shape
carat
color
clarity

wedding band scratching my engagement ring

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

sparkleandshine

Rough_Rock
Hi all,

So I just received my Signed Pieces bands a couple days ago. My engagement ring is an asscher with bullet sidestones, and I wanted to see what two bands would look like. I really like the look of RB bands next to the step cut asscher (even though I know it''s not for everyone). So I wore the two bands around the house for a couple hours. And they already started scratching my ring!! I''m so sad cause now I need a plan B. I wouldn''t care about the ring getting scratched, except that it is a Leon, and I keep picturing his face if he saw what I was doing to his handiwork. The bands are each .96 tcw shared prong eternity bands. I originally tried on a knife edge spacer with one band, but I love the look of all diamonds and no metal. I know other people have had this problem in the past, but what do you guys do? Give in and wear a spacer or just not worry about the damage?

Maisie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Personally, I wouldn''t wear the rings if they were going to scratch my ring. Some people solder their rings together to stop the rub.

October2008bride

Brilliant_Rock
If I had a Leon, there is no way I''d wear rings that would scratch it! Would you consider wearing them on a different hand? Or what about a bezel set eternity band?

NewEnglandLady

Ideal_Rock
I know that some people don't mind their wedding bands eating into the basket or prongs of their e-ring--it doesn't really affect the integrity of the setting. BUT! The idea of your eternity bands scratching both sides of your beautiful Leon makes my face scrunch up in a very unattractive way.

I think you need a plan B, because the only real solution is to wear a spacer, but you'd need a spacer on BOTH sides of your e-ring and the whole look might take away from what you were trying to achieve aesthetically. I understand that you love the contrast between the step-cut e-ring and a round brilliant eternity band (I do too, obviously), but do you think maybe you could just have one wedding band? Then you'd just have the eternity band, a spacer and your e-ring.

If you realy do want to wear two eternity bands, I think your best option is to go to Leon. He probably won't be happy with the plan, but I bet he'd create 2 spacers for you that would work with the design.

ETA: I second October's idea of wearing the wedding band on a separate hand! Or you could switch them out for channel set bands. I wear a channel set band AS a spacer.

espressa

Shiny_Rock
What about getting Memoire bands instead of the SP ones? I originally planned on getting a shared prong band from SP but I was concerned about the same thing, and I tried on some Memoire ones and really liked the smallest one from the Purity collection. They aren''t really shared prong, kind of a mix between shared prong and bezel. The larger ones look kind of funny to me, but the smallest one is very delicate and beautiful, and I highly doubt it would scratch anything.

I know they are quite a bit more expensive, but if you would be ok with getting non-eternity bands, they have an 11 stone version that seems to be pretty much the same price as the SP eternity bands. Here''s the link to the one I''m talking about at Pearlman''s: http://www.pearlmansjewelers.com/jewelry-designers/memoire-jewelry/rings/06YY1/6/

If you don''t like the Purity collection rings, the regular shared prong bands are also supposed to be made so that they don''t scratch.

butterfly 17

Ideal_Rock
Yikes! I would return them and get something with a little more metal around the edges, maybe something like the Tiffany Novo or a beadset ring, or channel. I am not sure how your ring looks so I would see what is the best match.

I had the same issues with my LM and my shared prong band and after a year they were worn out to the point that I would have to make a conscious effort to seperate them constantly so they would not rub. I eventually just changed the setting completely.

rainydaze

Ideal_Rock
Premium
hi sparkleandshine - the same thing happened to me. i had my stone reset into a Ritani three-stone ring and paired it with a Memoire 1ctw eternity ring, and within a few hours the Memoire had scratched up the Ritani way more than i anticipated. i LOVED LOVED LOVED that Memoire - i still miss it - but i returned it so i could take a breath and think about new options before deciding if i wanted to live with the scratching for the sake of appearance, or compromise on another style to spare my ering the scratching. i was considering channel set eternities (didn''t love them as much as shared prong though) and shared prong eternities with square stones (in pictures the girdles did not appear to protrude from the metal the way they do in RB eternities, so my thought was that maybe they wouldn''t scratch - it''s the girdles that do the damage).

the three stone didn''t work out either, which led me to find another setting completely and the new setting did not pair well with anything but a very dainty beadset eternity (by leon, as a matter of fact). so my search for a non-scratching eternity went in a different direction all together.

some gals here have opted to go custom with the design tailored to minimize the scratching. either they add more metal at the bottom so that hits the ering and creates more of a gap so that the girdles don''t touch the ering, or they build up the wall around a beadset so the metal hits the ering and not the diamonds. there might be other solutions as well...... i think whiteflash and mark at ERD have dealt with this. also, i believe i have read that leon, despite his distate for paring two of his rings together, has worked out a solution for a PSer or two. can''t hurt to ask him about it!

best of luck, i hope you find a solution that works for you!

espressa

Shiny_Rock
rainydaze, I didn''t know that the Memoire shared prong rings still scratched up other rings! Everything I had read had said that they wouldn''t. I''m glad that I ended up liking the Purity ring better than the shared prong, since it does seem to be a lot safer. Thanks for letting us know.
1.gif

LaurenThePartier

Super_Ideal_Rock
I''m sorry, but I''m with the majority - I know the look of diamonds is nice, but not at the expense of a Leon.

