 (which is what is recommended by Range Rover) and it is 4.00 per gallon in some stations. It is INSANE.
here in Sacto,Ca, $4.39 for self serve 93.

diamondfan

Super_Ideal_Rock
OUCH. Where do you live?

miraclesrule

Ideal_Rock
Too much!!

I can''t believe that it costs over twice what is used to in order to fill my Honda Accord.
39.gif

Although, I have to say, it''s crazy how much of a difference it is from San Diego prices to Orange County. When we drove up to L.A. a month ago, we stopped at Katella to get gas and we shocked to find that it was nearly 30 cents less a gallon than it was in San Diego or Los Angeles.

And if anyone wonders who gains the most, just look at the profits the oil companies are posting. H.U.G.E....

LtlFirecracker

Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/23/2008 12:34:27 AM
Author: miraclesrule
Too much!!

I can''t believe that it costs over twice what is used to in order to fill my Honda Accord.
39.gif

Although, I have to say, it''s crazy how much of a difference it is from San Diego prices to Orange County. When we drove up to L.A. a month ago, we stopped at Katella to get gas and we shocked to find that it was nearly 30 cents less a gallon than it was in San Diego or Los Angeles.

And if anyone wonders who gains the most, just look at the profits the oil companies are posting. H.U.G.E....
I own a Civic...was thinking the same thing yesterday. Funny, I live in SD and was in Katella last month, and the first thing I noticed was the price difference. I would say that the gas in Katella is about 5 cents cheeper than the place I go to in SD. I was shocked too. Anywhere elce in the OC was more expensive...

Oh yeah, I drove by the place I filled up at yesterday and the price went from $3.93/g to $3.99 in less than 24 hours. 2 miles up the road gas was $4.15. And this is not for the fancy stuff either.

Don''t get me started about the oil companys.....

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 5/23/2008 12:30:40 AM
Author: diamondfan
OUCH. Where do you live?
Sacto,Ca. my wife's Lexus drinks the 93 octane gas. thee other 3 car drinks reg 87 ($4.17 per gal) self serve.

diamondfan

Super_Ideal_Rock
The oil co. profits are offensive and disgusting. I am appalled at how many hundreds of millions they are making while some people cannot even afford a tank of gas.

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
i shorted the oil and natural gas market two months ago.
39.gif
the main reason for record high oil price b/c of too much speculation by commodity future traders.

pinkstars

Brilliant_Rock
It just hit $3.99 up here(Alaska.)
Last time I filled up(@ 3.89) it cost me over $50 for my Toyota Camry. Makes me very sad.

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
$4.11 a gallon here in Chicago burbs tonight...blech. I''ve already started walking to Trader Joe''s and walking on other ''round the town errands just to save a few cents on gas. We bought a Chevy Trailblazer in 2006 and that is currently our only vehicle, it sucks to throw twenty bucks in in and only have a quarter tank of gas, which lasts maybe 50 miles if we''re lucky.

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
$3.95 here earlier today. Rockford il area.

IrishBreakfast

Shiny_Rock
Living in Europe and paying military prices. I believe it''s running around $4.30 a gallon right now. I''d have to double check. I know that we are paying close to $1k a month just for gas. It''s painful.

gwendolyn

Ideal_Rock
Petrol in my area (Cambridge, UK) costs about £1.14/litre, which converts to about US$8.62/gallon. I walk everywhere.
1.gif

Delster

Ideal_Rock
According to our petrol price tracking website over here, the cheapest petrol in Ireland today is 116.9c per litre. That''s about $1.86 per litre. A litre is about a quarter of a gallon, so we''re talking $7.44 per gallon.

The average price per litre today nationwide is 127.9c, which is $2.01 per litre, so that''s $8.04 per gallon.

