shape
carat
color
clarity

how to make fingers slimmer or LOOK slimmer??

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

diamondnut

Brilliant_Rock
i went to a baby shower yesterday and saw a couple of ladies with rings that are similar in size to mine but they LOOK sooo much larger on their tiny fingers (size 4ish). My fingers are a size 6-6.25. it''s so unfair
39.gif
!!!

so just thought i throw this out here. short of finger liposuction (is there such a thing???), i''ll try anything!!!

Haven

Super_Ideal_Rock
Oh, honey, please don''t fret over the size of your FINGERS! Seriously. Seriously?

miraclesrule

Ideal_Rock
Yeah, it''s sort of like insulting your creator!!

I feel your pain. I have the most stubby fingers, but then I remember that they have had 330 hours of massage training, so I don''t diss my fingers anymore.
9.gif

If you are super, duper self conscious of them, you can always get fake nails that make them look longer, but my advice is not to measure your finger, but your heart.
30.gif

somethingshiny

Ideal_Rock
The way to make YOUR fingers look smaller: Put them next to MINE. I wear a size 10. nuff said.

2.gif

iheartscience

Super_Ideal_Rock
I actually just read somewhere that longish rounded fingernails make your fingers look longer, just like high heels make your legs look longer. Maybe grow your nails out a bit and use a pinkish nude nail polish and see if that works?

But really, your finger size is just fine, and I think definitely on the small to average side.

iheartscience

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/3/2008 10:22:43 PM
Author: somethingshiny
The way to make YOUR fingers look smaller: Put them next to MINE. I wear a size 10. nuff said.

2.gif

Hahahaha! Awww...your fingers are just fine, too!

brazen_irish_hussy

Ideal_Rock
Long nails really are your best bet. We all have things about or hands we don't like. I have long thin fingers that have thick, dark hair. I actually pluck my finger it is so bad. So while mine look good, it takes a lot of effort to get them that way.

Besides, I am sure your ring is much better on your finger than on a pear anyway.

miraclesrule

Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/3/2008 10:22:43 PM

2.gif

You should of put an official *choke* warning on that post. Good thing I wasn''t drinking fluids.
27.gif
Ahahahahahahahaha...too funny...

diamondnut

Brilliant_Rock
thanks ladies for your replies! i wasn''t totally serious about my post (maybe 20% serious, 80% joking). deep down inside, i know my fingers are what they are. but i figure it never hurts to ask
1.gif
in case it''s something as simple as finger lifts or crunches that i don''t know about.

somethingshiny

Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/3/2008 11:46:20 PM
Author: diamondnut
thanks ladies for your replies! i wasn''t totally serious about my post (maybe 20% serious, 80% joking). deep down inside, i know my fingers are what they are. but i figure it never hurts to ask
1.gif
in case it''s something as simple as finger lifts or crunches that i don''t know about.
What more finger lifts and crunches need to be done when we''re PSers?!?!
21.gif

If we''re not admiring our rings, we''re typing about them.

nebe

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 5/4/2008 12:33:28 AM

If we''re not admiring our rings, we''re typing about them.
I like you. a lot.
5.gif

somethingshiny

Ideal_Rock
tee hee.....aw shucks...
35.gif

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 5/3/2008 11:46:20 PM
Author: diamondnut
1.gif
I don''t think there is much you can do unfortunately.
15.gif
I have played the piano for years and going by my post count here, also do a fair amount of typing, and my fingers are still too thick for my liking!

Maisie

Super_Ideal_Rock
I have big knuckles. They are passed down from my mother. I can''t stand them but I''m stuck with them. At least I won''t lose my ring from it slipping off my finger.
1.gif

NewEnglandLady

Ideal_Rock
I would LOVE a size 6 or 6.25. My ring finger is a size 8 and the rest of me is petite, so I''ve got a whole lotta hand. What''s worse is my husband is a size 7--so his wedding ring is literally too small for my hand. Oy!

I do a lot of rock climbing, so it''s hard to make my hands look feminine, but when I need for them to look pretty I:
a.) keep them moisturized
b.) wax any litte bit of fuzz on them
c.) grow out my nails
d.) get a manicure

Really, having long, freshly polished nails is the best way for my hands to look girly.