By the way, I don''t know if I''ve seen pics of your ring. Have you posted them? It sounds amazing!

rainydaze

Ideal_Rock
Premium
hi espressa - yes, i was pretty bummed that it scratched up my ring pretty quickly and badly. i thought it would be minimal based on what i had read here (i think some other ladies have had luck with them not scratching too badly), but maybe my two rings just hit each other in the right place... or rather the wrong place.

i know Memoire makes their rings to match up together so that they fit like a puzzle and don''t eat away at each other. but that is for a Memoire ering paired with one of their bands.

bem3231

Brilliant_Rock
My FI and I visited Leon during a trip to NYC week before last for the express purpose of figuring out the wedding band dillemma. I initially really, really wanted to wear a band with my ring (I even got Leon''s ''blessing'' to do this during the design phase of my e-ring, and worked design elements into my e-ring that were meant to mitigate the damage). That said, once the issue of actually pairing a band with my e-ring arose, I realized that for the sake of my own peace of mind I would need a spacer band, and honestly, the whole combination just began to look too busy, Leon and my FI finally convinced me to get a ''more significant'' band as a wedding band to wear on my right hand, so that is my current project.

I may just get a very thin platinum band that I could wear with my e-ring if I really want that ''definitely married'' look.

Good luck with your dillemma!

Diamond*Dana

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have to agree with not wearing a diamond wedding ring at the expense of scratching up my e-ring.

Dreamgirl

Ideal_Rock
May I just quickly ask:
Which sorts of bands scratch up the prong setting/basket on the e-ring?
And which ones do not scratch it up?
33.gif

I've read this here before and never thought that could happen. That's terrible....

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/13/2008 4:46:47 PM
Author: Dreamgirl
May I just quickly ask:

Which sorts of bands scratch up the prong setting/basket on the e-ring?

And which ones do not scratch it up?

33.gif

I''ve read this here before and never thought that could happen. That''s terrible....

shared prong bands will more than likely scratch...

channel set and bead set won''t b/c the sides are metal with no diamond girdle hanging over to do the scratching.

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
Yes, I have a 3.38 shared prong eternity band from SP. It ate into the progs so I don''t wear it anymore with my ering. I wear it alone. I wouldn''t do that to a Leon, I''d wear a channel set band, like the Tiffany Legacy band, it''s bead set diamonds. That''s what I wear with my ering now.

sparkleandshine

Rough_Rock
Date: 5/13/2008 1:26:17 PM
Author: LaurenThePartier
I''m sorry, but I''m with the majority - I know the look of diamonds is nice, but not at the expense of a Leon.

By the way, I don''t know if I''ve seen pics of your ring. Have you posted them? It sounds amazing!
Lauren,

I tried to post, but my pics are too big and i''m unsure how to resize...

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 5/13/2008 2:10:09 AM
Author:sparkleandshine
Hi all,

I know other people have had this problem in the past, but what do you guys do? Give in and wear a spacer or just not worry about the damage?
my wife had the same problem then i bought her a 2mm spacer ring.

sparkleandshine

Rough_Rock
Problem solved! I got a Tiffany knife edge band as a spacer and the outer edge is so thin that you can hardly even notice it. I am very pleased with plan B. We''re going to save the second band for a 1 year anniversary present and whoever suggested wearing two spacers (NEL?)...it actually works and doesn''t look too bad. So that may be a possibility. Thanks for all your suggestions. Now for that picture resizing....

kcoursolle

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/16/2008 2:40:00 AM
Author: sparkleandshine
Problem solved! I got a Tiffany knife edge band as a spacer and the outer edge is so thin that you can hardly even notice it. I am very pleased with plan B. We''re going to save the second band for a 1 year anniversary present and whoever suggested wearing two spacers (NEL?)...it actually works and doesn''t look too bad. So that may be a possibility. Thanks for all your suggestions. Now for that picture resizing....
Woohoo, I''m glad you found a solution. Spacer bands really are an easy way to deal with it and they usually aren''t all that noticeable!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results