shape
carat
color
clarity

So, what kind of cut is done for Pave diamonds?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

tberube

Brilliant_Rock
I''ve always sorta wondered this. I have heard terms such as "single cut" but I don''t know really what that means (anybody know?). I have 50 round 1-pointers on my pave ering and they sparkle a lot. Are they generally cut the same way that RB''s are?

TIA.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Some information on single cuts:
http://www.artofplatinum.com/glossary/singlecut.htm

Single cuts are best for pave work as they sparkle more. A full cut melee will look too busy in that tiny size. Single cuts in pave are essentially RBs with less faceting.

purrfectpear

Ideal_Rock
Some pave are single cut, some are brilliant cut.

NewEnglandLady

Ideal_Rock
I was thinking about using pave on a RHR and noticed that if I wanted single cut, i had to request it. It seems that most jewelers use brilliant.

tberube

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks! Always good for info, you guys...so great.

scarlet16

Brilliant_Rock
Most jewelers use brilliant cut. I chose to use single cuts after seeing them in person. The sparkles just seemed a little bigger, which I thought would match well to the flashes of my cushion. I think the reason is the table is significantly larger (since they only have 8 facets). The single cuts were also more expensive ($1000/ct v. $1500/ct).

Garry H (Cut Nut)

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
The same light return rules are very important.

Here is a little box with 45 full cuts on the top and the lower left, and single cuts above.

The full cuts are from our regular stock which are all selected (usually 80% rejection) with an ideal-scope. Note the overall brightness. (The single cuts we stock for repair replacements as a client service, so they are ''as they are'').

Note the lower photo - i took this during a discussion with Peter Yantzer who is interested in this topic also (lab Director at AGS). The stones were in the bottom of my wheely travel bag which was partly closed - with a single halogen about 10 feet 3M above. Note the single cuts show a lot more fire at about 1.2M to the camera.

single cut top full cut bottom.JPG

tberube

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 5/7/2008 6:03:02 PM
Author: scarlet16
Most jewelers use brilliant cut. I chose to use single cuts after seeing them in person. The sparkles just seemed a little bigger, which I thought would match well to the flashes of my cushion. I think the reason is the table is significantly larger (since they only have 8 facets). The single cuts were also more expensive ($1000/ct v. $1500/ct).

really? you''d think it would be the other way around...hmm.

tberube

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 5/7/2008 6:25:50 PM
Author: Garry H (Cut Nut)

Here is a little box with 45 full cuts on the top and the lower left, and single cuts above.

The full cuts are from our regular stock which are all selected (usually 80% rejection) with an ideal-scope. Note the overall brightness. (The single cuts we stock for repair replacements as a client service, so they are 'as they are').

Note the lower photo - i took this during a discussion with Peter Yantzer who is interested in this topic also (lab Director at AGS). The stones were in the bottom of my wheely travel bag which was partly closed - with a single halogen about 10 feet 3M above. Note the single cuts show a lot more fire at about 1.2M to the camera.

WOW Gary - thanks for that info! Now I wonder what I have in MY ring...full cut or RB's. No way to tell, they're so small! It's funny how these follow opposite brilliance rules when small, as compared to larger sizes, where RB is king.

ETA: Silly me - I bet it says in my appraisal.
14.gif

MonkeyPie

Ideal_Rock
That is something I never thought of before...thanks ladies!

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
My halo is single cuts and they rock! I can totally tell the difference.

My eternity bands will be full cut though. I''ll eventually be able to get single cut ones, but not for a while.

tberube

Brilliant_Rock
seems weird to me that single cuts, with less facets (=less work?) would cost more than RB''s with more...

scarlet16

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 5/7/2008 7:41:31 PM
Author: tberube
seems weird to me that single cuts, with less facets (=less work?) would cost more than RB''s with more...

I have no idea if this is true or not but I wonder if it''s a matter of supply and demand. Fewer people cut the single cuts and therefore there are less available. Leon''s assistant mentioned that sometimes it takes 1-2 weeks to get them from his supplier in Belgium.

Garry H (Cut Nut)

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
Date: 5/7/2008 7:44:13 PM
Author: scarlet16

Date: 5/7/2008 7:41:31 PM
seems weird to me that single cuts, with less facets (=less work?) would cost more than RB's with more...

I have no idea if this is true or not but I wonder if it's a matter of supply and demand. Fewer people cut the single cuts and therefore there are less available. Leon's assistant mentioned that sometimes it takes 1-2 weeks to get them from his supplier in Belgium.
A supply and demand issue - so much demand for full cuts - single cuts are a nuiscance for most dealers.

It is also easier to see cutting errors in full cuts
Edit - easier to see cutting errors in single cuts

stryeyes102

Shiny_Rock
*stone rookie here, so be gentle*

So, for someone considering micro pave; would the full vs. single not be a concern then? Or would they still use full cuts, just smaller..

