shape
carat
color
clarity

Tension Rings

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

krohrbaugh

Rough_Rock
My S.O. and I are currently on the market for an engagement ring and we''re both very interested in tension rings. We''ve made the rounds to the local jewelers and been encouraged by the B&M sales reps to steer clear of tension rings because the diamonds always fall out.

After having researched this on Pricescope and other sites, it seems that this is only common with low-quality knock-offs, and that quality tension rings are at least as safe as traditional prong mounts.

That said, it seems that information on how one actually goes about purchasing a ring like this is relatively scarce, so I thought I''d pose a few questions to the community:

1) Does anybody know if Steven Kretchmer''s studio is still doing business following his death? I found their website (http://www.stevenkretchmer.com/) but the site has some very out-of-date events and press information on it, and no list of authorized dealers. I called their phone number and got an answering service that says the company name (they were closed but it was in the evening), but was curious if anyone had information.

2) When purchasing a tension ring, does one buy the diamond and then send it in to a specialized studio to actually make the ring? It seems that Kretchmer''s studio did all the work in-house due to the patented alloys and process and that special equipment and processes are required in the Niessing and Gelin & Abaci rings, but the actual process of getting one of these isn''t all that clear. Our local jewelers seemed to be implying their jeweler would be doing the mount, but this seems to be the path to a lost diamond since the alloy hardening after mounting is what provides the pressure to hold the stone.

3) Aside from Kretchmer, Niessing and Gelin & Abaci are there any other high-quality sources for tension rings? I''d rather pay a bit more for quality than have a ring that needs tightened every three months or to lose the diamond altogether.

4) Are we crazy for wanting a tension ring? They look really unique and interesting, but the re-sizing issue and limited availability to see them in person before purchasing is a bit concerning.

Any other tips or information would be helpful. This whole thing is new for us, so we''re just kind of fumbling around in the dark.

Thanks!

QueenG

Shiny_Rock
MikeRato1 reecently proposed with a GORGEOUS Kretchmer ring; Here''s the link:

https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/steven-kretchmer-tension-finally-done.81479/

I can''t recall all of the information about where he got the ring off the top of my head, but it should be in there somewhere. Sorry to not look through it myself; my allergies are making my eyes burn so much. I shouldn''t even be looking at a computer screen, but I can''t avoid this site!

I had a tension-set ring for about a week. It was a much smaller diamond and a Right Hand Ring. I thought it was the coolest ring ever, got tons of compliments, but it didn''t mesh well with the fact that I wear gloves at work. It spun around a bit too much, got caught in the gloves, felt weird... Just something I feel like I need to point out b/c I don''t think people take into account with this style. BTW, my ring was from Feniom (a Belgian Titanium Company). In the end, I got the same ring, only with the diamond placed in a hole they bore into the metal. I still get compliments. I''ve also tried on Gelin & Abaci engagement rings... Gorgeous, but if you press down on the ring, you get poked by the culet of the diamond! Again, maybe I think too much about comfort, but it goes back to those gloves again (and the fact that I''m left-handed). Basically, have your lady try some of these rings on first before going forward. There ARE Brick and Mortar stores that carry them, so I suggest doing that first. They are gorgeous works of art, but they are a bit more bulky than your average ring b/c of the physics of the tension setting.

BTW, Xen, a German company, also makes great tension rings, but they work with stainless steel. The companies you listed seem like the experts, so I''d stick with them!

Oh, attached is a pic of the ring I had for a week. :-/

feniomtension5426.jpg

MikeRato1

Shiny_Rock
krohrbaugh - thought i would add my 2cents since i had the same dilemma awhile back, after MONTHS of research i found out that you must stick with a company known for tensions. the only ones i personally would work with were kretchmer, niessing, and g&a. all which must make the setting in their studios (not from your local jeweler). your first step should be to locate a jeweler who works with the above companies. only these jewelers are authorized to send them your stone (whether it is bought from them or online) for them to make the setting (each setting is made personally for your perticular diamond)
i have asked kretchmers studios about their website and it seems they have their new updated one up for only a day before they went back to their old one and they said they had issues with it. so im guessing their website should be up and running soon, however g&a and niessing have good websited with lots of pictures available
i do not think you are crazy at all for wanting a tension. i do not know how much pressure exactly is keeping this diamond in the setting but it is very strong. and works well for my girl b/c she is very active so thats the main reason she did not wont a ring with prongs.

check out my other threads for some photos and let me know if i can be of any help
good luck
~mike

MikeRato1

Shiny_Rock
limited availability to see them in person before purchasing is a bit concerning.
this is true but stores do not carry a large selection b/c they have to make them all around the YOUR ring, but if you ask, the jeweler can get any style in for you to see/try on and it only took them 2 days for each one i suggested.

Gorgeous, but if you press down on the ring, you get poked by the culet of the diamond!

the ones that we have tried on did not do this, however all the ones she tried on sat up a tad bit. i cant speak for the other companies but i know kretchmers studios design the setting so this does not happen (see pics as the culet is not near touching her skin)

edit - heres my other thread where it shows the ring on her finger...

https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/hand-shots-as-promised.82536/

Vote4PedroToo

Shiny_Rock
Here is my NIESSING POST. I just got mine in December 07.

With Niessing, I don't think you have to use their stone, but they won't guarantee that they can place the diamond in their settings without examining it first. I am pretty sure Kretchmer is the same. Kretchmer is still in business. His daughter Claudia is running it.

I might catch a little heat here, but i sort of feel GA are just knocking off Kretchmer and Niessing. Although they have a bunch of their own designs, they have ones oddly too similar to both other parties. Kretchmer and Niessing each have their own designs and patents. They made an agreement not to copy designs and respected eachother's work. I'm sort of anal about this, but for such an investment, I wanted an original piece of art. That said, I know that GA are reliable. There is also STUART MOORE
I personally would only choose Niessing, Kretchmer, G&A or Stuart Moore.

My ring is really comfortable. I can see the diamond touching my skin, but even when I push on it, I can't feel it. It is heavy thought I take it off at night.

I am not sure where you are located, but I purchased my ring from the Niessing store in Los Angeles. The jeweler there said he could make minor adjustments to the size. I'm not worried about the sizing though.

I love my ring. And if I'm crazy for loving it than I don't want to be sane!
26.gif

krohrbaugh

Rough_Rock
Wanted to add a bit more information, as I made some more calls today. First of all, it looks like there''s a Kretchmer authorized retailer about an hour from home (I''m in Cincinnati, Ohio) so we''ll be making the trip up to look at their selection in the next day or two. I also found a GA retailer in the city, so we''ll check them out over the weekend, but I have to agree that those rings seem to be knock-offs of Niessing/Kretchmer and since they are all expensive settings regardless, I''d sort of like the Kretchmer one anyhow.

I also called Kretchmer to get the retailer and spoke with them about their website; the person who answered the phone said they were just in a meeting about the website and that they hoped to have the new version of the site up in the next few weeks. So, hopefully by May 2008 it''ll be up with their entire collection.

Thanks for all the advice, please keep it coming!

MikeRato1

Shiny_Rock
pedros ring is gorgeous also. i also saw a niessing (open end i think) posted awhile back and that is another of my fav''s
if u do decide on a kretchmer your jeweler will have you sized with kretchmers measurments, they are different from regular ring sizes
for example, my fiance was a 48.5
good luck and keep us updated

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results