shape
carat
color
clarity

White Sapphire vs. Diamond

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Aloros

Brilliant_Rock
I just thought it might be helpful to post a visual comparison between a white sapphire and a diamond, since I know some people have questions about using white sapphires as a "substitute" for diamonds. Now, mind you, the photograph isn''t that great - I only have my dinky digital point and shoot. Both stones are much more brilliant in person. But you get an idea for the differences.

Try to guess which is which...

sapphirediamondcomp.jpg

Aloros

Brilliant_Rock
...did you guess?

I''ll bet you guessed right. The top is ~.30 ct diamond center stone (I''m not certain of the specifics - this was my grandmother''s ring and I have yet to get it appraised) and the bottom is a .63 ct internally flawless, untreated white sapphire from Natural Sapphire Company.

The white sapphire has a very faint blue-ish tint to it. Both stones sparkle, approximately the same amount, and while the sapphire throws some rainbows, the diamond is definitely more rainbow-y.

The bright areas, by sunlight, are equally bright, but the dark areas differ. The dark areas on the diamond are definitely darker than the dark areas on the sapphire. There is a little less contrast on the sapphire. I find the diamond looks a little more metallic, and the sapphire comes across as more icy.

Side by side, it is easy to tell which is the diamond and which is the sapphire. Individually, it becomes more difficult.

I find myself informing others that the stone is a sapphire. They do assume that it is a diamond!

Not really a substitute, then, if you are captivated by the beauty and refraction of a diamond. The white sapphire, however, does have a beauty all its own. I''d recommend looking at one in person before deciding to go that route.

And if you can, try to see one in a setting - this is just opinion, but I think it looks better once set.

Hope this helps! Not very technical, I know!
9.gif

Circe

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Very cool - thanks for sharing this!

Aloros

Brilliant_Rock
different lighting...

sapphirediamondcomp2.jpg

Aloros

Brilliant_Rock
The sapphire showing off some fire!

sapphirediamondcomp3.jpg

PrettyBlues

Shiny_Rock
I have always wondered how they look side by side. Thanks for posting this!

MoonWater

Ideal_Rock
Thanks Aloros! I plan to buy white sapphire studs from NSC and I was wondering how they would sparkle. You have excellent timing! Feel free to post more pics (in fact is there a thread for the sapphire ring?)

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It appears the sapphire isn''t as "clear" as the diamond.

Sharon101

Brilliant_Rock
Im sure that irl the sapphire is taken for being a diamond. But it probably looks like a diamond that is not the best quality, if it is being compared using diamond criteria. eg the sappire looks more hazy or foggy. But as a sapphire, when being judged and looked at for what it is, it has heaps of beauty and character.

iheartscience

Super_Ideal_Rock
Cool thread, Aloros! I agree with Chrono and Sharon-the sapphire looks cloudy and hazy compared to the diamond.

Diamond*Dana

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thank you for the comparison...I used to have a ring with white sapphires, and they had a hazy look to them when compared to diamonds, especially when they needed a cleaning. That is a beautiful e-ring that your grandmother had, I love the setting! And I love the blue tint to the sapphire
30.gif

Aloros

Brilliant_Rock
I''ll see if I can borrow my FI''s camera and get some better pictures sometime. The sapphire, when clean, doesn''t actually appear hazy in person. I think cookiemonster had a thread somewhere with some great photos of a white sapphire ring. Side by side, it is very obviously not a diamond though - not as dramatic. I''d never pair the two together.

I have noticed that it gets dirtier a lot easier than a diamond, and will go foggy if not cleaned regularly.

Cleo

Brilliant_Rock
I really enjoyed seeing these photos - thankyou! I love the white/blue colour of your sapphire! :)

If anyone would find it helpful I have a yg cross with a white sapphire set in it - about 0.25ct I think. I haven''t worn it for ages, but I can''t really recall it looking anything other than like a diamond: but I have never put the two side-by-side... so this thread has been an interesting comparison!

I would rather have a gorgeous white sapphire than a yucky diamond! :)

x x x

beryl

Shiny_Rock
Congratulations on your posting. I tell folks that the most beautiful stone I ever cut was a blue-white sapphire. The slight blue made it appear whiter - like the bluing my Ma put in white shirts. Sadly, I never saw it set - it was sold the same day it was set !!

Aloros

Brilliant_Rock
I''m a dork. It might help if I cleaned off my camera lens...

I gave both rings a bath, to show them to their best advantage. STILL, both are a little more sparkly in person, but this is much closer to how they appear. It''s a good representation of the color difference as well.

sapphirediamondcomp4.jpg

Aloros

Brilliant_Rock

sapphirediamondcomp5.jpg

Aloros

Brilliant_Rock

sapphirediamondcomp7.jpg

MoonWater

Ideal_Rock
I''m totally sold. I can''t wait to get some studs!

Fly Girl

Ideal_Rock
Thanks for the comparison shots. Nice rings!

Diamond*Dana

Ideal_Rock
Premium
The sapphire looks almost lavender in the first picture after the bath...very pretty color!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results