(specifically im looking at WF, who states they use little ACA''s for their melee)
-So would these be considered single cuts?
33.gif

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/8/2008 2:39:36 AM
Author: stryeyes102
*stone rookie here, so be gentle*

So, for someone considering micro pave; would the full vs. single not be a concern then? Or would they still use full cuts, just smaller..

(specifically im looking at WF, who states they use little ACA''s for their melee)
-So would these be considered single cuts?
33.gif
ACA''s are all full cuts

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
single cut

While this single cut combo only rates 93% of the light return of the full cut above it will appear brighter because of the larger flashes/virtual facets in small sizes.

singlecutvirtualfacets.jpg

Garry H (Cut Nut)

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
Close up the single cuts can look Ok, but from further away the chance of seeing a flash becomes very small.

I think I am converting to being a full cut fan.
The DETAS image shows that the light return Storm mentioned is alive and well

Single cut 1mm DETAS.JPG

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
Garry I agree 1 single cut by itself isnt that great but when you have a number of them the odds of seeing the fewer but larger brighter flashes goes way up.
Im a little biased too as I love the look of single cut melee.

tberube

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 5/8/2008 4:37:13 AM
Close up the single cuts can look Ok, but from further away the chance of seeing a flash becomes very small.

I think I am converting to being a full cut fan.

The DETAS image shows that the light return Storm mentioned is alive and well

So, which do you prefer, Gary?

tberube

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 5/8/2008 4:03:17 AM
Author: strmrdr
for those that missed my lesson on virtual facets see here:

https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/my-asscher-looks-so-cool-in-low-light-anyone-else.83928/

For those that read it here is why single cuts have larger flashes.

Compare the virtual facet sizes.

full cut first:

I definitely saw your lesson! And it all makes sense...it''s just ironic that one would prefer more facets for large diamonds, then switch to less facets for melee. I get why, I suppose, but still.

Thanks again, storm, for your infinite knowledge!

tberube

Brilliant_Rock

The full cuts are from our regular stock which are all selected (usually 80% rejection) with an ideal-scope. Note the overall brightness. (The single cuts we stock for repair replacements as a client service, so they are ''as they are'').

Gary - what was the weight on those little rocks?

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/8/2008 8:47:35 AM

I definitely saw your lesson! And it all makes sense...it's just ironic that one would prefer more facets for large diamonds, then switch to less facets for melee. I get why, I suppose, but still.

Thanks again, storm, for your infinite knowledge!
Part of the reason single cuts work well for melee with larger center stones in my opinion is that the virtual facet size more closely matches the small virtual facets of the larger stone so they tend to fire off at around the same time where full cut melee the virtual facets are so much smaller that they fire out of sync with the center stone.
A princess or a crushed ice radiant would work better with full cut melee for the same reason.

Lynn B

Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/8/2008 3:35:41 PM
Part of the reason single cuts work well for melee with larger center stones in my opinion is that the virtual facet size more closely matches the small virtual facets of the larger stone so they tend to fire off at around the same time where full cut melee the virtual facets are so much smaller that they fire out of sync with the center stone.
A princess or a crushed ice radiant would work better with full cut melee for the same reason.
This is really interesting, Storm, thanks!

I know EXACTLY what you are talking about. In very bright overhead sun, my AGS-0 2.36 RB goes pretty dark and (dare I say!) *murky* (but with large, bold flashes of fire), while my melee (
So, hypothetically speaking, of course
2.gif
(since I am NOT getting a re-set any time soon!), single cut melee would give me an entirely different look in that type of lighting environment?

Lynn B

Ideal_Rock

Sir Garry,
As usual, you lost me with your Aussie-speak!!!
2.gif
1.gif
9.gif

Exactly WHICH are WHICH again?!
33.gif

Thanks!
Lynn

JDam

Rough_Rock
Which type of melee would look best with an approximately 3/4ct Asscher Cut ------- Single Cut or RB?

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/8/2008 6:07:15 PM
Author: JDam
Which type of melee would look best with an approximately 3/4ct Asscher Cut ------- Single Cut or RB?
Single cuts and asschers rock together.

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/8/2008 5:17:34 PM
Author: Lynn B

Date: 5/8/2008 3:35:41 PM
This is really interesting, Storm, thanks!

I know EXACTLY what you are talking about. In very bright overhead sun, my AGS-0 2.36 RB goes pretty dark and (dare I say!) *murky* (but with large, bold flashes of fire), while my melee (<.02 ACAs) go crazy beautiful, sparkling and twinkling like bright, colorful little disco balls.

So, hypothetically speaking, of course
2.gif
(since I am NOT getting a re-set any time soon!), single cut melee would give me an entirely different look in that type of lighting environment?
You would get bolder flashes off the single cut.
Yes it would be a different look.
Cant say however if you would like it better.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results