The prices where I live hover around that average price, and in many petrol stations are even higher.

gwendolyn

Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/23/2008 7:15:51 AM
Author: Delster
According to our petrol price tracking website over here, the cheapest petrol in Ireland today is 116.9c per litre. That's about $1.86 per litre. A litre is about a quarter of a gallon, so we're talking $7.44 per gallon.

The average price per litre today nationwide is 127.9c, which is $2.01 per litre, so that's $8.04 per gallon.

The prices where I live hover around that average price, and in many petrol stations are even higher.
That's roughly the same as prices near me. Does Ireland heavily tax petrol the way the UK does (heavily in my view, as an American), I take it?

Delster

Ideal_Rock
I had to go and look up the details Gwen! Yes, we heavily tax petrol. It runs around 65% of the total price of fuel. There are general excise duties, fuel-specific excise duties, and then there is VAT (sales tax) at point of sale. There is talk of introducing a carbon tax in addition to all of those. Furthermore, we pay road taxes, and about three different taxes on the purchase price of a vehicle (excise duties, a tax to put a registration plate on it, and VAT).

gwendolyn

Ideal_Rock
Oh, sorry, didn't mean to give you homework, Ms. Delster!
3.gif
I don't know the details, but I think the UK has some fuel-specific taxes in addition to the 17.5% VAT. 65% of the cost goes to taxes! That is bonkers!
6.gif

Delster

Ideal_Rock
Gwen I don''t know about the UK but over here petrol is classed as a ''luxury'' so the higher VAT rate applies - 21%. Same goes for ladies'' sanitary products
29.gif

gwendolyn

Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/23/2008 8:33:20 AM
Gwen I don''t know about the UK but over here petrol is classed as a ''luxury'' so the higher VAT rate applies - 21%. Same goes for ladies'' sanitary products
29.gif
*chokes* I beg your pardon? Sanitary products are a LUXURY ITEM?! Who the *$&@£%!! decided that, and why haven''t they been beaten silly and overruled by now?!
23.gif

MoonWater

Ideal_Rock
???WHAT????
33.gif
29.gif

Delster

Ideal_Rock
I went and double-checked and turns out sanitary products are now 0 rated (unless they''re medical tampons - those are still classed as luxuries). I am so glad to be wrong about that!!! I think a reduced VAT rate of 5% still applies in the UK though?

Up until very recently we paid VAT on babies'' nappies. We still pay it on condoms - 21% to boot. There''s a big campaign on to get that reduced. Oh, 21% as well on diabetic-friendly foods.

MoonWater are you changing your mind about coming over here?
2.gif

gwendolyn

Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/23/2008 9:40:40 AM
I went and double-checked and turns out sanitary products are now 0 rated (unless they''re medical tampons - those are still classed as luxuries). I am so glad to be wrong about that!!! I think a reduced VAT rate of 5% still applies in the UK though?

Up until very recently we paid VAT on babies'' nappies. We still pay it on condoms - 21% to boot. There''s a big campaign on to get that reduced. Oh, 21% as well on diabetic-friendly foods.

MoonWater are you changing your mind about coming over here?
2.gif
Not sure what the VAT on feminine products in the UK is. I haven''t had to buy any for months since I don''t get them on the pill (which is free here! TMI? haha), so I haven''t been paying attention to prices for them. I guess 0 rated means...tax free? And I have no idea what a medical tampon is but it doesn''t sound very luxurious.
40.gif

Hahah, this is quite a bizarre digression for a thread about fuel. Nice and TMI-personal!
37.gif
3.gif
2.gif

Delster

Ideal_Rock
Feminine products do have VAT on them in the UK but it''s at a lower than usual rate. I believe it''s 5% and that rate also applies to contraceptive products.

0 rated does mean tax free. And medical tampons are just wads of absorbent material used during surgeries. Definitely not very luxurious!

Ice Princess Cristy

Shiny_Rock
I have to use 93 (not recommended but REQUIRED supposedly) for my car and it''s about $3.60 just outside phoenix AZ.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results