There are some ways in which having larger hands can be beneficial. Because I know there is nothign I can do about the size of my hands, I just stay focused on the positive.

1.) I can wear multiple bands without my hand looking overwhelmed. I almost always wear 3 wedding bands or my e-ring and two wedding bands.
2.) Sometimes I think having larger hands gives your rings more "presence"
3.) If you have pave or an eternity ring, having larger hands ups the *sparkle* factor. The wider your finger, the more diamonds show.
4.) I can palm a basketball. That has nothing to do with jewelry.

I think the best thing you can do is just accept larger hands and love them. Not that I would consider a 6 large :) At least you can try on rings jewelers have in stock! :)

Fly Girl

Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/4/2008 2:41:49 PM
Author: Maisie
I have big knuckles. They are passed down from my mother. I can''t stand them but I''m stuck with them. At least I won''t lose my ring from it slipping off my finger.
1.gif
Yep. Living with what you have is about all you can do. Enjoy being young and hope that you don''t get arthritis. I am developing the knobby finger joints that my dad has, and all you can do is live with it. Living with them beats the alternative.
2.gif

Please enjoy your pretty hands while you are young.
36.gif

Sha

Ideal_Rock
My fingers are 8.25 and I never thought of them as big. Still don''t. They''re just fine to me.

It looks like you already have a beautiful diamond and ring - I think you should enjoy it as much as you can, instead of thinking about the fact that other people''s rings look bigger because their fingers are smaller. It''s a slippery slope once you start comparing everything you have with things other people have.... you know...who has the bigger car, who has the bigger house, who has the nicer ring, who has the slimmest fingers...? Really, it''s a pretty frivolous thing to worry about (half-joking or not), IMO. Just be happy with what you have.

bee*

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/4/2008 3:03:45 PM
Author: NewEnglandLady
I would LOVE a size 6 or 6.25. My ring finger is a size 8 and the rest of me is petite, so I''ve got a whole lotta hand. What''s worse is my husband is a size 7--so his wedding ring is literally too small for my hand. Oy!

I''m the exact same as you-I have size 8 fingers and D wears a size 6.5! I wish that we could swap it around. I would love love love to have size 6 fingers.

lyra

Ideal_Rock
Premium
It''s funny, but I also wondered if there was more I could do for my fingers. Guess not. What I''ve been doing lately that makes me feel good, is to exfoliate gently, use cuticle oil, a nice thick clear topcoat (Rimmel is working GREAT!) and use hand cream (Sally Hansen Miracle Cure) several times a day. Doesn''t make my size 7 any smaller, but I''m feeling better about my hands. Most of the time.
41.gif

LegacyGirl

Brilliant_Rock
Drink a lot of water and avoid salt. I ate some baked cheetos yesterday and a turkey sasuage and pepper sandwich and I''m so swollen I could barely get my ring on!! I go down a size when I avoid all salt and drink a lot of water.

Rhea

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have a size 6.5 wedding band that is a bit tight on me and can''t be sized. I recently started drinking more water and lost some weight and the band fits much better.

My fingers also vary in size between the summer and winter. In the winter if I shake my hand too hard the 6.5 w-band flys up to my knuckle. In the summer I can usually barely get it off so I wear a different ring instead.

Deelight

Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/4/2008 5:58:41 PM
Author: LegacyGirl
Drink a lot of water and avoid salt. I ate some baked cheetos yesterday and a turkey sasuage and pepper sandwich and I''m so swollen I could barely get my ring on!! I go down a size when I avoid all salt and drink a lot of water.

Ditto, makes a world of difference :)

I also have around a size 6-6.5ish finger (okay I sound like a nutter) but I have been massaging my finger in a downwards motion to remove the fat from them they have started to look a little leaner, it could be an optical illusion.

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 5/4/2008 3:12:29 PM
Author: Sha
My fingers are 8.25 and I never thought of them as big. Still don''t. They''re just fine to me.

