shape
carat
color
clarity

6 months, 11 months or 18 months?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

mintve

Brilliant_Rock
Hello!

We got engaged almost a month ago...man times flies!!! We are still deciding on a date. I am trying to figure out the best time and need outside opinions:

1. the Sat after thanksgiving of this year...this only gives us 6 mos to plan and save $ and its the weekend of thanksgiving, so we may miss some guests. I have always wanted to get married in fall b/c i love this time of year, the ATL weather is not too hot and not too cold and my allergies are not horrible

2. next april- this gives us time to save, the weather is not too hot, but its allergy season and i''d like an outdoor wedding, My fiance likes this time frame, but is open to getting married whenever

3. the fall of 2009...oct/nov...again, i love the fall. i would have lots of time to plan and save, but its really far off and i am not a spring chicken anymore and we want to be married a bit before we have kids

the summer is out b/c the heat in ATL is deadly and I am not about to wear a wedding dress and my fiance will die in a tux in the heat. Winter is an option and I guess if we do outside, we can rent heaters.

what would you do?

SarahLovesJS

Ideal_Rock
I vote for April! Unless you''re definitely set on the fall wedding, I think it''s a happy medium.
10.gif
I love spring weddings personally. I really wanted an April wedding, but I''d have to wait too long. 6 mos isn''t a long time to plan a wedding, but if it''s what you want it''s doable. And I don''t think you need to wait until fall unless you really want fall. We got engaged Feb 14 and were originally looking at Spring 2010. We ended up going with June 2009 so kind of similar except the 6 mos thing wasn''t an option at all. Hope this helps some!

choro72

Brilliant_Rock
If you have the financial means, I personally would choose to do it in April ''09 just because I will rather get married sooner than later. But if you are going to be devastated, then go for the wedding that you''ve dreamed of!

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
If you''re a good planner and can make a few compromises, I would do it in 6 months honestly. I started seriously planning and booking 9 months out and it seems like FOREVER. Which seems like a stupid thing to stay as we''ve been engaged for close to 9 years and everything. But I''m so TIRED of this wedding hanging over my head I just want it to be the day of, saying my vows and then celebrating with friends and family. Six months is plenty of time. It took me about... 2.5 months total to plan everything. You may have to rush your dress or buy off the rack or get a sample or something, but I would totally do that.

calidaisy

Shiny_Rock
it really depends on how perfect of a wedding you want and how crazy your work schedule is.
we got officially engaged in march (unofficially in january) and are getting married in september.

our choice was between september 2008 and may 2009 ... and i''m glad we''re doing it this year not next because it''s so do-able.
other than doing crazy amount of shopping looking for dresses for about a month ... it''s been all good and under control.

i even have a friend who got engaged at the end of march and getting married in july. she didn''t have any problem finding a venue or a dress and doesn''t seem stressed out at all.

so ... if i were you, i''ll go for this year.
1.gif

bee*

Super_Ideal_Rock
If you''re a good planner, I''d go with this year but if you need time to plan and save money, then I''d go with next April. I''m really enjoying the planning and have been engaged for nearly 8 months at this stage and I''ve found it fine. I have another year till the big day, but I love the build up so I wouldn''t rush the planning either.

zoebartlett

Super_Ideal_Rock
I''d vote for either April ''09 or the fall of ''09.

I love the fall as well, and if I could have done it, I would have chosen that season for our own wedding. I can see how it IS kind of far off though, and I definitely understand wanting to get married in April ''09 so you can begin a new phase of your life earlier. The longer you put the wedding off, the more you can save though, and that is very tempting.

I think April is a good compromise. It''s far enough away for you to be able to save, which is great.

gwendolyn

Ideal_Rock
Since you''d really like to get married in the fall, in your position I think I''d do a little research to get an idea of venue availability. If you can get the sort of place you want in 6 months, I think I''d do it then. That way you get your fall wedding, you''re married sooner rather than later (which I think would be lovely) and you''d be in a situation where you''d be budgeting to spend *some* money on the wedding but won''t be breaking the bank.
1.gif

buttercup80

Shiny_Rock
Ditto. I would check venue availability - you might not be able to get married that Thanksgiving weekend anyway. . .

In the meantime, while you''re mulling this over, if you have spare time I would suggest that you begin dress shopping. If you do end up getting married in 6 months, then that is the item that''s going to be the trickiest in terms of time and if you end up waiting, you will still get ideas about what you like.

Good luck!

mintve

Brilliant_Rock
thanks for the input. I''ve been dress and venue shopping. One of the venues I like has Nov 29th 2008 open and it will be decorated w/ x-mas lights, etc and it sounded so nice. That is what got the idea in my head!

I had been thinking of spring 2009 from the get go, but I have to worry about dumb things like a thick coat of nasty yellow pollen that cover EVERYTHING for weeks in the spring...so i''d have to schedule around that b/c who wants yellow pollen on your wedding dress? plus, I don''t want to be sneezy at the wedding. So, there is soooooo much to consider :)

Pandora II

Ideal_Rock
I vote for 18 months!

I have found it completely stress free (except the venue witch) planning in this time-frame. I wouldn''t have wanted to do it any quicker.

However, that depends on how much you are DIYing, your day-job work load and how much help you will have.

anchor31

Ideal_Rock
Visit venues, decide where you want to have it, and check what''s available. That could help you decide the date. I''d prefer 11 months, personally.

Courtneylub

Brilliant_Rock
I agree with Gypsy.

Go for 6 months. It sounds like you really want that fall wedding so I would go for it.

Allison D.

Ideal_Rock
Unless you respond well to allergy shots, I''d avoid the April choice.

As a fellow allergy sufferer, I know that there are days I don''t even feel HUMAN during the season, and I''d personally hate to feel this way on my wedding day.

sumbride

Ideal_Rock
I''d also avoid April. The weather is still pretty tricky then and you may have the perfect weather, but you could also have cold or rain or tornadoes... I think, if you can pull it off, I''d go with 6 months. I was engaged for 14 months and it was just TOO long. The fall is a wonderful time, but 18 months just seems like so long to wait. and that thick yellow pollen will be all over your dress if you''re outside!

mintve

Brilliant_Rock
i think i am leaning toward the end of april or first of may...with the end of nov. on the back burner. I feel like nov. is a bit rushed andi would like to have time to enjoy our engagement. but, nothing is set is stone, yet!!!

iwannaprettyone

Ideal_Rock
I would go 6 months. I had 4.5 months and I am ready for al this to be over with (date is september 08). I am a natural procrastinator so I would probably be in the same spot even if I had 18 months. lol

Bia

Ideal_Rock
Agreed. IF you don''t sress easily and are a REALLY GOOD PLANNER. However, if you need to save significant amounts of money, wait until April and hope for the best as far as your allergies.

My BF''s sister got engaged in Jan ''06...wasn''t too interested in wedding planning until their mother said, around May, "LISTEN! We have to start planning NOW!" She at 36 wasn''t really a spring chicken either. So they did and she ended up having a gorgeous NYC wedding in early November--not an easy feat to begin with!

I, personally, love autumn weddings...
30.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results