shape
carat
color
clarity

Thoughts on insurance: replacement policy VERSUS cash-value return policy?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

dallasstar12

Rough_Rock
Hi everyone,

I have been reading some of the threads on various insurance policies, and a number of the threads are significantly older and was hoping someone has more recent information on experiences with insurance policies and comments (positive or negative) on repair/replace policies (e.g. GemShield) versus cash-back policies (e.g. Chubb).

The typical repair/replacement policy is appealing because the annual cost is significantly lower than a cash-value return policy. However, what concerns me are the policy terms of the replacement policies which state they will replace the loss with a "like kind and quality"...This policy language seems very vague and subject to abuse in the event of a loss.

Has anyone ever had a positive/negative experience with GemShield or any similar replacement policy on a claim?

Any recommendations on a good insurance policy to go with? A policy with worldwide coverage is crucial.

Thanks to all!

Bosie

Shiny_Rock
If you have homeowners insurance, call you agent, you can add a "personal articles policy". The carrier will need an appraisal. the more detail the better. I have mine with State Farm, they were excellent on a claim. Diamonds lost were H & A''s. They referred me to a couple of local jewelers for service, but when I told the claim people it was a H & A''s stone, they told me the local guy would not have it, and they cut me a check for the appraised value less my $100 deductible, so I was able to replace where I wanted. Best of luck.

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
If you go with a replacement type of policy, make sure you have documentation of exactly what the stone is through the diamond cert and detailed appraisal. Then you have something to back up what your diamond was in order to have it replaced with very like kind.

denverappraiser

Ideal_Rock
Trade
‘Like kind and quality’ is defined by the appraisal that YOU submit. This is one of the reasons that they ask you to submit the appraisal rather than hiring their own experts to evaluate things (even though the latter would probably improve the quality of information). A weak appraisal benefits them. The most important part of the appraisal in terms of insurance is the description, not the value conclusion, precisely because this is what becomes the standard for replacement. It should list everything that you want to be considered come replacement time including weights, manufacturer names, part numbers, certificate numbers (and scans), photographs, H&A and reflector images, etc. If it was important to you when you were shopping, it should be included in the appraisal. The value conclusion is used to set the premium. This is the maximum amount that the company will pay to exact replacement according to the description provided. If they can get it cheaper they will so it doesn’t benefit you to have an inflated appraisal. Done well and backed by a well written appraisal, you’re right that insurance is usually significantly cheaper with a replacement policy but if you provide a weak appraisal you can easily lose your advantage by getting worse coverage for a higher price.

Neil Beaty
GG(GIA) ICGA(AGS) NAJA
Professional Appraisals in Denver

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
Wow, so helpful Neil!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results