shape
carat
color
clarity

Dad buying mom an anniversary ring! Help!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Cleopatra

Brilliant_Rock
I''m so excited about this! My dad told me this morning on our daily on-the-way-to-work talks that he''s planning on buying my mom a new ring for their 35th Anniversary this May. Back when my dad proposed, they were very poor and he spent a whopping $350 on her ring. She''s worn a thousand little diamonds all piled up to look like one big rock for the past 35 years without a single complaint or request for a new one.

He told me that he doesn''t want to spend any more than $2,000, which I know is do-able. My mom is not a flashy person and I can''t see her with a big rock on her finger anyways - so I think that $2,000 is a suitable budget for what my mom would want.

He left the ring selection up to me (how fun!!)

Here''s what I know so far: Definitely white gold, I''m not certain about a solitaire - maybe a three stone or a solitaire with a halo - my mom LOVES all things "antique" - so, if possible, I''d love to find her something to that affect - and halo''s have that beautiful victorian feel to her...

Any help would be massively appreciated since I really don''t know where to start! I never went ring shopping with FI, so I''m not positive if these requests are even possible with the budget given.

Thanks in advance ladies!

arjunajane

Ideal_Rock
Phew, where to start, so many choices! What a fantastic gesture from your dad, very sweet!
I would take a browse through http://www.pearlmansjewelers.com/
Check out the close out section for great deals on new and used rings.

As far as the halo, I think that sounds like a fab idea - would your dad be willing to go to maybe $2500 for a halo ring with a nice centre stone? I''m sure others can chime in here, but personally I''m not that sure about a whole halo ring for 2K..
I would definately check out the Beverley K selection on Pearlmans as they have excatly that antiquey look your mum likes for very reasonable prices. Just go to the "designers" section and click on Bev K - heaps of choice!

The other suggestion I would make is a nice classy size solitaire from WF using one of their stock settings - I personally considered this one and think it looks nice http://www.whiteflash.com/Engagement-Rings/Styles/Diamond-Settings/-Flush-Fit--Diamond-Ring_1063.htm
After that setting, that will still leave you with $1200 for a lovely ACA or expert selection round brilliant from WF which will sparkle like mad
5.gif

This was just a very quick search, but you could get a amazing cut ACA 0.4ct from WF for just over $1100 - probably less as you will get discounts for being a PS member
http://www.whiteflash.com/hearts_arrows/A-Cut-Above-H-A-cut-diamond-636641.htm

Not sure if that fits her taste, but it will blow most rings out of the water for fire and sparkle!

Hope that helps a lil for now, I''ll go off and get you some pics hopefully of Bev K rings in your price range.
Please let us know if any Qs !
1.gif

arjunajane

Ideal_Rock

arjunajane

Ideal_Rock
Seeing as your mum likes the vintage look, many of the Bev K range is Perfect for this!
I''m not sure how she feels about this sort of style instead of a solitaire - I thought it could be appropriate?
These all range about $1000 - $1500 and I think they look just Stunning and very classy.
Hope you don''t mind all the suggestions, i love to do this sorta thing (obviously!)
1.gif

158PP13BK.jpg

Cleopatra

Brilliant_Rock
Thank you so much for all of your information! Those Bev K settings are GORGEOUS and exactly what my mom would love!! And I''ve seen some great settings that would be in the right price range and still allow for a great diamond! Thank you so much!

LOVE that eternity band! If my dad hadn''t bought her one similar to that for Christmas this year, that would be a go (hmmm....although I could always use some new sparklies
30.gif
)

arjunajane

Ideal_Rock
another..

146PP13bk.jpg

arjunajane

Ideal_Rock

vslover

Shiny_Rock
Date: 4/10/2008 9:06:00 AM
Author: Cleopatra
Question for you diamond connoisseurs...I haven''t yet reached the peak of my diamond knowledge, but I found this diamond on Bluenile....wondering if it''s any good?

http://www.bluenile.com/diamonds_details.asp?filter_id=1&pid1=LD01302912&track=tab_view_link

And saw this setting - both diamond and setting would be right at $2,000

http://www.bluenile.com/product_details.asp?filter_id=1&oid=5410&track=tab_view_link

That would make a beautiful ring! I bet she''d love it...

arjunajane

Ideal_Rock
both of those would have left you just under $1000 for the diamond..
What do ya think?

110PP13bk.jpg

Cleopatra

Brilliant_Rock
That''s the exact setting that I saved on my desktop - I really think that''s a winner - absolutely what she''d be looking for and I have no doubt that my dad would up the budget for this stunner - he knows exactly how much my mom would kill for a ring like this!

I''m so excited about this! Perfect setting and I''m positive that i''ll find a perfect diamond to make the look complete!

Thanks so much for your help! I thought that Bev K settings would be out of my price range!

arjunajane

Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/10/2008 9:12:53 AM
Author: Cleopatra
That''s the exact setting that I saved on my desktop - I really think that''s a winner - absolutely what she''d be looking for and I have no doubt that my dad would up the budget for this stunner - he knows exactly how much my mom would kill for a ring like this!

I''m so excited about this! Perfect setting and I''m positive that i''ll find a perfect diamond to make the look complete!

Thanks so much for your help! I thought that Bev K settings would be out of my price range!
Wow thats great news!
Your absolutely welcome ! I''m glad I could help at all. That setting is listed for just over $1500, but I''m sure Bill at P''mans could offer you a PS discount too if you ask nicely..
2.gif
Then another $700 - $800 for the diamond would make a beautiful ring in a substantial size.
I would suggest now perhaps start a new thread and get the experts to help you search for the ideal diamond for that setting -post what you want in price, size colour etc.. I would guess that a WF ACA would be perfect, or perhaps a high grade RB from Good Old Gold?
I''m not that well versed on RB''s, but will be glad to help if I can !
5.gif

Just a sidenote - I know halo''s aren''t usually considered upgradable, but BN is one of the vendors that doesn''t have an upgrade policy for their diamonds - you know, just incase your dad decides to do something nice for their next anny!
11.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results