shape
carat
color
clarity

what to do with .34 from Proposal Ring?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

mintve

Brilliant_Rock
Hey ladies! I just got engaged last week while I vacation in Maui!! I am so excited and cannot believe I am off the LIW! I will send pics as soon as I can. I am waiting for my permanent setting, so my stone is set in a temp setting for now.
21.gif

When my fiance proposed, he wanted to surprise me, so he bought an inexpensive ring from a local jeweler (Shane Co). He succeeded in surprising me and now I have TWO e-rings. so, here is my question. I am not sure what to do w/ the proposal ring. my FI was going to retrun it to get his $ back, but now he is having second thoughts. We have a few options and I need opinions:

1. should I trade it in, along with some other diamond studs I have and upgrade my studs w/ all the $

2. should I keep the ring as it is and maybe wear it on a chain?

3. take back the band, keep the stone and maybe set it in a vintage setting and wear it as RHR?

4. i thought about matching it up w/ another stone and having earrings, but the stone is a K SI2 and it may be too warm for earrings

what are your thoguhts? since its a small stone .34, and warm at K and SI2, i think it may be well-suited for something vintage, if we keep it.

IDEAS????

Diamond*Dana

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Well, if you are sentimental about it then I would definitely keep it. Otherwise, what about trading it in when it comes time to buy your wedding ring?

If you are looking to reset it, I think that I would like your earring option the best...getting a similar stone to make a pair.

Congratulations!

mintve

Brilliant_Rock
here is the ring he used at the proposal.

proposal ring.JPG

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I love that fay cullen ring!!! I would get that over earrings any day, but that''s just me. It would make a great RHR and then you could have both your e-rings on your hands right where you can see them!

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
I vote Fay Cullen ring. It''s gorgeous!

And I wouldn''t get rid of it, but I''m a sentimental sop.

2Artists

Brilliant_Rock
Congrats are in order! That is so exciting. Keeping the stone depends on if you feel sentimental about it or not. Some people are more sentimental than others- it is all personal preference. I''m not that sentimental about actual stuff myself-but I do like to document life experiences with lots of photos and writings and so on. Thats what gets me. If you are both cool with letting it go then take great pictures of it and happily set it free. The memories of the proposal are the most important thing anyways so take a bunch of pictures of it and write down your memories about the proposal so you can always have that to look back on fondly. If you love it and would kick yourself later for letting it go- keep it. It would be really neat to have the original set in earrings or put toward an earring upgrade as you mentioned.

mintve

Brilliant_Rock
thanks for the input so far. RIght now I am leaning toward a RHR. I love the vintage look, sapphires are my FI birthstone and as you emntioned, I would them be able to wear both diamonds at the same time :)

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
The 1st I like but I think FC has a no return policy or something like that; I remember reading that somewhere so you might want to check that out.

swingirl

Ideal_Rock
I put my original ering stone into a pendant. Pendants and earrings can go lower in color because no one comes too close to them and against your skin they''ll look white. I got my daughter a pendant with an M and it never looks yellow -- bezel set in platinum and not vintage at all. It depends on your taste. If you really like vintage your stone is a perfect size for the Edwardian and Deco styles. The rings usually had smaller center stones and a lot of side business, filligre, engraving and what not. I have an antique Edwardian with a .4 ct stone and it looks surprisingly large they way it is set.

mintve

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 5/13/2008 12:05:45 PM
Author: swingirl
I put my original ering stone into a pendant. Pendants and earrings can go lower in color because no one comes too close to them and against your skin they''ll look white. I got my daughter a pendant with an M and it never looks yellow -- bezel set in platinum and not vintage at all. It depends on your taste. If you really like vintage your stone is a perfect size for the Edwardian and Deco styles. The rings usually had smaller center stones and a lot of side business, filligre, engraving and what not. I have an antique Edwardian with a .4 ct stone and it looks surprisingly large they way it is set.
Thansk Swingirl. DO you have a photo of your Edwardian ring? Any suggestions besides fay cullen on where to shop for a ring w/ no center stone?

rainydaze

Ideal_Rock
Premium
hi mintve! i love the idea of using it in a RHR, for the sentimental value and because i like to put my diamonds where i can see them and enjoy them! i think a RHR is most befitting this stone for the very reason that it does hold sentimental value.

gwendolyn

Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/13/2008 12:24:29 PM
Author: mintve
Thansk Swingirl. DO you have a photo of your Edwardian ring? Any suggestions besides fay cullen on where to shop for a ring w/ no center stone?
Of the Fay Cullen options, I like the last one best. I keep hearing that Green Lake does really great custom work and that their return policy is amazing. Maybe you could ask them to design something for you around your stone? I''m not sure if they have any stock pieces, so that might be more expensive, I dunno.

gailrmv

Ideal_Rock
If I understand the story, he didn''t intend this to be your e-ring - it was sort of a placeholder til you got back from your trip and got your real stone, right? I guess I''d probably not keep it for sentimental reasons alone. If I loved the stone I''d keep it and have the stone set as a pendant. If you aren''t in love with the stone itself I''d return it. With a w-band and wedding coming up, I''m sure you''ll find good use for the $ you''ll get on return!

Congrats again!

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
I like the FC #2 ring. But I love sapphires, so take that for what it''s worth.

mintve

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 5/13/2008 2:25:36 PM
Author: TanDogMom
If I understand the story, he didn''t intend this to be your e-ring - it was sort of a placeholder til you got back from your trip and got your real stone, right? I guess I''d probably not keep it for sentimental reasons alone. If I loved the stone I''d keep it and have the stone set as a pendant. If you aren''t in love with the stone itself I''d return it. With a w-band and wedding coming up, I''m sure you''ll find good use for the $ you''ll get on return!

Congrats again!

yep, it was meant to be a placeholder, but now my FI is feeling sentimental and kind of wants us to hold onto it. That is why I was thinking of a RHR.

ahappygirl

Brilliant_Rock
Great suggestions above, as usual. I agree definitely hold onto the stone and reset it into a RHR or vintage style pendant. All the ring pics are lovely, just wait till you find something that speaks to you for the setting/ design. Congratulations on your engagement!!

Circe

Ideal_Rock
Trade
An alternate suggestion ... if you''re planning on a w-ring with diamonds, why not incorporate this stone into the setting?

swingirl

Ideal_Rock
Here is my RHR. It is an antique so it''s not easy to find antique settings without the stone but I bet there is someplace that makes antqiue-style settings for new stones. The old ring designers had a way of making the stones look larger by using the hexagon shape around the stone but the stone is set with prongs.

edring7971.jpg

kkayser

Rough_Rock
The diamond is worth about $300 certified, uncertified and accurately graded (usually not), maybe $250. If you do not use the mount it is scrap gold, a few bucks. So, if your fiance can get a refund substantially in excess of $300, I would recommend you do it and put the money toward a down payment on a house.

gailrmv

Ideal_Rock
If you decide to keep it, did you see Cachette''s thread on her recycling project? I think that is a perfect use of a stone this size (inspired by Tiff legacy).

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results