It looks like you already have a beautiful diamond and ring - I think you should enjoy it as much as you can, instead of thinking about the fact that other people''s rings look bigger because their fingers are smaller. It''s a slippery slope once you start comparing everything you have with things other people have.... you know...who has the bigger car, who has the bigger house, who has the nicer ring, who has the slimmest fingers...? Really, it''s a pretty frivolous thing to worry about (half-joking or not), IMO. Just be happy with what you have.
I couldn''t agree more with Sha. I wear a 6.75 and honestly never thought of my fingers as "big" until I started noticing that a lot of ladies on PS have much smaller ring sizes...I still don''t compare though, because I''m also 5''10" and I would look pretty silly with teeny tiny fingers!

Steel

Ideal_Rock
How to "make fingers...look slimmer"

Uhm...

Buy a honking great big massive ginormous whopping rock and...

1. You will never look at your fingers again, for staring at the bling.
2. You will never be able to find your fingers under the giant rock
3. You will exercise your finger with the weight of all those carats.

Sound like a plan to me.....
12.gif

...cough...enabler...cough...

Bliss

Ideal_Rock
Hahahahaha! This is too cute!

Well, I notice that when I am PMSing... my fingers swell. When I eat salty meals, my fingers bloat a little. You can't do much about knuckle size, but I also notice that when I'm slimmer -- my fingers aren't as bloated and are slimmer. Maybe because I'm petite, but even 5 lbs on my body changes my finger size! Nowhere for it to go, I guess. Argh!

Even 2-3 lbs. changes my finger size by a half size, no joke! We small folk have to watch it, no height to hide the extra couple of pounds. No fair!!!
29.gif
And on top of that, I'm a shorty! Can't get anything from the top shelf without resorting to Mission Impossible acrobatics. Hahahaha.

Hope that helps!
41.gif

diamondnut

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 5/4/2008 3:12:29 PM
Author: Sha

Sha, I wish I can say I appreciate that reality check but I''d be lying. It''s amazing how some people just jump to conclusions based on one simple question...a question that wasn''t even meant to be serious. This is suppose to be a forum for people to ask questions and get constructive answers (or even no answers), not lectures. I already have a mother for that. And for your information, I am VERY happy with what I have.

Thank you to everyone else. Your light-hearted spirit is definitely appreciated.

ericad

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Oh, how I covet long fingers, small ring sizes and KNUCKLES! My finger is a size 6 but shaped like a cigar - straight all the way down with no knuckle to speak of. SIGH. I totally sympathize with diamondnut - you are not alone!

My favorite trick is to keep my nails nicely shaped, but still at the practical short length I like (rounded shape, length to just past my finger tips) and paint them a neutral light pink or beige color. The nails blend in with my fingers and give the illusion of added length. Makes a world of difference!

And +1 on the avoiding salt suggestion.

Ms.Lola

Rough_Rock
This may be an old wives' tale, but perhaps try not to crack your knuckles (if you do). My parents always told me that it made your fingers/knuckles swell.

Also, just want to say, this isn't a frivolous question to ask, joking or not...this is a supportive board and we are all kind of obssessional here-that's why we're here together! We all have our neuroses and it's fun to trade tips/secrets! At least I think so.

I found everyone's drink water/avoid salt tips interesting. I will definitely try that myself and keep y'all posted. I DEFinitely agree with putting lotion on all the time and keeping your nails nice with manicures, etc. When I have money/time I love to get fake nails but I swear I keep them really short (for fakes) and paint them a really light pink...people always think they are real and compliment them. (Note: it is always a battle to get the woman at the nail salon to cut the acrylics so short...haha they think it's dumb to put them on and then not have them be super long...but whatevs!) ALSO, if you don't have time/$$ for manicures, I love just getting a white pencil (either eyeliner or a specific nail pencil) to put under my nails to give an illusion of a natural french manicure.

ETA: QUESTION: do you guys find that your fingers are much more swollen when you wake up in the morning? I do!

phoenixgirl

Ideal_Rock
I recently lost weight and went from a size 6 to a size 5 finger. It really surprised me because no one would have said I was overweight before (my BMI was in the normal range; I just went from the high end to the low end of normal), but I wasn't healthy and lost over 20 pounds by eating right and exercising. Salt may be a factor as I am eating a lot less processed food.

I really didn't expect my finger size to change since I'm pretty sure I was a size 6 before I gained the weight. I now weigh what I used to around age 18 but have smaller fingers than I did then. I'm really not sure what happened. I'm not complaining though! I was excited to get better finger coverage as an unexpected bonus of getting in shape.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results