shape
carat
color
clarity

Platinum Sterling 925

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Messiah Khan

Rough_Rock
Has anyone had anything made with Platinum Sterling 925? I''m in the process designing an engagement ring for my lady. I have nearly decided on the design (See this thread) and am going with a Russian Demantoid garnet for the stone.

The final decision however is what metal to go with. I want a white metal. Ideally I would like Platinum, but this is looking out of my price range (Could technically afford it, but it would be really stretching me!) Palladium doesn''t appeal to me. So the normal remaining metals are 9ct white gold and 18ct white gold. I can discount 18ct white gold due to the price. If I was to stretch to 18ct white gold, I would want to go that little bit further to Platinum. So that leaves me with 9ct white gold. I am however concerned about the Rhodium plating coming off, and I have never been a fan of gold tbh.

At the very start of the design process I had considered a sterling silver ring. I have always been a fan of silver and it has a nice emotional attachment to me. However it was suggested that it isn''t hard enough for my needs. but I have recently come across Platinum Sterling 925 which sounds great. It is mostly silver, so is cheap compared to the other metals and also has the emotional attachment. But as it is mixed with Platinum it is stronger and more tarnishing resistant than normal sterling silver. I realise it won''t be as scratch resistant as say Platinum, but this doesn''t bother me too much. I actually feel that small scratches and dents add to the character of a ring over time. This would bother me much less than the colour change of the Rhodium Plating being rubbed off a white gold ring.

So has anyone used Platinum Sterling? Is it as good as it sounds in theory? Is it strong enough to hold the detail in a ring?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results